Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MoparforLife] #193333
01/17/09 10:45 AM
01/17/09 10:45 AM
Illinois
Mopar_Ray Offline
mopar
Mopar_Ray  Offline
mopar

Illinois
Still haven't figured out what the problem is with doing it the simple way (running the alternator off the battery side of switch). I know the alternator wire will be hot all the time, but what problems could that cause?

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: Mopar_Ray] #193334
01/17/09 11:14 AM
01/17/09 11:14 AM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
OK, I've got a silly question. Why does moving the battery to the trunk position necessitate having a cut-off switch?

I can see that having a switch to shut off power is a good safety idea. So wouldn't it also be a good idea with the battery under the hood?

What is it about moving the battery back that makes it a rule to have the cutoff switch?

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: 67Satty] #193335
01/17/09 11:32 AM
01/17/09 11:32 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

OK, I've got a silly question. Why does moving the battery to the trunk position necessitate having a cut-off switch?

I can see that having a switch to shut off power is a good safety idea. So wouldn't it also be a good idea with the battery under the hood?

What is it about moving the battery back that makes it a rule to have the cutoff switch?

NHRA/IHRA rule. The factory doesnt see the need for
a master switch(cost and stupid people)they would
forget its there, plus now days alot of stuff is still
on the battery.. even when the ignition is off

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MR_P_BODY] #193336
01/17/09 12:15 PM
01/17/09 12:15 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

Quote:

NHRA/IHRA rule. The factory doesnt see the need for
a master switch(cost and stupid people)they would
forget its there, plus now days alot of stuff is still
on the battery.. even when the ignition is off

I always figured it was a combination of:
1) By moving the batt to the trunk its not THAT difficult to require the switch while your at it and...
2) Most cars that reach this level of modification are now running an electric fuel pump, and thats the primarly goal of the switch--to stop fuel flow in the event of an accident, even though the motor may have already stopped.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MR_P_BODY] #193337
01/17/09 12:17 PM
01/17/09 12:17 PM
KENTUCKY
69CHARGERMD Offline
master
69CHARGERMD  Offline
master

KENTUCKY
Quote:

Funny how confusing and difficult some people can make something so easy

Whatever...........some of "us" need a bit of assistance..

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: 69CHARGERMD] #193338
01/17/09 01:03 PM
01/17/09 01:03 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
You sure make your wiring complicated

My setup is Battery positive to cutoff switch, other side of cutoff switch to starter terminal stud with a jumper wire from the staerer terminal stud to the starter relay to where the battery power is normmaly connected.

Obviously throwing the switch will not kill the engine, so my one wire solution was wiring an ignition kill circuit that goes from the ignition to ground through a normally closed microswitch mounted to the battery cutoff switch.

I'm not sure this is 100% NHRA approved, but it has passed tech for years.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MoparforLife] #193339
01/17/09 01:14 PM
01/17/09 01:14 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Funny how confusing and difficult some people can make something so easy.

Like Woody and I have both said. We prefer to not have any hot wires beyond the trunk.

Your way and the easier way leaves the hot to the alternator all the time... NO thanks! It might pass tech, but I prefer to be a bit safer.

My way takes one relay and one/two extra wires... I know that must be a pain and so difficult for some!

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: RobX4406] #193340
01/17/09 01:25 PM
01/17/09 01:25 PM
KENTUCKY
69CHARGERMD Offline
master
69CHARGERMD  Offline
master

KENTUCKY
Thanks Rob,,,
I am going to wire mine like your diagram,,,appreciate the help.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: 69CHARGERMD] #193341
01/17/09 01:41 PM
01/17/09 01:41 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Good luck.

For those that want to incorporate the neutral safety switch, use an Echlin st-83 jeep solenoid.

There some more difficulty for you...

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: RobX4406] #193342
01/17/09 02:17 PM
01/17/09 02:17 PM
Phoenix
J
jinxy Offline
enthusiast
jinxy  Offline
enthusiast
J

Phoenix
On my 1970 Dart the output terminal on the alternator is hot(12 volts) all the time, even with the ignition switch off. So the alternator output terminal is connected to the battery (+) all the time from the factory.

Jeff

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: RobX4406] #193343
01/17/09 02:31 PM
01/17/09 02:31 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

Like Woody and I have both said. We prefer to not have any hot wires beyond the trunk.

Your way and the easier way leaves the hot to the alternator all the time... NO thanks! It might pass tech, but I prefer to be a bit safer.

My way takes one relay and one/two extra wires... I know that must be a pain and so difficult for some!

You have hot wires beyond the trunk. No way around it if your battery is in the trunk you have wires to it. relays, solenoids or not. It is you money. Support the parts people they need money too.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MoparforLife] #193344
01/17/09 02:42 PM
01/17/09 02:42 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You have hot wires beyond the trunk. No way around it if your battery is in the trunk you have wires to it. relays, solenoids or not. It is you money. Support the parts people they need money too.

Not the way I do it you don't...

Once you throw the switch there's NOTHING hot beyond the trunk and the relays in the trunk.

I won't argue with you about this because you don't have a clue on this one.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: RobX4406] #193345
01/17/09 03:11 PM
01/17/09 03:11 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Once you throw the switch there's NOTHING hot beyond the trunk and the relays in the trunk.

The HELL I don't we were wiring relays and solenoids into circle cars probably before you were born or even thought of for that matter. Don't tell me I don't have a clue on this. Just find it a waste. Throwing the main without all the bells and whistles kills the power too so whats the biggy? Anything live is wired to the off side. (Or should be) If you want to be so dam smart better rewire everything you have there is a Hell of a lot more live wiring (even with the switch off) than on your drivers than ever on the your race cars. I don't really car what you high $$$ guys do. There seems to be an endless supply of $$$ on this board. Many must have gotten in on the stimulus funding.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MoparforLife] #193346
01/17/09 03:22 PM
01/17/09 03:22 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The HELL I don't we were wiring relays and solenoids into circle cars probably before you were born or even thought of for that matter. Don't tell me I don't have a clue on this. Just find it a waste. If you want to be so dam smart better rewire everything you have there is a Hell of a lot more live wiring (even with the switch off) than on your drivers than ever on the your race cars. I don't really car what you high $$$ guys do. There seems to be an endless supply of $$$ on this board. Many must have gotten in on the stimulus funding.

High dollar... 30-50 bucks. Yep that it's.

I don't care if you are old enough to have invented the wheel. Maybe you handcranked your first car?. No surprise some of the guy I know on this board, think what they do about you.

You don't know what you're talking about. When you throw the cutoff on my cars nothing is live outside the trunk and it's maybe a 2x3 area at that.

It's called alternatives. I take it you haven't thought about a constant hot wire to an alternator and a bad fuel leak. Been in a fire because of that smart guy?

You know everything so take that genius!

I'm done.

Another to ignore... congrats

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MoparforLife] #193347
01/17/09 03:27 PM
01/17/09 03:27 PM
KY
J
juicedcuda Offline
super stock
juicedcuda  Offline
super stock
J

KY
why cant you just put the alternator wire on the side of the main kill switch going to the front of the car so that the alternator is killed when the switch is off?

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 1970 Plum Crazy "Gold Duster" 1973 Gold Duster
Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: juicedcuda] #193348
01/17/09 03:32 PM
01/17/09 03:32 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

why cant you just put the alternator wire on the side of the main kill switch going to the front of the car so that the alternator is killed when the switch is off?

If you put it on the side of the switch going to the front of the car, it won't cut off the power supply from the alternator. As long as the alternator is turning, energy is being supplied. The car will continue to run, just like when you have it running and pull the + battery terminal from a car, due to the charging system.

It has to be on the battery side of the switch.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: RobX4406] #193349
01/17/09 03:36 PM
01/17/09 03:36 PM
KY
J
juicedcuda Offline
super stock
juicedcuda  Offline
super stock
J

KY
Quote:

Quote:

If you put it on the side of the switch going to the front of the car, it won't cut off the power supply from the alternator. As long as the alternator is turning, energy is being supplied. The car will continue to run, just like when you have it running and pull the + battery terminal from a car, due to the charging system.

It has to be on the battery side of the switch.

gotcha

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 1970 Plum Crazy "Gold Duster" 1973 Gold Duster
Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: juicedcuda] #193350
01/17/09 03:42 PM
01/17/09 03:42 PM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Quote:

Because although that would break the path between the battery and the alternator (thus stopping the alternator being hot when everything was switched off) it means that the alternator is directly wired to the rest of the vehicle wiring - so if you switch the disconnect with the engine running the alternator will still power everything and the engine won't cut out.....

EDIT - I need to refresh more often

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: RobX4406] #193351
01/17/09 03:57 PM
01/17/09 03:57 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

I take it you haven't thought about a constant hot wire to an alternator and a bad fuel leak. Been in a fire because of that smart guy?

Oh master electrical god, it is dead with the switch in the off position when wire it to the off side of the switch so it is only connected with the switch in the on position. Ever think of that oh brilliant one.

Re: Moving Battery to trunk, do you have to have a shut [Re: MoparforLife] #193352
01/17/09 04:03 PM
01/17/09 04:03 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Quote:

I take it you haven't thought about a constant hot wire to an alternator and a bad fuel leak. Been in a fire because of that smart guy?

Oh master electrical god, it is dead with the switch in the off position when wire it to the off side of the switch so it is only connected with the switch in the on position. Ever think of that oh brilliant one.

Want to think about that for a minute...

Just want to get this up so you can't change what you wrote.

That removes the other electrical source how? Battery one. Alternator the other...

Thanks for proving my point. see the post about 1-3 above...

After this doozy, maybe you should have stuck with your old handle!

You're on ignore now, so have fun.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5