03/17/17 09:39 PM
03/17/17 09:39 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
So, if a 52 Pilot house will fit well on a Dakota chassis, then will this fit just as well. I think the back of the cab could be extended with another cab as well. Could make for a DIFFERENT projects.

Thoughts?

RUMBLON

IMG_9002.JPGIMG_9001.JPGIMG_9004.JPG
Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2271401
03/17/17 09:54 PM
03/17/17 09:54 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline

That would be cool to put on my class C motor home chassis. But no money to buy it.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2271453
03/17/17 11:20 PM
03/17/17 11:20 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Old Ray Offline
enthusiast
Old Ray  Offline
enthusiast

British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By RUMBLON
So, if a 52 Pilot house will fit well on a Dakota chassis, then will this fit just as well. I think the back of the cab could be extended with another cab as well. Thoughts? RUMBLON

Cab forwards make for great projects, very cool when done right, but "fitting well" is somewhat of a subjective term, it means that the cab will fit over the frame, the mounting brackets will be nowhere close along with about 1000 other items. In this case the cab forward is designed for a bigger truck with large wheels to fit the fender opening. At least a one ton (Van) would be best or big wheels and tires but to fit a conventional frame the cab forward has the front wheels much more forward on the frame so frame shorting at the front would be required. Engine location changing, etc. Big project,......but cool. Look at cab forward pictures on google images. cool

Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2271474
03/17/17 11:49 PM
03/17/17 11:49 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Old Ray is right on. Everything on a Dakota is set up for the cab to sit behind the motor, and everything on the COE is set up to sit on top of the motor. Things like the steering from the Dakota would have to turn straight up, and stuff like shift linkage and brake stuff would actually have to go forward rather then back like a Dakota is set up.

A COE fits much better on a class C (bus style) motor home chassis because those primarily have forward driver controls and are a full frame design that would work better as a hauler. The 1 ton van chassis could work because they are also set up with forward driver controls, but all Mopar B vans since the early 70s are unibody construction from the driver seat rearward. The rear portion of the van unibody frames are pretty heavy boxed steel, but they still rely on the van floor for structural strength, something that may be difficult to pull off with a COE cab that actually sits up off the frame 12" or more.

The cab on the COE is the same cab as was used on pickups with the exception of longer doors, you can see the cab filler made to cover the distance between the bottom of the cab and the extended height of the frame in the picture of the rear of the cab. If the doors were opened, you should be able to see the steps built under the cab so the cab occupants can climb up into the cab, the extended doors cover the steps. That cab is raised up and moved forward to clear the motor. The cab support mounts are pretty sturdy and quite unusual. The front sheet metal is unique to the COE, and the front fender extensions accommodate the larger tires, and wider tire spacing on the 2 ton or larger COE chassis.

They make cool projects, but make your life easier and put it on a motor home chassis, but not one with the van nose. Gene

Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: poorboy] #2271477
03/17/17 11:55 PM
03/17/17 11:55 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

Originally Posted By poorboy
Old Ray is right on. Everything on a Dakota is set up for the cab to sit behind the motor, and everything on the COE is set up to sit on top of the motor. Things like the steering from the Dakota would have to turn straight up, and stuff like shift linkage and brake stuff would actually have to go forward rather then back like a Dakota is set up.

A COE fits much better on a class C (bus style) motor home chassis because those primarily have forward driver controls and are a full frame design that would work better as a hauler. The 1 ton van chassis could work because they are also set up with forward driver controls, but all Mopar B vans since the early 70s are unibody construction from the driver seat rearward. The rear portion of the van unibody frames are pretty heavy boxed steel, but they still rely on the van floor for structural strength, something that may be difficult to pull off with a COE cab that actually sits up off the frame 12" or more.

The cab on the COE is the same cab as was used on pickups with the exception of longer doors, you can see the cab filler made to cover the distance between the bottom of the cab and the extended height of the frame in the picture of the rear of the cab. If the doors were opened, you should be able to see the steps built under the cab so the cab occupants can climb up into the cab, the extended doors cover the steps. That cab is raised up and moved forward to clear the motor. The cab support mounts are pretty sturdy and quite unusual. The front sheet metal is unique to the COE, and the front fender extensions accommodate the larger tires, and wider tire spacing on the 2 ton or larger COE chassis.

They make cool projects, but make your life easier and put it on a motor home chassis, but not one with the van nose. Gene
The 'bus' style motor home is a class A. biggrin

The van nose motor home is the class C. grin Which is what I have, and am turning into a flat bed. work

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2271520
03/18/17 01:30 AM
03/18/17 01:30 AM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
i think the big problem is the steering---but it already sticks almost straight up on the dakota rack---so there may not really be that big a problem.....

Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2271669
03/18/17 11:38 AM
03/18/17 11:38 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Anything can be made to fit. Question is how much work will it take and is it more than you want to deal with?

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: amxautox] #2272694
03/20/17 12:37 AM
03/20/17 12:37 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted By amxautox

The 'bus' style motor home is a class A. biggrin

The van nose motor home is the class C. grin Which is what I have, and am turning into a flat bed. work

OOPS! I've only been getting those two mixed up for 20 years!

You can use that Van chassis as a flatbed if you want, just be sure you have a floor above the "frame" or reinforce the bed to add frame support between the front boxed steel subframe and the rear axle rear spring mount (and include the pivot point if the bed will tilt).
Most van motor homes add a tube frame behind the van rear spring mounting box. That location is always very weak the last several feet of the van motor home frame is welded on the back side of a hollow non reinforced box. whatever flooring above that joint is all the vertical support the rear of the frame has. The section of the frame between the cab, and the rear axle isn't very strong if you remove the floor. I suggest you lay under your motor home and look at how the frame is constructed. Gene

Last edited by poorboy; 03/20/17 12:52 AM.
Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2273424
03/21/17 12:56 AM
03/21/17 12:56 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I sold my COE last year. Didn't have time to do anything with it. My plan was to use a diesel powered ambulance similar to the class c motor home chassis .

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: poorboy] #2273970
03/21/17 10:52 PM
03/21/17 10:52 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
1st off let me say, That cab over cab is far freakin' out.
I personally would not try to put it atop a regular type chassis.
what ever you do I wish you luck and look forward to the build thread.

I feel I have to address this as well;
all Mopar B vans since the early 70s are unibody construction from the driver seat rearward. The rear portion of the van unibody frames are pretty heavy boxed steel, but they still rely on the van floor for structural strength.

Most van motor homes add a tube frame behind the van rear spring mounting box. That location is always very weak and the last several feet of the van motor home frame is welded on the back side of a hollow non reinforced box.

This is very, very good advice.
Once the box is removed there is nothing left to hold any weight.

I was going to use a van motor home as a flatbed, until I started removing the "camper shell" and saw how the frame was just bolted behind a unibody floor. I sent the whole thing to the scrap yard. Better off finding an old '60s or '70s 5 ton truck.
At least it will have a complete frame under it.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2292417
04/22/17 11:39 PM
04/22/17 11:39 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I agree that a full box MH (Class A) would be the best starting point.
Seems they are proud of them up in ID.
Here's a 70's class C in your price range in Idaho
https://pullman.craigslist.org/rvs/6091052808.html
But if you can wait or spread the search area and find something like this
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/6030638119.html
You would be better off.
Read up on the late 70s stuff (better brakes, suspension) and the wheels (Nick's garage had issues with 16 or 16.5? on his)

Re: So will this fit a Dakota too? 1952 COE questions [Re: RUMBLON] #2293071
04/24/17 02:48 AM
04/24/17 02:48 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
For what its worth, I have an 03 Dodge 1500 sitting here we pulled the 5.7 from. With the position of the cab, crossmember, and front steering center, a late model Dodge Ram might not be a bad starting point. The steering rack goes almost straight up to the cab from the rack mounting point on the front of the crossmember, which should be about right for an older COE.

This truck is the first "late model" Ive been up close and personal with. I can tell you that 1500 is more heavy duty looking then any of the old 1 ton 70s & 80 trucks were. You could easily loose 18" of frame rails in front of the crossmember and suspension mounting points without loosing anything important. It might be worth checking some measurements on 2003 to 2008 trucks, they are pretty easy to find with dead 4.7s and rusty cabs/boxes and can be bought pretty cheap. Gene