cudaman1969 Online sleepy
master
cudaman1969  Online Sleepy
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By B G Racing
Having drag raced my entire life,we have seen a lot of changes in the sport,some good and some not so good.We have seen the the best of times and the worst of times in our sport.We respect everyone's thoughts and opinions and have a few of our own.To be able to share those thoughts and opinions on an open forum gives eveyone an opportunity to wade through the comments and decide what has substance and what is bowl shtz.One does not have to be a racer to have an opinion,they just have to have an interest in our sport.
Our thoughts as to the short comming and possible down fall of the sport is the greed we see from track and event owners and managers.They seem to want to pocket the profits and not reinvest in the sport.Many racers feel their class or type of racing is the utmost of importance,their incorrect for the sport to survive all types of classes,dragracing,fans and enthusast must find a reason for their interest.
Too much time is spent being arguing or debating personal remarks,we should all be trying to find and share solutions to save our sport. up
That's not the case around here Bob. After the BIG bracket race boom, everybody around here got used to running for 5k purses all the time with low entry fees. Now it's not "worth" it for them to race for small money and they sure won't pay more entry fees and the bleachers are like a ghost town......so where do they expect the track to get the money to pay those big purses?.......Most all tracks around here have gone to strictly TnT with the occasional heads up races and MAYBE a bracket race once a month or less. It was that or close the gates

I think the racers did it to themselves, putting 20-50 thousand dollars in a car(wannabe pro stockers) then justifying running for 500 to 1000 dollars to win. I remember how much fun we had with our cars that maybe had two grand in them. With slow cars the ride last longer, more time to enjoy the noise, smell the tire smoke and feel the rush. Fast ETs are just bragging rights.

Re: Street Outlaws episode last night [Re: Monte_Smith] #1886343
08/06/15 04:34 PM
08/06/15 04:34 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By 72Swinger
I really hope he makes a speedy recovery. Honestly though was ANYTHING in that thing bolted down? I wouldnt want a bucket of bolts like that next to me in a race, I hope ALL them boys learn from this, I can see a seat breaking but not breaking away from the f&****g car, and that seat belt tab AND the nitrous bottle projectile was unacceptable.
You don't know what you are talking about. Just because you have welded up a few bars in some cars, don't mean squat. That was a VERY violent barrel roll. Things break loose in those instances. Happens all the time. The cage held up, THAT is what counts. Nitrous bottle mounts are NOT built like a tank. They are generally light and minimal. I have seen bottles come out of Pro-Nitrous cars, built by Bickel, Haas and others. Also seats in most of these cars are held in with Dzus fasteners, because you want the belts to hold the seat and driver in place. Guess you wouldn't ride in one of those "bucket of bolts" either. Unfortunate situation and has me looking at "wrap around" belts for our car, as pulling a single tab out of a piece of chromoly can happen in a serious crash......as seen here.

I don't think that I have ever disagreed with you, Monte, but I saw some things that should not have happened in an 80 MPH barrel roll. If he was running through the lights at 240 then all bets are off but crashing after 1 second full throttle and having safety equipment fail like that would be unacceptable for me.

Re: Street Outlaws episode last night [Re: Porter67] #1886366
08/06/15 05:39 PM
08/06/15 05:39 PM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted By Porter67
Back on topic, I like the show more then for anything because of the street racing aspect. Yes scripted and controlled but Dave still got busted up and if were on the track it might of been different.

He got busted up at Amarillo Dragway, not on the street.

Re: Street Outlaws episode last night [Re: Sammy] #1886420
08/06/15 07:22 PM
08/06/15 07:22 PM
Huntsville, AL
A
Airwoofer Offline
mopar
Airwoofer  Offline
mopar
A

Huntsville, AL
That harness attach bracket Dave had was totally bogus. That bracket weld, which IMO looked pretty bad, was pure tension in a head on wreck. It failed. Todd Bevis built my Demon with a 3/8" ID tube welded vertically through the center of the cross bar, that a 3/8 dia aircraft bolt which attaches the harness tab goes through. No way that will ever fail. The belt will cut itself in two at the tab first IMO. I like that way of attaching the shoulder straps over wrapping the belt around the cross bar.

Last edited by Airwoofer; 08/06/15 07:24 PM.
Re: Street Outlaws episode last night [Re: Airwoofer] #1886441
08/06/15 07:51 PM
08/06/15 07:51 PM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted By Airwoofer
That harness attach bracket Dave had was totally bogus. Todd Bevis built my Demon with a 3/8" ID tube welded vertically through the center of the cross bar, that a 3/8 dia aircraft bolt which attaches the harness tab goes through. No way that will ever fail. The belt will cut itself in two at the tab first IMO. I like that way of attaching the shoulder straps over wrapping the belt around the cross bar.

That's how mine is as well. Right through the tube but mine is bigger than 3/8", more like 1/2" all grade 8 hardware. A tab for a harness is ridiculous.

Re: Street Outlaws episode last night [Re: BradH] #1887295
08/08/15 02:17 AM
08/08/15 02:17 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By BradH
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
"Street Outlaws" star Daddy Dave was thumbs up during his hospital stay ... even though he can't remember why he ended up there.
Dave's wife Cassi tells us Dave is healing up pretty well after the accident ... and was released from the hospital early Monday. He'll go back home to Oklahoma to recover.
We're told he's been having problems with his short-term memory after suffering a concussion from the horrific crash. He's been told numerous times what happened, but he keeps forgetting.

No sarcasm here at all: I really hope he's got a good health insurance plan to cover this, plus the longer-term expenses that are going to come up during his recovery.

Sounds like Brad's ominous forecast may be accurate:

"Dave had a minor setback yesterday and we had to make another trip to the hospital. He was evaluated again, another ct scan and more X-rays, and released. The symptoms he was having results back to the severe concussion. We did however find that he has a grade 3 ac separation in his shoulder, which explains all the pain he has had with it. Not sure how it was missed, but he will see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. We are praying it will not require surgery. It was too soon to make the trip to see the car, he was not ready physically."

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12