03/28/06 01:20 PM
03/28/06 01:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

“WTF am I doing?” This sounds like a good name for a club. I think I may have come across a WTF moment. Have you guys used PENETROL with Rustoleum? I came across it while I was at Home Depot shopping for stuff to paint my car with (I can’t believe I just said that.) Its web site states it’s a rust inhibitor, enhances penetration and adhesion, makes paint flow more smoothly, and reduces brush marks and leveling problems. So in the spirit of research and adventure I said, “WTF” and volunteered to use to the hood of my bug for an experiment.

PENETROL is about the same consistency as Italian dressing so I couldn’t quite mix it to the “water” consistency 69Charger recommended. The closest I could get was the “Malox” consistency Exit1965 mentioned. This resulted in a dilution of 40-60% (depending on the weather), even though the PENETROL instructions recommended a 10-40% dilution. I was in such a hurry to try it, I rushed through 69Charger’s instructions and got mixed up. When he mentioned having a roller in one hand and a foam brush in the other, I thought he meant to apply the paint mixture with a roller first then use a foam brush on the same area. As to how to apply it, I wasn’t quite sure, so I thought it might be like the application techniques used in the Coach Painting website-http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/brush.html. So I first rollered in a horizontal then in a vertical motion, then brushed horizontally/vertically with the foam brush, then again lightly with the foam brush first horizontally then vertically to prevent the paint from furrowing.

When I first applied it, there were the bubbles left behind from the roller trail, but they would disappear on their own, form miniscule orange peels then settle. I went for the maximum drying time (24 hours.) When it did dry, there were no bubbles or orange peel, just the microscopic trails left by the brush. I was impressed with the general smoothness and gloss.

Once again I mixed up 69Charger’s instructions and sanded not after the 2nd coat, but after the 1st coat (600 grit.) I sanded after the 2nd coat too, but the finish was so smooth, I just jumped straight to 1000 grit. When the 3rd coat dried , it looked good enough to polish right there.

As with any paint technique, I know you need a good surface to begin with. So I applied a primer/sealer first, then sanded it as smooth as I could. Another reason why I used the primer was because I didn’t want to risk the adhesion problems others had with Rustoleum. I may have not needed it though. I noticed that a drop of the Rustoleum-Penetrol mixture which had fallen on a non-primered area, passed the scratch test after 3 days.

I apologize to 69 Charger for f***ing up his instructions, but in my mess-up I think I’ve stumbled across a new, barely explored branch to this budget painting thread. Oh no…not another thread!

2510606-rustbug.bmp (2735 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22311
03/28/06 03:55 PM
03/28/06 03:55 PM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
That looks awesome, poorbugr! So is the third picture with or without polishing? Here's a page from the Penetrol web site.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22312
03/28/06 04:03 PM
03/28/06 04:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey poorbug, the paint looks great!
So, did you use any mineral spirits at all?
My bug is waiting for new paint
Please keep as updated with pictures.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22313
03/28/06 04:22 PM
03/28/06 04:22 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
i just read about the penetrol stuff, funny about the spontanious combustion!!!!! that actually made me laugh out loud, like those drug commeritals on tv, "to ellimanate headaches, try headsil, WARNING: sideaffects may include, anal bleeding, anal parasites, severe vommiting and diareha (at the same time!!!), puss leaking from all orifices, severe baldness, hemmoriods, PMS sysmptoms in MEN!!!, impotence (take hardsil to correct!!!), worm like animal residing in you ear cannals, and rectum, uncontorable outbursts of yelling profanities (like turrets syndrome!!!)..................

i'd rather just have the headache!!!!

nice work poorbug, interesting product, tell us more about your process........

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22314
03/28/06 04:27 PM
03/28/06 04:27 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Poorbug, do you have a head-on picture of it, e.g. how does it shine looking at it flat? Does the surface show scratches?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22315
03/28/06 04:45 PM
03/28/06 04:45 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Poorbug, do you have a head-on picture of it, e.g. how does it shine looking at it flat? Does the surface show scratches?

i thought u were "hanging up the roller"????

i'd rather paint my car for $50 and get a real paint job for $5000 when i can afford it over a cheap macco crappy paint job. i had my money on you for having the first sucess story.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22316
03/28/06 04:55 PM
03/28/06 04:55 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

i thought u were "hanging up the roller"????

i'd rather paint my car for $50 and get a real paint job for $5000 when i can afford it over a cheap macco crappy paint job. i had my money on you for having the first sucess story.

I am hanging up the roller. I said Maaco/miracle, but I would only really consider Miracle.. they do a lot of old cars, they did my dad's 65 Coronet 500 and it turned out nice. Their cheap job I can get for about $500 and do the jambs myself with Rusto professional.

Still I want to see if there's a way to pull this rustoleum thing off. Even with that product to make it flow better, I don't see how the overall gloss would be any better. The gloss on my test areas looked OK till I wetsanded, but if I had not wetsanded there would have been lots of tiny surface imperfections.

Whether or not I paint my car with a roller to me doesnt matter as much as this topic helped get me off my can and start spending a lot of time prepping for paint. I figure I have done the work and determined that roller painting doesn't result in the look I want for my car, so that's that. Either way there will be another shiney Mopar on the road.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22317
03/28/06 04:57 PM
03/28/06 04:57 PM
florida
D
DDDDDD Offline
enthusiast
DDDDDD  Offline
enthusiast
D

florida
Hi, i have been reading this for the past couple of MONTHS and i wanna do it. i am 16 and dont have much $$$$ but i do have a 72 charger that has been outside its whole life and is in real bad need of a paint job. I will take the engine and everything (interior, etc) out and then paint it. SO can someone filter through this post and tell me exactly what i need to do to get the best possible job done, keep in mind it needs to b sanded and primed, so i would need u guys to tell me how to do that too. I can buy ne tools i need for this job, just tell me what to do. I wanna paint the whole car, in the engine bay and trunk too. What all do i need to do, paint numbers/brands/how to mix it all, and places to get all this stuff would be good. I live in florida. Also i kinda like what i read abourt the penetrol. i have no knowledge about grits of paper and stuff but i am willing to learn. o, and i want the color to be like a tourch/viper red, so what color to use?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: DDDDDD] #22318
03/28/06 05:19 PM
03/28/06 05:19 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
DDDDDDD - i would suggest geting a pot of coffee on, read thru all the posts and take notes, all your questions and future questions are answered somewhere. i know it's alot to read, but trust me, you'll pick up alot more than if we were to give you a 1-10 step process.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: DDDDDD] #22319
03/28/06 06:12 PM
03/28/06 06:12 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
It's probably going to need body work, so get yourself some hand blocks, a 17.5" long board, several packs of 80 grit 3m long sandpaper, some 180, fiberglass resin, a couple gallons of bondo, and a gallon of acetone to clean your bondo application tools.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22320
03/28/06 06:57 PM
03/28/06 06:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Greetings fellow Researchers!
Thanks for the feedback. My Rustoleum mixtures didn’t include mineral spirits; I just used the Penetrol. The 3rd picture shows how the hood looked after it dried; no polish at all. I could see the reflection of my butt-ugly face head on, but I could also see minute dust specks and tiny brush marks. I’ll try to get a picture after I put on the final coat with polish. But that may be awhile too. I'm concerned that the Coach Painting site recommends polishing after 7 months of hardening! So I guess I'll have to try polishing at different stages. I’m convinced that Rustoleum is inferior to Tremclad, so we have to be a little more creative in order to get the same results as 69Charger got.
I’m just as new to this Penetrol stuff as you guys are. It’s not time tested like 69Charger’s. After I applied the mixture and let it dry I went, “Whoa, WTF just happened? I gotta show this to the others.” Since we’re all experimenting here, I just felt I had to share my observations. Others who are just about to jump in may be able to add to or enhance our findings. It’s all part of the “adventure “(as Ricklandia put it) we’re on. That's what's so freakin' cool about this thread!

And Exit1965, I can understand your thoughts about wanting to hang up your rollers. Honestly, you Mopar guys are driving works of art. They SHOULD be painted with high end paint jobs. My bug isn’t even worth half of a cheapy Earl Sheib/Maaco job, so 69Charger’s roller technique is perfect for me. Best of luck amigos!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22321
03/28/06 08:37 PM
03/28/06 08:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok guys, i got the second coat done and well not really alot less bubbles this time either but i'm completely out of breath Yea i painted each pannel as if it were the final LOL but IT TURNED OUT NICE! Both of these 2 coats were done with 1 CAN which is 1QUART. The 3rd and 4th coat will be done with the refrigirated can which is back to room temperature, i dunno if it has any bubbles in it yet, i havent opened it (HOpefully not).

Also i'm considering about doing the 3rd 4th coat with this PENETROL mixture, think i should? Will it stick to the RUSTOLEUM-MINERALSPIRIT mixture? I dunno, So far the paint looks pretty shiny under a garage light, havent taken it out in the sun yet. Tommorow i'm taking the car out and into another garage, a closer friends garage where i have more room and lighting. Here are the pics.

I LIKE HOW THE SECOND COAT HAS GONE ON !! ANd this only after second coat, a little to none bubbles.

Last edited by bakuryu; 03/28/06 08:38 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22322
03/28/06 11:15 PM
03/28/06 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, this is something that we should consider for hard to reach places. It has 32 oz capacity and
Use ordinary air from any air source, including hand pumps. It can be found in Harbor Freight for less than $10

2512078-01102.gif (1633 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22323
03/28/06 11:34 PM
03/28/06 11:34 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey guys, this is something that we should consider for hard to reach places. It has 32 oz capacity and
Use ordinary air from any air source, including hand pumps. It can be found in Harbor Freight for less than $10

Huh? Explain plz, whats it called i cant read that picture. How to use this thing.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22324
03/29/06 02:25 AM
03/29/06 02:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ok i went to homedepot and asked if they would tint tremclad and they refused...anyone else have the same problem? anyone know of a place else where that would do it (in toronto) or could u just get the white gloss and mix paint in there to get a desired color? =\ thanks

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22325
03/29/06 04:12 AM
03/29/06 04:12 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

ok i went to homedepot and asked if they would tint tremclad and they refused...anyone else have the same problem? anyone know of a place else where that would do it (in toronto) or could u just get the white gloss and mix paint in there to get a desired color? =\ thanks

The home depot here refused to tint it for me also. I tried painting a fender 2 weeks ago but its still is scratchable. Not with the fingernail so much but a rock hitting it on the highway will chip it for sure. Regardless I will paint the whole car since it's so ugly but hopefully it gets a lot harder.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22326
03/29/06 10:10 AM
03/29/06 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i just read about the penetrol stuff, funny about the spontanious combustion!!!!! that actually made me laugh out loud, like those drug commeritals on tv, "to ellimanate headaches, try headsil, WARNING: sideaffects may include, anal bleeding, anal parasites, severe vommiting and diareha (at the same time!!!), puss leaking from all orifices, severe baldness, hemmoriods, PMS sysmptoms in MEN!!!, impotence (take hardsil to correct!!!), worm like animal residing in you ear cannals, and rectum, uncontorable outbursts of yelling profanities (like turrets syndrome!!!)..................

I'm very interested in your results poorbug. It appears that you've achieved shine comparable to (dare I say superior to) what Charger ended up with. Keep the pics coming and don't down the people's car.
The shine and reflection almost makes me skeptical...like you went to a random new factory paint job and said "look what I did"! With the popularity of this thread, I could see someone doing that to mock us.
Keep the pix coming!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22327
03/29/06 10:15 AM
03/29/06 10:15 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT

Budda's 2nd coat seems to be coming better. DOnt forget the wheels..

Last edited by ZIPPY; 03/31/06 11:08 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22328
03/29/06 10:17 AM
03/29/06 10:17 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I'm very interested in your results poorbug. It appears that you've achieved shine comparable to (dare I say superior to) what Charger ended up with. Keep the pics coming and don't down the people's car.
The shine and reflection almost makes me skeptical...like you went to a random new factory paint job and said "look what I did"! With the popularity of this thread, I could see someone doing that to mock us.
Keep the pix coming!!

Something about the shine that I've already mentioned, and I can only guess will be the case on poorbugs car too-after wetsanding, most of that gloss will go away. SOME of the gloss will be restored with polishing/waxing. But in my experience the gloss from anything other than a steep angle leaves much to be desired. The thing is-- you have to wetsand, or if you get within a few feet of it, you'll see all kind of surface imperfections that would have come out with wetsanding.

Way far back in this thread, there was someone who mentioned that after a standard application of rustoleum, the shine went away in (can't remember) weeks or months. So even if you COULD apply a perfect final coat that didn't require wetsanding, it may still very well lose that shine. Time will tell as more people experiment with this stuff..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22329
03/29/06 10:18 AM
03/29/06 10:18 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Whoah, 22 Pages!! We're drinking the Rustoleum Kool-Aid...
Quote:

Ok guys, i got the second coat done and well not really alot less bubbles this time either but i'm completely out of breath Yea i painted each pannel as if it were the final LOL but IT TURNED OUT NICE! Both of these 2 coats were done with 1 CAN which is 1QUART. The 3rd and 4th coat will be done with the refrigirated can which is back to room temperature, i dunno if it has any bubbles in it yet, i havent opened it (HOpefully not).

Also i'm considering about doing the 3rd 4th coat with this PENETROL mixture, think i should? Will it stick to the RUSTOLEUM-MINERALSPIRIT mixture? I dunno, So far the paint looks pretty shiny under a garage light, havent taken it out in the sun yet. Tommorow i'm taking the car out and into another garage, a closer friends garage where i have more room and lighting. Here are the pics.

I LIKE HOW THE SECOND COAT HAS GONE ON !! ANd this only after second coat, a little to none bubbles.

Nice work...there's a lot to be said about jumping in feet first and painting the whole bit like you're doing. The paint looks a little thick from what I can tell, but hey, you've already applied more than I have in my testing.
Keep us posted... pictures like "buddha civic", "beer fridge", "poorbug's penetrol", and exit's tests help validate this method. Nice work guys!

Page 42 of 85 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 84 85