03/31/06 02:04 PM
03/31/06 02:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

maybe I am getting things confused but for waxing the car, I use lots of water with the diamond cut stuff?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22371
03/31/06 02:20 PM
03/31/06 02:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Ok, so i have the get alllll the white circles out? Even though they arent bumpy? I had some bumpy circles but those were bubbles that dried up and i got rid of them.

I'm wetsanding with fingers and well now i see it isnt working very well. The bLock is really small and takes forever!! LOL. I guess i'm gonna have to suck it up and scrub hahaha.

PS: Exit1965 Good to see you back in the game This stuff isnt that bad lol, i'm in such a big mess but i'm gonna keep going. GL To u too

well, do you HAVE to get all the "white circles" out? You don't HAVE to do anything (I tell that to my wife all the time - she still doesn't get it ) But... if you want a super smooth paint job, you're gonna need to get rid of them. Looking at the photo you took of the door, you can see exactly what they are; high spots (bumps) in the paint. They only look white because the sandpaper scuffed them, and they're high enough that the sandpaper didn't get down into the "valleys" between them (which is why the valleys still look glossy). This is where sanding with a block is important, using a block will give you a flat surface when sanding so you'll KNOW/SEE the high spots and low spots. Make sense?

Be careful - you really dont want to "scrub", as in applying alot of pressure, you risk "scrubbing" off all the paint, or worse - sanding it unevenly. When you're wetsanding, keep that surface moist. I use a spray bottle, and when I feel like the sanding block is starting to "grab", give it another spritz of water. Smooth and steady. One way to tell that you've sanded enough, like 69 says, the entire surface will look smooth - like velvet. Now, if you REALLY want it smooth, you do like GTS suggests; when you think you're done, spray the area with a primer of contrast (dark primer on white paint/light primer on dark paint) then block sand it ALL OFF! If you did it right, you wont see any of the primer left. If you didn't, you'll see spots of the primer left in the "low" spots (scratches/dents/etc). That's hardcore!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22372
03/31/06 02:26 PM
03/31/06 02:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

maybe I am getting things confused but for waxing the car, I use lots of water with the diamond cut stuff?

The Diamond Cut is a "polish" - not a wax. For waxing, use plain old car wax (of your own choice)

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22373
03/31/06 05:51 PM
03/31/06 05:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ah, thanks for the clarification.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22374
03/31/06 07:32 PM
03/31/06 07:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am sorry, just had to try this Where we at on the post count now?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GTSDave] #22375
03/31/06 10:24 PM
03/31/06 10:24 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

M2001,

I should have mentioned that. I wet sand in straight lines. I do change the direction but always in a straight line.
--------||||||||||---------|||||||||

-Dave

Dave - can you offer up a reason why sanding in a straight line is better than swirling?
Anyone else care to comment?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22376
03/31/06 11:00 PM
03/31/06 11:00 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Quote:

Dave - can you offer up a reason why sanding in a straight line is better than swirling?
Anyone else care to comment?

For me when I go in a swirl, I tend to dig the corners of my paper in, and it makes deeper scratches. I also find that going in straight lines gives me a more uniform finish. I am applying even pressure on the sanding block. With swirls, it is not steady / even pressure, and when you are going for a nice flat finish, it is counter productive. I don’t want to sand any more than I have to, so if going in straight lines makes the flattest finish for me, that is the way I go.

-Dave

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22377
04/01/06 01:51 PM
04/01/06 01:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I asked the same question once. The guy used to work in a body shop, and he said that the sanding, even with a very high grit, makes tiny scratches on the paint, and light reflection is different than in the no "scratched areas". when you go in circles or swirls, those scratches are going to reflect light in all directions, not matter where you are looking at the car. It is going to look like a shiny "spider web". In the other hand, when you go in straight lines, the reflections from those scratches, it is going to match with the reflections on the panel if they are parallels. if the reflection is perpendicular to the reflection of the panel, it is going to go in a different directions but not to the observer, so the scratches are less evident.
I hope my explanation is understandable.
To make it easy, It is the same when you are next to a pond and you throw a stone in it. the reflection of light is going to go to your eyes wherever point you are standing at. But when there is waves, you can see the reflection just when you are in the direction of source of light. But you can't see it when you are perpendicular to the source of light.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22378
04/01/06 03:20 PM
04/01/06 03:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Heres what the wife and I did this morning, 40 degrees outside, right in the parking lot.
$500 daily beater before...

$30 and 3 hours later...

I did zero prep work, no sanding, no priming, I didn't even tape anything off. Satin Black,looks great for me..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22379
04/01/06 05:01 PM
04/01/06 05:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Heres what the wife and I did this morning, 40 degrees outside, right in the parking lot.

$30 and 3 hours later...

I did zero prep work, no sanding, no priming, I didn't even tape anything off. Satin Black,looks great for me..

If I wasn't already sold (and I am becuase I've been looking for semi-gloss black EVERYWHERE) I am now!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22380
04/01/06 06:39 PM
04/01/06 06:39 PM
New York
G
GTXed Offline
GTXed  Offline
G

New York
69Charger, Ive been following this thread from the beginning and I was just wondering.If I decide to spray a panel as a test,should I still use mineral spirits and water it down as I would rollering? I,ve scrolled through a bunch of these pages and havent been able to find where anyone has asked about this.I,m going to try rollering a trunk lid in the next week or so but I want to spray one side just to compare the two! Thanks and great thread!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GTXed] #22381
04/01/06 07:23 PM
04/01/06 07:23 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69Charger, Ive been following this thread from the beginning and I was just wondering.If I decide to spray a panel as a test,should I still use mineral spirits and water it down as I would rollering? I,ve scrolled through a bunch of these pages and havent been able to find where anyone has asked about this.I,m going to try rollering a trunk lid in the next week or so but I want to spray one side just to compare the two! Thanks and great thread!

if your spraying the paint, thin it down with mineral spirits, guess at the mix would be 30%, like a reducer. i have sprayed the tremclad/rustoleum, and it sprays awesome, flows very nice, and alot eaiser than single stage paint, does'nt smell as bad either. if you can spray, i'm sure you'll be really really happy with it, like i said it flows like no other paint i've sprayed before, just make sure it's thinned out nice, if your gun starts clogging, your too thick, works espically nice with a HVLP setup. just a tip if you do spray, thin only to get good performance from your gun, then, when painting, it's not like single stage or BC/CC, you'll want to lay each coat just enough to be wet, but not thick, unlike where you spray single stage with 1 mist coat, then 2 medium, then 1 mist coat again if your doing a metalic. just spray just enough for it to be "wet" and self level. on some peices i've done, the results were glass, amazing results. thing i like about the paint is that it's so inert, does'nt fish eye, humidity and temp are allmost irrevelant, unless your doing it in extreems. just a incredibly easy to spray, and flows amazing paint. i sprayed 4 coats on my test pieces, and did'nt wetsand at all, just polish, results were amazing. i'm debating on trying the tremclad clear coat, since tremclad sent me a case of it!!!! good luck. post some pics.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22382
04/01/06 11:22 PM
04/01/06 11:22 PM
Va. Beach, Va
69superbee383 Offline
master
69superbee383  Offline
master

Va. Beach, Va
Quote:

Quote:

$30 and 3 hours later...

If I wasn't already sold (and I am becuase I've been looking for semi-gloss black EVERYWHERE) I am now!!

We did that to an old police Caprice a few years ago...want to have real fun get a stenil and paint in flat red letters " offical use only " on the doors and some meaningless numbers in flat red on the fenders then black the windows out and stick a few antennas on it....really freaks people out

77 Macho Power Wagon LWB factory 440 70 Coronet 440 N code 3 speed
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69superbee383] #22383
04/02/06 01:51 AM
04/02/06 01:51 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I'm trying some Penetrol stuff now. On a small part of my old door, I laid down a coat that colored it completely. It was "Aluminum" color Rustoleum (which is metallic) mixed with penetrol to make a pretty watery mixture as far as I could tell. Anyways, it's laying very flat with no roller marks, so the penetrol is doing its job. I'm going to do 3 coats total, wetsanding after each coat starting with 1000 then end with 1500. The first coat seemed to color it completely so 3 coats should be more than enough.

If penetrol works the way it seems it is, the 50 dollar paint job got a lot easier because you can do 3 coats instead of 6.

The strange thing is this paint, it's called "aluminum" and its from Rustoleum professional... its got lots of metallic in it, but I found it hard to mix up.. there always seemed to be light and dark in the can. The color that ended up on the test area is uniform, but not very glossy. It looks kind of like sandpaper. We'll see how it will dry.

Anyways I am keeping my fingers crossed that using Penetrol somehow results in the final product being harder than the mineral spirit mixes. Though on my prof. test area, I cannot scratch off to the surface, I can still put lots of little designs in it with my fingernail. Other people say their rustoleum dried very hard so I'm not sure what's going on in my garage.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22384
04/02/06 04:25 AM
04/02/06 04:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

hey exit, I'm real interested in what the aluminum looks like under different lights. I want to do a 2 tone paint job of light and dark grey and i see the aluminum as the only option for light grey under the professional line up.

Does it hav a strong metalic look to it? I wonder if I can mix in some of the dark grey in it to cut back if thats the case.

prep for my car has delayed my attempts of this method here and there but I expect to get working on it soon.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22385
04/02/06 12:58 PM
04/02/06 12:58 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I'm trying some Penetrol stuff now. On a small part of my old door, I laid down a coat that colored it completely. It was "Aluminum" color Rustoleum (which is metallic) mixed with penetrol to make a pretty watery mixture as far as I could tell. Anyways, it's laying very flat with no roller marks, so the penetrol is doing its job. I'm going to do 3 coats total, wetsanding after each coat starting with 1000 then end with 1500. The first coat seemed to color it completely so 3 coats should be more than enough.

If penetrol works the way it seems it is, the 50 dollar paint job got a lot easier because you can do 3 coats instead of 6.

The strange thing is this paint, it's called "aluminum" and its from Rustoleum professional... its got lots of metallic in it, but I found it hard to mix up.. there always seemed to be light and dark in the can. The color that ended up on the test area is uniform, but not very glossy. It looks kind of like sandpaper. We'll see how it will dry.

Anyways I am keeping my fingers crossed that using Penetrol somehow results in the final product being harder than the mineral spirit mixes. Though on my prof. test area, I cannot scratch off to the surface, I can still put lots of little designs in it with my fingernail. Other people say their rustoleum dried very hard so I'm not sure what's going on in my garage.

be carefull, that alluminum paint is totally different from the other stuff. it's prone to fish eyes, and major shift in the metalics. don't guage your results on this paint, it dries allmost semi-gloss, it will never shine, i know, i used that paint to paint the wheels on the VW's. it's not the same paint as the colors.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22386
04/02/06 02:50 PM
04/02/06 02:50 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I asked the same question once. The guy used to work in a body shop, and he said that the sanding, even with a very high grit, makes tiny scratches on the paint, and light reflection is different than in the no "scratched areas". when you go in circles or swirls, those scratches are going to reflect light in all directions, not matter where you are looking at the car. It is going to look like a shiny "spider web". In the other hand, when you go in straight lines, the reflections from those scratches, it is going to match with the reflections on the panel if they are parallels. if the reflection is perpendicular to the reflection of the panel, it is going to go in a different directions but not to the observer, so the scratches are less evident.
I hope my explanation is understandable.
To make it easy, It is the same when you are next to a pond and you throw a stone in it. the reflection of light is going to go to your eyes wherever point you are standing at. But when there is waves, you can see the reflection just when you are in the direction of source of light. But you can't see it when you are perpendicular to the source of light.

Sounds reasonable. I suppose in theory it doesn't really make any difference if you final polish enough as you should eliminate all of the "scratching" anyway.

On a different note - started prepping the mower for painting. Gonna try the penetrol this time, see if I notice any difference. I didn't fully realize just how banged around it got from Hurricane Wilma, it's been a dry winter and I think I've only mowed the lawn twice since then. I had to leave it outside during the storm, no room in the garage - it got blown about 20 feet from where it was originally parked up against the house, and took a bit of a pounding when the metal awnings got ripped off the house. Not bad, but pretty amazing, it's pretty damned heavy and it was still in "park" mode, so it was not rolling but dragging across the pavement!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22387
04/02/06 04:18 PM
04/02/06 04:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, I, like many others stumbled upon this behemoth of a thread about two weeks ago. Right on time since I am in the process of fixing my car. I will not reveal the model or any other info about the car besides the fact that it's from the 80's, has a V8, is four years older than me, and was born on the same side of the ocean as I was.

I debated with myself about using this method to paint my car, especially since being in college money is *tight*. Anyway, I am using the rustoleum pro aluminum #7715. When I first bought the gallon from HD, the paint in the can on top was very watery, but when I stuck the stick in it was very thick on the bottom, almost tar-like! I stirred the paint with the stick for like 15 minutes and it helped a little. Then I mixed it with MS, and painted my hood and roof. The paint when on okay. I waited a little, did a second coat and left.
Came back the next day and the paint looked like crap, with roller marks and wasnt fully dry in places. I tried to sand it of and even with water it clogged so bad the paper was useless after about ten minutes. I took the paint back to HD and the paint guy said the paint looked defective to him. He pulled me another can, cracked it and checked the bottom, and it was gummy but not as bad as mine. He told me he was gonna shake it up and I said no b/c of the bubbles. He said he'll only shake it for a minute, not the full four minutes. He shook it up, pulled the can out and popped the top. No bubbles. Smooth, uniform paint. NICE.
While at HD I picked up some better foam rollers. The first ones I used were black, and the foma layer I realized was thin, and the roller part was thick. I found the white ones and the foam layer was thick, almost all the way to the center and the roller part was very thin. Worked much better.
After I resanded the hood and roof back to smooth, I mixed up the paint and started rolling the car. Went on smooth and very nice. After the first coat it looked very shiny and light. My car was originally Earl Scheib silver, and it the 1st coat looked very bright silver, almost like a chrome, but not smooth and glassy like chrome. The second coat looke much darker, closer to the color on the label. still smooth. I am on my way to go sand it down with 600 and more paint right now. The results look promising. I dont know what fish eyes are, but mine looks fine. We'll see!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22388
04/02/06 08:56 PM
04/02/06 08:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

PROJECT LAWN MOWER - the quest for the perfect inexpensive paintjob CONTINUES!

Okay, well, its gonna have to wait a little longer. As I mentioned earlier, I did the pep work today, a thorough wetsand (400 grit) over the existing paint which was still in pretty reasonable condition. I had bought some of the Penetrol and made the decision to try it out.

First thing I noticed was how thick the Penetrol was, almost like salad oil as described earlier. I thinned out the paint to nearly 50% but it was still thicker than my mineral spirits batch. Thinning any more I felt would be pointless as the mix was almost the same consistancy as the Penetrol right out of the can.

Got started and immediately was not liking what I was seeing. Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles. But of more immediate concern was the fact that I could not blow out the bubbles like I was able to do with the mineral spirits batch. The paint did eventually spread out, but by no means any better than the mineral spirits batch, but it did take almost three times as long, and a frustrating amount of re-rollering to eliminate the bubbles. The more I worked with it, the less I liked it. I worked it and worked it and worked, and eventually got a decent coat down. But it was VERY labor intensive, and I was not wholey satisfied I'd gotten all the bubbles out.

After only doing the "bonnet" of the mower, I made the decision to can up the remainder of the Penetrol batch and park it on the shelf.

Mixed up a batch of mineral spirits thinned paint and had a go on the fenders and rear deck. What a WORLD of difference! The mineral spirits batch went of infinitely easier, the bubbles disipated with a mere puff of breath and the paint instantly started to "flow". I was able to cover the same amount of surface area as the bonnet in 1/4 of the time as the Penetrol batch, with virtually no trouble with bubbles.

I was sold, the remainder of the Penetrol will stay in the can and will heve to find a use for something else. After waiting a couple of hours, I went back to re-examine. I acutally tried to lay down a second coat of mineral spirit batch over the Penetrol batch, but it was still too tacky - paint started to pull up.

The Mineral Spirits coat I'm sure would have recieved a second coat with no trouble as it alreadfy felt dry - and it was laid down AFTER the Penetrol coat!

After another hour or so, I compared the two mixes and noted: Both flowed smoothly, and the Penetrol coat did eventually yield the same results of the mineral spirits coat, However, it took a considerable more amount of work to achieve this result, and the Penetrol coat stayed "wet" for much long. Longer enough, in fact, that it managed to attract considerably more dust and other debris than I was comfortable with. Granted, in doing a car I would spend considerably greater efforts to get the garage clean. On the flip side of this, the mineral spirits coat went on very nicely, but has a much narrower margin for error. You only have about 5 - 10 minutes to work with it before you have to stop, or risk pulling up paint.

My personal conclusion is that the Penetrol, although in the end producing a comparable coat, showed no advantages over the mineral spirits. In fact, to me it exhibited enough negative traits that I've chosen not to experiment any further with it, preferring the comparitive ease of the mineral spirits.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22389
04/02/06 09:37 PM
04/02/06 09:37 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Youre right Charger, this aluminum stuff wont work well for this. After wetsanding, it leaves black scratches with some silver. Looks very bad.

I guess I'll try to find some standard rustoleum "pewter gray" which I understand does gloss.

Page 45 of 85 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 84 85