07/28/17 12:04 AM
Florida
C
chryslerfan Offline OP
chryslerfan  Offline OP
C

Florida
Hello

I am new to this board. I grew up with my grandfather in the 1960's who had a small town Chrysler / Plymouth dealership. I am typically a C body lover. I have a 68 Chrysler 300 convertible for example. I started looking for an E body car this spring (not necessarily a hemi) but when going to a showroom here in FL to look at a couple E body cars, I saw a 1968 Hemi Road Runner (data plate has right codes for hemi) with AT and not much else. It is pillar 2 door sedan with AT and traditional taxi cab seat before the decor option came out. It sold in Mecum Kissimmee in January 2017 (if I read the listing for Mecum prior auctions correctly and any of you want to see pictures of it there on their archive). I am sorry I was at Mecum one day too soon and missed seeing it. I am toying with buying this car but not sure how much I can pay and still not be stuck later. It looks to be restored well but am not a mechanic so might have missed something. I normally like higher end cars (power everything and AC) but the hemi mystic is alluring to take to local shows and maybe even AACA (although this one has red line radials and not bias ply tires which would be negative for AACA judging). They also have a 1968 GTX convertible with all the bells and whistles (options such as AC, electric windows, etc) but assume that would be too much like my 300.

Can you experts give me any ideas of things to look out for and the range one might expect to pay for one of these beauties. I try to study what to look for but am likely not focusing on the right things. The guy who owns it said the hemi from 1966 - about 1968 all had about same period date stamps and not specific to a car in particular. Any and all helpful ideas are greatly appreciated.

Re: Thinking of buying a 68 Hemi Road Runner (silver / black) [Re: chryslerfan] #2344632
07/28/17 01:01 AM
07/28/17 01:01 AM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
WELCOME to MOPARTS!!

work well it sold 6 months ago for $67,000 on a big stage, in a room full of guys with pockets full of money looking to buy cars - unless the current owner did something to enhance the value of the car

originally it would've had 15x6 silver painted steel wheels with hub caps & Goodyear SPEEDWAY F70-15 red streak tires

1968 HEMI car engines had the last 8 digits of the VIN stamped on them by the oil sending unit

hemi rr 67K sold Mecum FL2017.jpghemi rr front 67K sold Mecum FL2017.jpghemi rr comp 67K sold Mecum FL2017.jpghemi rr int 67K sold Mecum FL2017.jpg