07/25/15 05:26 PM
07/25/15 05:26 PM
n.e. pa.
65rbdodge Offline OP
master
65rbdodge  Offline OP
master

n.e. pa.
The time has come for me to do the wireing in my desoto. It has a steering column from an 89 Dakota. I took the complete wireing harness out of the same truck. It has so much extra bulk/plugs/wires that I'm thinking about going with a universal wireing harness. Any suggestions? I was looking at the ones made by speedway and summit. My car is just a bare bones rod with no power anything. I pretty much just need lighting and ignition. It's a 318/833.

Re: Wireing options [Re: 65rbdodge] #1878207
07/26/15 12:58 AM
07/26/15 12:58 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
I went with the Speedway 20 circuit kit. They also sell a 12 circuit kit that might better fit your needs? Wires are color coded and labeled every 6". Quality wires. Comes with a GM headlight and dimmer switch and several different adaptors for steering columns. Don't know if your is included though.

Fastest 300
Re: Wireing options [Re: 65rbdodge] #1878296
07/26/15 09:29 AM
07/26/15 09:29 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have done a couple of no option cars "one wire at a time", as well as a couple using painless kits, one with a ron francis kit, but the one that REALLY taxed my patience was a 55 chevy my one buddy has that he used a factory fuel injection set up based on a 95 corvette harness, plus a ton of electrical options. that one drove me nuts. the harness that was used was a mix of a [i don't really remember the brand name or number of curcuits] swap meet kit, plus an engine harness from "speed & performance" [ if i remember correctly ] out of mena, arkansas. those guys found out i was a real DUMMY on f.i. systems ! [my first one actually.] i learned stuff i didn't want to know ! [ i won't tell my buddy it was an honest, fun project that i am glad i undertook !] that took many phone calls and a FSM from a 95 cadillac to get running, but has been running flawless for the last 6-7 years, so i feel pretty proud about that project. i have, over the years, seen many kits at swap meets that were very good quality, using high grade wire, terminals, and relays at very good prices. but i have also seem my share of junk i wouldn't wire a desk lamp with. if you feel comfortable doing this task, a quality digital ohm meter, a test light, quality crimp and strip tools, and a suplimental 12v power supply will be your best friends ! as well as a FSM diagram of the column of choice [in your case the 89 dak], and schematics of starting, charging, and lighting circuits. also something i strongly advise is to record the wire colors and gage sizes used in the various circuits in a book or file for use in the future. don't be afraid. i believe you will find it fun and quite rewarding at the end. just try to keep the "magic smoke" inside where it belongs. grin
beer

Re: Wireing options [Re: moparx] #1878335
07/26/15 11:38 AM
07/26/15 11:38 AM
n.e. pa.
65rbdodge Offline OP
master
65rbdodge  Offline OP
master

n.e. pa.
thanks for the responses! I have the wiring diagram for the Dakota and some knowledge of electronics. I ordered the speedway motors harness i'll just need to adapt it to the Dakota column. I haven't posted any updates on this project in a while. its painted, 318/833od are in, 8.75 rear is in w/323 suregrip, new glass is in, has a Dakota front clip, hyd clutch. it needs wiring to run and then will need to interior put in and it will be nearly finished. hope to have it finished for the national Desoto convention in Maryland next year.

Re: Wireing options [Re: 65rbdodge] #1878443
07/26/15 02:48 PM
07/26/15 02:48 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Awesome project. Should be really cool when it's done. My contention on the wiring thing is; if you got chopped up stuff, you are better off pulling all the old stuff out and starting from scratch with fresh stuff. I got lots of stuff going in my Plymouth - power door locks ( including trunk lock ) and windows, A/C, complete gauge package, electronic controlled rad fan system w/ over ride, 2 spd wipers, Radio system, clock. Think I only have 2 - 3 spare circuits left over. Remember, everything you put in has to be accessible down the road. My wiring kit came with 6 pages of wiring info - well layed out. Got lots of hand written notes on them. Gonna try to leave about 80% of the wiring in place when the car goes to paint.

Fastest 300