A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted By Blusmbl
Well, it's clear astjp2 won the thread with an actual graph of pressure vs. airspeed.

The equation for that graph was provided back on page one of the thread so the answer was here the whole time. The OP just had "wiki induced brain freeze" which is a relatively new disease. Didn't exist when I was a kid.

Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2050155
04/09/16 01:50 AM
04/09/16 01:50 AM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline OP
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!
DARTH V8Я  Offline OP
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!

Its a TRAP!
Your just not getting it

SHOW ME BOOST! On a car, not a plane, boat, ship, jet, ufo, mosquito after taco night, a bad night of explosive diarrhea but a car travelling at 100mph, or even 200mph, with ram air induction showing BOOST.

Pretty simple request.

RE:

When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..
Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2050189
04/09/16 03:58 AM
04/09/16 03:58 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted By DARTH V8R
Your just not getting it

SHOW ME BOOST!

I think YOU'RE (not your) not getting it.

You want boost?

Look inside the pitot tube. There is your boost. Even if you stick one on a car.

ANY increase in pressure is technically boost.
Raising a vacuum 1" closer to atmospheric pressure is boost.

If you want to see 14.8 psi inside an engine on a 14.7 ambient day without going stupid fast then you're going to need mechanical assistance.

There.

Are you happy?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2050296
04/09/16 11:21 AM
04/09/16 11:21 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By jcc
The cowl intake solution was a clever successful later work around.

According to Chevrolet, they couldn't figure out why there Chevrolets were slowing down as the race wore on and the Pontiacs were faster with 25 less horsepower. It was determined that the Pontiacs engine bays were running 20-30* cooler than the Chevrolets. After some experimentation at Daytona speedweek, the NASCAR cowl induction was born.

Just so happens Popular Hot Rodding magazine did a test with a NASCAR style cowl induction:

"One thing to keep in mind is that this sort of induction doesn’t really offer any true ram effect, and, in fact, most ram-air-style systems don’t either until very high speeds—and even then the pressure increase is pretty negligible. Since cooler air is denser air, and denser air makes more power, the real goal is to provide the engine with an easy source of the coolest air possible."

See I didn't have to show anything.

Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2050303
04/09/16 11:28 AM
04/09/16 11:28 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By jcc
The cowl intake solution was a clever successful later work around.

According to Chevrolet, they couldn't figure out why there Chevrolets were slowing down as the race wore on and the Pontiacs were faster with 25 less horsepower. It was determined that the Pontiacs engine bays were running 20-30* cooler than the Chevrolets. After some experimentation at Daytona speedweek, the NASCAR cowl induction was born.

Just so happens Popular Hot Rodding magazine did a test with a NASCAR style cowl induction:

"One thing to keep in mind is that this sort of induction doesn’t really offer any true ram effect, and, in fact, most ram-air-style systems don’t either until very high speeds—and even then the pressure increase is pretty negligible. Since cooler air is denser air, and denser air makes more power, the real goal is to provide the engine with an easy source of the coolest air possible."

I make a real concerted effort to not let these things go personal.

But The Pontiac/Chevrolet tidbit above has me raising my eyebrows, again, because I have never heard that explanation before, there is no obvious explanation for his conclusion, no quoted source/reference, the author who is connecting the dots, and the author's track record here on this thread, already connecting unrelated dots. Just my opinion before it gets written in stone.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2050824
04/10/16 03:14 AM
04/10/16 03:14 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio

So the ram air does work at bringing the PSI close to atmospheric pressure of 14.7, but will not cross that threshold until ground or airspeed reaches at least 230mph.

So myth confirmed to a point. My apologies, as I should have said ram air to create boost, as boost defined as 14.7psi +xx.

Sport440
{Why would ram air boost stop at 14.7???} Answer, It doesn't.

It increases from whatever the starting atmospheric pressure is currently at.

BUT, It WILL, still be Boost, A Increase in PSI with a Working Ram air Effect. ANY Increase is BOOST by definition.

[/quote]

Sport440,
Okay Now you changed your original question,

From,...{ The Myth of ram air...does it WORK in cars/trucks}

TO;{{ Boost is defined as 14.7psi + xx}}

Ram air boost can start at any MPH from zero and increase from there. There have been formulas and charts posted to prove that.

It takes 70 millibars to achieve 1 psi of boost.

Ram air systems, for most of us will be below this level, but still capable of .50 psi around 150 MPH .25 psi around 100 MPH .125 around 80 MPH

So pick your MPH from any of the above for your {Boost is defined as 14.7psi + xx} and add that. 14.7 + .25/100 MPH = BOOST

Ram air is{ No myth}. CONFIRMED up

Last edited by Sport440; 04/10/16 04:41 AM.
Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2050848
04/10/16 04:38 AM
04/10/16 04:38 AM
Riverside, Ca
R70RUNNER Offline
master
R70RUNNER  Offline
master

Riverside, Ca
Probably the best apples to apples comparison offered. This car is a 1994 SLP firehawk (Ed Hamberger's company.) The only changes done between this car and the 1994 V8 firebird is the "ram air" induction... The standard V8 firebird made a rated 275 crank hp the firehawk made a rated 300 crank hp. Same heads,cam, exhaust (the optional exhaust added 15more) same throttle body. Ect. There was a tune change required and a map location change required but nothing crazy because the car still had to pass cal emissions... Basically, Just the hood which is sealed to and feeds directly into the throttle body. Now you could say "oh its marketing" but time slips don't lie. The std V8 FB was no match for the same year Vette in 0-60 or 1/4 mile...But the Firehawk easily beat the Vette which btw also used the same LT1 engine with a different cam. So, Ram air > camshaft in power gain. Yes there's suspension changes, and vette sized wheels and tires. No gear changes. Please explain this any other way.

Current cars: 2000 Dak Quad Cab, 2012 Challenger,1970 Road Runner, 1994 Firehawk

1966 Coronet post sedan, 1988 Corvette, 2005 Magnum RT all SOLD

R70RUNNER<---VP Inland Empire Chapter of the MPM
Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2053412
04/13/16 05:28 AM
04/13/16 05:28 AM
Brisvegas, Australia
A
Alchemi Offline
enthusiast
Alchemi  Offline
enthusiast
A

Brisvegas, Australia
R70 - you answered yourself - they tuned it, put a lighter bonnet on, changed to possibly? lighter wheels, better suspension and better exhaust - how much came from ram air - un-answered. The firehawk was still 200lbs heavier than a c4 though, go figure on the 1/4 times - obviously a better thought out/engineered package.

Not going to knock ram air though, an 1/8th of a psi is an 1/8th of a psi, as stated above the temp difference would be where its at for major performance changes vs under bonnet air

Arguably you would be better off using the cowl air routed to behind the front wheels to help reduce the aero CD

Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2055539
04/16/16 02:05 PM
04/16/16 02:05 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
You got your answer in the first few posts. It's about fresh or cold air. A scoop that isolates the intake to the air outside the engine compartment will get you colder, denser air. A scoop above the boundary area is going to get you more cold, dense air no matter what speed you're traveling. I've been told this is good. Ram Air is a name Pontiac concocted, as did dodge with Ramcharger. It all works to get you fresh air, which is exactly why Chrysler referred to N96 as the... Fresh Air package and not the Forced Air package. The last four pages of forced air debate is off topic. Ram air works, my friend, and lucky for you, the 1969 1/2 A12 cars have the best production scoops ever produced. Go now. Celebrate.

I’m listening.
Re: The "myth" of ram air.. does it WORK in cars/trucks? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2055982
04/17/16 05:02 AM
04/17/16 05:02 AM
Missouri
StrokerPost Offline
master
StrokerPost  Offline
master

Missouri
FACT or FICTION: Would be interested in hearing your guys opinions. thumbs

Everyone is going to have an opinion ranging from their seat of the pants feel, to the highly educated and scientific, so I will skip an opinion and give my personal "i did this" report. For years on my Dart drag car I ran just a flat hood with with a 14" x 3" air filter, then after a time I decided to try a dual ram air set up just to see if it would net anything. I used flex dryer duct from the air cleaner down next to the radiator and attached to the underside of the bumper, just about a foot off the ground. After running that set up for about a year and having torn it off a couple of times loading it onto my trailer I decided it was time to lose that and go with a hood scoop. Before to ditched the ram air set up completely, I wanted to test all 3 set ups to see the difference between them. Keep in mind that the air cleaner used with the ram air dual inlet had no air filter, I just used a 3" wide piece of sheet metal shaped to the same circumference as the filter, cut 2 oval shaped holes in it for the snorkel fittings and put a lid on it. I didn't want the filter to be a restriction. Here are the results for the test, all on the same day, all within an hour of each other in like conditions...
Run 1, 14" x 3" air cleaner with filter, no ram air-11.57 ET
Run 2, 14" x 3" air cleaner assy without filter with dual inlet ram air-11.42 ET
Run 3, ram air assy removed including filter assy, carb sealed to underside of hood with foam, with the scoop in my sig pic-11.27 ET.
Point of interest and probably disagreement, there are those that will say the gain from run 1 to run 2 (adding ram air) was only from introducing cooler air, but on the hottest of days, with the ram air inlet only about 12" off the pavement, that air isn't going to be to cool, not as cool as the underhood air temp once the car was making speed, and the car on any given day was always about a tenth and a half quicker with the ram air. I do believe its a combination of both, and the fact that I had to jet up the carb 2 jet sizes tells me that more air IS being forced into the engine. A LOT of air moves into and out of the engine compartment through the grill opening at speed. I believe the even bigger pick up with the sealed hood scoop was a combination of a shorter, more direct path to the carb and the air being forced downward, and a cooler charge of air given it was coming in through a much higher opening, never coming in contact with the underhood heat at any point. Whichever you believe is the correct answer, the FACT is, it works!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7