03/14/17 06:46 PM
03/14/17 06:46 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
So I have a new six pack setup on the car. It's new from Holley, so the later carbs, not original ones.

I have the idle set reasonably well, still need to play with it but it does idle fine. Front carb is set, need to swap it with the rear one and set that one.

Took it for a quick run, and it felt good. When I went for about 1/2 or more throttle, there was a big hesitation, and then the secondaries kicked in.

I did replace the main jets with 66's, came with 62's. It idles with 10-11 inches of vacuum, and I have a 4.5 power valve in it.

Is the hesitation just the springs in the secondary diaphragms? I was told by Mike Goyette to put the white springs in, the lightest ones, but I don't have them yet.

Just want to get an understanding of how the system works.

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269519
03/14/17 07:04 PM
03/14/17 07:04 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
I had same thing on my 6 bbl on my old 440. I put lighter springs in and problem seemed worse. I went with heavier spring and cleared up. If I recall what I read, is that the hesitation is perceived to be leaning out, so everyone says go lighter to get the outboards to open sooner. But in reality, its a rich bog, and a slight delay on outboards clears it up. I bought a kit that had something 5 or 6 different springs in it.

I have no data from A/F ratio to verify, only seat of the pants work. This was several years ago too. YMMV

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: RoadRunner] #2269527
03/14/17 07:20 PM
03/14/17 07:20 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By RoadRunner
I had same thing on my 6 bbl on my old 440. I put lighter springs in and problem seemed worse. I went with heavier spring and cleared up. If I recall what I read, is that the hesitation is perceived to be leaning out, so everyone says go lighter to get the outboards to open sooner. But in reality, its a rich bog, and a slight delay on outboards clears it up. I bought a kit that had something 5 or 6 different springs in it.

I have no data from A/F ratio to verify, only seat of the pants work. This was several years ago too. YMMV

It's amazing the varieties of experience out there!

I assume the springs that are in there now are mid range. I'll give one a try, and then the other, and see what I get.

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269538
03/14/17 07:43 PM
03/14/17 07:43 PM
WV
L
Little Detroit Offline
super stock
Little Detroit  Offline
super stock
L

WV
I hope you mean one set at a time.

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: Little Detroit] #2269540
03/14/17 07:51 PM
03/14/17 07:51 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By Little Detroit
I hope you mean one set at a time.

well, I thought that if I put the full light one in the front, and the full heavy one in the rear, then if under full throttle the front of the car lifts, then I'll know the front one is correct, and if the rear of the car lifts, then I'll know the rear one is correct. Right? if the front is running correct, that should give the front cylinders power right away, so that will lift the front end, as that is where the power is coming from, and if the rear one is correct, the rear of the car will lift, as all the power is coming from the rear cylinders.

Should be a simple test, no?

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269559
03/14/17 08:30 PM
03/14/17 08:30 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

I use the lightest spring I can use but I have a small SS fish tank valve to regulate the vac. (more or less its just bleeding some off, but its adjustable) so if im hooking good on the street or track or spinning a bit it takes no more then one or two adjustments to be where I want to be for those conditions to keep the bog away and the transition smooth or violent.

The same valve also works on vac. turbo wastegates.

But with the ss fish tank valve I could adjust to race on wet pavement or a preped track.

Do not mix and match springs, use the same color springs matched if your going that way.

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269607
03/14/17 10:02 PM
03/14/17 10:02 PM
Sacramento,California
JRepucci Offline
master
JRepucci  Offline
master

Sacramento,California
6 pack on a 340, 440, or Hemi?

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: Porter67] #2269628
03/14/17 10:28 PM
03/14/17 10:28 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline
master
70sixpkrt  Offline
master

South San Francisco, Ca
Originally Posted By EV2Bird

Do not mix and match springs, use the same color springs matched if your going that way.

iagree Try the purple springs.

[img]http://www.imgur.com/hxlGUJt.gif[/img]
4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)
Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: JRepucci] #2269689
03/14/17 11:55 PM
03/14/17 11:55 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By JRepucci
6 pack on a 340, 440, or Hemi?

Hemi.

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269696
03/15/17 12:02 AM
03/15/17 12:02 AM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
So I'm new to Holley's. I think I understand the basic principles of the various circuits, but probably not as well as I think.

The power valve starts to open at it's vacuum rating, to richen the mixture when coming off of cruise to a more open throttle. Correct? General rule of thumb is the PV should be rated at 1/2 your idle vacuum. Mine fluctuates between 10-11, but was told to use a 4.5 PV. So vacuum has to get pretty low before it kicks in.

Could this be part of my hesitation as well?

And yes, I would use the same spring on both carbs! up

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269703
03/15/17 12:10 AM
03/15/17 12:10 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Mick,

usually most of the Holley re-issue carbs come with the black or brown springs, replace both springs at the same time, don't stagger their rating, IMHO if your experiencing a "hesitation" during the out board carbs coming on line it's because of the slow opening rate of the heavier springs, if you were experiencing a bog/break down during the transition then I'd say your opening too rapidly and need a heavier spring

Put the WHITE springs in and go up the color scale if you need more delay, and or higher RPM tip in, you need to know what's in your carbs before even operating them, I hope you put new plugs in the motor?, HEMI's run a bit lean on cylinders 5 and 6 running the six pack, your jet change may be for the good? but I'd read the cylinders after a few good runs on fresh plugs

Normally I'd recommend the clear sight plugs on the carbs fuel bowls, but the plugs are really sucking with today's plastics and today's gas, but I would buy a set and install them just to establish exactly were the running/idle fuel level is, generally I like to set the float level on all 3 carbs at the halfway point on the clear plastic float, then re-install the brass screws, don't leave the clear plugs in too long as they will soften/break off, when installing them, just finger tight

What have you done for a choke?

Mike

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: DAYCLONA] #2269723
03/15/17 12:36 AM
03/15/17 12:36 AM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Mick,

usually most of the Holley re-issue carbs come with the black or brown springs, replace both springs at the same time, don't stagger their rating, IMHO if your experiencing a "hesitation" during the out board carbs coming on line it's because of the slow opening rate of the heavier springs, if you were experiencing a bog/break down during the transition then I'd say your opening too rapidly and need a heavier spring

Put the WHITE springs in and go up the color scale if you need more delay, and or higher RPM tip in, you need to know what's in your carbs before even operating them, I hope you put new plugs in the motor?, HEMI's run a bit lean on cylinders 5 and 6 running the six pack, your jet change may be for the good? but I'd read the cylinders after a few good runs on fresh plugs

Normally I'd recommend the clear sight plugs on the carbs fuel bowls, but the plugs are really sucking with today's plastics and today's gas, but I would buy a set and install them just to establish exactly were the running/idle fuel level is, generally I like to set the float level on all 3 carbs at the halfway point on the clear plastic float, then re-install the brass screws, don't leave the clear plugs in too long as they will soften/break off, when installing them, just finger tight

Mike

Mike,

I have 2 sets of springs on order, should be here soon. Just wanted to get it up and running, and see where it's at. Did the idle adjustment as you suggested, front is done, will switch it with the rear next. It needs it, idle speeds up on both sides when blocking the air bleeds on the rear carb.

I'll start with the white as you suggest. And have heard the same about the sight plugs, so I'll do that.

So what do you think of the 4.5 PV? Any chance that is part of my issue?

Haven't done anything with the choke. It's wired open for the moment. I'll either remove it, or install a cable as you suggested. You have a spare one?

Last edited by mickm; 03/15/17 12:38 AM.
Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269726
03/15/17 12:40 AM
03/15/17 12:40 AM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Another issue I noticed is that when it is cold, it doesn't like to stay running, even when I"m giving it enough gas to keep above 1500rpm. I need to pump the pedal to keep it running for the first minute or two.

Is that just because it wants the choke on?

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269734
03/15/17 12:56 AM
03/15/17 12:56 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By mickm
Mick,

Mike

Mike,

I have 2 sets of springs on order, should be here soon. Just wanted to get it up and running, and see where it's at. Did the idle adjustment as you suggested, front is done, will switch it with the rear next. It needs it, idle speeds up on both sides when blocking the air bleeds on the rear carb.

I'll start with the white as you suggest. And have heard the same about the sight plugs, so I'll do that.

Haven't done anything with the choke. It's wired open for the moment. I'll either remove it, or install a cable as you suggested. You have a spare one?

Well the 4.5 PV should be OK, the stock set up would be the 6.5, But I understand the 4.5 based on your vacuum manifold baseline reading

But do get the fuel/air mixture ratios set up on all 3 carbs, fuel level, make sure your fuel pump is up to the task psi wise, double check the mechanical operation is 100%, then start playing/tuning the system out to what your motor needs, and you desire performance wise

I do have a spare cable for the choke set up, but you'll need to fabricate some linkage/bracketry unless you'd like me to do that for you?, just let me know

But I would recommend a functioning choke, up to you if you want a hand choke (that I can provide)or if you want to tinker with an electric set up of some kind

Mike

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: DAYCLONA] #2269745
03/15/17 01:09 AM
03/15/17 01:09 AM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Mick,

Mike

Mike,

Well the 4.5 PV should be OK, the stock set up would be the 6.5, But I understand the 4.5 based on your vacuum manifold baseline reading

But do get the fuel/air mixture ratios set up on all 3 carbs, fuel level, make sure your fuel pump is up to the task psi wise, double check the mechanical operation is 100%, then start playing/tuning the system out to what your motor needs, and you desire performance wise

I do have a spare cable for the choke set up, but you'll need to fabricate some linkage/bracketry unless you'd like me to do that for you?, just let me know

But I would recommend a functioning choke, up to you if you want a hand choke (that I can provide)or if you want to tinker with an electric set up of some kind

Mike

Speaking of PSI, what do Holley's like? I have the carter pump on there now with a pressure regulator set at 5.5-6psi.

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269789
03/15/17 02:20 AM
03/15/17 02:20 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

Speaking of PSI, what do Holley's like? I have the carter pump on there now with a pressure regulator set at 5.5-6psi.

Mick, I usually run the Carter pump as well the 6903 model, it's good for 6-7 PSI and the GPH is 120, you'll find that Holley needle seats don't like/handle high pressure, keep a good filter on it as well, as 3 seats multiplies any issues from particles in the fuel causing the seat(s) to leak (flood) or stick closed resulting in no fuel

Mike

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2269827
03/15/17 06:42 AM
03/15/17 06:42 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
I too live in Calyfornua where it seldom gets down to 40 degrees. Run no choke and when engine starts, has no tendency to stall out. Runs a Comp Cam roller, idle speed set about 800 rpm. If been parked a few days, hit the foot feed a couple of whacks before turning key. Always fires right off and settles right down. Car is factory V code, however running later Holly carbs as OP.

No hesitation when I floor it,,,just hang on and go. Love it. Hemi what?!!!

Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: mickm] #2270109
03/15/17 06:31 PM
03/15/17 06:31 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline
super stock

Chicago
I got you on this one MikeM since I just went through my 440 six pack set up (for the umptienth time) and now I think I've got a good handle on it....thanks to guys here and over at FBBO.

Anway....

1. Your power valve is correct for your vacuum. I'm also running a 4.5 with 12" vacuum (I could go to a 5.5 since there's a teeny-tiny hesitation just off idle during acceleration).

2. Front/Rear springs should be the same.... the front/rear carbs are connected via the mechanical linkage anyway.

3. A "bog" is because the front/rear are opening too fast vs. the accelerator pump squirt in the center carb. Either put in stiffer/slower springs or increase the center carb accelerator pump squirt with a bigger pump cam, larger squirter + bigger pump cam, or change the existing white pump cam between "hole #1" and "hole #2". I can't remember which hole gives a bigger squirt.

4. Many people tell you to increase the center carb's jets & do a bunch of modifications to idle circuits, air bleeds, etc. I STRONGLY suggest that you start with the carbs completely stock & work from there. I un-did a bunch of these modifications I'd done in the past on my six pack and the car is MUCH faster with the carbs almost bone stock. I'm running #61 main jets at the suggestion of "Six Packs to Go" (I think that's their name) out in Albequerque, New Mexico. He's raced six packs for MANY years and knows his stuff. The only REAL way to be sure is to use oxygen sensors or get the car tuned on a dyno where they can measure your fuel mixture.... or track time.

5. Your cold stalling issue is definitely because you're not running the choke.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: Sxrxrnr] #2270622
03/16/17 04:36 PM
03/16/17 04:36 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
I too live in Calyfornua where it seldom gets down to 40 degrees. Run no choke and when engine starts, has no tendency to stall out. Runs a Comp Cam roller, idle speed set about 800 rpm. If been parked a few days, hit the foot feed a couple of whacks before turning key. Always fires right off and settles right down. Car is factory V code, however running later Holly carbs as OP.

No hesitation when I floor it,,,just hang on and go. Love it. Hemi what?!!!

540 Hemi.

IMG_4425.jpg
Re: Newly installed six pack questions [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2270624
03/16/17 04:37 PM
03/16/17 04:37 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
I got you on this one MikeM since I just went through my 440 six pack set up (for the umptienth time) and now I think I've got a good handle on it....thanks to guys here and over at FBBO.

Anway....

1. Your power valve is correct for your vacuum. I'm also running a 4.5 with 12" vacuum (I could go to a 5.5 since there's a teeny-tiny hesitation just off idle during acceleration).

2. Front/Rear springs should be the same.... the front/rear carbs are connected via the mechanical linkage anyway.

3. A "bog" is because the front/rear are opening too fast vs. the accelerator pump squirt in the center carb. Either put in stiffer/slower springs or increase the center carb accelerator pump squirt with a bigger pump cam, larger squirter + bigger pump cam, or change the existing white pump cam between "hole #1" and "hole #2". I can't remember which hole gives a bigger squirt.

4. Many people tell you to increase the center carb's jets & do a bunch of modifications to idle circuits, air bleeds, etc. I STRONGLY suggest that you start with the carbs completely stock & work from there. I un-did a bunch of these modifications I'd done in the past on my six pack and the car is MUCH faster with the carbs almost bone stock. I'm running #61 main jets at the suggestion of "Six Packs to Go" (I think that's their name) out in Albequerque, New Mexico. He's raced six packs for MANY years and knows his stuff. The only REAL way to be sure is to use oxygen sensors or get the car tuned on a dyno where they can measure your fuel mixture.... or track time.

5. Your cold stalling issue is definitely because you're not running the choke.

Good to know. thanks for the response. I'm staying stock and working from there. I hope to modify things as little as possible. I'm not into getting every ounce of performance out of them, just a good running setup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3