Topic Options
#2378671 - 09/29/17 04:27 AM Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted.
SNK-EYZ Offline
master

Loc: Lost in Space
Here's the questions, please feel free to voice any opinions I'm trying to get realistic feedback.

The event would be a typical two day Mopar only Car Show/Race, with a swap meet and some vendors held at a drag strip so there will be racing to watch.

Question 1.

What do most consider as a fair cost/price for entry into a two day car show at a racetrack for the car show part?
(judged entry or non-judge/fun field entry)

Question 2.

What do most consider fair as entry fees for the drag racing part?

Obviously to some extent it would be affected by the classes and race payouts.

Question 3.

One person entry or two with preregistration?

Question 4.

If someone was willing to take the financial risk and put on a Mopar Event at Gateway would you attend?

Yes, Someone is looking at the financial viability of putting on a Mopar Event in 2018 at Gateway and wants feedback from people on what it would take to get people to actually attend.

The feedback that is given to him by November will help decide if it will happen or not.

Please feel free to discuss and bring up anything that would be relative to this.
Anything that you think would be helpful at all.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol

#2378738 - 09/29/17 09:45 AM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
cgall Offline
top fuel

Loc: SW Ohio
From a racer’s viewpoint that has been to many of these Mopar-themed events over the years, here are a few things that would interest me in spending the weekend:

1. Good payback/entry fee ratio. I am willing to pay up to $100 to enter, but I want my money back if I win 3rd round. Offering $5K to win will draw out some of the heavy hitters in the sport, but small-time guys like me would rather see 8 places paid, preferably 16. The old Chrysler Classic format was fine with me, $75 entry for $1500 to win, 8 places paid. Cutting the purse or canceling the event due to a poor turnout is a death sentence.
2. Good racing surface, good track staff, smooth running event. Two hours for a cleanup is unacceptable, the track must have sufficient workers and equipment to handle emergencies.
3. At least two chances to win $$$, preferably 3. A gambler on Friday and Saturday, main event with buybacks on Sunday. A track TNT for all makes or Mopars vs. the world are negative for me.
4. Good weather, always the main factor, impossible to predict, makes promoting drag racing events of all kinds a very risky business. Most racers understand the promoter needs to make money or he won’t be back, by the same token racers won’t be back if they feel they have been fleeced. Purse structure and rainout policy must be stated in advance.

#2378824 - 09/29/17 11:34 AM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
318 Stroker Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Mo
Rich,

1. Judged 50.00, non-judged 35.00
Shouldn't matter if it's pre-entry or day of show drive-up.

2. I'm not a racer.

3. 2 passes

4. Yes.

Note: No charge for trailer parking.

#2378885 - 09/29/17 01:08 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
wylde8 Offline
top fuel

Loc: St. Louis, MO
1. I think $50 is pretty fair.

2. I have no idea.

3. Two with preregistration would probably be a good selling point.

4. Yes.

#2379049 - 09/29/17 07:07 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: wylde8]
DaveRS23 Offline
master

Loc: Benton, IL.
iagree

It would really be nice to have a good Mopar event at Gateway again!

#2379394 - 09/30/17 01:40 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: DaveRS23]
SNK-EYZ Offline
master

Thanks to all for the input so far.

The more feedback that I can relay the better.

Any opinions or ideas on what can help make it so that people will want to attend, post them up here.

#2379436 - 09/30/17 03:36 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
65pacecar Offline
master

Loc: KY
Judged $40 non judged 25. Two passes. Not a racer so no opinion on entry. Also separate show cars and vendors from pit to reduce traffic and noise around those areas for more pleasant experience. No golf carts or atvs except for people who medically need them. Maybe a few officials on carts that can assist large orders or loads back to car/ truck or allow temporary admission to vehicles to swap area to pick up large loads.

#2379450 - 09/30/17 04:34 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
69_SIX_PACK Offline
master

Loc: Brantford Ontario
I think kids under the age of 18 should be free when accompanied by paying customers. Sometimes it gets real expensive for a family to enjoy a day out at the show/track. I think they are important to keep the hobby going.

#1. $20
#2. $50
#3. 2
#4. Too far for me.

Dave
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 Six Barrel 4-Speed 3:54 Dana
RM23V0A117501 - Looking for the Original Engine (or a close date code Lynch Rd block) and Broadcast Sheet

#2379488 - 09/30/17 05:39 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Get a hold of Phil Painter. He and his brother puts on Mopars on the Strip

Phil Painter

PHONE: 702-256-8254 or 702-858-8685

Edited by dart4forte (09/30/17 05:41 PM)

#2380451 - 10/02/17 08:21 AM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
duster2 Offline
super stock

Loc: Midwestern Indiana
Yes I will attend. Get hold of the guy that did the swap meet for the old Monster Mopar show and the show last year. He knows what it takes to do the swap meet right , with fair and just pricing.
Just try not to conflict with other established Mopar shows...

Frank Long . The Wheel Guy

#2380464 - 10/02/17 08:56 AM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: dart4forte]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted By dart4forte

Phil Painter

Phil did the show there the last time, did not work out well for him. It needs to be a local guy who does it like it started out. You need a dedicated guy to do the race portion who will market it to the racers, this is the ONLY way it could work. Gateway is too big of a place for one guy to figure everything out, so basically one for show, one for the race, and one for the swap. They will have to put together each team to run those areas, only they could tell you what they think the market will bear. Been there, done that, it is a daunting task, but I would love to see a successful show come back to Gateway! up

JB Rhinehart, Realist

#2382540 - 10/05/17 03:20 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: Rhinodart]
SNK-EYZ Offline
master

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
Originally Posted By dart4forte

Phil Painter

Phil did the show there the last time, did not work out well for him. It needs to be a local guy who does it like it started out. You need a dedicated guy to do the race portion who will market it to the racers, this is the ONLY way it could work. Gateway is too big of a place for one guy to figure everything out, so basically one for show, one for the race, and one for the swap. They will have to put together each team to run those areas, only they could tell you what they think the market will bear. Been there, done that, it is a daunting task, but I would love to see a successful show come back to Gateway! up

The reality is that it's actually Phil Painter that wants the information.

I've been waiting to hear back from Phil to see if he wanted the public to know that it was actually him wanting the info, but since he hasn't gotten back to me saying anything I figured "screw it" there's no reason anyone shouldn't know it him.

Since the last show he tried to do at Gateway lost money he's trying to see what it's going to take to get people to actually show up to an event.

He was in town last week for the U.S. Nationals at Gateway and came by the Gateway Classic Mopar Clubs Thursday get together wanted to talk to them about another attempt at doing a Car Show/Race.

The tentative plan this time is to not rent the oval since it doubles the cost of the track rental.
Everything would be around the dragstrip area.

Basically,
What's it going to take to get people to actually show up?

#2383061 - 10/06/17 03:51 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
duster2 Offline
super stock

There is the problem we ran into before , the swap meet was on the west side of the strip , you could only talk to customers inbetween drag car passes. I guess if we swap meet people know that going in , then we will have to deal with it the best way we can.

Frank

#2383481 - 10/07/17 02:50 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
JJ300 Offline
super stock

Loc: Northwood, Ohio
1. $50.00
2. NA
3. 2
4. Yes. Been wanting to get to this track for a show a long time.

#2383735 - 10/08/17 04:48 AM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: duster2]
68KillerBee Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By duster2
There is the problem we ran into before , the swap meet was on the west side of the strip , you could only talk to customers inbetween drag car passes. I guess if we swap meet people know that going in , then we will have to deal with it the best way we can.

Frank

There is more than enough room for swap/car show and race for now. They can all park in the pits. Gateway has also made their parking lot bigger for spectators.
If he can keep the oval track out of the plan, I think it would be great for him. The reason it was near impossible to fit everyone in the pits years ago was because Monster Mopar had some of the biggest payouts for an all mopar race so lots of racers came. Not to mention a huge swap and car show presence.

After a few years of just sticking to the drag racing side of the complex, maybe it will be big enough for the oval track to be rented out again. But Phil should have the numbers and see how many cars came on the show side (judged and non-judged combined), swap spots, and then racers. Then compare it to the number of spots in the pit area.
Worst part of no oval is that the wing cars wont get their laps in, which was always cool to see. But I'd rather have something there instead of just memories about how we used to have a great show at the track.

Questions:
1)$55 judged. $45 non-judged. Both include two weekend passes.
2) drag racing, I don't know.
3)2 weekend passes
4) Obviously yes, along with at least 5 cars from my family. Probably a swap spot. Then a bunch of family to come in as spectators or the +1 of the cars.

I drove my super bee there last year and just left it in the show field all weekend while I swapped. I always support the efforts we have around here for mopar shows.
Side note: Avoid squealing your tires over by the stop sign after the stoplight. The same lady sits there both days apparently, has a good memory, and will chase you down the second day. Or so i've heard whistling drive Also, she may subsequently watch you for 30 minutes while you pack up your swap spot.

Families rides: 68 Super Bee, 68 GTX 'vert, 73 Charger, (2) 2010 Challenger r/t's. All 3 pedal equipped. 70 AAR. 71 b'cuda

#2384082 - 10/08/17 06:23 PM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: SNK-EYZ]
duster2 Offline
super stock

The last time I was anywhere near the actual drag strip and pit area , was when the above mentioned swap meet was in that area. I see the inside of the oval and that's it , when we do a Mopar show at Gateway.

If that's what it takes ( just rent the drag strip and pit area ) then I say yes , we can make it work. Believe me , I am fully behind a Mopar show at Gateway.

Last year the biggest complain I heard was the cost for the show car people.

Swap spots one ticket per rented 10 foot wide spot ( 10 wide x 20
deep = 1 ticket , 20 wide x 20 deep = 2 tickets and 30 wide x 20 deep
= 3 tickets. ) I usually get 30 to 50 front space cause I have 2 to 4 helpers with me.

Frank

Edited by duster2 (10/08/17 06:24 PM)

#2384281 - 10/09/17 03:18 AM Re: Mopar Car Show/Race pricing opinions wanted. [Re: duster2]
SNK-EYZ Offline
master

Whether they're attainable numbers or not remains to be seen, but what Phil says that he needs as far as car counts are roughly 350 show cars and 350 race cars to be entered in the event to not be a money loser.

Thanks again for the replies already posted.

The more responses here that people make the better and will give him feedback on what it will take to get people attending the better.

Post anything that you think will help get people to show up.

Everyone should try to post an opinion good or bad rather than just read the thread and move on without replying. twocents

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,901 Registered Members
32 Forums
184,323 Topics
2,135,679 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
What Rim is this??
by EV2 340