11/02/15 05:15 PM
11/02/15 05:15 PM
Raleigh, NC
Y
Youngblood Offline OP
Youngblood  Offline OP
Y

Raleigh, NC
Just got a '69 Newport convertible in, the guy wants A/C, engine rebuild, and complete rewire. Car had air originally, but has been disconnected for too many years to think about fixing. Car is not being done "correct/numbers matching" so I figure Vintage air is best bet. Anyone ever put one in a C body? What size, what controls?
I tried using the "search" but it just lists every single post in the archive.
Thanks!

Re: Vintage Air in a C body [Re: Youngblood] #1943794
11/02/15 05:23 PM
11/02/15 05:23 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

I am not sure they have a perfect fit type system for c-bodies.
I am also not sure it is worth it.
I put the classic auto air hot rod system in my 65 coronet. using the motorized servo's instead of the vacuum pot type.

with the top up and windows up it barely keeps me from sweating in the 100 degree tx summers. not what you would call cold ever.

The under dash boxes from both vintage and classic just don't move enough air.

Classic was restoring the old boxes at some point. if they are still doing that, I would go that route with a new sanden compressor under the hood, using one of their kits for that.
but I wouldn't use one of the new under dash boxes if I could help it.

Re: Vintage Air in a C body [Re: Andrewh] #1943846
11/02/15 06:40 PM
11/02/15 06:40 PM
Raleigh, NC
Y
Youngblood Offline OP
Youngblood  Offline OP
Y

Raleigh, NC
I have used Classic, Vintage, Old Air, and defunct HotRod air. In my opinion, Vintage is the best of them. Now, I do feel they are not as good as OE but parts for these are rare. The major problem with all of these aftermarket A/C setups is that the water valves don't function well enough and hot water continues to run inside the box. We have just started installing a ball valve in the heater lines to positively stop hot water from getting in the vehicle. It works, we have all black, Big block powered cars running A/C in Carolina heat.
As far as Classic doing resto work, Never again for me! I had a super rare 1960 chevy Impala in years ago, and sent them the A/C stuff for there "professional, meticulous factory restoration" I was told how the lines would be cut open, and tig welded for perfect factory appearance. After about 8 months, I got back some universal crimp-on hoses. Absolutelty disgusted with that outfit. Ruined the car as far as correct parts. Factory air on that car is so hard to find.
Pretty much Vintage air or nothing nowadays. Thanks for the input, just lookin to see if anyone had done a C-body

Re: Vintage Air in a C body [Re: Youngblood] #1943873
11/02/15 07:24 PM
11/02/15 07:24 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

that valve thing is actually pretty funny.
it is a 4 seasons valve inside the box.
I too had an issue where I was getting warm air after the car warmed up.
they said I had the lines routed wrong.
it needed the initial pressure loss from going through the heater core to allow it to seal.
routing it through the heater core first fixed it.

I replaced the valve with a new one a month ago, thinking it was sticky but turns out the electric motor can't hack it anymore.

Last edited by Andrewh; 11/02/15 07:25 PM.