Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is there a "formula" for spring rate F/R for best Handling? [Re: cataclysm80] #2298746
05/04/17 10:11 AM
05/04/17 10:11 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Originally Posted By cataclysm80

OK, I have another question about one of the formulas.
"Front Roll Couple = (Torsion bar wheel rate * 2) + front sway bar wheel rate"

I see that it's torsion bar wheel rate times 2.
I imagine that's because there are two torsion bars & two wheels.
That makes sense.

I see that it's front sway bar wheel rate.
That's the sway bar rate for a single front wheel.

Since there are two front wheels, should it be front sway bar wheel rate times 2?

Front Sway Bar wheel rate Opt 2 = sway bar rate * (Motion Ratio^2)
Leaf spring wheel rate = (listed rate) * (Motion Ratio^2) * 2

These two formulas are both supposed to determine the wheel rate.
They both have spring rate times motion ratio squared.
Yet one of the formulas has a x2, and the other doesn't.
Why aren't these formulas the same if they're doing the same thing?

It seems like the *2 at the end of the Leaf Spring Wheel Rate Formula shouldn't be there.

Using 70 B body as an example, distance between leaf spring perches is 44 inches, divided by track width of 59.2 inches = .7432432 motion ratio.
that motion ratio squared is .5524104
multiplied by a 160 pound spring rate = 88.38566
then when you multiply that by 2, you get 176.77132
It seems odd that the wheel rate would be higher than the spring rate.

Re: Is there a "formula" for spring rate F/R for best Handling? [Re: cataclysm80] #2299032
05/04/17 05:42 PM
05/04/17 05:42 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country

OK, I have another question about one of the formulas.
"Front Roll Couple = (Torsion bar wheel rate * 2) + front sway bar wheel rate"

I see that it's torsion bar wheel rate times 2.
I imagine that's because there are two torsion bars & two wheels.
That makes sense.

I see that it's front sway bar wheel rate.
That's the sway bar rate for a single front wheel.

Since there are two front wheels, should it be front sway bar wheel rate times 2?

Front Sway Bar wheel rate Opt 2 = sway bar rate * (Motion Ratio^2)
Leaf spring wheel rate = (listed rate) * (Motion Ratio^2) * 2

These two formulas are both supposed to determine the wheel rate.
They both have spring rate times motion ratio squared.
Yet one of the formulas has a x2, and the other doesn't.
Why aren't these formulas the same if they're doing the same thing?

It seems like the *2 at the end of the Leaf Spring Wheel Rate Formula shouldn't be there.

Using 70 B body as an example, distance between leaf spring perches is 44 inches, divided by track width of 59.2 inches = .7432432 motion ratio.

Couple things going on here.

First quote; No, you would not double the sway bar rate calculations because the sway bar works over its whole length. The sway bar interacts between both wheels so its motion ratio calculated rate will link the two wheels. Its not isolated to a single wheel.

Second quote; Yes, they are both calculating wheel rate, but they are two different components, so the rate is achieved in different calculations. In this case, the spring must be doubled, because the original formula was to determine total roll couple, not isolated spring rate. Since you clipped it out of context of the rest of the formulas, the *2 appears to double the spring rate for a single spring. Rather it is doubling the spring rate in the overall picture of the whole rear roll rate of two springs and a single anti-roll bar. So, you have 176.77# for the two leaf spring rates. You now need motion ratio adjusted sway bar rates to know the total rear roll couple rate.

Re: Is there a "formula" for spring rate F/R for best Handling? [Re: TC@HP2] #2299355
05/05/17 04:16 AM
05/05/17 04:16 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Originally Posted By TC@HP2

First quote; No, you would not double the sway bar rate calculations because the sway bar works over its whole length. The sway bar interacts between both wheels so its motion ratio calculated rate will link the two wheels. Its not isolated to a single wheel.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
I wasn't sure, and thought I'd ask.

Your comments here and in other threads have been extremely helpful towards my understanding of this stuff.
I really appreciate it, THANK YOU!

Re: Is there a "formula" for spring rate F/R for best Handling? [Re: TC@HP2] #2299356
05/05/17 04:48 AM
05/05/17 04:48 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida

Originally Posted By TC@HP2

In this case, the spring must be doubled, because the original formula was to determine total roll couple, not isolated spring rate. Since you clipped it out of context of the rest of the formulas, the *2 appears to double the spring rate for a single spring. Rather it is doubling the spring rate in the overall picture of the whole rear roll rate of two springs and a single anti-roll bar. So, you have 176.77# for the two leaf spring rates. You now need motion ratio adjusted sway bar rates to know the total rear roll couple rate.

I'm pretty sure that I understand what you're saying. smile

Just to be clear though (which may also help anyone else reading along), Here is the Rear Roll Couple formula as it was presented above.

Originally Posted By Uhcoog1

Rear Roll Couple = (Leaf Spring wheel rate * 2) + rear sway bar wheel rate

It makes perfect sense. There are two leaf springs, so you multiply the spring rate by 2.
I'm not using a rear sway bar on the car (yet), so I don't have to worry about that part of the formula.
I do need to calculate a leaf spring wheel rate though, so I look for the formula, and it's presented as...

Originally Posted By Uhcoog1

Leaf spring wheel rate = (listed rate) * ((leaf spring width / track width)^2) * 2

I recognize that the middle portion "(leaf spring width / track width)" is the motion ratio of the leaf springs.

I believe you're saying that the "Leaf Spring Wheel Rate" formula should Not include the "*2" on the end.

Also, that the leaf spring wheel rate does get multiplied by 2 in the "Rear Roll Couple" formula.

And that multiplying the leaf spring wheel rate by 2 in Both formulas (as it's shown) would result in an incorrect answer.

Re: Is there a "formula" for spring rate F/R for best Handling? [Re: cataclysm80] #2299497
05/05/17 12:58 PM
05/05/17 12:58 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
You've got it!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3