01/23/17 11:00 PM
01/23/17 11:00 PM
Keymar, MD
DusterKid Offline OP
top fuel
DusterKid  Offline OP
top fuel

Keymar, MD
Anyone have any experience with PEP connecting rods? Good, Bad, Ugly? Are they on the same level as Scat and Eagle rods?

Re: PEP connecting rods [Re: DusterKid] #2240128
01/23/17 11:31 PM
01/23/17 11:31 PM

C
crabman173
Unregistered
crabman173
Unregistered
C

Folks here will bash them just wait until more see the post--
here is my experience with about two dozen sets I have personally used
Some came with ARP bolts--were they real? Duh who knows
Some came with some hang thai bolts--were they any good?? who knows have any I have ever used in hot street and mild race applications ever failed?? not to my knowledge--no one has called complaining
I was buying them to start with for like $260 a set shipped then it finally wound up near $300 set for same quality different names--
Rods fail because folks used stock rods with ten ton TRW forged pistons then exceeded the RPM limit that combo WOULD live at
98% of rod failures are about 1% of all rods used-- I would say in a wild guess based upon my experience in many engine shops--Rods usually just don't fail but photos of failed rods have a 99% chance of being shown on the interweb so....
Take those catpuke rods out of the box--take one wrist pin to the shop with you so they can make sure pin is not too tight in the rods--torque them with correct lube ( pick one the China guys don't use ARP ) and then check big ends--takes about two minutes--if they are a tad big who cares--if way too small then correct--not very likely they are bad enough to cause an issue
Slap those bad boys in your engine and Rock on !!!
you will catch a lot of Hell so LIE and say you have Lentz rods or Carillos ( they are most expensive I can think of) and when all goes well just laugh and enjoy life--and...if one flys out the oil pan make lots of pictures --post on the web--and you will gain fame and get thousands of hits online and have one heck of a tale to tell--Many guys race for decades and never really blow one up so.......
You show me where I can score some more for under $280 a set--the old price--and I will buy a footlocker full of them

and....the reason that they may not have ARP bolts is simple--eagle and Scat have made deals so they are the only guys that can get the ARP bolts for cheapo China forged rods--neat trick--nothing in China has an ARP bolt and they are building a moon lander as we speak and have hundreds of submarines, etc so....
Are they as good as some others --not likely but will they work in most guys back yard hot rod--sure they will if normal precautions are taken as in any build $15 rods turn 10,000 in go karts etc so...

Last edited by crabman173; 01/23/17 11:36 PM.
Re: PEP connecting rods [Re: DusterKid] #2240218
01/24/17 01:32 AM
01/24/17 01:32 AM
California, United States and ...
D
Dibbons Offline
Dibbons  Offline
D

California, United States and ...
So who can we be sure is fabricating aftermarket or custom rods in the good old USA? I need a custom set and I am not paying a premium for offshore stuff. Thank you.

Re: PEP connecting rods [Re: Dibbons] #2240262
01/24/17 03:24 AM
01/24/17 03:24 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Carillo, Lentz, Molnar, Ohio Crankshaft Co., GRP, Windburg, BME and I'm sure there are many other American made steel and aluminum rods available scope
How fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend work

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: PEP connecting rods [Re: Cab_Burge] #2241102
01/25/17 05:05 PM
01/25/17 05:05 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

How it works: Any rod you can buy for $500 or less is forged in China.
Any American rod will cost at least $1000.

As long as you do prep like the posters above, your stock block will break before the rod does.

R.

PS: The term "horsepower rating" for rods is meaningless. If a rod lives is all about the acceleration at the top of the exhaust stroke, piston weight and/or detonation.

PPS: Molnar rods are for sure Chinese forgings and Ohio Crank pretty certainly is, too. Because of the disparity between US and Chinese wages and overhead for factories, it could be possible to weasel around "Made In USA" by legitimately having more expense per rod in the USA than in China.

Last edited by dogdays; 01/25/17 05:09 PM.