Missouri
G
galen Offline OP
super stock
galen  Offline OP
super stock
G

Missouri
Ready to replace all of my body rubber and gaskets. I noticed Herbs offers a complete kit. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by galen; 04/29/17 01:05 PM.
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: galen] #2296125
04/29/17 03:06 PM
04/29/17 03:06 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I'd start with Metro/Metro SUPER SOFT gaskets, anything that don't fit or seal properly I'd try Steele products as a substitute for those problem gaskets, no guarantee they will work either, door gaskets/weatherstrips are the biggest hurdle because of profile and/or material durometer being incorrect, most find good originals or NOS are the only course of action with door seal and or roof rail seals, the Metro A pillar wing/vent window gasket is an extremely well fitting piece as are most of the Metro gaskets except the aforementioned problem areas

Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2296318
04/30/17 12:10 AM
04/30/17 12:10 AM
Georgia
69bfan Offline
enthusiast
69bfan  Offline
enthusiast

Georgia
We have been selling weatherstripping for over 25 years and all during those years, everybody has asked about a kit. Vendor to vendor is going to differ in what brands they carry and what all is included in the kit. When you start to say all of the rubber weatherstripping, it can become quite a lengthy list of parts. As mentioned earlier, I would strongly suggest trying to reuse or find good used door and roofrail seals. The reproductions are still not as good as the originals. Also, just because your buying say a Metro piece, it may be actually some other product they rebag. Little items like the door end cap seals, u-jamb seals and door end plug all factor into the picture. Then there are at least three different varieties of window felts all which can vary greatly. Quarter glass seals are probably the most consistent piece in the puzzle. Trunk weatherstrip is basically two different styles of the same piece. But profiles and the firmness of the piece can cause you issues closing the trunk or getting it to fit correctly. And then there are all of the inner fender seals and hood to radiator and hood to cowl seals. So a kit could be basically anything from say 3 pieces to 13 or more for a 68 Plymouth B-Body. A very simplistic kit from us may reflect at least 3 to 5 different manufactures. I would shy away from a one stop covers all, as there are just too many variables involved.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com
Correct Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock and supply a wide assortment for all of your restoration needs.

www.dalescudashop.com
Correct style exhaust tips and hardware, fresh air seals, go wings, Cuda & Challenger rear window louvers, hood pin kits
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: 69bfan] #2296368
04/30/17 03:02 AM
04/30/17 03:02 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By 69bfan
Also, just because your buying say a Metro piece, it may be actually some other product they rebag.

One of the reasons I bypass "vendors" most of the time, and go directly to the manufacturer, all too often something is re-bagged, either to hide/alter it's identity, or some return from a customer that they haven't checked to see if it's been modified/altered/missing components, or a substitution because they didn't have what the customer requested and the sale was more important than customer satisfaction or their business reputation

Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2296417
04/30/17 11:06 AM
04/30/17 11:06 AM
mississippi
H
hames Offline
hames  Offline
H

mississippi
I HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL PARTS AND WEATHERSTRIP FROM 69bfan GREAT GUYS TO DEAL WITH LIKE HE SAID IF YOU CAN USE YOUR OLD GASKETS THEY FIT BETTER, CHECK US OUT ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE HAMES RESTORATION

Last edited by hames; 04/30/17 11:14 AM.
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2296437
04/30/17 11:36 AM
04/30/17 11:36 AM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline
top fuel
Dixie  Offline
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Also, just because your buying say a Metro piece, it may be actually some other product they rebag.

One of the reasons I bypass "vendors" most of the time, and go directly to the manufacturer, all too often something is re-bagged, either to hide/alter it's identity, or some return from a customer that they haven't checked to see if it's been modified/altered/missing components, or a substitution because they didn't have what the customer requested and the sale was more important than customer satisfaction or their business reputation

We have found that even manufacturers will rebag other manufacturers products in order to appear to have a complete product line.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: Dixie] #2296593
04/30/17 04:16 PM
04/30/17 04:16 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Dixie
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

We have found that even manufacturers will rebag other manufacturers products in order to appear to have a complete product line.

Usually when these "weatherstrip" threads come up asking who's the best, what fits, what doesn't...etc,etc,etc

I find it best to suggest buying ALL the weather strip products offered by the various mfg's (because you end up doing it eventually) if you can't find good used or NOS stuff, as your going to go thru a lot of repro junk until you find something that fits/seals properly on YOUR vehicle, maybe you get lucky first time out the gate, but it's highly unlikely from my experiences

Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: DAYCLONA] #2297806
05/02/17 04:34 PM
05/02/17 04:34 PM
Missouri
G
galen Offline OP
super stock
galen  Offline OP
super stock
G

Missouri
Thanks guys. You have given me a lot to think about here. I will try and do a complete list and go over everything that I may be able to reuse.

Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: galen] #2298024
05/03/17 12:20 AM
05/03/17 12:20 AM
Georgia
69bfan Offline
enthusiast
69bfan  Offline
enthusiast

Georgia
Door seals can be carefully removed from a car and not tearing them up. The simplest way is cut the white nylon clips. They are easy to replace and very inexpensive. Door end caps and U-jamb seals some time come loose from the inner support. Simply reglue and use some Plastic Dip or Flex Seal to cover the repair area as they usually break loose from the back side. Quarter glass seals are almost was always worn completely out and will have to be replaced. If your removing the front door glass and are looking to replace the mylar glass channel runs, I would suggest purchasing the original Chrysler pieces. The reproductions can be made to work, but will require some extra effort to achieve the same results.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com
Correct Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock and supply a wide assortment for all of your restoration needs.

www.dalescudashop.com
Correct style exhaust tips and hardware, fresh air seals, go wings, Cuda & Challenger rear window louvers, hood pin kits
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: galen] #2301661
05/09/17 11:49 AM
05/09/17 11:49 AM
Hamburg - Germany
S
SuperRob Offline
SuperRob  Offline
S

Hamburg - Germany
www.dixierestorationparts.com offers a nice kit, I was happy with it! Kim is very helpful in choosing the right parts.

Last edited by SuperRob; 05/09/17 11:51 AM.
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: SuperRob] #2302302
05/10/17 11:37 AM
05/10/17 11:37 AM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline
top fuel
Dixie  Offline
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Originally Posted By SuperRob
www.dixierestorationparts.com offers a nice kit, I was happy with it! Kim is very helpful in choosing the right parts.

Thanks Rob! By the way, it's Lea, not Kim. wink

I wholeheartedly agree to use originals when possible. However, if you have to choose reproductions the quality and fit varies a lot among manufacturers. You can't really say all of one manufacturers parts are better than another's as they all have parts that may fit to your liking.

About 20 years ago while at Year One in the New Product Development Department, another employee and I, tested two different manufacturers door seals on a '69 Charger. We each liked a different manufacturers fit and for different reasons. So, personal taste can come into play as well.

Fast forward to today, as a business owner, we carry multiple brands and can make recommendations, but still have customer's that insist on a particular brand.

Randy

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Need weatherstrip kit for 68 Satellite. [Re: Dixie] #2302835
05/11/17 01:30 PM
05/11/17 01:30 PM
Hamburg - Germany
S
SuperRob Offline
SuperRob  Offline
S

Hamburg - Germany
Originally Posted By Dixie
Originally Posted By SuperRob

Thanks Rob! By the way, it's Lea, not Kim. wink

So who did I talk to?? :-)) Sorry! ;-)