Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2251004 - 02/10/17 10:43 AM You would think something like this would never happen.
62maxwgn Offline
master

Loc: Central,PA

#2251058 - 02/10/17 12:14 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
killermopar Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spencer NY
Crazy. We have all this advanced technology. It shouldn't happen.

#2251089 - 02/10/17 01:09 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
DaytonaTurbo Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I hope they find the guy alive. Nobody should die at work, much less in a mountain of garbage!

#2251091 - 02/10/17 01:18 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Lets hope he went home to take a shower, and doesn't know that he is missing. luck

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2251100 - 02/10/17 01:33 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
John_Kunkel Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rio Linda, CA
If the compactor had an enclosed cab he might be able to survive for some time, if not.............

Attachments
Compactor.jpg

#2251114 - 02/10/17 01:46 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: killermopar]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By killermopar

This happened in Kersey Pennsylvania, if you've ever been there, you'd know how this could happen

One of my work related travels is in the small town of Kersey (unfortunately) let's just say you'd swear your deep down south amongst inbred hillbillies

#2251143 - 02/10/17 02:26 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DAYCLONA]
62maxwgn Offline
master

Since Wednesday afternoon and still looking !

#2251245 - 02/10/17 05:49 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
62maxwgn Offline
master

3:35 PM,all over ! pity

#2251248 - 02/10/17 05:51 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DAYCLONA]
John_Kunkel Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

One of my work related travels is in the small town of Kersey (unfortunately) let's just say you'd swear your deep down south amongst inbred hillbillies

AKA, Pennsyltucky.

#2251255 - 02/10/17 06:07 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here

Loc: md
And people cry to much regulation.

#2251256 - 02/10/17 06:10 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DAYCLONA]
Jjs72D Offline
mopar

Loc: California

This happened in Kersey Pennsylvania, if you've ever been there, you'd know how this could happen

Not a whole lot of toothbrushes sold there?

#2251263 - 02/10/17 06:21 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: Jjs72D]
A990 Offline
top fuel

Loc: 541 slobovia
Mt Dew IS mouthwash

#2251393 - 02/10/17 10:24 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
killermopar Offline
pro stock

Loc: Spencer NY
So is chewing tobacco.

#2251531 - 02/11/17 09:31 AM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DAYCLONA]
moparx Offline
Dreaming of implants

Loc: north of coder

i live within 25 miles of this event. hope i resemble that remark. or do i ? shruggy too bad this happened. i saw an aerial pic of that when it happened showing an 18 wheeler and a tri-axle roll off truck almost being swallowed up at the same time. i felt if the drop [some estimated it to be 150ft. or more] didn't severely injure, or kill the fellow outright, the presence of methane probably would severely limit his life expectancy. i'm sure there will be a long and intensive investigation, and my garbage bill will reflect that in the future.
beer

#2253990 - 02/15/17 10:07 AM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: killermopar]
67SATisfaction Offline
master

Loc: Albany, NY
Ugh, what a tragedy. I can't imagine the missing man will be found alive if he's under there..

Unfortunately that technology costs something to put in place..

I liked the following perspective from a geologist talking about the Oroville Dam. It applies to this landfill accident too:

"Since we have chosen to live together as a society in numbers totaling millions of people, we have to make many choices about how much we alter and change the landscape that supports us. Our basic needs of water, food and shelter have to be provided on a massive scale, but the infrastructure at such kinds of scale also have the potential to fail at equally high magnitude. Politicians are fond of keeping taxes low and complain endlessly about "burdensome" regulations and guidelines. They cut the budgets of agencies who provide the expertise that can allow us to avoid catastrophes. When they do this, they are setting up conditions for failure on an astronomic scale. So who will we blame in the end?"

..So, it seems the question is about adequate maintenance and regulation at reasonable cost to the taxpayer. It's a tough balance to find. "Adequate" and "reasonable" are both totally subjective ideas. I have a close friend in charge of acquisitions in the energy business and she HATES the cost of Gov't regulations.
- Art

Edited by 67SATisfaction (02/15/17 10:09 AM)
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 2.5L SOHC hemi V6, 5-spd transaxle
1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS, 3.0L SOHC 24v hemi V6, 4spd auto ZF
2007 Aston Martin DB9, 6.0L DOHC V12, 6spd full manual transaxle

#2254054 - 02/15/17 12:31 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 67SATisfaction]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted By 67SATisfaction
Ugh, what a tragedy. I can't imagine the missing man will be found alive if he's under there..

..So, it seems the question is about adequate maintenance and regulation at reasonable cost to the taxpayer. It's a tough balance to find.

Part of the problem in Pennsylvania is that State/local regulations have been eliminated or rolled back, ...for example you don't need a license for the following trades, electrician, residential or commercial, same for plumbing, residential or commercial/Industrial process plumbing, if your a local manufacture of pressure vessels, you don't need no testing, xray, or certification to make or sell, I was told the only time I "might" be required to show/produce a license/certification of trade would be at the college, Penn State if performing work...

#2254253 - 02/15/17 07:01 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DAYCLONA]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Loc: SE PA.

Part of the problem in Pennsylvania is that State/local regulations have been eliminated or rolled back, ...for example you don't need a license for the following trades, electrician, residential or commercial, same for plumbing, residential or commercial/Industrial process plumbing, if your a local manufacture of pressure vessels, you don't need no testing, xray, or certification to make or sell, I was told the only time I "might" be required to show/produce a license/certification of trade would be at the college, Penn State if performing work...

Not really true as at least in my area. Most is enforced by the municipalities not by the state as I know professional plumbers and electricians.... Especially new construction the bureau makes sure they have the qualifications and permits and has a final inspection...

#2254320 - 02/15/17 08:41 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
MidPenMopar Offline
Looking for fun? Keep looking

Loc: South San Francisco, Californi...
Had that almost happen to me in the early 1990s as when i was dumping my daily garage door the whole pile of garbage about 30 feel high let loose and came crashing down. I was able to get out of the way but it was close. The people working there thought it was funny, not to me though! Things have changed since then and that cant happen every again as they move the garbage into the compactor constantly.

Stu

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2254322 - 02/15/17 08:42 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: QuickBpBp]
67SATisfaction Offline
master

Loc: Albany, NY
Originally Posted By QuickBpBp

Part of the problem in Pennsylvania is that State/local regulations have been eliminated or rolled back, ..

Not really true as at least in my area. Most is enforced by the municipalities not by the state as I know professional plumbers and electricians...

So the system is running in circles; the State relaxes regs to lower barriers to business, reduce the cost of services, and promote employment. But municipalities then have to choose whether to incur the expense of establishing their own regs and enforcement for public safety... or not... until the next disaster - then we go around again.

Edited by 67SATisfaction (02/15/17 08:43 PM)
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 2.5L SOHC hemi V6, 5-spd transaxle
1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS, 3.0L SOHC 24v hemi V6, 4spd auto ZF
2007 Aston Martin DB9, 6.0L DOHC V12, 6spd full manual transaxle

#2254332 - 02/15/17 08:56 PM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: 62maxwgn]
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas

Loc: jersey shore
it sounds to me like the local osha dropped the ball..

#2254459 - 02/16/17 05:48 AM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: QuickBpBp]
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here

Not really true as at least in my area. Most is enforced by the municipalities not by the state as I know professional plumbers and electricians.... Especially new construction the bureau makes sure they have the qualifications and permits and has a final inspection...

Your in SE Penn. a little more in line with traditional guidelines of city/suburbia living, but when you move towards Central or Western Penn. it just goes downhill really fast, I work out in St.Marys and Kersey for my employers

We purchased a powered metals munitions operation, which we are converting to an electronics powered metal contact manufacturer, being use to all the planning for starting up a mill, we contacted all the State officials, total surprise when NO permits, NO licenses,NO submissions required for operational intent, NO inspections, NADA!...Plant emissions, waste water guidelines, NOTHING required, NO submissions, NOTHING...basically do as you please, I've worked overseas setting up Steel Mills/Precious Metal foundries, and they have guidelines to follow and implement! but SW Penn...nothing!

#2254480 - 02/16/17 08:18 AM Re: You would think something like this would never happen. [Re: DAYCLONA]
1970440RT Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Your in SE Penn. a little more in line with traditional guidelines of city/suburbia living, but when you move towards Central or Western Penn. it just goes downhill really fast, I work out in St.Marys and Kersey for my employers

We purchased a powered metals munitions operation, which we are converting to an electronics powered metal contact manufacturer, being use to all the planning for starting up a mill, we contacted all the State officials, total surprise when NO permits, NO licenses,NO submissions required for operational intent, NO inspections, NADA!...Plant emissions, waste water guidelines, NOTHING required, NO submissions, NOTHING...basically do as you please, I've worked overseas setting up Steel Mills/Precious Metal foundries, and they have guidelines to follow and implement! but SW Penn...nothing!

Kersey / St Mary's area is actually in Northwest PA, Pittsburgh is in SW PA. I operate a small business servicing commercial construction here in Pittsburgh and let me assure you, regulations abound. In PA, relatively recently many standards and regulations have been passed to the county/municipal level. For example, Labor and Industry inspections used to be at the state level, that has now been relegated to the local level and is much more stringent. in my experience.

Probably just as anywhere else, the more rural the area, the less strict on building regs. The facility would still be governed by any state/local mandated building codes, federal guidelines: ADA, OSHA, etc. However, I find it hard to believe the PA Dept of Environmental Protection would have no interest in your plants' run off or emissions.

People can get away with anything, until they don't!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Advertisement
Forum Stats
25,383 Registered Members
32 Forums
190,973 Topics
2,227,770 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,424 @ 06/20/18 07:18 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Anybody ever use miller spot welders?
by 71sat440
15 minutes 22 seconds ago
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.........
by SKR8PN
48 minutes 30 seconds ago
First time front suspension issues...
by ksat
52 minutes 57 seconds ago
Which rad cap
by dragon
Today at 06:29 PM