03/04/10 07:39 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

I submit to you that since we are not living in the 60s anymore and have had some technological advancements in lubrication technology since then, there very well could be better options than Type F.

Keep in mind that the new generation of fluids are formulated for a new generation of transmissions that, for the most part, have lockup (or partial lockup) converters and overdrive which has the planetary gears running most of the time.

OTOH, the performance 727 rarely used a lockup converter nor does it have the planetaries running the majority of the time.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: John_Kunkel] #629459
03/05/10 07:24 AM
03/05/10 07:24 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Quote:

I submit to you that since we are not living in the 60s anymore and have had some technological advancements in lubrication technology since then, there very well could be better options than Type F.

Keep in mind that the new generation of fluids are formulated for a new generation of transmissions that, for the most part, have lockup (or partial lockup) converters and overdrive which has the planetary gears running most of the time.

OTOH, the performance 727 rarely used a lockup converter nor does it have the planetaries running the majority of the time.

Right, to clarify, I'm not referring to the newest of the new DEXRONŽ VI, MERCONŽ LV, SP low viscosity ATFs; don't run those in your 727.

What I am referring to is DEXRONŽ I, II, III compatible synthetic ATF.

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: Pat_Whalen] #629460
03/05/10 07:36 AM
03/05/10 07:36 AM
Indiana
J
jef408 Offline
jef408  Offline
J

Indiana
type f/type f/type f!!!!!!!!

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: jef408] #629461
03/05/10 08:05 AM
03/05/10 08:05 AM
sw michigan
T
TB3CUDA Offline
super stock
TB3CUDA  Offline
super stock
T

sw michigan
if type f is the way to go,what maufacturer?valvaline,castrol??or just any type f,also is for race or street use,or both

Last edited by TB3CUDA; 03/05/10 08:16 AM.
Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: TB3CUDA] #629462
03/05/10 09:51 AM
03/05/10 09:51 AM
PA
Moparzrule Offline
mopar
Moparzrule  Offline
mopar

PA

My
Own
Personal
Adrenaline
Rush
Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: CompSyn] #629463
03/05/10 10:20 AM
03/05/10 10:20 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Quote:

Right, to clarify, I'm not referring to the newest of the new DEXRONŽ VI, MERCONŽ LV, SP low viscosity ATFs; don't run those in your 727.

WRT the Dex VI we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Your competitors who make Dex VI specifically state it is backward compatible to Dex II and Dex III.

As far as I can tell, the differences in the ATF's friction modifiers are going to effect the way the clutch packs and bands grab. We're talking about what is happening for that brief moment while the clutch is slipping. That timing is critical in an automatic. However, as someone pointed out, it s hardly the only factor. Anyone who has modified their 727 ought to use the fluid characteristics their clutch supplier and/or builder recommends. Anyway, its the friction modifiers that result in Dex VI working fine for a plain ole 727 and ATF+ not working so well.

One advantage the Dex III had over II, and all the newer ATFs have over Dex III is the lower, low viscosity. An analogy to motor oil is that its like having a 10w-40 synthetic instead of a 20w-40 conventional oil. It means that even below operating temperature, the ATF acts more closely to the characterists it has when at operating temperature. For some applications, that's almost irrelevent, others its very important. For short drives and autocross, its important. If you're pulling to the line and loading the torque coverter, the fluid will be at operating temp real quick if it wasn't already.

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: TB3CUDA] #629464
03/05/10 10:34 AM
03/05/10 10:34 AM
Indiana
J
jef408 Offline
jef408  Offline
J

Indiana
there is better fluids out there but they are more expensive,theres absolutely nothing wrong with type f.the brand dont matter,its which ever you choose or prefer,ive ran it for years and no problems,especially if you run a stall converter,you would want to change the fluid fairly often anyways.some people claim that it breaks down and ruins the trans!maybe if you only change the fluid every 50,ooo,who does that?

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: jef408] #629465
03/05/10 12:58 PM
03/05/10 12:58 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Another vote for type F. Used it for years with no problems.

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: stumpy] #629466
03/05/10 03:26 PM
03/05/10 03:26 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
heres a ? I read on here that hydrolic fluid is even used and mixed with the tranz fluid

whats the opinion on that?

yea or nay..? can it be done safely?I just use the house brand dex/mec or F when I find it

does it matter on the mixing of the 2?

like said you cant get it all out,I just button mine back up with a manual VB..checked and no TC drain plug

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #629467
03/05/10 05:47 PM
03/05/10 05:47 PM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
Type F. Allways used it never had a problem. Local tranny guy here has been building high performence Mopar auto's for over 35 years. Allways recomended Type F. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll stick with what has allways worked for me. Type F

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: Mattax] #629468
03/06/10 09:28 AM
03/06/10 09:28 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Quote:

WRT the Dex VI we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Your competitors who make Dex VI specifically state it is backward compatible to Dex II and Dex III.

As far as I can tell, the differences in the ATF's friction modifiers are going to effect the way the clutch packs and bands grab. We're talking about what is happening for that brief moment while the clutch is slipping. That timing is critical in an automatic. However, as someone pointed out, it s hardly the only factor. Anyone who has modified their 727 ought to use the fluid characteristics their clutch supplier and/or builder recommends. Anyway, its the friction modifiers that result in Dex VI working fine for a plain ole 727 and ATF+ not working so well.

One advantage the Dex III had over II, and all the newer ATFs have over Dex III is the lower, low viscosity. An analogy to motor oil is that its like having a 10w-40 synthetic instead of a 20w-40 conventional oil. It means that even below operating temperature, the ATF acts more closely to the characterists it has when at operating temperature. For some applications, that's almost irrelevent, others its very important. For short drives and autocross, its important. If you're pulling to the line and loading the torque coverter, the fluid will be at operating temp real quick if it wasn't already.

It's true, they tell us the latest Dex VI variant is backwards compatible with the Dex's before it. Let's hope their right, remember when they told us that API (SM) rated motor oils were backwards compatible with all other previous API rated oils? Many would disagree with that one today.

One thing is sure, there are some differences in viscosity, for example:

Synthetic Type F: 7.1 @ 212F

Synthetic Dex III: 7.6 @ 212F

Synthetic Dex VI: 6.0 @ 212F

Viscosity of the same ATFs cooled down to 104F

Synthetic Type F: 41.3 @ 104F

Synthetic Dex III: 38.9 @ 104F

Synthetic Dex VI: 29.8 @ 104F

Viscosity of the same ATFs cooled down to 32F (freezing)

Synthetic Type F: 205.3 @ 32F

Synthetic Dex III: 172.1 @ 32F

Synthetic Dex VI: 128.3 @ 32F

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: CompSyn] #2273406
03/21/17 12:38 AM
03/21/17 12:38 AM
TX
C
CBODY67 Offline
CBODY67  Offline
C

TX
Not to specifically resurrect this thread, but . . .
Until Chrysler started recommending Dexron (the original) in 1967 or 1968, the prior spec was the "old" Type A, Suffix A atf that everybody used. Ford Type "F" and Dexron appeared in the same model year.

CAR LIFE magazine had an excellent article on the fluids' differences and similarities, all in the quest of "the smoothest shift". The article claimed that in the then-new THM400, GM put more capacity in the clutches so they could make them slip upon initial engagement, which is what Dexron did. Upon initial engagement until clutch "lockup", the rate of slippage was greater, then decreased to "no slip".

Ford went another way. They used less clutch capacity to temporarily over-load the clutch to cause initial slippage until clutch lockup. Their Type "F" fluid had a grabbier initial friction coefficient that made up for the intended slippage in the clutch pack. Therefore, with that initial grabbiness of the fluid characteristics, Type "F" became the defacto "higher performance" fluid at a time when only B&M TrickShift existed as the performance atf alternative. From initial apply to full lockup was of the same time period for both approaches.

In TorqueFlite 727s for 1966, Chrysler went toward the cherished "imperceptible" shift by replacing the "flat" steels (1965 and prior) in the clutch packs with "wavy" steels. That in itself, replacing the wavys with flats, makes for a quicker and firmer shift with normal atf, but unless you know what's what, many might never know it. This was with the old Type A Suffix A fluid.

In the Chrysler "Police Car" book, it mentions that in 1962, the CHP's new maintenance director desired to cut costs, so he bought 20W motor oil and used it in the TorqueFlites as well as in the engines. Only rule was that after an extended pursuit, the unit come in for an oil change of the trans. It was also noted that other brands of transmissions did not take kindly to the 20W motor oil in the automatic transmission.

So, by 1969, Ford was all Type "F" (the incognito "performance" atf), with Dexron in GM and Chrysler automatics. Dexron II addressed atf cooler corrosion issues (trans cooler in the radiator tank), as earlier mentioned Dex II-E was for electronic conrols, and Dex III soon replaced it in the 1980s decade. Dex II-E had a quicker shift than Dex II, by observation, but adding the GM Automatic Trans Conditioner additive (usually for higher mileage units) to Dex II resulted in a similarly faster shift. Dex III came in about the time of more sophisticated lock-up torque converters.

The newer Dex VI is a semi-syn fluid that GM claims is fully backward compatible to all GM transmissions to model year 1949. An Allpar.com article has some great information on the longer service life of the semi-syn OEM atfs. Plus that Chrysler desired backward compatibility, but full-syn had some issues with seals, so semi-syn was used.

In our then-new 1966 Chrysler, upon cold starts, the trans would have a little delay in things getting up to pressure. After the first transmission service, it became necessary to start it in "N", rather than "P", to not have any delays. Allegedly, the factory-fill fluid was a multi-vis fluid, but the replacement was not.

When the LH cars came out, the first atf spec was Dex III + a Chrysler additive. Using just Dex III would result in decreased clutch friction life. The trans controller would monitor for slippage and increase line pressure 100 times/second to combat it. With the friction characteristics of Dex IIi alone, it would hammer the friction material from the facings in the converter and clutch packs. That'w what I read and also confirmed that the fwd UltraDrives were notorious for "running fine" and then wouldn't move after they were parked. The module adjusted line pressure to combat slippage right until it was metal-to-metal in the clutches.

The Chrysler ATF+__ fluids came into being with the UltraDrive and later LH cars. As I recall ATF+3 was backward compatible for earlier automatics.

In later years, many changes to frictional characteristics of atf were made related to converter clutch issues. Some OEMs now modulate "lockup" levels (between 0 and 100%) depending upon operational environments.

GM is not licensing Dex III any more, as Ford is not licensing Type "F" any more, with "Dex/Merc" being the default replacement for Dex III.

Earlier on, it was claimed that if you used Dex in a Ford Type "F" spec transmission, the clutches would cook. Or if you used Type "F" in a GM trans, it would break, but only putting Dex in a Ford Type "F" trans might cause problems. Note that after a particular model year, Ford spec'd Dex for a few years before their "Mercon" fluid family came out. It's suspected that Mercon IV is very similar to Dex III but customized for Ford's desired converter lockup characteristics . . . plus some shops use Mercon IV where Dex III is spec'd

Many trans shops have their own likes and dislikes for trans fluid specs and what they will or will not work in. We've gone from a generic Type A Suffix A fluid spec to very specialized fluid specs over the past 50 years.

Back to the TorqueFlite without lock-up torque converters, historically you can use pretty much any common atf available. Some are a little ligter viscosity than others (faster shifts and better fluid flow), but common Dex III seemed to work just fine. In racing applications, a syn fluid (as Amsoil) works good, too.

The newer fluids have more additives and friction modifiers in them than any prior atf, with some being semi-syn or full syn. As GM claims Dex VI to be backward compatible to 1949, is a semi-syn, that migt be a good choice of "normal" atfs. There are plenty of higher-performance atfs, too. In any event, watch for color and smell changes in whatever atf you use and change it if those things change significantly.

CBODY67

Last edited by CBODY67; 03/21/17 12:55 AM.

66-CL42, 67-CE23, 70-DH43 Each under about 25K built. Numbers decrease with options and colors! How'd I manage that?
Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: CBODY67] #2273804
03/21/17 05:54 PM
03/21/17 05:54 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted By CBODY67
As GM claims Dex VI to be backward compatible to 1949

Is that reality or simply an excuse to avoid having to have numerous different fluids on the parts shelf? Ditto for Mopar ATF+4.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: Pat_Whalen] #2273976
03/21/17 11:03 PM
03/21/17 11:03 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
CBody67, Nice addition to the thread. Thanks!

Re: 727 fluid- What to use? [Re: Pat_Whalen] #2274092
03/22/17 04:13 AM
03/22/17 04:13 AM
Sweden
T
Tobbe Offline
enthusiast
Tobbe  Offline
enthusiast
T

Sweden
in racing applications more run tractor hydraulic fluid , haven't use it myself.

Page 2 of 2 1 2