02/14/09 01:34 AM
02/14/09 01:34 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline OP
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline OP

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
I wanted to post here since this is where the real info is on the site over putting it in Q&A.

What I have is a short block that was built in 2005 that was damaged by flood. I never broke it down at the time just pop the pan off and drained the water and oiled it top and bottom did turn it over and thought it would be fine. I had more things at the time to worry about.
When the machinest pulled it down he found one small rust pit that he thinks would be ok since it is so low. And one that won't it is in the middle. I have alot of $$ in the block so I want to save it.
So He said 2 sleeves would be best since he has to bore ,press in and then deck that side{bank} anyway.
Only one side{bank) got damaged
Should I get High Nickel content ones?
I am looking at to fix it:
1)Clean block and everything else
2)new bearings for stroker crank and rods both radiused
3)File fit rings think they were 160
4)2 sleeves and installed
5)polised crank
6)reassemble
7)Degree cam
Is there anything else I shoud do?
Any idea what it should this cost?

I also have a set of aluim heads.
He said I should get the seats cleaned up and change springs
Thoughts on this?

Orginaly I built this to replace the motor in my car that is broken. But got messed up before it was done!
Now I have 2 messed up motors.
Thanks for any and all replys kevin
Here is the motor in question.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Re: I need some opinins here [Re: 340SIX] #224133
02/14/09 10:53 AM
02/14/09 10:53 AM
s.w.fl
B
bonefish Offline
master
bonefish  Offline
master
B

s.w.fl
its all about the$$, new block and prep compared to sleeve and prep,or bore for new pistons.id shop around and see if i could get a good deal on a block,but it still all depends on what its gunna cost for the sleeve and prep.

Re: I need some opinins here [Re: bonefish] #224134
02/14/09 10:59 AM
02/14/09 10:59 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
How bad is the one in the middle? I've seen stuff with dings in the middle of a bore from previous failures run just fine. They were way worse than any rust pit.

Re: I need some opinins here [Re: 340SIX] #224135
02/14/09 11:10 AM
02/14/09 11:10 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I dont see anything special done to your currant block
like lifter bushings, so you might be cheaper to find
another block, sleeves are ABOUT $100 each then you
need at least a hone job done. Let your machinist tell
you a couple of options then decide... which ever fits
your budget

Re: I need some opinins here on motor #2 [Re: MR_P_BODY] #224136
02/14/09 12:16 PM
02/14/09 12:16 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline OP
340SIX  Offline OP

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Quote:

I dont see anything special done to your currant block
like lifter bushings, so you might be cheaper to find
another block, sleeves are ABOUT $100 each then you
need at least a hone job done. Let your machinist tell
you a couple of options then decide... which ever fits
your budget

Well block was cleaned,checked and bored 4.100,sqaure decked,line honed, and was charged like 200to releave where the rods pass at bottom of bores.{i would have ground the spots the the rods could have hit my self if it was known before}
One bank is 100% ok it was laying tilted on the floor so only one side got water bad.
don't know what was in the water since the water treatment plant was mixed in the flood water so maybe some major chemicals were in it at the time.
I could get by with one sleeve but he said he would do 2 just to make sure.
since it will be on the machine to bore for the install then it will be on the machine to deck it so the sleeves are even at the top of deck.
Should I get High nickel content sleeves? Or just regular ones?
It started out with them in 2005 saying 30 over would do to clean it up. So i ordered a set of stroker pistons from diamond and speed pro file fits. He later calls after he has the pistons so he can bore and hone to size.
Says oh you have a factory 20 over block,I never measured it as far as total size needed just that 30 over would clean it up. So 30 over plus 20 over gets you
So then I have a set of pistons and rings for 4,070 that I could not use.
And had to order some 4.100 since at the time no block could be found and new R blocks were 3500 bucks.
Whole reason to build it was so I would do a quick engine swap on a weekend then get pipes and muffs to be able to drive it.And then bring the whole other new motor that was in the car to get fixed.
Then the flood hit.
So far all I have done since 2005 was do a few hard hole shots and drive it on and off trailer to shows. Yes I have lots of awards but sitting looking at awards the day after ya won it is not much fun at all.
Does it sound like 1000 would fix what I have in motor #2 the bigest mistake was not getting a brand new block second one was getting a second sixpack set up and porting the intake and heads so it would pull to 7000
Bad part is I have to pay to fix this one that is not installed is I can see if i have $$ enough left to fix the one in the car.
If you race guys don't mind I will post about motor #1 in car to whats the best fix with it I am in it for 5 years build of the car{2000 to 2005} plus 2 motors till 2009
8 miles of driving in 9 years the fun is just gone pecan
Thanks again kevin
I was ready to just toss it all for sale yesterday but wife said no!

Re: I need some opinins here on motor #2 [Re: 340SIX] #224137
02/14/09 12:52 PM
02/14/09 12:52 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
If have a couple comments/thoughts:

1) Did anyone sonic check that block? at 4.100 you may get a surprise. You definately ( if machinist didnt already, and I HOPE he did)will need to know what the cylinder thickness is before anything. What are the sonic check numbers, especially the major thrusts?

2) You seem to be questioning your machinsts decisions. If you trust him, then go with his suggestions, but again, you seem to have some doubt?

3) You made it through the hurricane, so you can do anything. Keep plugging away, dont stop now.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: I need some opinins here on motor #2 [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #224138
02/14/09 08:54 PM
02/14/09 08:54 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline OP
340SIX  Offline OP

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Quote:

If have a couple comments/thoughts:

1) Did anyone sonic check that block? at 4.100 you may get a surprise. You definately ( if machinist didnt already, and I HOPE he did)will need to know what the cylinder thickness is before anything. What are the sonic check numbers, especially the major thrusts?

2) You seem to be questioning your machinsts decisions. If you trust him, then go with his suggestions, but again, you seem to have some doubt?

3) You made it through the hurricane, so you can do anything. Keep plugging away, dont stop now.

He said he had it checked but I dont have the #'s I trust him that is was ok to go.

I was worried that he would hit water since it is 60 over now. But he said it would not matrter since he is putting the sleeve/that the sleeve seals it.
I know nothing about sleevesHe sais you bored it press them in and then deck it same as he did when he square decked it. Then bore and hone to size.
He says just use a regular sleeve when I asked about the high nickel ones.
Like I said plan was to build this and swap it for the one in car and then fix that one when I had time and $$ again. Just did not work out.