05/24/06 05:12 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Help!!

I just talked to some lady at Rustoleum. She says they don't even make Gloss Orange in gallons. Furthermore, she was trying to tell me that there is no professional version of the Stops Rust. What the heck!!

Where are you guys buying this stuff? Can I get it online anywhere????

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #23151

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yet another n00b strikes the board.

I've read through all 42 pages, took me about a week. I think I understand a gret deal of the process, but I still have a question.

Anyone use flat black yet?

I plan on using Rustoleum flat black with oderless mineral spirits. I'm looking for that "Rat Rod" sort of flat satin finish.

I plan on final sanding with 1500 grit (finest I could locate) and polishing with the Turtle Wax polishing compound.

Does anyone know if this will get me the look I'm after?
Like many, this will be my first paint attempt.

Going for something like this color:

Except mine's a 1987 CSX

Thanks for any input!
-Wade
www.jr-ms.com

Last edited by Jackrabbit; 05/24/06 05:13 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23152
05/24/06 07:20 PM
05/24/06 07:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Ricklandia, I don't know if is just me, but I can't see any picture in your posts.

Hmmmm... it appears as though my host provider (Bellsouth) has a bandwidth limit on my "personal webspace", and it's already been exceeded! LOL

I've attached the first of 5 to this message so that you can download them today.

i'd like to see them pic too. use http://imageshack.us/

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23153
05/24/06 07:46 PM
05/24/06 07:46 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I've read through all 42 pages, took me about a week. I think I understand a gret deal of the process, but I still have a question.

I plan on using Rustoleum flat black with oderless mineral spirits. I'm looking for that "Rat Rod" sort of flat satin finish.

I plan on final sanding with 1500 grit (finest I could locate) and polishing with the Turtle Wax polishing compound.

Except mine's a 1987 CSX

Thanks for any input!
-Wade
www.jr-ms.com

well with flat black it's been covered before, but again, it would'nt work, the wetsand and polishing process is to bring a shine, not make it flat, flat paints have flattening agents in them that make them flat, your best bet is to rattle can it, only issue with flat paints is keeping them clean, and no water spots, bird do-do, bug guts all stain the paint.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23154
05/24/06 07:53 PM
05/24/06 07:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Conner, I don't get that, why on earth would they make a primer that doesn't work with their own paint? Just doesn't make sense to me. Is this from experience or heresay? I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't see the value in such a product as primer is generally accepted as a base for other paint layers. I looked at a can of it about a week ago and don't remember seeing a warning saying anything like "use only with XXXXXX topcoat". Thanks for the warning though, I'll investigate it before proceeding.

Rustoleum has to consumer variety primers: "Rusty Metal Primer" and "Clean Metal Primer."
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=25&SBL=1
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=26&SBL=1

Both are compatible with their topcoats. However, Rusty Metal Primer should only be used on metal that is rusty. If the metal isn't actively rusting go with the Clean Metal Primer. Using Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal is where you will get problems because the Rusty Metal primer is designed to soak into/bind to rust and will not do so on clean metal.

The condition of the metal, not the topcoat, is the limiting factor here.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23155
05/24/06 09:45 PM
05/24/06 09:45 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I got my paint/mineral spirits mixture worked out and have been laying down nice, smooth coats on my hood. I just finished coat number five. I'm concerned, however, because I can still see through the paint to where I sanded through the original paint to bare metal in several spots when I prepped the panel. I think it was Exit who referred to the "mahogany" look. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to reach a uniform color. Maybe I should have primed first to make a nice uniform base. If it weren't for the sanding spots, I could almost call the hood done. Any thoughts? Thanks.
-Ian

2650781-Mustangs070.jpg (787 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23156
05/24/06 10:35 PM
05/24/06 10:35 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I got my paint/mineral spirits mixture worked out and have been laying down nice, smooth coats on my hood. I just finished coat number five. I'm concerned, however, because I can still see through the paint to where I sanded through the original paint to bare metal in several spots when I prepped the panel. I think it was Exit who referred to the "mahogany" look. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to reach a uniform color. Maybe I should have primed first to make a nice uniform base. If it weren't for the sanding spots, I could almost call the hood done. Any thoughts? Thanks.
-Ian

Yah I know what you mean. I have 7 coats on now and there's still some see through spots. Maybe 2-3 coats of a base color would have been a good idea, but if you think about it that's near the same # of coats as you could do with whatever color you're using. Might save a coat or two in the end, not sure..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23157
05/24/06 11:13 PM
05/24/06 11:13 PM
Co
B
Burt Offline
super street
Burt  Offline
super street
B

Co
Quote:

Go to hotrodders.com here and read about John Deer Blitz Black HotRodders (a few pages shorter than this one

"project ugly Road Runner"
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23158
05/24/06 11:37 PM
05/24/06 11:37 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Quote:

-Ian

Yah I know what you mean. I have 7 coats on now and there's still some see through spots. Maybe 2-3 coats of a base color would have been a good idea, but if you think about it that's near the same # of coats as you could do with whatever color you're using. Might save a coat or two in the end, not sure..

Sounds like certain colors (Yellow, Safety Red) are having the see through problems. If you were to lay down a color for a base coat which would you guys use? From watching some of the car shows I see them do that with Candy Paints. But I've seen different colors used for the basecoats, silver, white, black, etc...Does the different color basecoats give different effects. If so, what changes? What color would you guys use for basecoats?

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #23159
05/25/06 12:07 AM
05/25/06 12:07 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

well with flat black it's been covered before, but again, it would'nt work, the wetsand and polishing process is to bring a shine, not make it flat, flat paints have flattening agents in them that make them flat, your best bet is to rattle can it, only issue with flat paints is keeping them clean, and no water spots, bird do-do, bug guts all stain the paint.

I guess maybe I worded it wrong. What I mean to say is can I use this process with flat black? I understand it won't shine obviously, but will it just plain not work? I just want a smooth flat black finish I guess. Does that make sense?

I guess if it's just a bad idea... what about a semi-gloss black? And maybe fine grit it and not polish it? Better idea?

Thanks again!
-Wade
www.jr-ms.com

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Burt] #23160
05/25/06 12:09 AM
05/25/06 12:09 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Go to hotrodders.com here and read about John Deer Blitz Black HotRodders (a few pages shorter than this one

Oh jeeez... I can't do another 40 pager!
LMAO!
Thanks for the link!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23161
05/25/06 12:27 AM
05/25/06 12:27 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I guess maybe I worded it wrong. What I mean to say is can I use this process with flat black? I understand it won't shine obviously, but will it just plain not work? I just want a smooth flat black finish I guess. Does that make sense?

I guess if it's just a bad idea... what about a semi-gloss black? And maybe fine grit it and not polish it? Better idea?

Thanks again!
-Wade
www.jr-ms.com

way way back (page 4 or 5 maybe?) there is a guy who painted a roadrunner flat black. I dont recall what sanding he did, but Im pretty sure he rollered it.

edit: here is where to find it:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=%202374463&page=0&vc=1

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=%202374469&page=0&vc=1

there is a pic of it there. It doesn't look very good to me in the sun, but the shade shot looks good..

The hotrodders link has to do with flat black. im not sure if those guys are spraying or rolling, and if they're sanding, but they are using a flat black..

Last edited by Exit1965; 05/25/06 12:35 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23162
05/25/06 12:37 AM
05/25/06 12:37 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

way way back (page 4 or 5 maybe?) there is a guy who painted a roadrunner flat black. I dont recall what sanding he did, but Im pretty sure he rollered it.

edit: here is where to find it:
#2374463 - Mon Feb 06 2006 06:41 PM

there is a pic of it there. It doesn't look very good to me in the sun, but the shade shot looks good..

The hotrodders link has to do with flat black. im not sure if those guys are spraying or rolling, and if they're sanding, but they are using a flat black..

Yeah I remember that RR (black widow or spider something) but he wanted an orange peel look IIRC. So I don't think he was sanding it.

I'm 9 pages in on the rodders board and they all appear to be shooting it, and having some striping problems with it drying too fast apparently.

I think I'll play with the Rustoleum flat black on my trunk lid this weekend... since I already bought it! I'll post some results in case anyone else is thinking along the same lines as I.

Thanks for the quick reply BTW!
-Wade
www.jr-ms.com

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23163
05/25/06 12:47 AM
05/25/06 12:47 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ok guys. i need to know if the rustoleum primer is rollable. or any suggestions are welcome.

it looks like i will have to end up selling my duster because we are moving and its not worth spending the $1,100 to ship it from here to florida. and its definately not cross country worthy to drive. So i would like to get it solid color...primer preferably. I don't want to spend the time and sweat outside doing all the coats and trying to polish a bright color up just to sell it. I'd like to do primer...can it be rolled flat like the other color paints?

What do you guys suggest? I really rather not spray bomb it or anything like that.

Hey GOODY, if you can, find a way to keep that car, you'll need a car thats pretty good on gas and has a/c when you get down here in this hot/muggy/humid florida weather. Besides, when you get down here, rustfree cars like yours cost more money. You guys out in the deserts got it good. Hold on to it if you can.

What part of Fla are you moving to. Im in college in Gainesville, but I keep my car at home in Orlando.

As far as the primer goes, I dont know. Theres been more than one discussed. One was said to be designed for rust, and didnt perform well on good metal. Then there was the spraycan rustoleum primer that a lot of guys have been using with good results. And other guys have said that you can get a primer that you can roller from the auto body stores.

bump, anyone else help me out on my primer question?

Last attempt to maybe get a answer on if there is a rollable primer . I just want it uniform color. is there a rollable primer that i can use? and how can i thin it? Thanks

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23164
05/25/06 01:20 AM
05/25/06 01:20 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Last attempt to maybe get a answer on if there is a rollable primer . I just want it uniform color. is there a rollable primer that i can use? and how can i thin it? Thanks

White paint. Two or three coats.

White pigment gives the best, most solid cover and should give you a solid base.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23165
05/25/06 01:25 AM
05/25/06 01:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys...I'm not a Mopar guy (I've got a '56 Chevy...with a 383, hah replete with a nice Mopar 383 Magnum sticker on the air cleaner...I couldn't resist, the sticker was even the right color!) but I saw that ya'll have been looking for a roll-on primer. There are two that I know of (one that I've used). Both will be more money than the paint for sure. Just a fact of life, but they're not expensive.

The first is PPG SX1060. I don't know much about it or how much it costs, but it is a roll-on primer. Knowing PPG it isn't cheap.

The second, and the one I've used is Transtar 6464. Here's a link... I think you can order it online too! http://www.tat-co.com/version2/products_productview.asp?product=6464

It's light grey in color and locally (here in Montana) I pay about $20 for a quart of it (including the activator). I'm not sure if it's moisture-proof (I livei n Montana...it's dry here so I don't care), but you can lay it down on bare metal (no need for an epoxy primer coat below it). I've done my entire front-end with this stuff. Goes on easily, mixes with the activator (4:1 ratio as per directions). I ended up putting three coats of it on my Chevy all in all. I did all my filler work before I laid down primer then block wetsanded the primer with 220 after the first coat, then with 400 after the second and third coats. Came out very flat...I almost considered laving it in primer it looked so good. I started painting after the third primer coat (after sanding with 400 grit). I'm painting the rest of my front-end with tinted Rustoleum from my local Ace Hardware (it's nice being in a small town)...they matched it to what color I wanted...kind of a copper orange color). It's laying down nicely and I'm on my 5th coat. Uniform color with very little orage peel.

Good luck y'all!

Last edited by hutchenc; 05/25/06 01:29 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #23166
05/25/06 07:44 AM
05/25/06 07:44 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Sounds like certain colors (Yellow, Safety Red) are having the see through problems. If you were to lay down a color for a base coat which would you guys use? From watching some of the car shows I see them do that with Candy Paints. But I've seen different colors used for the basecoats, silver, white, black, etc...Does the different color basecoats give different effects. If so, what changes? What color would you guys use for basecoats?

roe

I haven't had time to experiment yet and don't have a piece ready to experiment on either. However, I'm taking the week of June 5th off from my day job to work on my 46 Jeep. Part of the plan is to weld up the radio-option slots in my 59 Sprite's dash so I can start my experiments with the paint. My plan is to roller on Rusto clean metal primer (dash is one of the few parts without rust on this car), block sand and then lay down a black base coat or two with semi-gloss. Then several more coats of safety red (as many as necessary, polish and follow up with satin black stripes. Hopefully this will give me the look I'm after.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23167
05/25/06 09:16 AM
05/25/06 09:16 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

White paint. Two or three coats.

White pigment gives the best, most solid cover and should give you a solid base.

Or if you want something that looks like primer, use their "smoke grey" which looks just like primer color despite the darker color on the label. If you put that on then rough the surface it will appear to be primer. Or just leave it glossy and grey, like a polished primer look..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23168
05/25/06 11:09 AM
05/25/06 11:09 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

there is rollable primer...you just have to thin out the same and roll it on...ifound that the primer went on better than the paint it self :weird:

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23169
05/25/06 02:35 PM
05/25/06 02:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Goody - some body shops are using roll on primer now. I don't have any brand names for you, but they are out there. You could probably roll any of them on if you want actually.

Call one of the local body shop supply outfits and see what they say.

Page 84 of 85 1 2 82 83 84 85