Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
mine starts and idles perfect even -20 if I let it idle a minute or two I don't even have to feather it, but who wants to drive when its that cold any how, rub out start car com back in 5 minutes and I am good to go. I have a t-quad with no choke. If the base timing is tuned to perfection and your mixture screws are set right when warm you can give them an extra 1/4 turn open and it will richen it up enough to run god cold. If your timing is compromised at all it will make it harder to get it to run good cold. Also need to make sure your air bleeds are set right, a good quality mix burns better when cold. Also you need to make sure it is not a holley because they ocasionally back fire when the tune is slightly off and blow power valves.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: HotRodDave] #232417
02/23/09 10:42 PM
02/23/09 10:42 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

mine starts and idles perfect even -20 if I let it idle a minute or two I don't even have to feather it, but who wants to drive when its that cold any how, rub out start car com back in 5 minutes and I am good to go. I have a t-quad with no choke. If the base timing is tuned to perfection and your mixture screws are set right when warm you can give them an extra 1/4 turn open and it will richen it up enough to run god cold. If your timing is compromised at all it will make it harder to get it to run good cold. Also need to make sure your air bleeds are set right, a good quality mix burns better when cold. Also you need to make sure it is not a holley because they ocasionally back fire when the tune is slightly off and blow power valves.

i wouldnt expect a guy named HOTRODDAVE would run a choke. chokes are not hot roddy

Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: aarcuda] #232418
02/24/09 01:41 AM
02/24/09 01:41 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Quote:

i wouldnt expect a guy named HOTRODDAVE would run a choke. chokes are not hot roddy

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: 72roadrunnergtx] #232419
02/24/09 02:46 AM
02/24/09 02:46 AM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Quote:

...That must be why the carburetor manufactures put those chokes there in the first place?

True to an extent....

But Depending on cam, a choke can be totally unnecessary.

My car will start no matter how cold,(although I won't start it if it's older than -15C ) and idle within 1 minute of starting. Has never had a carb with a choke on it. The mix is bang on. Proven on a dyno, and at the track.

Maybe that's why performance carbs don't come with chokes in the first place?

Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: dave571] #232420
02/24/09 09:11 AM
02/24/09 09:11 AM
Shoreline, Washington
72roadrunnergtx Offline
super stock
72roadrunnergtx  Offline
super stock

Shoreline, Washington
I did preface my choke comments with “street tuned”. Do “race“motors have a use for a choke? Not for the most part. The fact is that with these motors, set up as they were originally or with some mild performance add-ons and in most locations in North America, if tuned/jetted correctly for peak performance at full operating temperature, will be very cold blooded without a functioning choke. Even today, every new “performance” aftermarket carburetor on the market designed for a “street” application, has a choke that works. What’s the down side of a correctly functioning choke system on a correctly tuned street motor? Can you enrich your carb settings to improve cold running without a choke? Sure, but now you’ve de-tuned your warm running performance/efficiently.
For “restoration correct” these cars had functional chokes. When these cars were new they were designed as daily drivers and were expected to be able to start cold and be driven immediately with decent drivability through warm up day in and day out. That is the function of the choke.

1972 Road Runner GTX 440 6bbl 5-speed
[img]http://72rrgtx.com/carpics/bucket/DSC06730r-1.jpg[/img]
Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: dave571] #232421
02/24/09 09:26 AM
02/24/09 09:26 AM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

...That must be why the carburetor manufactures put those chokes there in the first place?

True to an extent....

But Depending on cam, a choke can be totally unnecessary.

My car will start no matter how cold,(although I won't start it if it's older than -15C ) and idle within 1 minute of starting. Has never had a carb with a choke on it. The mix is bang on. Proven on a dyno, and at the track.

Maybe that's why performance carbs don't come with chokes in the first place?

chokes will reduce the cfm of the carb. or better yet, removing it will increase the cfm. I read it in my Holley book. they said that the 600 cfm 2 bbl 2300 series (its was really a 4xxx series but i cant remember the actual number but its in the 2300 section) would rate close to 630 or 650 cfm with the choke plate removed.

thats enough reason for me

Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: ireland383] #232422
02/24/09 09:34 AM
02/24/09 09:34 AM
charlotte,nc
pyp1000 Offline
super stock
pyp1000  Offline
super stock

charlotte,nc
Chokes are for moms. I say that because Mom had to have a manual choke on her 68 Road Runner to keep it from stalling at the traffic light.

I just learned the proper "foot tap" method to keep the car running until the car warms up. I don't think the choke on this car has ever worked properly so it's been wired open for several years.

Dad gets on my case about cold weather driveability but I him that he used to drive a dual-quad 59 plymouth every day with no choke in all types of weather.

Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: aarcuda] #232423
02/24/09 12:44 PM
02/24/09 12:44 PM
Shoreline, Washington
72roadrunnergtx Offline
super stock
72roadrunnergtx  Offline
super stock

Shoreline, Washington
The open choke plate and shaft presents more of aerodynamic obstacle more than a significant restriction to air flow. Any measured reduction in air flow with the choke parts in place is caused more by the disruption of the flow through the ventures at full throttle. Again, this is the primary reason chokes are not used on race motors.
Using the Holley 600CFM 4160 series mentioned as an example. Theoretically, air flow through the primaries is determined by the area of the throttle bores less the cross sectional area of the throttle shafts and plates in the full open position. Let’s call it about 300CFM for the primaries for argument sake. The choke on the other hand operates within the air horn and does have function to partially restrict air through the air horn when in operation however the air horn has considerably more area and can flow at much higher rates then the throttle bores. Let’s say the air horn total flow is about 400 CFM, then the choke stuff would need to cause 100CFM restriction before interfereing with the flow of air through the bores. The cross sectional area of the choke plate and its shaft in the full open position equates to 30-50 CFM restriction within the air horn? I don’t buy it. Most carbs are rated at final configuration including the choke parts if any, you may be able to pick up a few CFMs by removing the choke stuff but “reduce the cfm of the carb” buy 30-50CFMs?

1972 Road Runner GTX 440 6bbl 5-speed
[img]http://72rrgtx.com/carpics/bucket/DSC06730r-1.jpg[/img]
Re: Does anyone wire choke wide open? [Re: 72roadrunnergtx] #232424
02/24/09 01:10 PM
02/24/09 01:10 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I love having a properly functioning choke on my thermoquad. I drive my satellite to work in the spring-fall months. Leaving before 7am some days, I sure as heck don't want to sit there and spend minutes babying the throttle before I leave for work. I don't get up early enough for that, and to a lesser extent, don't want to wake up the whole neighborhood! This way I can pump the gas 3 times, hit the key, it fires, 10 seconds later I kick it down and off I go to work. Even on cold mornings I can take off right away.

If you don't drive your car much, I'm sure you're fine with out it. I drive mine everywhere and use it as my daily driver so to me driveability is my primary concern. Besides, with those tiny primaries in a thermoquad, I'm not crying over the idea of losing any flow through there anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2