02/21/17 12:03 AM
02/21/17 12:03 AM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline OP
Chris Johnson  Offline OP
C

Canada
Thought you guys might like to watch this build. I'm building trucks all the time, but this is one I've wanted to do for a while (actually wanted a LB W250, but this works too). I'm posting this on a few different sites for hopefully more guys/girls to realize this isn't that bad of swap, and maybe more will do it in the future to help drive the aftermarket as well. Plus this might be a good resource for anyone else doing this. This is a compliation of a bunch of posts over a span of time.

Picked up a new build project (hopefully work on it this winter). I don't have any good pictures of it, just what the previous owner sent me when I bought it.
It is a 1974 Dodge Power Wagon step side short box. Currently it doesn't have an engine, but it does still have a NP-435 transmission so I'm a little torn on what to do. My initial thought is that I would get a bell housing for a big block, and put my 413 out of the Dakota in it, and just finish restoring it. But now I'm thinking I will use my spare G-56 and hemi that I have and turn this truck over to a more modern drivetrain. Not sure yet which route I'm going to go, but if I can figure out the passender side drop issue for the transfer case, I think it will go hemi, 6 speed.
Overall the truck is in pretty good shape, and I only really need doors as these are a little rough, but salvagable, and I will use my new cab I have stored.

Post 2:

Finally actually starting on this build. Changed plans a little bit from my initial thought, but for the first iteration of this build it will be built using a 5.7 hemi with the 5-45 RFE automatic. My plan is to try and stuff as many of the modern electronics in this truck as I can, but I have a feeling I will get frustrated with the wiring and revert to old school what I know on some stuff. Axles will eventually be upgraded to D60/70 so I can share my 8 bolt wheels from my other 3/4 tons. I wouldn't swap them out if they were the 5x5.5 bolt pattern with manual hubs, but sadly they aren't.

I didn't take any pics of the body but only thing I really care about is the box, and there is the typical rust. The side panels and tailgate which you can't buy repo parts for are in really good shape and I can save them, so all good with it. I am not going to use the cab it came with as I have a NOS cab in my barn I'm going to use for this build.

Frame all stripped down ready to start the new build up.

Donor vehicle. 2004 Durango. Body is pretty rusty, but the drivetrain is in good shape.

The powerplant

Stripped down and almost ready to pull:

Hopefully next weekend I can get the engine and trans out of the durango and start getting the real build underway.

Post 3:

No real pictures of the updates this weekend, but got the engine and trans out of the Durango. I will say I will NEVER take on a customers job of swapping an engine or trans in that generation of vehicle. Everything is so tightly packaged that they are a nightmare to work on. What should have been a 3hr max job, turned into about 5 getting the engine and trans out. If I was doing it again I would take the transfer case off, as there is not enough room to get the trans and transfer case out together between the crossmembers. I had to shove the trans into the engine bay, then tip the transfer case down a slip the entire thing out on a 30° angle. Super sketchy job, and was worried a few times I was going to drop the entire thing on myself (working just with the vehicle on jackstands, no hoist).

However all out and I have a solution to the passenger side drop problem I have with using my older axles. I have a NP208 (and a 205 but saving that for another project) that will give me the passenger side drop I need and good old Mopar has kept the input spline count the same and the mounting pattern the same. The only thing I have to do is make a flange as the old t-case has appox. a 1" longer stickout and the 545RFE can't accept that long, and get longer studs to account for the adapter. Got the flange drawn up tonight and hopefully can get it out of the machine shop by the end of the week.

Little more done this weekend. Got the motor fixed up for how I want it for now (basically knock the rust off and fix the broken exhaust manifold studs), and reassembled the trans and motor together and got it stabbed in the truck. For this truck i moved the motor ahead a coulpe inches to help in oil filter clearance and exhaust fitment with the manifolds. The hemi swap I did on my 87 W100 i left the trans in the factory location, and it is super tight to the firewall. Plus now there is more room when and if I pull the heads for future upgrades. Also set my good cab on and started fabing getting the modern electronics and steering wheel in the old truck. Plan is go get it up to a running driving truck, then i can start cleaning up the wiring harness to the minimum I need.

[img]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg526/TrueCowboy426/20170219_180003_zpsxqgrpeyk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg526/TrueCowboy426/20170219_180013_zpshgx8nysl.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg526/TrueCowboy426/20170220_152747_zpsj2lthxrr.jpg[/img]

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2257242
02/21/17 04:51 PM
02/21/17 04:51 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
cool build

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2257321
02/21/17 07:16 PM
02/21/17 07:16 PM
,Pa.
68dodge Offline
mopar
68dodge  Offline
mopar

,Pa.
Nice truck. Looks like a great project.

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2263932
03/05/17 08:56 PM
03/05/17 08:56 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline OP
C

Canada
Little more update. Not much picture worthy but have a few.
Got most of the wiring hung on the truck and got the Durango gauge cluster in the old dash. It doesn't look the greatest right now, but once I get the face plate fabbed up and metal finish the dash it should look pretty good. Soon will start to hang the front sheet metal and get this thing back looking like a truck. Only small hurtle to get thru now is to get a fuel system. I'm going to try and mount the tank from an 05 RCSB hemi Ram. The new tanks are a little taller, but I should be able to get it in the stock location and not look terrible. That's the plan anyway.

Few pics

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2264108
03/06/17 01:07 AM
03/06/17 01:07 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
What year frame?

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2279995
03/31/17 11:40 PM
03/31/17 11:40 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline OP
C

Canada
Frame is a 74, but I'm building the body into an 80.

Little update.

Got a few little items buttoned up, so I started to hang the front clip back on the truck and get it all swapped over. I personally don't really care for the 74 style grill, but I has almost all new 80 grill parts which I much prefer (I like the quad headlight look). Was a little bit of work modifying the core support for the different headlight style to make sure they are aligned correctly, but worked out good. Also got the Durango rad mounted. I want to stay with as much Durango OEM parts as I can to make it easier for repairs in the future by me or the next owner. Having build sheets like I have for my Dakota and Fargo is a pain.

Also got the engine refired, so I guess I got all the wiring back together correctly. Just need to get the fuel tank modified to accept the newer fuel pump (can't get the Durango or other tank to fit how I like) get the drivetrain buttoned up and I can take it for a test drive.

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2281244
04/02/17 11:43 PM
04/02/17 11:43 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Since you moved the motor forward 2", did that add any clearance issues for the rad/fan?
What are you using for exhaust? Gene

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2281357
04/03/17 06:45 AM
04/03/17 06:45 AM
Marysville, WA
77ProStreet Offline
mopar
77ProStreet  Offline
mopar

Marysville, WA
Awesome build! I would love to do this conversion on a truck someday. nice job!

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2281501
04/03/17 01:04 PM
04/03/17 01:04 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline OP
C

Canada
If I would have used a stock rad, or at least one that wasn't as tall as the Durango I would have had no issues installing one. However because I used the Durango rad, I had to notch my front cross member so the rad could basically sit flush with the bottom of it, and I moved the rad ~1" closer to the motor so I would have room for the trans cooler lines to run up the front of the rad. Now I am just too close to run the stock clutch fan (not that I wanted to anyway), but if I had used a hemi truck rad, or the stock rad I wouldn't have had a problem running a stock clutch fan and shroud. I run pretty much all electric fans on my builds as they are cheap these days, and I can control the temperature of the motor much better.

Exhaust haven't really got there yet, but I custom build all my exhaust systems. Currently it has the stock manifolds, but I do have shorty headers I could throw on (be a tight fit since they are meant for a LX car) or I might build myself another set of long tube headers. Not sure yet.

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2281913
04/03/17 11:12 PM
04/03/17 11:12 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Thank you.

Re: '74 W100 build [Re: Chris Johnson] #2285951
04/11/17 06:39 PM
04/11/17 06:39 PM
Canada
C
Chris Johnson Offline OP
C

Canada
Truck is getting closer to it's first drive.
Got the spacer made up to mate the passenger side drop transfer case to the hemi transmission, and lengthened/shortened the driveshafts to fit.
Also go the fuel tank modified to use the stock Durango fuel pump. I was hesitant about cutting up a perfectly good tank, but now I can just make new top plates and modify to whatever fuel baskets pumps I ever want to run in the future. Ignore the retaining ring, was a quick mockup pc to prove out the theory that this would work.
Just need to get some sort of exhaust on it (at least down pipes), and I can take it for a drive.