L
Lil Demon Offline
master
Lil Demon  Offline
master
L

Riverside, California
Quote:

IMHO, that pedal pump would really suck when bracket racing. When approaching the line I need my brakes ready for action and I want to know where the pedal is. If I have to remember to pump the pedal during the run it's just another way to screw up. Is there any way to minimize the retraction?
Saving weight is great, but the lighter the brakes are the quicker they'll heat up and the sooner they'll fade. There's definitely a trade-off there.

"The reason for the increased pedal travel on the first pump is because they use piston retractors. Some folks are not real comfortable with the pedal travel and I inform all before I suggest them. Some folks just dont like the feel on the first pump and cant get past that."

You do not have to pump the brakes to slow/stop the car, only to get the full 1100# of braking pressure. When I drive the stripe, I do not pump it and it will nose dive the car in a hurry.

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Lil Demon] #193911
01/17/09 02:23 AM
01/17/09 02:23 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
I have the aerospace ones on my dart also. Persoanally i hate the pedal pump and because of this will never use them again. I would gladly give up the tiny bit of rolling resistance for piece of mind. Plus i don't like the raw aluminum because on the street they get scurvy looking. I have wilwoods on my outlaw car for all of these reasons. (just giving my opinion)

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: bigtimeauto] #193912
01/17/09 03:02 AM
01/17/09 03:02 AM
Riverside, Ca
G
G_bob Offline
master
G_bob  Offline
master
G

Riverside, Ca
My coronet has aerospace on all for corners and I've never noticed the "pedal pump".

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: G_bob] #193913
01/17/09 03:17 AM
01/17/09 03:17 AM
SO CAL
B
BB70DUSTER Offline OP
master
BB70DUSTER  Offline OP
master
B

SO CAL
Quote:

My coronet has aerospace on all for corners and I've never noticed the "pedal pump".

Hi Glenn, how ya been?

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: BB70DUSTER] #193914
01/17/09 03:27 AM
01/17/09 03:27 AM
IN
Irun5snd8th Offline
master
Irun5snd8th  Offline
master

IN
With the aerospace I do not pump going down the track and I assure you I can silence the engine at 130mph!!

AFCO, Rons Fuel Injection sponsored Dodge Challenger Mention Street Lethal Motorsports
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Irun5snd8th] #193915
01/17/09 03:44 AM
01/17/09 03:44 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Quote:

With the aerospace I do not pump going down the track and I assure you I can silence the engine at 130mph!!

Been my experience as well..Some folks are just not comfortable with the amount of pedal travel on the first pump, BUT IT WILL STOP THE CAR..

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Lil Demon] #193916
01/17/09 11:27 AM
01/17/09 11:27 AM
Coronado, CA
G
go-fish Offline
mopar
go-fish  Offline
mopar
G

Coronado, CA
Quote:

Quote:

No worries, My shoe box nova had aerospace, (I didnt like the pedal travel issue, although I understood it) But they worked great, but the stock junk worked great too... Guess my point of the post wasnt saying how great wilwwods are or arent, It was the fact that for $300 (bought them new at spring fling last year) I lost 40 LBS! Its crazy people spend so much $$$ to loose so little weight... Guess I never realized how heavy the stock stuff was...
So lil Demon, isnt the weight difference because they are all non vented rotors? just curious, being that the car is regularly street driven...

I must have missed the vented rotor bit. Yes - the weight savings would be identical on the front street kits. The AC street rears are still a touch lighter than WW, but I believe only a pound or so.

BTW - I really did not mean to come across as bashing you. You got a good product at a great price and that is never a bad thing.

You and Al Alguiere must be trying to lose potential customers for Aerospace.

This fella comes on here in elation that he got a good deal, saved some weight, and improved his brakes from what he had before.

Instead chalking it up as "Lost another one to DiTech" you sarcastically imply that he made a mistake because he didn't spend money with you.

One thing I have learned in my career is it doesn't matter if you are wrong, right, or the other guy is an idiot. It matters not the intent of your words but the how those words are PERCIEVED.

I would gues that most that have viewed the post to give the OP an "at' a boy" and read your post percieved your posts as maybe a little jealous that he didn't call you. Maybe it was just that you passionately feel your brakes are better but after someone buys another product you're not going make him want to take his new brakes off, sell them, and buy a product from you to save a minimal amount of weight.

There are some vendors on here that would be happy no matter what product a guy used as long as he was happy and just continue to contribute to Moparts and try to get business from folks who are still in the market for your product.

I don't know if it is the economy that is making vendors across the country hungry but I hope the Perception of high pressure salesmen doesn't become a norm.

lil Demon, you can't get mad all day long at my post but remember, it is how others percieved your first posts. It doesn't matter even if most people understood you it doesn't matter. What if 1 potential customer read you wrong (or right.

Just be happy for the guy. It shouldn't take 2 pages of discussion about who's product is better to congratulate him on his good deal he got.

70 'cuda: ProCharged 408, Tremec 5 speed, S60,triangulated 4 link, Hydroboost and Wilwoods
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: go-fish] #193917
01/17/09 12:06 PM
01/17/09 12:06 PM
WA 98043
thecarfarmer Offline
super stock
thecarfarmer  Offline
super stock

WA 98043
40 pounds divided by $30.00 = $7.50/lb. That's unsprung weight, off the front of the car, no less.

Pimp move!

-bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Al_Alguire] #193918
01/17/09 12:11 PM
01/17/09 12:11 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I did?!? My first response and subsequent ones were about the comments on brake drag that someone else brought up. I was only trying to set the record straight about the comments made as pertaining to drag. I thought I also stated that I have installed many aftermarket brake kits and we put on a number of Wilwood kits, in fact the last one I installed was a Wilwood kit on an Escalade.

The economy has nothing to do with it. I see erroneous information on here all the time and usually just bite my tongue, as the info usually gets corrected eventually. SO I take the time to respond to try and let folks know the correct info and you bash me for doing it? I have been around here since the beginning, used to be folks could read info on here and not try to attach a hidden meaning to the post. Anymore it seems if someone tries to inject any TECHNICAL info on here they are seen as bashing. No wonder the amount of real hard core tech stuff has diminished so much over the years. I do agree that on occasion vendors do pimp their stuff a bit more than maybe they should but not my call on that. Just do my best to try and ad correct info on here when I can. Maybe I need a long break from this place as well....

I dont care who they come from as I dont sell any kits. I only install them, mostly on Mustangs, Imports and Trucks as they are my customer base. As far as recommending them, yes I recommend Aerospace stuff alot, but we also suggest Wilwood, Baer and SSBC, and Ford Motorsports depending on the application.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Al_Alguire] #193919
01/17/09 12:40 PM
01/17/09 12:40 PM
Coronado, CA
G
go-fish Offline
mopar
go-fish  Offline
mopar
G

Coronado, CA
Quote:

I did?!? My first response and subsequent ones were about the comments on brake drag that someone else brought up. I was only trying to set the record straight about the comments made as pertaining to drag. I thought I also stated that I have installed many aftermarket brake kits and we put on a number of Wilwood kits, in fact the last one I installed was a Wilwood kit on an Escalade.

The economy has nothing to do with it. I see erroneous information on here all the time and usually just bite my tongue, as the info usually gets corrected eventually. SO I take the time to respond to try and let folks know the correct info and you bash me for doing it? I have been around here since the beginning, used to be folks could read info on here and not try to attach a hidden meaning to the post. Anymore it seems if someone tries to inject any TECHNICAL info on here they are seen as bashing. No wonder the amount of real hard core tech stuff has diminished so much over the years. I do agree that on occasion vendors do pimp their stuff a bit more than maybe they should but not my call on that. Just do my best to try and ad correct info on here when I can. Maybe I need a long break from this place as well....

I dont care who they come from as I dont sell any kits. I only install them, mostly on Mustangs, Imports and Trucks as they are my customer base. As far as recommending them, yes I recommend Aerospace stuff alot, but we also suggest Wilwood, Baer and SSBC, and Ford Motorsports depending on the application.

I'm not trying to get anyones blood pressure up but just wanted to put up a note that this guy already bought a product. After the fact salesman-ship doesn't do anybody any good.
What I saw was on the verge of telling this guy his stuff was inferior and he shouldn't have bought it.
Whether that was the intent or not it was sounding like it was implied.
It would be more beneficial to say, "Great buy, if you're ever in the market for something else, remember Aerospace".
Instead in true Moparts fashion, this congratulatory thread gets turned into a debate of "he bought junk, it's heavier by 3.7 lbs, you have to keep them clean,..... Shoulda bought product X."

In the end, better than stock, good deal, and they look good.

70 'cuda: ProCharged 408, Tremec 5 speed, S60,triangulated 4 link, Hydroboost and Wilwoods
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: thecarfarmer] #193920
01/17/09 01:05 PM
01/17/09 01:05 PM
SO CAL
B
BB70DUSTER Offline OP
master
BB70DUSTER  Offline OP
master
B

SO CAL
Quote:

40 pounds divided by $300.00 = $7.50/lb. That's unsprung weight, off the front of the car, no less.

Pimp move!

-bill

This was my point of the post... Thank you...

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: go-fish] #193921
01/17/09 01:43 PM
01/17/09 01:43 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No worries, My shoe box nova had aerospace, (I didnt like the pedal travel issue, although I understood it) But they worked great, but the stock junk worked great too... Guess my point of the post wasnt saying how great wilwwods are or arent, It was the fact that for $300 (bought them new at spring fling last year) I lost 40 LBS! Its crazy people spend so much $$$ to loose so little weight... Guess I never realized how heavy the stock stuff was...
So lil Demon, isnt the weight difference because they are all non vented rotors? just curious, being that the car is regularly street driven...

I must have missed the vented rotor bit. Yes - the weight savings would be identical on the front street kits. The AC street rears are still a touch lighter than WW, but I believe only a pound or so.

BTW - I really did not mean to come across as bashing you. You got a good product at a great price and that is never a bad thing.

You and Al Alguiere must be trying to lose potential customers for Aerospace.

This fella comes on here in elation that he got a good deal, saved some weight, and improved his brakes from what he had before.

Instead chalking it up as "Lost another one to DiTech" you sarcastically imply that he made a mistake because he didn't spend money with you.

One thing I have learned in my career is it doesn't matter if you are wrong, right, or the other guy is an idiot. It matters not the intent of your words but the how those words are PERCIEVED.

I would gues that most that have viewed the post to give the OP an "at' a boy" and read your post percieved your posts as maybe a little jealous that he didn't call you. Maybe it was just that you passionately feel your brakes are better but after someone buys another product you're not going make him want to take his new brakes off, sell them, and buy a product from you to save a minimal amount of weight.

There are some vendors on here that would be happy no matter what product a guy used as long as he was happy and just continue to contribute to Moparts and try to get business from folks who are still in the market for your product.

I don't know if it is the economy that is making vendors across the country hungry but I hope the Perception of high pressure salesmen doesn't become a norm.

lil Demon, you can't get mad all day long at my post but remember, it is how others percieved your first posts. It doesn't matter even if most people understood you it doesn't matter. What if 1 potential customer read you wrong (or right.

Just be happy for the guy. It shouldn't take 2 pages of discussion about who's product is better to congratulate him on his good deal he got.

I don't see it like that at all. I don't think lildemon nor Al did anything wrong. they simply stated their case and what they believe. both sides of any topic should be talked about even if it doesn't help the original poster. people are smart enough to look at both sides and decide for them selves.

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: BB70DUSTER] #193922
01/17/09 02:14 PM
01/17/09 02:14 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I love my WILWOODS and am on the same original set of pads after 8+ years..........they drag a little but not enuff to worry about in my opinion. Both products are good so wadda ya say we have a cold and call it good.

4954180-domtrack.jpg (17 downloads)

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Thumperdart] #193923
01/17/09 02:57 PM
01/17/09 02:57 PM
NJ central
S
Scamp408 Offline
master
Scamp408  Offline
master
S

NJ central
Why dont we make a list of pros and con of both products and put it in the tech archive.I am interested in new frt brks but I am so confused now. piston retractors,paint /non paint,dust seal/non dust seal ,pedal pump ugg.

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Scamp408] #193924
01/17/09 03:18 PM
01/17/09 03:18 PM
SO CAL
B
BB70DUSTER Offline OP
master
BB70DUSTER  Offline OP
master
B

SO CAL
Quote:

Why dont we make a list of pros and con of both products and put it in the tech archive.I am interested in new frt brks but I am so confused now. piston retractors,paint /non paint,dust seal/non dust seal ,pedal pump ugg.

Im Completely satisfied with everything about my Wilwoods... used Wilwoods for years without problems... and I got them cheap... Ive used Aerospace as well they were good too...

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: BB70DUSTER] #193925
01/17/09 03:21 PM
01/17/09 03:21 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
sounds like a real good way of loosing weight of the front of the car and for a reasonable price also

two questions
are they any better att acutaly stoping the car?`

how about replacement pads for these brakes are they the same spec as some kind of stock pads to make it easy to get replacement when needed?
just trying to learn alitle

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: 1Fast340] #193926
01/17/09 04:05 PM
01/17/09 04:05 PM
SO CAL
B
BB70DUSTER Offline OP
master
BB70DUSTER  Offline OP
master
B

SO CAL
Quote:

sounds like a real good way of loosing weight of the front of the car and for a reasonable price also

two questions
are they any better att acutaly stoping the car?`

how about replacement pads for these brakes are they the same spec as some kind of stock pads to make it easy to get replacement when needed?
just trying to learn alitle

The addition of the rears made it stop better... fronts didnt seem to make a difference... Pads are same front to rear, and are Wilwood specific, but easy to get from summit or any speed shop...

Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: BB70DUSTER] #193927
01/18/09 02:50 AM
01/18/09 02:50 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Chris2581 Offline
master
Chris2581  Offline
master

Jacksonville, FL
I had the stock 10" drum brakes on the front.On one of the short 1/8th mile tracks,I had a hell of a time stopping,and at Gainesville,I was standing on the brakes to make the 1st turn off.With the Wilwoods,I have no problems stopping the car,so they made a big difference in stopping power.

Nautilus Racing-
We use Superformance gaskets and Turbo Action converters/products.
Re: 40 lbs. off the front of my car!!! [Re: Chris2581] #193928
01/18/09 10:40 AM
01/18/09 10:40 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
My Dart has Wilwoods with the internal parking brake on the rear and a set of factory 73 disk on hte front. My car stops great, it feel like it sits down when I am hard on the brakes.

I think instead of spending $700 on brakes. I'll spend it on a billet steel drum for my 727 and keep my feet and toes the way they came from the factory .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3