Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline OP
master
fastmark  Offline OP
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I'm considering buying a street rod 38. I posted in the WIW. Hope you guys can give me your opinions.

Re: 38 dodge coupe [Re: fastmark] #2226492
01/03/17 06:49 PM
01/03/17 06:49 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
There is not much to go on here.
We don't know what you are expecting to do with the car, once you buy it, and other then how it looks in a couple of pictures, we have no idea what has, or what has not been done.

With no offense intended towards you, or the builder/seller. In my opinion:

The wheels are ugly, they would have to go.

I like something I can drive, the big, wide, rear wheels, along with what appears to be a pretty small aluminum gas tank, scream Pro Street to me. Pro Street cars are usually not great drivers. The wide tires also mean there is probably no trunk storage area, and probably no room behind the seats. I'd have to wonder how road friendly the rear suspension is, and if the rear tires are even DOT approved. If your into being a poser drag racer, and trailer your car to shows then putting around the fairgrounds with it, I suppose it may be a great car. With the use of a 318, with all the money dumped into the rear frame work,suspension, rear tires, and aluminum, I doubt its much of a race bread as it wants to appear to be. Sure, 318s can be built to run, but if your dumping all that money in, why no start with something bigger then a 318, like maybe a 340 or 360?

We still have no idea how well the car was built, or what condition it started as.

In that price range, there are many nice street drivers of the Mopar vintage.

The bottom line is, you have to know what you expect to do with your new street rod once you have it, then buy a car that was build towards what you expect to do with it.

If drag racing, and/or Pro Street is your thing, and the car has been well built, and you have the coin to buy this car, then add the power you will soon be wanting over what the 318 can provide, this may be a great starting point. If its not everything you have ever dreamed of, this could be the biggest nightmare you have ever bought. Gene

Re: 38 dodge coupe [Re: poorboy] #2226667
01/03/17 10:38 PM
01/03/17 10:38 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Originally Posted By poorboy

I like something I can drive, the big, wide, rear wheels, along with what appears to be a pretty small aluminum gas tank, scream Pro Street to me. Pro Street cars are usually not great drivers.

Mine have all been awesome drivers. Daily drivers.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 38 dodge coupe [Re: fastmark] #2226672
01/03/17 10:43 PM
01/03/17 10:43 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
I agree, have to know what is intended. Paint YOUR preference of color or leave? Wheel swap or? Interior good? Build quality good?
I'm a Pro Street guy. I like the looks of the car. Just tweak what you want to suit what you like IMO?

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 38 dodge coupe [Re: fastmark] #2227015
01/04/17 12:08 PM
01/04/17 12:08 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
it doesn't look like a bad car from what pics you posted, although the wheels and paint are dated. the big question is the build quality, and how has any wear affected it. the engine choice just may be what would work for you. only you can be the judge of that. and has been stated, pro street cars are not for everyone. be aware they may be way different than something you may be comfortable in after the huge tire "effect" is in your garage for a time. have you ever ridden in, or drove a pro-streeter ? saying this, i happen to like the looks and quirks of such an animal, but my opinion of these things is they better run as good as they appear. this type of car was my vision back in 1973-74 when i drug my humpback out of the swamp, and even though it still isn't finished, and my agility is greatly diminished from that time in history, the build is still progressing in the same direction. just my opinion[s]. your mileage may vary.
beer