S
Sneke_Eyez Offline OP
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts

Alright, I just pulled the trigger on the following for my 69 Satellite Wagon:

1) 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi with 43k (Complete with accessories)
2) 2009 Ram 545RFE RWD with 46k
3) 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi ECM
4) 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi Gas Pedal and O2 sensors (from the engine donor)
5) Hotwire Harness (and they will reprogram the ECM when I send it to them)

I pick the engine, tranny and ECM up on Saturday morning.

Hotwire harness should be done soon after I get a chance to go over the motor and needed items with them.

I am a newbie at this Hemi swap thing, I've just been generally reading about it for years and wanting to do it.
I decided to call Hotwire after hearing all of their great recommendations and went with the advice of Chris at Hotwire on what components to buy.

The car currently has a stock 69 A/C equipped 318 with a 26'' radiator.
It runs good, but the 318 is slow and leaky and the A/C isn't connected.

I want close to 400HP and a turn-key, A/C equipped car I can comfortably drive anywhere.

I have a bunch of Hemi swap questions, but I'm not all that sure this is the place on Moparts, so just tell me to go somewhere else if I'm not asking in the right place.

I'll just get started asking them and see if anyone has thoughts:

1) Can I run the stock 13 Ram power steering pump with my stock 69 steering box or am I going to have to go to something else due to size and pressure considerations? If so, what, the Borgeson box?

2) Can I re-use my stock radiator? It is in pretty good shape and doesn't leak.

3) What are people using to reliably get enough fuel to one of these motors? A couple of years ago I put a brand new tank in this car. Should I cut into it and use an Aeromotive Stealth or is there something less expensive I can use that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't whine too badly if it is mounted outside the tank?

4) What are people using with a 545RFE as a tranny crossmember?

5) The car is currently column shifted. I will be building a custom center console for it as part of this swap and swapping to console shift, what are people using so shift these 545RFEs?

6) Is the Milodon oil pan still the go-to for swaps? I need that and the pick up as well, right?

7) What is the best way to get the A/C working without spending a ton of extra money? The car is set up for it from the factory, but I've never used it because it was disconnected when I bought the car.

8) Anything I should consider doing for maintenance to this 13 Hemi motor before I put it into the car? I want to make sure once it is in it doesn't need to come out immediately, but I bought a fairly low mileage motor so I wouldn't have to spend big bucks on maintenance right off the bat.

That's all I can think of for now - thanks for your help as always Moparts!

1969 Satellite Wagon - G3 Hemi Swap Incoming. | 1969 Coronet Post Coupe.
2002 Intrepid ES | 2009 Ram SLT | 2004 300M Special | 2002 300M Pro Am - Hers

Are you a New England Mopar Enthusiast?
Come check out the revived NorthEast Mighty Mopar at www.northeastmightymopar.com
!
Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2355715
08/17/17 09:57 PM
08/17/17 09:57 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Valve springs can break on these even with low miles, might as well put in new ones while you got the motor out, since your doing that you might as well get 6.4 springs and the matching cam (cam is way bigger and only cost me $68 at the local dealer). You can reuse the stock pushrods but check for wear on the rocker end, we have had a lot of luck fixin the infamous hemi tick by putting in new pushrods, you could also look into getting a custom PR .050 longer than stock but it don't seem to be needed.

They came with 395 ish HP, that cam should put you way over the top. Heck even a good set of long tube headers should do the trick but they cost a lot more unless you are planning to use some anyhow.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: HotRodDave] #2355987
08/18/17 12:24 PM
08/18/17 12:24 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline OP
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By HotRodDave
Valve springs can break on these even with low miles, might as well put in new ones while you got the motor out, since your doing that you might as well get 6.4 springs and the matching cam (cam is way bigger and only cost me $68 at the local dealer). You can reuse the stock pushrods but check for wear on the rocker end, we have had a lot of luck fixin the infamous hemi tick by putting in new pushrods, you could also look into getting a custom PR .050 longer than stock but it don't seem to be needed.

They came with 395 ish HP, that cam should put you way over the top. Heck even a good set of long tube headers should do the trick but they cost a lot more unless you are planning to use some anyhow.

So valve springs even on a 2013 with low miles?
I didn't realize they were that prone to breakage.

Hmm, that's an option to think about with the cam though.

I'm interested right now though in just making sure I've got needed components for it to run.

Come check out the revived NorthEast Mighty Mopar at www.northeastmightymopar.com
!
Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2356910
08/20/17 01:27 AM
08/20/17 01:27 AM
Norwalk, Ohio
sycboi Offline
super stock
sycboi  Offline
super stock

Norwalk, Ohio
Originally Posted By Sneke_Eyez

1) Can I run the stock 13 Ram power steering pump with my stock 69 steering box or am I going to have to go to something else due to size and pressure considerations? If so, what, the Borgeson box?

I believe the pressure difference is an issue when using older steering boxes with the newer Hemi pumps. We always went manual steering, like on the Challenger, so it wasn't a concern to run the ps pump. I wish I was educated enough to tell you more.

Yes absolutely. We have used stock and aftermarket aluminum with success.

3) What are people using to reliably get enough fuel to one of these motors? A couple of years ago I put a brand new tank in this car. Should I cut into it and use an Aeromotive Stealth or is there something less expensive I can use that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't whine too badly if it is mounted outside the tank?

An in-tank pump is going to be your most quiet and reliable option. The set-up just runs cooler and there is more sound reduction with an in-tank. We have used all types and the frame-mount pumps are noisy and don't seem to last an awful long time when they are the high pressure pumps needed for injection applications.

We have fabbed every crossmember because we either had to make a new tunnel anyways or because it was a 4wd vehicle and it was easier than modding the original.

5) The car is currently column shifted. I will be building a custom center console for it as part of this swap and swapping to console shift, what are people using so shift these 545RFEs?

I console mount a 3-speed shifter, stock slap-stick style or aftermarket, and loop a cable , usually a factory Jeep cable, towards the front and then run it back, mounted to the 545RFE transmission, and clip it on the selector arm.

6) Is the Milodon oil pan still the go-to for swaps? I need that and the pick up as well, right?

We use the Milodon pan & pick-up for factory k-member cars and the rear sump truck pans for vehicles without clearance issues.

7) What is the best way to get the A/C working without spending a ton of extra money? The car is set up for it from the factory, but I've never used it because it was disconnected when I bought the car.

That could be as simple as making proper hoses to make the connections and charging the system to as much as pulling your under-dash hvac box and replacing parts from there to the condenser in front of the radiator.

8) Anything I should consider doing for maintenance to this 13 Hemi motor before I put it into the car? I want to make sure once it is in it doesn't need to come out immediately, but I bought a fairly low mileage motor so I wouldn't have to spend big bucks on maintenance right off the bat.

Low mileage engine. I'd just get it installed and functional to the car. If it's from a running wrecked vehicle I think you'll be ok to get down the road quite a bit longer before you'll need to worry about internal engine maintenance.

Awesome car by the way. Best of luck. -Michael

SuperBeast

An enforcer for the Mopar Mafia!
Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2357000
08/20/17 10:02 AM
08/20/17 10:02 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline
top fuel

MD
Quote:

I believe you need to reduce pressure of the stock pump. Bouchillon sells reduced pressure p/s pumps or you could plumb a an adjustable p/s valve.
Maybe there is a way to reduce pressure of a stock pump?
Also see that people swap for a Saginaw 2 pump.

Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: RTSE4ME] #2357664
08/21/17 04:48 PM
08/21/17 04:48 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

The air conditioning system from firewall back probably needs to be flushed out and tested. I'd suggest doing that while the engine compartment is empty.

R.

Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2358000
08/22/17 07:15 AM
08/22/17 07:15 AM
Trumbauersville PA
ric3xrt Offline
pro stock
ric3xrt  Offline
pro stock

Trumbauersville PA
Awesome wagon, Love the whole plan except the 545RFE.
if you can go NAG1 or518/46rh do it.
Love those wagons

Truth has no agenda, but those with an agenda make their own truth.
Some of us are so open minded they only see their View

Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: sycboi] #2358093
08/22/17 01:34 PM
08/22/17 01:34 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline OP
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By sycboi
Originally Posted By Sneke_Eyez

I believe the pressure difference is an issue when using older steering boxes with the newer Hemi pumps. We always went manual steering, like on the Challenger, so it wasn't a concern to run the ps pump. I wish I was educated enough to tell you more.

So I've gotta explore more about the power steering (I'd like to keep it).
I've kind of always wanted to do the Borgeson upgrade anyway, so maybe I'll just pay the money and do it. I'll have to confirm it will work with the stock Hemi pump though.

Yes absolutely. We have used stock and aftermarket aluminum with success.

That's what I like to hear! Anything I can re-use is good!

An in-tank pump is going to be your most quiet and reliable option. The set-up just runs cooler and there is more sound reduction with an in-tank. We have used all types and the frame-mount pumps are noisy and don't seem to last an awful long time when they are the high pressure pumps needed for injection applications.

Alright great, will plan on an in-tank then.
Does anyone have a particular recommended in-tank pump for the Hemi swap application?

We have fabbed every crossmember because we either had to make a new tunnel anyways or because it was a 4wd vehicle and it was easier than modding the original.

Ok, I will plan to fab one then. Not too much fab experience in my life, but there's always time to learn!

I console mount a 3-speed shifter, stock slap-stick style or aftermarket, and loop a cable , usually a factory Jeep cable, towards the front and then run it back, mounted to the 545RFE transmission, and clip it on the selector arm.

Thanks, this sounds do-able. Still not sure what shifter I will use for the swap, but this gives me a lot of options.

We use the Milodon pan & pick-up for factory k-member cars and the rear sump truck pans for vehicles without clearance issues.

So a Milodon it is and I will order that up soon!

That could be as simple as making proper hoses to make the connections and charging the system to as much as pulling your under-dash hvac box and replacing parts from there to the condenser in front of the radiator.

Alright, I'll explore this then. I'd prefer to re-use as much of the stock system as possible to save money.

Low mileage engine. I'd just get it installed and functional to the car. If it's from a running wrecked vehicle I think you'll be ok to get down the road quite a bit longer before you'll need to worry about internal engine maintenance.

Thanks! I really just want to get it running in the car before I start trying to make more power with it.

Awesome car by the way. Best of luck. -Michael

Thanks for your advice!
The car is a lot of fun!

!
Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2366910
09/07/17 12:43 PM
09/07/17 12:43 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
Unless you're dead set on doing a console, you can easily make the column shift work. I'm putting a 5.7 in a 70 Duster with a 545RFE, and will be using column shift. Boden, a member over on FABO (For A Bodies Only) pioneered the column shift in his Duster. You will have to cut a big hunk out of the factory torsion bar cross member to get the 545 up and into where it needs to be, but it's fairly easy to tie it back together and retain it's structural integrity. The 545RFE is worth the trouble, because it has a slip yoke tailshaft, and doesn't need a bunch of electronic stuff to babysit it like a NAG1 does. NAG1 is a stronger transmission, but to me it just ain't worth the trouble! Good luck. up

Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: JDMopar] #2367005
09/07/17 03:37 PM
09/07/17 03:37 PM
Massachusetts
S
Sneke_Eyez Offline OP
enthusiast
Sneke_Eyez  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By JDMopar
Unless you're dead set on doing a console, you can easily make the column shift work. I'm putting a 5.7 in a 70 Duster with a 545RFE, and will be using column shift. Boden, a member over on FABO (For A Bodies Only) pioneered the column shift in his Duster. You will have to cut a big hunk out of the factory torsion bar cross member to get the 545 up and into where it needs to be, but it's fairly easy to tie it back together and retain it's structural integrity. The 545RFE is worth the trouble, because it has a slip yoke tailshaft, and doesn't need a bunch of electronic stuff to babysit it like a NAG1 does. NAG1 is a stronger transmission, but to me it just ain't worth the trouble! Good luck. up

Thanks!

I just found out definitively that I would have to cut the crossmember for the 545RFE.
I wasn't excited about it initially, but I've got a friend committed to helping me get it cut out and fixed up!

!
Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2378352
09/28/17 04:15 PM
09/28/17 04:15 PM
Tx
loganscuda Offline
loganscuda  Offline

Tx
Lokar makes a shifter than bolts directly to the trans that is what I used.

IMG_4974.PNG
Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2378378
09/28/17 04:59 PM
09/28/17 04:59 PM
Tx
loganscuda Offline
loganscuda  Offline

Tx
If I had a wagon I would mid mount that genIII. I have looked into doing a genIII Hemi under glass in another Barracuda. It will be tough but within the next 5 years it will be done. Good luck with your build. I have driven mine all over the country. Very reliable.

Re: A newb Hemi-swapper with a bunch of Hemi build questions. [Re: Sneke_Eyez] #2378380
09/28/17 05:00 PM
09/28/17 05:00 PM
Tx
loganscuda Offline
loganscuda  Offline

Tx
Pace performance now makes a transmission crossmember. If you don't want to fab one yourself