05/25/06 03:50 PM
05/25/06 03:50 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, I posted a couple pics of my lincoln like 10 pages back..lol i lost track of what coat, 6, 7 or 8th caot, anyways i havent wetsanded with fine grit, it started to rain but anyways its turning out great IMO, beats spending hundreds and hundreds on a paint job, but anywas here are some pics, sorry there small, my digi cam is crapping on me

ill get more after the wetsand sometime this weekend, ill get close up ones to, but its about the same as you see in the pics

Last edited by Twoloud; 05/25/06 03:51 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23171
05/25/06 05:55 PM
05/25/06 05:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm having some problems with the final wetsand. I'm not sure why, but when I wetsand all the orange peel out after the 6th coat, some of the paint will flake off in the corners and also the old paint shows through a little bit in some spots. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I'm thinning the paint correctly, I have done all the steps as told to do them. My final wetsand is with 2000 grit while not putting any pressure on the sandpaper, just lightly rubbing it across the surface. I really don't have any orange peel, it just roller marks. Can anyone help me? Is it something to do with my paint? I'm using the odorless mineral spirits. Please help, this is driving me crazy.

Also, the paint is scratch proof, not put on too thick or anything. I'm out of ideas.

One thing though, I got some 400 and 600 sandpaper from Lowes, and then 800, 1500, and 2000 from Walmart. (3M brand from Walmart, and GatorGrit brand from Lowes) The 800 3M sandpaper feels like the 400 Gatorgrit. Could this be causing it? Thanks

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23172
05/25/06 08:25 PM
05/25/06 08:25 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Jackrabbit:
Welcome. I've used the semi-gloss black and did not care for it. I immediately switched back to gloss. I had terrible problems with runs and I couldn't seem to sand them well enough to completely remove them. See pics in my post just above your original one. GL.

Last edited by IntegraGuy; 05/25/06 08:26 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23173
05/25/06 10:10 PM
05/25/06 10:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Another MR2 guy coming over from MR2OC and man! This is the thing I've been waiting for to do when summer hits! I have a few questions. I used two test piece first using gloss black. I used my front hood and my side engine lid. I sanded my hood down using 80 grit, then 150 then 220. AFter that I thinned the painted out using paint thinner auntil it is thin like water. I soaked the white roller into the paint and rolled it on. After two coats, I wetsanded using 600 grit, then another 2 coats, wetsanded with 1500, another 2 coats and wetsanded lightly using 1500. I proceeded to polish the hood using the turtle wax but the polish didn't seem to come off when I tried to wipe it off so in order to get rid of all the scratches, I laid another coat onto the hood and waxed it. The surface is very smooth but...this is my result:

My other test piece came out incredible! I didn't sand the piece but I did wiped it down with mineral spirits. Then I used the foam brush and just brushed onto the side engine lid. The paint quality came out incredible after two coats BUT you can see some paint strokes.

What do you guys suggest I do? I'm not using the odorless mineral spirits but the paint thiner that contains mineral spirits. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23174
05/25/06 11:05 PM
05/25/06 11:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I got my paint/mineral spirits mixture worked out and have been laying down nice, smooth coats on my hood. I just finished coat number five. I'm concerned, however, because I can still see through the paint to where I sanded through the original paint to bare metal in several spots when I prepped the panel. I think it was Exit who referred to the "mahogany" look. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to reach a uniform color. Maybe I should have primed first to make a nice uniform base. If it weren't for the sanding spots, I could almost call the hood done. Any thoughts? Thanks.
-Ian

Well you see, that there is your problem. You are using Country Crock. Maybe switching over to Land O'Lakes will fix this problem?

Actually, I had the same problem you and Exit are having. I mentioned that I was putting on my coats really thin. I was basically squeezing out a lot of the paint before I rolled. After the 3rd coat everything was still visiable benieth. So, I thickened up on the 4th coat and called it a "normal" coat. However, I had a problem- orange peel. Not severe, but enough to compete with a bad OEM job. I would say after I thickened up on the 4th coat things started looking much better. A problem with using a thicker coat is that it doesnt dry as fast. It feels dry to the touch but it will be softer a lot longer than those thin coats. What saved me was the fact that I was painting outside- in the sun. Others have said it was a no-no but in my case I didnt have a choice. A couple times I painted in the shade though or after 6 when the sun was going down- so it wasnt so bad. The metal was warm, etc. I painted my groundfx and spoiler on my patio in the shade and the paint still kind of feels soft and I did 6 layers at the same thickness as the car. When I say it is soft I mean more like a hard soft.. hmm, hope you get the point.

In your case you might have way to much mineral spirits in the paint. I didnt read the rest of the posts yet so not sure if you answered to that yet

I think I have 9 coats on my car and 6 on my groundfx. Paint on the car is super hard .. but comes off easy with an exacto blade.. found that out the hardway .. no fixing that too ...

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23175
05/25/06 11:49 PM
05/25/06 11:49 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Are you using 100% mineral spirits or some paint thinner that contains some mineral spirits? whatever you use whether it's odor or odorless it should be 100% mineral spirits.

you say you soaked the roller then started. that's the problem if you ask me. you shouldn't be putting much paint on each coat. if that surface wasn't flat when you painted it (assuming it was) you would have runs instead of orange peel. Put it so the surface is vertical and try again with much less paint per coat. If you see runs, you're putting it on too thick. Once you see how much you need to put on (which is not much) you can do other surfaces.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23176
05/26/06 12:19 AM
05/26/06 12:19 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Alan, come to my house and we'll work on it, i am doing my brother's SW...its coming out pretty nicely, finally i know what i am doing here...and i had some test pieces, as long as u have enough coating...and wetsanded it throughly that u don't see those dots, if u see dots that means it's not smooth enough, has to be flat even...then polish and it shines very nicely...give me a call man...
and come pick up the scoop!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23177
05/26/06 03:34 AM
05/26/06 03:34 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Are you using 100% mineral spirits or some paint thinner that contains some mineral spirits? whatever you use whether it's odor or odorless it should be 100% mineral spirits.

you say you soaked the roller then started. that's the problem if you ask me. you shouldn't be putting much paint on each coat. if that surface wasn't flat when you painted it (assuming it was) you would have runs instead of orange peel. Put it so the surface is vertical and try again with much less paint per coat. If you see runs, you're putting it on too thick. Once you see how much you need to put on (which is not much) you can do other surfaces.

100& mineral spirits? I am using paint thinner that contains mineral spirits. Does it really matter? How does one put paint on the roller then? Do I use the foam roller to brush it onto the roller?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23178
05/26/06 03:36 AM
05/26/06 03:36 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Alan, come to my house and we'll work on it, i am doing my brother's SW...its coming out pretty nicely, finally i know what i am doing here...and i had some test pieces, as long as u have enough coating...and wetsanded it throughly that u don't see those dots, if u see dots that means it's not smooth enough, has to be flat even...then polish and it shines very nicely...give me a call man...
and come pick up the scoop!

Perry, can you describe what excatly you did? I'm kinda in the process of doing it right now so I don't raelly wanna drive anywhere far haha I still gotta sand down the old paint so that it is very smooth.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23179
05/26/06 10:07 AM
05/26/06 10:07 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

100& mineral spirits? I am using paint thinner that contains mineral spirits. Does it really matter? How does one put paint on the roller then? Do I use the foam roller to brush it onto the roller?

I think it does really matter. That paint thinner can contain a bunch of other things that affect how it goes on, how fast it dries, so forth.

When you say you soak the roller that makes me think you are filling it up then taking it to the panel and laying down a nice thick layer of paint, which is what you want to avoid. I've only tried that on a decklid where I was going to quickly be able to spread all that paint around. It looks from your pic that your paint went on too thick and perhaps the thinner you used started drying before the mixture could level out (although it can only level so much if there's too much paint there). So after soaking the roller you would either use ALL that paint to do your area (tougher) or squeeze most of it out and do one area/portion at a time. I usually squeeze most of it out which leaves a nice thin layer that goes on super flat. For a big Dart hood I might go back to the paint tray 5 times..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23180
05/26/06 10:51 AM
05/26/06 10:51 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm having some problems with the final wetsand. I'm not sure why, but when I wetsand all the orange peel out after the 6th coat, some of the paint will flake off in the corners and also the old paint shows through a little bit in some spots. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I'm thinning the paint correctly, I have done all the steps as told to do them. My final wetsand is with 2000 grit while not putting any pressure on the sandpaper, just lightly rubbing it across the surface. I really don't have any orange peel, it just roller marks. Can anyone help me? Is it something to do with my paint? I'm using the odorless mineral spirits. Please help, this is driving me crazy.

Also, the paint is scratch proof, not put on too thick or anything. I'm out of ideas.

One thing though, I got some 400 and 600 sandpaper from Lowes, and then 800, 1500, and 2000 from Walmart. (3M brand from Walmart, and GatorGrit brand from Lowes) The 800 3M sandpaper feels like the 400 Gatorgrit. Could this be causing it? Thanks

Anyone?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23181
05/26/06 11:03 AM
05/26/06 11:03 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Sounds like you are having adhesion problems. Make sure you are first sanding the surface with enough grit to give it enough bite for the paint to stick to. Other possibilities are contamination on the original surface, or not letting under layers dry properly possibly to due too thick of coats.

Make sure your original surface has been sanded with enough bite, has been cleaned properly with mineral spirits prior and coats are going on as thin as possible.

FYI, Looks like we hit the thread limit, Charger created a new thread here: Page 44

Last edited by Smite; 05/30/06 11:31 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23182
05/26/06 11:09 AM
05/26/06 11:09 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Do not use "Paint Thinner"!

I posted something about this several days ago. Paint thinner is not pure enough and will react with enamel paint. Must be 100% Mineral Spirits. That's your problem.

This thread has been locked for some reaon. However it has been continued elsewhere on this board. Please follow this link:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post2655425

Last edited by Senna; 06/04/06 08:31 PM.
Page 85 of 85 1 2 83 84 85