DCI Offline
super stock
DCI  Offline
super stock
D

Charlotte NC
Quote:

Quote:

Not trying to change the thread but I wonder how many cars McCandless Performance built? There is a local guy that has a Cuda that I know for sure hasn't been down the track in 25+ years that was built by McCandless.

Here is the car, talking to the owner, McCandless built the car around '73 or '74. This was a original '71 340 Cuda with auto and he changed it to a '72 with 7000 miles on it. The car hasn't left his yard since since about 1980 or so and he has added a few additions to the shop. All the pics. you see are from his garage and I didn't cover it all! I just wanted to buy the McCandless floor mat! http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding...w_photos_button
Sorry for the bad pics., but there was very little walking room around the car trying to take a pic..

What was the deal with the gold slant 6?

"Turbo will be easiest, and at the HP level will also be easiest on parts. Spend the money to do it right, and you can build a 500 HP street motor that will live a long and happy life, and probably with a very basic short block." Those words must have left a bad taste in his mouth!
Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: Darrell] #190204
02/11/09 04:42 AM
02/11/09 04:42 AM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline OP
master
sixpakdodge  Offline OP
master
S

Yes
Quote:

Quote:

Not trying to change the thread but I wonder how many cars McCandless Performance built? There is a local guy that has a Cuda that I know for sure hasn't been down the track in 25+ years that was built by McCandless.

Here is the car, talking to the owner, McCandless built the car around '73 or '74. This was a original '71 340 Cuda with auto and he changed it to a '72 with about 7000 miles on it. It ran in the 10.30-40 zone with a a 340 W-2 motor which was probley pretty good for that era bracket racing. The car hasn't left his yard since since about 1980 or so and he has added a few additions to the shop. All the pics. you see are from his garage and I didn't cover it all! I just wanted to buy the McCandless floor mat! http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding...w_photos_button
Sorry for the bad pics., but there was very little walking room around the car trying to take a pic.. I would like to see the car broken out of its Tomb and raced again but that ain't happening!

WOW! That paint job looks awfully familiar...

That's how Max had mine painted in 1982-3ish.

Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: sixpakdodge] #190205
02/11/09 05:31 PM
02/11/09 05:31 PM
T
TMP66 Offline
super stock
TMP66  Offline
super stock
T

'82 U.S. Nationals

Union Grove Wis.

Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: DCI] #190206
02/11/09 08:57 PM
02/11/09 08:57 PM
Petersburg, Va
D
Darrell Offline
top fuel
Darrell  Offline
top fuel
D

Petersburg, Va
Quote:

Don't know, it was a 4 bbl. motor though. I don't know how maney of you caught it, but on page 15 behind the motors is the Winston sign that had the Omni-Horizon in it that I remember seeing years ago. This guy bought the sign new years ago.
Anyone know the deal on the car?

Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: Darrell] #190207
02/11/09 09:13 PM
02/11/09 09:13 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline OP
master
sixpakdodge  Offline OP
master
S

Yes
Quote:

Quote:

Don't know, it was a 4 bbl. motor though. I don't know how maney of you caught it, but on page 15 behind the motors is the Winston sign that had the Omni-Horizon in it that I remember seeing years ago. This guy bought the sign new years ago.

I saw the sign. It's Roy Hill's car. Roy took an Omni nose and "tried" making it look like a Plymouth nose. The car had Plymouth tail lights also.

I talked to Herb and Chick DeNinno tonight. Only about four cars actually came out of Herb's shop. They went to Mark Robinson, Max Naylor, Johnny Labbous, and another individual from the northeast who painted his car black with a red/white/blue stripe. Neither could recall his name. Possibly another car or two? Any of the other cars would have been built from Chick's shop in Maryland, Fabrication INC. These cars will all have a brass chassis tag on them.

Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: sixpakdodge] #190208
02/11/09 10:15 PM
02/11/09 10:15 PM
Petersburg, Va
D
Darrell Offline
top fuel
Darrell  Offline
top fuel
D

Petersburg, Va
Quote:

These cars will all have a brass chassis tag on them.

Yep, my cousin had a '91 dragster with the tag.

Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: sixpakdodge] #190209
02/11/09 11:41 PM
02/11/09 11:41 PM
Melbourne, Florida
Florida_70Bee Offline
super stock
Florida_70Bee  Offline
super stock

Melbourne, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I saw the sign. It's Roy Hill's car. Roy took an Omni nose and "tried" making it look like a Plymouth nose. The car had Plymouth tail lights also.

I talked to Herb and Chick DeNinno tonight. Only about four cars actually came out of Herb's shop. They went to Mark Robinson, Max Naylor, Johnny Labbous, and another individual from the northeast who painted his car black with a red/white/blue stripe. Neither could recall his name. Possibly another car or two? Any of the other cars would have been built from Chick's shop in Maryland, Fabrication INC. These cars will all have a brass chassis tag on them.

I worked at Maryland Performance Center/ Fabrications Inc. from 1988 to 1990 and Chick Dennino was one of my bosses. The Fabrications cars did indeed have a Brass Fabrications Inc. tag on them with the month and year of construction as I recall. The one Omni I remember that Chick had built during my time there was Richard Higley's Big Blue express Omni which was driven by Charlie Brandenburg. That car was totaled in a top end accident and the car was stripped to the chassis and hung (Yes I said hung!) on the wall at Fabrications Inc. I have no idea what happed to the chassis after Chick closed down Fabrications many years later.

Here is a picture of the Omni shortly before it's demise..

5019151-f.jpg (200 downloads)
Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: Florida_70Bee] #190210
02/11/09 11:51 PM
02/11/09 11:51 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline OP
master
sixpakdodge  Offline OP
master
S

Yes
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I worked at Maryland Performance Center/ Fabrications Inc. from 1988 to 1990 and Chick Dennino was one of my bosses. The Fabrications cars did indeed have a Brass Fabrications Inc. tag on them with the month and year of construction as I recall. The one Omni I remember that Chick had built during my time there was Richard Higley's Big Blue express Omni which was driven by Charlie Brandenburg. That car was totaled in a top end accident and the car was stripped to the chassis and hung (Yes I said hung!) on the wall at Farications Inc. I have no idea what happed to the chassis after Chick closed down Fabrications many years later.

Here is a picture of the Omni shortly before it's demise..

Chick and I discussed this car. He fixed the chassis and Max Naylor bought it and reskinned it with another Omni body. He doesn't know what Max did with it.

Re: McCandless Performance Omnis...Where Are They Now? [Re: sixpakdodge] #190211
02/13/09 03:03 PM
02/13/09 03:03 PM
M
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock
McCandlessboy  Offline
super stock
M

I was at the Hemi Reunion and rode dad over to see the omni in the original post. It was a VERY clean car. A very proud kid was piloting the car and keeping it spotless between passes. Dad was very impressed with the young man's ambition. Hope he's still driving the car.

Page 2 of 2 1 2