Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2253980 - 02/15/17 09:49 AM Switching from Direct TV to a Airplane story, must read!
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
I have had DTV since 1995.
Going with Time Warner Cable and getting TV, phone and fast internet for 119 bucks a month including all taxes and fees. 2 DVRs for 2 TVs.

DTV has gone up to 148 bucks a month and there service has gone down hill since joining up with ATT.

Getting 100mps internet service, should make up loading pictures quicker. Keeping our old phone number too and getting rid of Cinti Bell and there slow internet.

Not sure what we are going to do with our RV satellite?

My wife likes her DVR and TV, I hardly ever watch TV except for football games on Sunday. I have a DVR that is full of car shows that is getting disconnected today. For the last week or so I wanted to watch some of those shows but never got around to it.

Oh well.

Edited by Challenger 1 (02/17/17 10:01 PM)

#2253984 - 02/15/17 09:59 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Loc: Someplace you aren't
What issues did you have with cincy bell? Mine hold around 19 over wifi on a service rated at 20. We stream constantly with no problems. I don't even have cable or sat. Maybe a router problem?

#2253988 - 02/15/17 10:05 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
Cometstorm Offline
"Beat It"

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri area
Always had cable here. Too many trees for satellite.

Charter is our carrier, and I do believe their service has increased drastically in recent years.

Runs about $150 per month for ultra fast internet, expanded basic cable ( no premium channels) , no land line, two cable boxes (no DVR on them).

Then we also have a TiVo Roamio (four channel) in our great room, with two TiVo mini boxes that also feed into two bedrooms via MOCA setup. They have DVR feeds off the Roamio. I think that runs us another twenty bucks a month or so via TiVo fees.

Tried going "over the air" a few years back.

Couldn't hack it... biggrin

#2253989 - 02/15/17 10:05 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
vdriver Offline
top fuel

Loc: Leucadia, Ca.
I'm switching from Cox cable to Direct TV tomorrow.

Cox costing me $190 a month for TV, internet, and phone that I don't even have.

The phone part irritates me no end. It's part of the "bundle" and costing me $29 a month. When I called to take it off, I would no longer qualify for bundle pricing, and my bill would *increase* by $60 a month. eek realcrazy

So, since AT&T is my cell carrier, I'm getting a 2 year deal locked in at $67 a month for TV only. 2 DVRs, and I can watch TV on my phone or tablet anywhere without using any data.

I have to stay with Cox for internet because Direct's fiber optic isn't available in my area.

Edited by vdriver (02/15/17 11:11 AM)

#2254008 - 02/15/17 10:52 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
67SATisfaction Offline
master

Loc: Albany, NY
Let us know what you think after using them for awhile...

We've had TWC for many years. Can't say I'm excited about them, but I don't know anybody who really LOVES their ISP. Here are our experiences:

- 100mbps sounds great. Ours is 50mbps. But reality is we get that SOMETIMES, not all the time and it's our biggest disappointment in TWC. High demand time slots (after dinner) can be iffy. They are under class-action here in NY for defrauding customers based on internet speeds they sell vs what they actually have delivered. It will depend on how many devices are drawing from the router.

- We switched our landline phone over to TWC a couple months ago. Kept the same number. Connecting takes a couple 3 seconds, so picking up the call leads to a "Hello? Hello? Are you there?" - every single time. Minor annoyance, we'll Iive with it, but still, not helpful.

- Their email platform is ancient and cumbersome. It doesn't sounds like you're migrating your email to them.

Cheers.
- Art
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 2.5L SOHC hemi V6, 5-spd transaxle
1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS, 3.0L SOHC 24v hemi V6, 4spd auto ZF
2007 Aston Martin DB9, 6.0L DOHC V12, 6spd full manual transaxle

#2254011 - 02/15/17 10:55 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: vdriver]
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title

Loc: St. Charles, MO
We've switched many times and tried different companies and methods.

I've finally come to the conclusion that they all suck. They start you off with a low cost and as time passes the cost creeps up and up and up.

When you call to quit, they may lower you back down again temporarily. Or you go with another company and start the dance all over again.

It's a pain. But they make their money off the people who don't pay attention to their bill rising or are too busy/lazy to make a change. The low up front cost is just they way they set the hook in your mouth.

#2254013 - 02/15/17 10:59 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: SomeCarGuy]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy
What issues did you have with cincy bell? Mine hold around 19 over wifi on a service rated at 20. We stream constantly with no problems. I don't even have cable or sat. Maybe a router problem?

Honestly no real issues with Cinti bell anymore. My wifi router may be slow and not CB.

Did not want or need the land line but like said, it is cheaper with the land line than without. We rarely use the land line and the ringers have been turned off for years now. Only kept it for internet.

The deal we are getting is only good for a year and then I am sure it will go up. They will not tell you what it will be other than "we give plenty of prior notice".

Tired of the slow responding DVRs we got from DTV and they were very rude to my wife when calling them more than one time.

And also tired of the interruption of service during the rain storms that seem to get worse as time went on.

Like my wife and I talked about, change is good. Maybe in a year or 2 we will go back to DTV. We shall see how it goes.

Had cable before DTV so a change every 22 years ain't bad, right?....lol

Edited by Challenger 1 (02/15/17 05:32 PM)

#2254019 - 02/15/17 11:18 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
Dcuda69 Offline
master

Loc: WI
I've had TWC for almost 30yrs. The internet is plenty fast and stable. The landline is useless and their bundle is a crime...so much for only buying what I want/need.I really don't have an issue at all with the TV service, my issue is with TV content. Not the provider's fault but it gets really hard to pay $$$ for TV that's piled full of commercials and reruns...ughhh. I have access to Netflix and Hulu but their content is less than stellar as well plus that would require me to setup an antenna for local stuff.

#2254020 - 02/15/17 11:20 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: 67SATisfaction]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Originally Posted By 67SATisfaction
Let us know what you think after using them for awhile...

We've had TWC for many years. Can't say I'm excited about them, but I don't know anybody who really LOVES their ISP. Here are our experiences:

- 100mbps sounds great. Ours is 50mbps. But reality is we get that SOMETIMES, not all the time and it's our biggest disappointment in TWC. High demand time slots (after dinner) can be iffy. They are under class-action here in NY for defrauding customers based on internet speeds they sell vs what they actually have delivered. It will depend on how many devices are drawing from the router.

- We switched our landline phone over to TWC a couple months ago. Kept the same number. Connecting takes a couple 3 seconds, so picking up the call leads to a "Hello? Hello? Are you there?" - every single time. Minor annoyance, we'll Iive with it, but still, not helpful.

- Their email platform is ancient and cumbersome. It doesn't sounds like you're migrating your email to them.

Cheers.
- Art

I hear ya!

Wondering about my e mail, it is through cinti bell, will I lose that e mail address? I forgot to ask that. eek

#2254027 - 02/15/17 11:42 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
4406forPOWER Offline
pro stock

Loc: Nebraska
I only have Time Warner (Spectrum here) internet. Claim 100mb down. I get a consistent 70mb down. A little disappointing. Use Directv and OTA HD for TV. But I'm considering becoming a cord cutter when my year contract is up. I've read Hulu has a really good live tv streaming service coming out soon.

#2254028 - 02/15/17 11:42 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Dcuda69]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Originally Posted By Dcuda69
I've had TWC for almost 30yrs. The internet is plenty fast and stable. The landline is useless and their bundle is a crime...so much for only buying what I want/need.I really don't have an issue at all with the TV service, my issue is with TV content. Not the provider's fault but it gets really hard to pay $$$ for TV that's piled full of commercials and reruns...ughhh. I have access to Netflix and Hulu but their content is less than stellar as well plus that would require me to setup an antenna for local stuff.

Commercials is why I don't watch much TV. And I have a hard time watching TV with my wife since she uses the DVR and skips over all the commercials and parts of the show she don't want to watch. Plus who in the he!! watches the Bravo channel that has a penis?

Yea I think they all suck too, but like what was said, over the air is even worse.

#2254029 - 02/15/17 11:47 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: 4406forPOWER]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Originally Posted By 4406forPOWER
I only have Time Warner (Spectrum here) internet. Claim 100mb down. I get a consistent 70mb down. A little disappointing. Use Directv and OTA HD for TV. But I'm considering becoming a cord cutter when my year contract is up. I've read Hulu has a really good live tv streaming service coming out soon.

Yup spectrum here too.

#2254035 - 02/15/17 11:54 AM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
2boltmain Offline
master

Loc: MI Allegan county
Cable bundles and satellite bundles all suck. Intro rate is nice then after 1 year you get that bill that is $55 higher.Up to 22 minutes of commercials per 60 min slot. Channels I despise as part of my pkg (MTV TrueTV). I cut the cord in Oct 2015 and couldnt be happier. Im not a sports fan so Im not at the mercy of the ESPN racket. 60mps Spectrum internet Netflix and Hulu. No comercials $86 per month. Plus I watch shows on youtube and tons of free documentaries on The Smithsonian Channel. $60 antenna in my attic gives me ABC Fox and a bunch of retro channels.(This, MeTv, Grit ,Get)

#2254081 - 02/15/17 01:23 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: SomeCarGuy]
markz528 Offline
master

Loc: Milford, OH
Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy

Cincy Bell is a SCUM company!!!! I was priced for life bundled with 4 products and then they sold the security and that dropped me to 3 bundled products and when they sold the wireless division they dropped my priced for life.

They claim that when THEY sold the wireless division I violated the priced for life contract and therefore it was null and void. They upped the prices, started charging me for a 20 year old modem and dropped my internet speed form 10 mbs to around 2 mbs.

I complained to BBB and that was a joke - ciny bell lied that I had broken the contract and BBB went along with it. Went to Ohio attorney general and he told me to sue them - but I have better things to do with my time. They will just never get my business again.

With Spectrum now.

#2254098 - 02/15/17 01:53 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
63CandyMatic Offline
pro stock

Loc: Land of the Brave, Home of the...
We have Spectrum also. In our area, Spectrum is always WAAAAY better than dish or direct.

Pretty much everyone who has access to Spectrum around here has it, and likes them. The only ones who still use satellite are the folks who can't get cable.

A few neighbors have fallen for the Dish and Direct intro deals, only to end up screwed in the end. I love the screaming fast internet too.

#2254133 - 02/15/17 02:59 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
topside Online   content
I Live Here

Loc: So Near, Yet So Far
I'd love to go back to cable - never had a reception issue back then - but the choices here in rural northern Idaho in the woods are Dish or DirecTV. I upgraded my DTV with an AT&T cell bundle last year, and not only did it wind up 50% more expensive after 3 months, the new DTV equipment drops lots of channels if a bird farts in the air anywhere in the County. Naturally it's half the motorsports channels. Internet line is Frontier, which was operating under 1mpbs; I had that upgraded to an advertised 60 but don't see much improvement. Same router. Next step is to replace my 10-year-old Dell, as it's way no doubt underpowered nowadays.

#2254163 - 02/15/17 04:16 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: markz528]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a done deal, I am back on cable, everything including the phone for the first time ever. I watched him disconnect cincy bells phone wires.

Took him from 11-3pm to do it. He had to run cable from my house to the pole at the street, then across the street to another pole. He told me ahead of time that he had to get help, run cable and would take longer. I was fine with that no big hurry to me today.
He had another van show up to mostly watch it looked like. Dude put a ladder up on the pole and climbed way up there, better him than me! Then the county street crew was right in front of my house sealing cracks in the street with tar. So there was a bunch of traffic backed up and the cable guy 25' in the air on a laddder against a telephone pole all at the same time out there.

Nice enough guy and showed me how the remote worked and asked if I had any questions numerous times.
Showed me how to do a internet speed test and my G wireless router is old and slow at about 20.

So new N router one of these days.

The cable guy said 20 used to be there turbo speed(fastest) and is still pretty fast. Pages are loading quicker now on my ipad and phone at home.

He made sure all my devices were working and said look how fast your pages are loading. Seems better than before speed wise.

Now I get to call DTV and Cinti Bell and give them the good news.

#2254184 - 02/15/17 04:38 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts

Does anyone remember the first cable TV boxes?

The ones I remember sat on top of the TV and had about 8-10 mechanical buttons left to right on a cable box about 12" wide that you pressed down to select a cable channel. With your finger and no one heard of a remote back then! I think there was a 3 position selector on the cable box, so you had 24-30 channels then. That was big time over the 5 you had from the air.

#2254199 - 02/15/17 05:13 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Loc: Someplace you aren't
I'd look into my router for sure. We used to have service rated at 6 that was fine for streaming. I only have 20 now because its the same price. Unless you are doing fine sort of heavy heavy content I'm not seeing what the fuss is about forking over 20-30 bucks a month or more for these ultra fast service speeds. It's been on the news before many people are paying for 50-100 speed and not getting it. One carrier said they were still building out the lines. Uh well that's theft...

#2254356 - 02/15/17 09:29 PM Re: Switching fom Direct TV to cable today. [Re: Challenger 1]
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Direct TV/AT&T will NEVER EVER see another dime of my money EVER AGAIN! mad I hate that I still have that ugly dish on my roof, but I won't take the time to take it off and patch the holes, so it till stay until a wind storm takes it off, just like the wind did when I was trying to watch TV on UNDIRECT TV! shout I won't go into all the reasons here as the internet only has so much bandwidth, but I think you get my opinion of DT?AT&T... rant

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,383 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,973 Topics
2,227,770 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Anybody ever use miller spot welders?
by 71sat440
07/20/18 07:50 PM
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.........
by SKR8PN
07/20/18 07:17 PM
First time front suspension issues...
by ksat
07/20/18 07:12 PM
Which rad cap
by dragon
07/20/18 06:29 PM