06/14/17 08:37 AM
06/14/17 08:37 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Alrighty, brand new 16:1 manual box from Rock Auto.

I have a 74 Rallye Challenger, power steering. If i buy this box, what else will i need to make this happen? Last time i read about this, and asked this elsewhere, i ended up pulling some adapter from something in Pick-a-Part, and it was a nightmare. I like simple and easy.

Part one:

Do i have to buy the Firm Feel $125 (read: $200 Cdn) adapter? If i do... will that be EVERYTHING i need? Bolt in and go?

Would it be simpler and cheaper just to buy a manual column (i know a guy who's likely got one) from a 70-74?

Part two:

If i buy the fast ratio pitman from Firm Feel, do i need the fast ratio idler? Thats another $100 (read $150 Cdn).

I'm not worried about effort, or parking... i'm a big boy.

Re: E-body Power to manual steering (also, 16:1 to 12:1) swap [Re: Pale_Roader] #2321797
06/15/17 09:06 PM
06/15/17 09:06 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Hmmm...???

Re: E-body Power to manual steering (also, 16:1 to 12:1) swap [Re: Pale_Roader] #2321807
06/15/17 09:33 PM
06/15/17 09:33 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
1) do you have to buy the adapter? Depends on what you consider a job properly done. Some will tell you to break the collapsible joint pins and alter the length of the column to make it fit. One wonders why the factory did not do that.

2)do you need the fast ratio idler, no. In one of the DC chassis books there is a quote that says they looked at using a longer idler to match the pitman arm and the "benefit" was slight and deemed not necessary.

You could of just kept your stock 24:1 ratio box and used a steering quickener.

and got 12:1 without idler, pitman arm changes or interference with headers or oil pan.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: E-body Power to manual steering (also, 16:1 to 12:1) swap [Re: Supercuda] #2321998
06/16/17 05:22 AM
06/16/17 05:22 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted By Supercuda
1) do you have to buy the adapter? Depends on what you consider a job properly done. Some will tell you to break the collapsible joint pins and alter the length of the column to make it fit. One wonders why the factory did not do that.

I want it to WORK... properly, and be safe. Thats it. Doesn't have to look stock, and it can be hokey... as long as it works, and is safe.

How hard is it to do the break the pins bit?

Quote:
2)do you need the fast ratio idler, no. In one of the DC chassis books there is a quote that says they looked at using a longer idler to match the pitman arm and the "benefit" was slight and deemed not necessary.

Hmmm... Well, that would save me some money. Budget is getting strained...

Quote:
You could of just kept your stock 24:1 ratio box and used a steering quickener.

and got 12:1 without idler, pitman arm changes or interference with headers or oil pan.

Well, i'd still have to buy a manual box. The car has PS right now, and i sold all my manual boxes. I'd have to find a decent one too... not as easy as it used to be. That was half the draw with the new Rock Auto box. No searching, and its brand new. AND... its aluminum... not like those Flaming River ones (which kinda defeat the point ov going manual).

Do those quickeners actually work? How? Are they easy to install? Seems too easy...

Re: E-body Power to manual steering (also, 16:1 to 12:1) swap [Re: Pale_Roader] #2322040
06/16/17 10:23 AM
06/16/17 10:23 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Originally Posted By Pale_Roader

How hard is it to do the break the pins bit?

Dunno, never did that. It's a hack, imo.

Quote:

Well, i'd still have to buy a manual box.

Ah, makes more sense then.

Quote:

Do those quickeners actually work? How? Are they easy to install? Seems too easy...

Do they work?, yes. How? gearing. Easy to install? Depends on your skill level and how willing you are to cut things up. It is not a bolt in by any stretch of the imagination.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: E-body Power to manual steering (also, 16:1 to 12:1) swap [Re: Pale_Roader] #2322490
06/17/17 02:33 AM
06/17/17 02:33 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I run power steering but opted for the set of Fast Ratio idler and Pitman arms. Using just the longer Pitman results in the drivers wheel turning farther and faster than the right wheel. Not a big deal at slight angles on the freeway or gentle curves, but enough to notice on an autocross or when turning sharp for U turns.
A buddy of mine converted from P/S to manual and retained his P/S column, breaking away the molded plastic tabs. I don't know but I'd suspect that you'd get some vibrations afterward with the inner and outer sleeves now loose to move.
Personally, I'd choose the manual column to maintain a factory engineered, quality installation. I'd also use both the F/R Idler and Pitman.
You'll forget about the money spent while enjoying the car!

Re: E-body Power to manual steering (also, 16:1 to 12:1) swap [Re: Kern Dog] #2322568
06/17/17 11:35 AM
06/17/17 11:35 AM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Getting the used column is the best. The "pins" are easily broken they were broken on my car when I took the column out, I just replaced them with nylon screws from the local hardware store- I don't want a steel shaft going through my chest is case of a accident. If you have some fabrication skills cutting and extending the shaft could be done safely and cleanly, for less that an adapter costs. Since your budget is tight some classes in Adult Ed could be well worth the time and expense