master
S

On the south side of Nowhere
It's a TALL order for sure but, those S/S heads have to meet
a runner volume spec and 2.08" intake valves. Engine is probably
less than 10.5:1 and limited to an OEM carburetor. That leaves
some room for upgrades.

CID, heads, compression and carburetor.

He said he wanted to go fast with factory heads, not that he was broke.

Re: big block with factory heads how fast can i go? [Re: Al_Alguire] #205568
01/31/09 10:32 PM
01/31/09 10:32 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Al, i thought the motor in that Duster had stage V heads on it.

as for Don Little.....i'm not sure if those 9.70's were "actual" ET's, or atltitude corrected ET's.

i dont see 320-ish type flow numbers happening from OE heads without some type of welding/epoxy/port relocation.
i saw pictures of those Landy heads Hustlestuff was referring do.
VERY extensively modified.
the intake ports on those heads were reconfigured in much the same way as the Moparts Enginemasters Stage VI heads were(or rather.....the Moparts heads were reconfigured along the lines of those Landy Stage IV's).

however, i do think you could get 700hp from ported OE heads on a high effort build.
OE heads making that kind of power would certainly be rather fragile.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: big block with factory heads how fast can i go? [Re: fast68plymouth] #205569
01/31/09 10:49 PM
01/31/09 10:49 PM
sc
T
tjmarcus1 Offline
top fuel
tjmarcus1  Offline
top fuel
T

sc
Quote:

Al, i thought the motor in that Duster had stage V heads on it.

as for Don Little.....i'm not sure if those 9.70's were "actual" ET's, or atltitude corrected ET's.

i dont see 320-ish type flow numbers happening from OE heads without some type of welding/epoxy/port relocation.
i saw pictures of those Landy heads Hustlestuff was referring do.
VERY extensively modified.
the intake ports on those heads were reconfigured in much the same way as the Moparts Enginemasters Stage VI heads were(or rather.....the Moparts heads were reconfigured along the lines of those Landy Stage IV's).

however, i do think you could get 700hp from ported OE heads on a high effort build.
OE heads making that kind of power would certainly be rather fragile.

couldn't have said it better myself. you would have to be VERY adept at repairing cast iron.

Re: big block with factory heads how fast can i go? [Re: fast68plymouth] #205570
01/31/09 11:35 PM
01/31/09 11:35 PM
Manassas, VA USA
Scamp451 Offline
mopar
Scamp451  Offline
mopar

Manassas, VA USA
Do you think the Chevy guys are being honest and telling you what they have? Doubtful.

Maybe I am oversimplifying, but if it were me I would be talking to someone about something like a 500" with a set of cheapo CNC ported 440 source heads and a mechanical roller. Any brand X person will not know the difference from a factory head, especially painted, unless you are subject to tear down at the track? You could keep the roating assembly pretty light and the weight loss of the heads is taken off where it needs to be. Plus with the aluminum, you may be able to get away with some more compression depending on what fuel you want to burn. I honestly don't know the full potential of the stealth heads, but for the price of these things you would probably get you a lot farther than the iron since nothing really seems to come flawless from the factory anyway.

Based on the pictures I have seen, there appears to be enough material to carve something decent. Not endorsing the source never used their stuff, but for the price I would give it a shot having someone reputable do the work.

I had this conversation with my dad this morning when he talked about buying a set of iron heads from Aerohead. Off the top of my head I can't think of any reason to ever buy another set of steel heads except for maybe a pulling truck.

But if you are dead set on doing a steel headed 440 for bragging rights and piece of mind, then I wish you the best!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3