08/07/16 10:08 PM
08/07/16 10:08 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
Well, went for a road test today with front end changes previously mentioned. No change. Went to the rear suspension. Found the lower link bolts where they attach the front of the lower link arms to the frame rails were way loose. Guess I forgot to tighten them upon initial assembly of the 4 link system ( had it all apart for frame powder coating ). The bushings were still good, so I tightened everything up and took it for another road test. Problem solved!! No more hunting / wandering. Ran it up to 80 and steady as a rock! Please don't tell anybody. whistling

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #2127601
08/08/16 12:36 AM
08/08/16 12:36 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Your secrete is safe with us. I'm glad you have the problem fixed.

The first car I built from scratch I forgot to tighten the axle to leaf spring bolts. It only takes a couple of seconds of distraction to forget something. We have all done it, those not willing to admit it are being less then honest. Gene

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #2127690
08/08/16 09:39 AM
08/08/16 09:39 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
your secret is safe with me......... after you PAY dearly ! devil glad it was something super easy to fix after examination. up i'm a big fan of the NSRA safety 23 inspection. a second [or third] pair of eyes comes in very handy at catching things a guy doesn't see after looking at everything for a continuous amount of time. a very good friend of mine and i exchange eyeballs constantly in order to catch each other at things we may have missed. now, for the record, are you using nylock nuts or the "deformed" lock nuts for the suspension components ? the reason i ask, is i have found the nylock nuts for some reason, seem to need constant attention to catch when they loosen up. i have seen those come to with in a couple of threads from falling off many times, where as the "deformed" type [i call those "mash nuts, but that is not the correct name, and i can never remember what it is] seem to stay tight untill they need removed. if a cotter key/castle nut can't be used for what ever reason on suspension parts, i use the "deformed" type of lock nut. just my preference. hope you don't run into any more "new car blues". you certainly did your homework well on that one !
beer

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: moparx] #2127785
08/08/16 12:30 PM
08/08/16 12:30 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
Originally Posted By moparx
your secret is safe with me......... after you PAY dearly ! devil glad it was something super easy to fix after examination. up i'm a big fan of the NSRA safety 23 inspection. a second [or third] pair of eyes comes in very handy at catching things a guy doesn't see after looking at everything for a continuous amount of time. a very good friend of mine and i exchange eyeballs constantly in order to catch each other at things we may have missed. now, for the record, are you using nylock nuts or the "deformed" lock nuts for the suspension components ? the reason i ask, is i have found the nylock nuts for some reason, seem to need constant attention to catch when they loosen up. i have seen those come to with in a couple of threads from falling off many times, where as the "deformed" type [i call those "mash nuts, but that is not the correct name, and i can never remember what it is] seem to stay tight untill they need removed. if a cotter key/castle nut can't be used for what ever reason on suspension parts, i use the "deformed" type of lock nut. just my preference. hope you don't run into any more "new car blues". you certainly did your homework well on that one !
beer
Most of the suspension components on this car are using Nylon lock nuts. The bolts in questions ( 3/4" ) thread directly in to welded bungs in the frame rail ( no Nuts ). They are on my "to check" list. Still might put them in with red lock-tight. All other 4 link connections are 3/4" bolts / nylon lock nuts. Haven't seen anything else working loose on ether the front or rear suspension components. Pretty sure I just forgot to tighten them. The exhaust system sits directly over the front 4 link frame mounts/ bolts so they are not real visible when you are rolling around under the car. That's my weak-assed excuse anyway. rolleyes Lots of my Nylon lock nuts have already been on and off multiple times. Probably should change them out. Not a fan of deformed lock nuts on my application as they do lots of thread damage to stuff that could be apart and together multiple times such as caster, camber, toe, pinion angle. A second set of eyes / brains is always a good thing. wave

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #2129196
08/10/16 01:38 AM
08/10/16 01:38 AM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
Its always nice when the car handles like the computer simulation says it will. We spent countless hours mapping the front and rear suspension to make sure it was road worthy. One of the nicest Custom33 Builds to date for sure John!!!!

Owner of Custom33.com 1933 Plymouth Coupe and Roadster Kits
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13