04/02/17 08:39 PM
04/02/17 08:39 PM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline OP
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline OP
top fuel

Seaford, Va
I am really leaning toward selling my small block setup complete with transmission and going to the new gen Hemi and transmission. I really would like to go with the big hemi and do some work to it to at least take my 3500 lb boat back into the mid 10s . Computer and transmission needs ? School me on what I need to have a decent late model hemi in my 77 Road Runner. Thanks !!

6.50 @105.26
Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281234
04/02/17 11:36 PM
04/02/17 11:36 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline
Chris Johnson  Offline
C

Canada
Really depends on how much you are willing to spend and how deep you want to go. I've done 2 radically different hemi swaps now, and own 4 hemi powered vehicles so I know a little of the pitfalls and benefits.

For transmissions you could stay with your 904 or 727, and simply buy a SFI flexplate that will allow the hemi to be bolted up to your existing drivetrain. I would assume you have a decent setup already so that would help in reducing some cost. Pending what modern trans you are looking at, the NAG1 seems to hold up to some pretty serious cubes and power adders, but while the 545rfe is a stout trans, I know in the truck world guys that are hitting them with big cube hemi's they don't last too long. Now they are pushing 4500+ lbs trucks, so your rig they might last longer.

For the motor, again depends if you want to keep the fuel injection, or run carb? On my one hemi swap (in a '87 W100) I went with it bolted to the 727, and I converted it over to carb. There are carb swap manifolds available (edelbrock dual quad, Ritter high rise, mopar has a hemi specific intake, etc) but they are all in the neighbourhood of $1k. That was too rich for my blood so I built a sheetmetal carb manifold myself. For engine control, I'm running an MSD Hemi-6 that will control the spark for you. Really nice setup, and you can build your own timing curve via the computer then import it to the MSD box. This setup (carb and MSD) is very simple to use, and it is more conventional hot rodder tuning friendly.

The other option if you want to go fuel injection and modern trans, is to use a complete harness from a donor vehicle, or go somewhere like HotwireAuto, and they can make you a harness for pretty much any combination that you want to run. Again they are a sweet setup, but for me way too much money. With this setup you will also have to be reliant on OBD tuning so will require a tuner like Diablo and have someone tune for you. You could also buy a Megasquirt 3 system and build your own harness and then you can do you own engine tuning, but will have to stay with old trans, as there is no transmission control functions in the Megasquirt that I'm aware of. I seriously considered buying this system, but haven't as of yet. Additionally if you want to go with fuel injection, you will need to upgrade your entire fuel system.

My second swap I am doing is I'm putting a 5.7 hemi and 545rfe trans in a '74 W100. This build I'm keeping all the factory wiring, and it's working out great. I have the swap all done, and the truck running, just need to get the drivetrain and other misc items finished up.

As for making big power I'm not your guy for that. In my '07 Power Wagon, I'm running a KRC 210X grind (I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but I have the cam card somewhere) and on 108LSA is sure sound pretty nice and it does pull hard. Tuning has been a little challenging getting a tuner to do what I need, and with my truck being a 6 spd manual there is not a lot of tuners tuning experience with that trans. Definitely has a good broad torque curve and that's pushing a truck that weights 7500lbs. The hemi's do respond quite nicely with cam and head work as long as you have the supporting tuning!

End of the day there is a TON of information out there on hemi swaps, and all different routes pending how deep your pocket books are what direction you want to go. To hit 10s and have it as a track only vehicle, I would go a with the stock displacement, upgrade to a good forged crank and pistons and hit it with a big shot of nitrous or boost and let it rev. Oh and I would stay 904 or 727 manly just for cost.

Last edited by Chris Johnson; 04/02/17 11:39 PM.
Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281398
04/03/17 09:48 AM
04/03/17 09:48 AM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline OP
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline OP
top fuel

Seaford, Va
Thanks for the info , The intake and MSD ignition sounds like the way to go. I am glad to hear I can keep my transmission with a flex plate change. This really may be something to consider in the near future. Anybody else have a line on performance parts and engine mods needed to make these engines stronger ?

6.50 @105.26
Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281437
04/03/17 11:46 AM
04/03/17 11:46 AM
Michigan
ghinmi Offline
ghinmi  Offline

Michigan
Another option would be to start with a 2009+ 5.7, keep the fuel injection, and add boost. At 3500 lbs, the stock 5.7 with boost should get you mid 10s and be a reliable pump gas daily driver if you choose. I made 535 at the tires with only 7 psi on a stock 5.7 with a super safe tune.

1975 Jeep Cherokee compound turbo 5.7 Hemi/6 speed AutoX/Drag/Street.
9.97 @ 140 slicks, 10.74 in autox trim
Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281738
04/03/17 05:30 PM
04/03/17 05:30 PM
Indy
496 A-body Offline
enthusiast
496 A-body  Offline
enthusiast

Indy
I have a few of these intakes, If interested in a 4150 version PM me

4150.jpg
Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Chris Johnson] #2281829
04/03/17 08:53 PM
04/03/17 08:53 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By Chris Johnson
Really depends on how much you are willing to spend and how deep you want to go. I've done 2 radically different hemi swaps now, and own 4 hemi powered vehicles so I know a little of the pitfalls and benefits.

For transmissions you could stay with your 904 or 727, and simply buy a SFI flexplate that will allow the hemi to be bolted up to your existing drivetrain. I would assume you have a decent setup already so that would help in reducing some cost. Pending what modern trans you are looking at, the NAG1 seems to hold up to some pretty serious cubes and power adders, but while the 545rfe is a stout trans, I know in the truck world guys that are hitting them with big cube hemi's they don't last too long. Now they are pushing 4500+ lbs trucks, so your rig they might last longer.

For the motor, again depends if you want to keep the fuel injection, or run carb? On my one hemi swap (in a '87 W100) I went with it bolted to the 727, and I converted it over to carb. There are carb swap manifolds available (edelbrock dual quad, Ritter high rise, mopar has a hemi specific intake, etc) but they are all in the neighbourhood of $1k. That was too rich for my blood so I built a sheetmetal carb manifold myself. For engine control, I'm running an MSD Hemi-6 that will control the spark for you. Really nice setup, and you can build your own timing curve via the computer then import it to the MSD box. This setup (carb and MSD) is very simple to use, and it is more conventional hot rodder tuning friendly.

The other option if you want to go fuel injection and modern trans, is to use a complete harness from a donor vehicle, or go somewhere like HotwireAuto, and they can make you a harness for pretty much any combination that you want to run. Again they are a sweet setup, but for me way too much money. With this setup you will also have to be reliant on OBD tuning so will require a tuner like Diablo and have someone tune for you. You could also buy a Megasquirt 3 system and build your own harness and then you can do you own engine tuning, but will have to stay with old trans, as there is no transmission control functions in the Megasquirt that I'm aware of. I seriously considered buying this system, but haven't as of yet. Additionally if you want to go with fuel injection, you will need to upgrade your entire fuel system.

My second swap I am doing is I'm putting a 5.7 hemi and 545rfe trans in a '74 W100. This build I'm keeping all the factory wiring, and it's working out great. I have the swap all done, and the truck running, just need to get the drivetrain and other misc items finished up.

As for making big power I'm not your guy for that. In my '07 Power Wagon, I'm running a KRC 210X grind (I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but I have the cam card somewhere) and on 108LSA is sure sound pretty nice and it does pull hard. Tuning has been a little challenging getting a tuner to do what I need, and with my truck being a 6 spd manual there is not a lot of tuners tuning experience with that trans. Definitely has a good broad torque curve and that's pushing a truck that weights 7500lbs. The hemi's do respond quite nicely with cam and head work as long as you have the supporting tuning!

End of the day there is a TON of information out there on hemi swaps, and all different routes pending how deep your pocket books are what direction you want to go. To hit 10s and have it as a track only vehicle, I would go a with the stock displacement, upgrade to a good forged crank and pistons and hit it with a big shot of nitrous or boost and let it rev. Oh and I would stay 904 or 727 manly just for cost.

Would love to see some pictures of you sheet metal intake!

Matt

Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281855
04/03/17 09:49 PM
04/03/17 09:49 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline
Chris Johnson  Offline
C

Canada
Its not pretty by any means, and this was only supposed to be temporary to get the truck running then I would build a new one, but it works good so I never got around to building another one. It's kinda squatty as I wanted low profile for this one, and then I was supposed to build a tunnel ram style.

Bare flanges:

Started runners (all freehand)

All tacked:

Using carb lift plate (intake is strong)

Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281870
04/03/17 10:05 PM
04/03/17 10:05 PM
Florida
cbusters Offline
super stock
cbusters  Offline
super stock

Florida
I have a 2005 5.7 long block that has sensors but no harness, no computer, no fuel injection and it hooks to a SB 727. If I get a 4150 style short intake and run a EFI (like a Fitech)and an ignition control (like an MSD unit), I will have everything my engine needs to run? I won't need a $1000 wiring harness and a modified computer? The EFI and MSD will do it all, or am I having a dream and missed a bunch of info?

Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2281877
04/03/17 10:24 PM
04/03/17 10:24 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline
Chris Johnson  Offline
C

Canada
I have no experience with standalone EFI, but if you have the flexplate and MSD 6-Hemi (p/n 6013), the MSD harness that is applicable for your application (p/n 88863 for '05 running carb), + the fueling of your choice, you are good to go. The build above that I built the intake for, all I had was a complete engine with no harness's, and the only parts I bought were the MSD and the flexplate to make it run.

Last edited by Chris Johnson; 04/03/17 10:54 PM.
Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Chris Johnson] #2282007
04/04/17 02:28 AM
04/04/17 02:28 AM
Florida
cbusters Offline
super stock
cbusters  Offline
super stock

Florida
Originally Posted By Chris Johnson
I have no experience with standalone EFI, but if you have the flexplate and MSD 6-Hemi (p/n 6013), the MSD harness that is applicable for your application (p/n 88863 for '05 running carb), + the fueling of your choice, you are good to go. The build above that I built the intake for, all I had was a complete engine with no harness's, and the only parts I bought were the MSD and the flexplate to make it run.

The harness you used is now obsolete and the replacement has different connectors that I think are for the 6.1 coil packs that were used in 2006. I have the flexplate, exhaust manifolds and pan already and now doing the research on low intakes for hood clearance. Do you know of anyone that has remote mount coils other than Indy?

Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Kindafast] #2282049
04/04/17 08:16 AM
04/04/17 08:16 AM
Trumbauersville PA
ric3xrt Offline
pro stock
ric3xrt  Offline
pro stock

Trumbauersville PA

Truth has no agenda, but those with an agenda make their own truth.
Some of us are so open minded they only see their View

Re: Okay I am sure this has been asked before but ?? [Re: Chris Johnson] #2282122
04/04/17 12:07 PM
04/04/17 12:07 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Nice work!