09/25/17 10:46 PM
09/25/17 10:46 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
99% of Drag Week tech is just sitting in line.... the other 1% was spent making sure my trailer lights worked.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: 67autocross] #2376827
09/25/17 10:52 PM
09/25/17 10:52 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Originally Posted By 67autocross
99% of Drag Week tech is just sitting in line.... the other 1% was spent making sure my trailer lights worked.
haha What class were you running in?

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2376832
09/25/17 10:57 PM
09/25/17 10:57 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Just in street small block n/a... car only runs mid 12s but they never asked.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2376836
09/25/17 11:00 PM
09/25/17 11:00 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Originally Posted By MoparBilly
As Gear Vendors Hot Rod Drag Week presented by Dodge becomes larger and more heavily sponsored year after year, there is a certain amount of kickback against the original premise that David Freiburger laid out twelve years ago which was: "On Drag Week, there are no rules"! When there were 100 or less cars, running at smaller facilities, it had an almost outlaw feel with only cursory tech inspections, and everyone was lumped together in just a few classes with a "let the drives sort them out" attitude. The 11.50 no-bar vs. 10.00 new car stuff is quite frankly a minor nuisance compared to some of the other stuff that goes on, but I've been getting my hands slapped for being a little too revealing in these stories. Watching the live feed is very entertaining for someone participating at Drag Week, who has intimate knowledge of what is going on, because DF and Lohnes are just spit balling up there most of the time on the mics, playing fast and loose with the particulars of everyone's combinations. "The time slips turned in must be above the competitors tech speed", is a very true fact, but many times those are the slowest five passes some guys made all week!

The core of Drag Week is that it is a showcase of fast Street Cars, driven by Street Car guys, so sure you have a handful of serious racer types that compete in various series of competition, but for the most part, many spend very little time at the track, and have little use for NHRA mandated equipment and licenses, so every year there is a crush of would be participants trying to jump through the NHRA hoops to be able to run their cars to their true potential. That situation became even more murky this year as we were starting at an IHRA sanctioned track.

Good insight and explanation there Billy.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: 67autocross] #2376841
09/25/17 11:07 PM
09/25/17 11:07 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Cool. thumbs I'm thinking about Street Machine Eliminator. I know I won't stand a chance but throwing some juice on my motor to get it to low 10s makes me feel like a young(er) man. devil I'll probably have to have the IMM crew put together a new bullet for me.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2377006
09/26/17 10:39 AM
09/26/17 10:39 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
The questions about whether an IHRA license would be accepted on Drag Week popped up about three weeks before the event on the Drag Weekers facebook site, so Hot Rod's social media-internet guru Phillip Thomas felt compelled to inquire. I could have told them NHRA wouldn't play nice, but just like the last 15 posts on this thread everyone wants to drag everything out in the light and get clarification. So to paraphrase the quote from Cool Hand Luke, "that's the way they want it, so they get it. I don't like it any more than you men". The answer cam back through official NHRA channels that the crossover license procedure must be followed, and a convoluted process was laid out by which participants could make one run on Registration Sunday test and tune, then count their Monday time run as the required 2nd pass. Then they would need to get officials to sign off when they arrived at Gateway on Tuesday, and carry the paperwork with them to Byron on Wednesday. It sounded like a disaster on paper, and I knew it would be far worse in actual practice, so there was no way I'd want to be one of those guys struggling to get that done. To make matters worse for those trying to get their licenses in order at the last minute, Hurricane Irma forced the closure of the IHRA offices in Florida, so those who had licensed the week before at an IHRA track couldn't get their paperwork processed!

Boone had managed to sneak through for Drag Week 2016 on the strength of Dale's license, and had used Dale's gear to make his first ever nine second run on the last day. Being of stronger ethical fiber than I am, it bugged him to do it that way, so he was determined to be legal and legit for Drag Week 2017. But, as I documented earlier, they received the 400 engine block with one sleeve back on Friday afternoon, and when calling around, the last chance to hit an NHRA track and make license runs would be that Sunday at Thunder Valley Raceway in Noble. I showed pictures of the quickie build process earlier, and now you know why Dale looks so rough in the previous picture working on the carb. When they rolled into Noble Sunday afternoon, the only sleep he had that weekend was on the drive down to the track. Boone had to pay the track handsomely to be allowed 6 license runs in one day, during a big money bracket bracket race, but he got it done. They had to rotate drivers several times just to make the hundred mile drive back home Sunday night.

D42BlD0D-899871640.jpg20170903_125757.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2377584
09/27/17 10:14 AM
09/27/17 10:14 AM
Indiana
S
Scott58 Offline
Scott58  Offline
S

Indiana
I love the nitrous bottle tucked between his legs!

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2377611
09/27/17 11:02 AM
09/27/17 11:02 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
1962 Valiant
As I glance back to the beginning of this year's update, I realize the last mention of the Valiant is when I began to assess the repairs needed to make Drag Week 2017, after I had parked it with a blown out header tube in December of 2016. The easiest part of the repair was in fact the header itself, aside from re-installing it. I took it to my fabricator (Brian Smith, who built the fiberglass hood the year before), and he literally welded it up as I stood there.

The abused 9" rear end was a little more involved. I had to literally beat the axles out to dissassemble it. I dropped the housing off with John Hindley (johnnyrotten-Moparts, who took his 67 Valiant on Drag Week in 14 and 15) and along with his dad, they attempted to put it on their jig. One tube was three eighths forward, and the other side they couldn't get the jig bar through. The face of the housing where the third member bolts in was also deformed, and the jig plate didn't bolt up flat until the tubes were straightened. I had purchased an All-Star back brace from Summit Racing which looked as though it might need as much fabrication to fit as building your own and tasked them with installing it as well.

A week later I picked up the re-furbished housing in Tucson, with John just shaking his head and adding, "A new Fab-9 housing would have made much more sense at this point!"
"I know, but that would've required new brackets...at that point I probably would need to replace the old ladder bars!"
"Which would have been smart", he agreed, "All that stuff had fifteen years of abuse on it, not to mention five drag weeks!" He shook his head again, "none of those brackets are straight on that housing, the ladder bar mounts are 6 degrees out, and the shock plates are pointing in different directions!"
"I know John, but I'm out of time...again, maybe next year", I agreed as I loaded the housing.
"Yeah right, you won't even adjust the shocks!"

Once I began to re-assemble the 9", it was apparent I had other issues. The drum brakes that have been on it since I purchased the car in 06 were badly worn. One drum was heat cracked, the shoes were shot, and the offset appeared to be wrong as the shoes were riding about a quarter of an inch out of the drums. Searching the internet revealed all the parts were from the early sixties and obsolete. A quality drum brake upgrade was nearly double the price of a disc brake conversion, so it made the decision very easy. Of course, the one size fits all kit from Summit didn't fit the collared, sealed axle bearings, and my son had to put his dremel tool to good use.

20170820_130947.jpg20170820_184314.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2377683
09/27/17 01:08 PM
09/27/17 01:08 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Fab 9 for next year???

I think we aaaaaall know better than that wink

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2377893
09/27/17 07:40 PM
09/27/17 07:40 PM
Finalnd, Perkele
J
jyrki Offline
master
jyrki  Offline
master
J

Finalnd, Perkele
We had fun at Drag Week, even though we had to leave out of the competition after two days. Weren't prepared well enough.

Basically because of all delays with parts and mistakes in machining our scheduled dyno time in January changed in to a rush dyno session in May, and wasn't succesful.

Before shipping the car over, we run a couple of races with problems, changed the cam and springs but it didn't seem to work, so we ordered a new one and decided to change it in USA. Only had about 25 miles of street driving before shipping.

The converter also slipped too much, so ordered a new one to states from PTC. However, they shipped it to Finland, so had to order still another one...

Once there we got a great garage in Illinois that Tepens' family provided, and got the changes done before the race. Had to also do some tire work, get tools, chemicals, spares etc etc.

On Wednesday we were ready and drove the car 40 miles to Gateway for some testing. The test went well, got three runs, the A/F was safe and there wasn't a lot of boost. Still run a 8.28 at 160+ mph. The new converter seemed to have too high stall, but it didn't slip.Had a training session to convert the car to strip trim and back, and that worked out decently too. Drove the car back and no problems.

Comes saturday, and we were about to test at Cordova. In the second run, the car run 8.08, the best so far with the new set up (and weight). For the third run we put some boost in to it, but it run only 8.3 and every part of the travel was worse.

So, started to check things, #3 exhaust valve had lost the lash, and removing the rockers, the stem came up and up and... Next removed the header, and saw the valve head stuck in the exhaust port. We had a set of spare heads that we had bought but never seen until arriving..., so we found out that they would need a wider intake and 1/4" longer pushrods.

Couldn't get 11.5" pushrods on saturday, but luckily we found a local machinist, Layne Automotive, that said he could fit the exhaust valve from the other set to the other. The plan was to change them all, but run out of time since the other exhaust valves were slightly smaller, had .080" shorter stems and 50 degree angles... Got the head back fixed on sunday evening, but had to tech the car without it.

When the head arrived we put the upstairs back together, in a turbocharged EFI there is a little more involved than with a more traditional set up, but the engine run at about 10 pm.

On monday when the race started, we got in to line up pretty early. Still had to wait a couple of hours until we got to make a run. The set up was mild and safe, the launch was good and the car run 8.08/160 mph.

Back at the pits, checking the EFI's data we realized we had neglected something the previous night. The throttle cable hadn't been tightened and at the launch it was 75% open until 5.5 seconds, when it started to slip and was zero at the traps.

We were happy with the ET, and put the car back to street mode; air filters on, exhaust pipes & mufflers on, tire change, wheelie parts removed, changing to pump gas, packing the trailer and put it on the hitch, and on the road we go!

Got about 1/8 mile from the gate and the engine went silent. Some wiring problem, and soon we were running again. Getting a good data connection as a foreigner didn't seem to be easy, so we didn't have a navigator or other gadgets.

We made a "cunning plan", stop at the next gas station and follow some other racer. Except that the others followed us and waited until we decided to leave and followed us! The paper instructions were pretty good, except that we had no odometer..., but still found our way.

After some 70 miles, the bigger of the cooling fans quit working, so the engine temp started to go up. We stopped to let it cool down and then continued, could drive maybe some thirty miles until had to stop again. Then we removed the hood and put it on the top, that let us run for a longer while with the engine temp at around 220.

Got the first check point after which some oil steam started to come to the passanger side of the windshield. Added some water, but couldn't figure out where it came from, later realized that we had a temporary rad cap installed and it was propably Metusalems brothers old one. The mileage with the trailer was somewhere around 6-9 mmpg. Got to the hotel at around 8.30 pm, some small talking and a few beers and to get some sleep.

In the morning, to the track. Had things to do, the broken fan had to be replaced, luckily the spare one could be fitted although it was far from the direct drive Volvo fan it replaced. Also some problems with the overflow system that got fixed too. And that's when the troubles begun.

Janne, the driver, took the trailer out of hitch, and something broke in his leg. So, had to do the transfer to strip trim pretty much on my own. To our surprise, after the first day we were third in our class and were impounded at Gatesway, so after another problem had to do all by myself. Made one run, a bad burnout and the turbos not spooling in the line, 8.07/170.

When Janne came from the hospital we headed towards Cordova me driving, 'cause Janne was blind. After about 30 miles,the engine suddenly started to knock heavily. Stopped the engine and pulled to the side. Check; a valve is broken; towed to the next junction to the a gas station. This time the damage can't be repaired with a band aid.

Fortunately we are still about 40 miles from Tepen's, and can borrow their trailer and get the car to their property. Yes, it's way worse, have already called the personel we are out. After at Tepen's, we remove the other head and see we were right; no can do. Get some sleep.

Next day we decide to do what we can to get the car drive able again. After two days of the work and help from Performance Automotive, which we co incidentally found, we had it pretty much together again. The only thing still missing is the pushrods, but with Performance Automotives effort we can get a set of cut to length .080" wall pushrods to Laynes', at Cordova and Anthony will shorten them to desired length.

So, we start moving towards it. In the morning we get the pushrods, they are weaker than we have used but should work. The worse thing is that the press in ball is 3/8 instead of the 5/16 it should be. We decide that it may work putting the 3/8" towards lifter where the angle change is less. Install them and it runs again.

In the evening we get a chance to make an exhibition run, and decide to try a little more boost. Since the converter stall is too high we had decided to try a "trick", using thicker fluid, John Deere Hy Gard, in the trans to lower it some. After 0.3 seconds, no more pull.

Push the car back and tow it to the pits. Find a place to remove the trans; propaply the input shaft. Remove the trans, still hot, and the input ahft is ok. Tear the trans apart; the front band of the JW PG has lost all the surface.

Have a spare one, so after checking everything else is ok, put the trans together. Layne comes to help and decides we need another drum and rusher to his shop to get one. Get the trans together and installed, 3 min before the line up closes we lower the car down, still adding more John Deere to the trans, and start pushing it to the line up..., 30 second before it closes we are in.

Once we get to make the run it's very emotional. However, the run is not too spectacular. a 9.0. No boost except what the weak wastegates (4 x 60mm) produce, somewhere around 7 psi at max. Anyway, we did get to make still one pass!

At the pits, we test the boost controller again, seems to work just fine. So, in the night there is some nostalgia Pro Stock exhibition passes, after which we still can give it a try. A little more boost of course... With the same result as in the first try. The end of our drag week.

Still had some action on the following days, run a 9.3 at 169 at the radkill zip tie drags with the high gear only and a moderate leave not to heat the trans. Left Tepens' on Sunday with a tear in the eye, a big thanks for them and all the kind community around!!! Headed to the coast.

Afterwards, now I think I'm aware of the circumstances and the needs. I would change the old titanium valves to stainless, the engine shouldn't run above 7000 a lot, Get the converter tightened. The driving on the road was decent, rpm between 2400-2700, think can live with that. Cooling is an issue, an oil cooler should be added and pay attention where the air flows. Maybe an air/water intercooler to get verything out of the radiator, now the air to air is in front of it. Then some smaller things..., anyway I have an idea what should be done to make it.

Performance vice we did decently, the turbos are small and limit the potential, but we were nowhere near the edge with the boost they can produce. Both turbos were hurt after the first failure, and the turbine diameter was reduced about 1/4"..., got the other one fixed for friday, but no parts for the other. I'll put out a "diary" on our own topic after I get it figured out...

Anyway, sorry we were so busy that couldn't meet everyone around. Very happe with the people we met and discussed with, despite of all the problems it was a fun three weeks overall!

Plynouth VIP '67 TT IC EFI
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2377998
09/27/17 10:47 PM
09/27/17 10:47 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
I admire the fact that you guys took on the challenge of coming over here to run Drag Week...... And did it with a combo that was far from what anyone would expect to be a "walk in the park" type of car.

Like you say, you've got a better idea on how to be better prepared next time.

Hopefully you're able to try it again.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2378010
09/27/17 11:19 PM
09/27/17 11:19 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Jyrki,
You guys are awesome!
Are you planning on running DW 2018 for sure?
Bill

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2378019
09/27/17 11:29 PM
09/27/17 11:29 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
I'm kinda bummed about the audio issues they have on the day 3 live feed replay.

After about the 1 hour mark, the sound and picture skips and jumps around, then when it gets back to looking normal, the audio is several minutes off from the video.
And it appears to stay that way through the rest of the coverage.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2378042
09/27/17 11:59 PM
09/27/17 11:59 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Online content
master
Bad340fish  Online Content
master

Tulsa OK
They have had that happen in the past to other replays. I watched it live and it was fine, must have gone to crap when they uploaded it for keeps.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: Bad340fish] #2378105
09/28/17 01:59 AM
09/28/17 01:59 AM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
I had some issues with the live feed as well, I started watching about an hour after the feed went live and it was so bad I just stopped watching. twocents

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: Skeptic] #2378174
09/28/17 10:47 AM
09/28/17 10:47 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted By Skeptic
I had some issues with the live feed as well, I started watching about an hour after the feed went live and it was so bad I just stopped watching. twocents

I watched the live feed using the you tube site and it seemed fine. The Motor Trend/Hot Rod link was funky, so I went directly to youtube.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2378202
09/28/17 11:55 AM
09/28/17 11:55 AM
AB
E
Efidart Offline
enthusiast
Efidart  Offline
enthusiast
E

AB
jyrki, it was great to meet you guys and thank you for the shirt! I will wear it proudly!

TT Predator headed 572 7 Second Street Car.
Fastest Mopar Drag Week 2015
Fastest Mopar & Dodge Drag Week 2017
Pro Street Power Adder Champion Drag Week 2017
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: jyrki] #2378643
09/29/17 02:55 AM
09/29/17 02:55 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By jyrki
We had fun at Drag Week, even though we had to leave out of the competition after two days. Weren't prepared well enough.

Anyway, sorry we were so busy that couldn't meet everyone around. Very happy with the people we met and discussed with, despite of all the problems it was a fun three weeks overall!

My big regret of Drag Week 2017 is that I never got the opportunity to introduce myself, and do some bench racing. I came by and checked the car out on Sunday, but with the head off and everyone scrambling, I didn't want to interrupt. Monday was nuts for us, trying to get 6 cars down the track, and most of our crew didn't arrive at the hotel in St. Louis until 6:30 AM Tuesday.

When you first posted on social media a year ago that you planned to do Drag Week, and then showed the condition of the car, I immediately thought, "No way they can make it!" Congratulations on a supreme effort, and the commitment to see it through against incredible odds, hopefully we get to spend time at a race track together some time in the future. The VIP is amazing in person, I should add, awesome build and car.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: Bad340fish] #2378663
09/29/17 04:46 AM
09/29/17 04:46 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By Bad340fish
They have had that happen in the past to other replays. I watched it live and it was fine, must have gone to crap when they uploaded it for keeps.

The live feed has really changed the way we take in Drag Week as participants. In the early years, you would get frustrated when you were in the pits or the lanes when one of the fast cars, or your friends, ran and you didn't get to see it. Now, even though you have one ear listening to the announcers, you can enjoy the rest of the event without worrying about so much of the ontrack action because you know you can watch the replays when you get home to fill in all the things you may have missed.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #2378686
09/29/17 09:20 AM
09/29/17 09:20 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Online content
master
Bad340fish  Online Content
master

Tulsa OK
I have been guilty of watching it on my phone while stuck in the lanes.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Page 8 of 27 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 26 27