01/10/09 11:08 AM
01/10/09 11:08 AM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
"Do you need anything special to replace your timing chain, cam and crank gears?"

No

"The bolt on the cam gear came loose, and the cam gear broke, so I'm not sure where the timing is. Is it just a matter of lining up the marks on the gears."

Yes.

"Or does it need to be at TDC, then the gears put on and marks lined up?"

No.

"Do I need a cam degree wheel to degree the cam?"

Yes. You will need a degree wheel if you decide to degree your cam.

Re: Replacing Timing Chain [Re: BSB67] #187099
01/10/09 11:51 AM
01/10/09 11:51 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Yes. You will need a degree wheel if you decide to degree your cam.

And a dial indicator, a piston stop to locate true TDC, and preferably a solid lifter to measure off of.

Re: Replacing Timing Chain [Re: MoparforLife] #187100
01/11/09 09:51 PM
01/11/09 09:51 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Another point being like in this case it is an unknown and unknown spec. No idea what to degree it to. Yep better pull a number out of your A&& and that will be fine, it is degreed now.
Quote:

This is a performance website so..

Whoopie Poopie this is a performance sight, that being the case it is an unwarranted question for it being a stock engine. No more non performance questions asked here. Oh better run right out and degree that driver too because coming from the factory it wasn't. Suprising that they even run not being degreed. BTW: if it makes you feel better by all means go ahead and degree it. But for a driver you won't gain squat.

Keep reaching for straws there.

Knowing the installed CL is important.
A stock engine will have a published number, but hey, don't let that spoil your "fun" in being contrary.

Re: Replacing Timing Chain [Re: SomeCarGuy] #187101
01/11/09 10:02 PM
01/11/09 10:02 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

Another point being like in this case it is an unknown and unknown spec. No idea what to degree it to. Yep better pull a number out of your A&& and that will be fine, it is degreed now.
Quote:

This is a performance website so..

Whoopie Poopie this is a performance sight, that being the case it is an unwarranted question for it being a stock engine. No more non performance questions asked here. Oh better run right out and degree that driver too because coming from the factory it wasn't. Suprising that they even run not being degreed. BTW: if it makes you feel better by all means go ahead and degree it. But for a driver you won't gain squat.

Keep reaching for straws there.

Knowing the installed CL is important.
A stock engine will have a published number, but hey, don't let that spoil your "fun" in being contrary.

Do what ever turns you little fingers on your crank. But don't go telling some one that in order to replace a timing chain that htye have to go out and buy a bunch of equipment that they will only very likely only use once. PS: I am not groping at straws here but it sure seems like you are. I actually wonder if you have ever done or if you are a text book mechanic.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3