05/07/15 01:06 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Originally Posted By savoy64

And I'd like to punch the person that started the M Y T H that changing pinion angle changes traction right in the boy marbles.

it is the same person that said the pinion snubber does some other magical thing besides keeping your overloaded cars driveshaft from rubbing in the tunnel...redneck traction control----hahahaha [/quote]

A snubber can have it's merits in certain applications. While they do help control axle rotation and spring wrap-up, they do nothing to help keep the engine torque from trying to pick up the pass side tire. I've had decent success getting mild street cars to work using a snubber, clamping the front spring segments, and using a rear sway/anti roll bar.

Who-ever came up with the bright idea of using leaf springs (in high horsepower apps) to transmit power also needs a punt to the junk. A spring, by nature, is designed to store and release energy - TOTALLY WRONG for the application. Any fix always involves taking the "spring" out of the front section. But that's a whole different argument.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: DusterDave] #1821008
05/07/15 01:14 PM
05/07/15 01:14 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By DusterDave
Originally Posted By Quicktree
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
I never mentioned anything about the ground, because the ground doesn't matter. Put a taller tire on and keep the same ride height, means the pinion is higher in the car, because the car sits over the tire more........... And as far as a handle on pinion angle, my handle is plenty good, some others around here, I am not so sure.

And Quicktree, if you have to ask me what positive pinion angle is, why are you even IN this discussion.

And still.......NOT ONE GURU has answered the question. Which WAS, if the front joint is lower than rear joint, the trans points toward the ground(and since some are SO caught up in exact numbers, lets say 3* tail down), which means the shaft runs UPHILL to pinion, would you roll the pinion UP 3*, to maintain a parallel angles, even though that HAS to put the joint broken over the WRONG way(positive).......when we ALL KNOW, or at least SHOULD know, that on acceleration the pinion climbs MORE and will make that joint angle even MORE wrong............waiting on an answer

How about a picture. So according to some of you THIS would be considered CORRECT since the engine/trans and rear are on the same angle. Even though the rear joint angle is over center and going to get worse on accel.........OK, find me a chassis guy who would set a rear angle up like this on a race car, thinking that is good to go and I will be quiet. For further clarification, we will even say this is where it is under power. Now I was always taught, that you NEVER want the rear joint to go over center under power in a race car.........but apparently it seems all those people who say that are full of hooey......LOL!!!
Monte you know I am not asking you what positive pinion angle is. I was asking you what you were basing your statement off of. what is it in relation to. Positive to what??????

Positive with respect to the back end of the driveshaft. Monte has explained several times that the driveline (trans/engine angle) is not considered, only the relationship of the back end of the driveshaft to pinion. Under power, you want the pinion to be in perfect alignment (or as close as possible without ever going positive) with the back end of the driveshaft, so you'll want to set the pinion angle several degrees negative with respect to the back end of the driveshaft. Hopefully that is an accurate interpretation of what Monte is trying to drive into the skulls of the unwashed masses.....LOL
get out of here, we are talking cars that go down a track not show poodles laugh2

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Evil Spirit] #1821009
05/07/15 01:15 PM
05/07/15 01:15 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
Originally Posted By savoy64

And I'd like to punch the person that started the M Y T H that changing pinion angle changes traction right in the boy marbles.

it is the same person that said the pinion snubber does some other magical thing besides keeping your overloaded cars driveshaft from rubbing in the tunnel...redneck traction control----hahahaha

A snubber can have it's merits in certain applications. While they do help control axle rotation and spring wrap-up, they do nothing to help keep the engine torque from trying to pick up the pass side tire. I've had decent success getting mild street cars to work using a snubber, clamping the front spring segments, and using a rear sway/anti roll bar.

Who-ever came up with the bright idea of using leaf springs (in high horsepower apps) to transmit power also needs a punt to the junk. A spring, by nature, is designed to store and release energy - TOTALLY WRONG for the application. Any fix always involves taking the "spring" out of the front section. But that's a whole different argument. [/quote] iagree same here

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1821081
05/07/15 02:46 PM
05/07/15 02:46 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Looks like the slow guys trying to teach the faster guys a thing or two in this thread. lmao

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Evil Spirit] #1821097
05/07/15 03:18 PM
05/07/15 03:18 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
Here's a couple video's that show the importance of having the trans and pinion centerlines parallel. Pretty simple concept, really. The only trick is to determine where the pinion angle needs to start at so the 2 angles are PARALLEL UNDER POWER. But this should put to rest any of the nonsense that has already been beat to death about the angles not needing to cancel each other out - but I doubt if it will. Enjoy the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4P75ZQvpws

These are excellent videos. I have no argument with either one. However, neither addresses the issue which is, what happens when the tailshaft is 3 degrees down and the rear u-joint is higher than the front and negative pinion angle HAS to be maintained.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 05/07/15 03:30 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1821102
05/07/15 03:27 PM
05/07/15 03:27 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
If that sketch depicts the parallel relationship between the pinion and transmission when the vehicle is UNDER POWER, the sketch is accurate.

If you think the drivetrain should be set up differently when the vehicle is UNDER POWER, please correct the sketch. Go ahead and draw the "correct pinion angle" over the top of the sketch that is "full of hooey".

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: DoctorDiff] #1821109
05/07/15 03:39 PM
05/07/15 03:39 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA

Here are 2 drawings. In each the engine/trans assembly is lower than the rear and is in the car with the tailshaft 3 degrees down. In the top one the pinion angle is 6 degrees positive and the centerlines are parallel. In the bottom one it is 3 degrees negative and the centerlines are not parallel. Which way would you set up your car?

Last edited by CMcAllister; 05/07/15 03:56 PM.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Quicktree] #1821125
05/07/15 04:04 PM
05/07/15 04:04 PM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Originally Posted By DusterDave
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
I never mentioned anything about the ground, because the ground doesn't matter. Put a taller tire on and keep the same ride height, means the pinion is higher in the car, because the car sits over the tire more........... And as far as a handle on pinion angle, my handle is plenty good, some others around here, I am not so sure.

And Quicktree, if you have to ask me what positive pinion angle is, why are you even IN this discussion.

And still.......NOT ONE GURU has answered the question. Which WAS, if the front joint is lower than rear joint, the trans points toward the ground(and since some are SO caught up in exact numbers, lets say 3* tail down), which means the shaft runs UPHILL to pinion, would you roll the pinion UP 3*, to maintain a parallel angles, even though that HAS to put the joint broken over the WRONG way(positive).......when we ALL KNOW, or at least SHOULD know, that on acceleration the pinion climbs MORE and will make that joint angle even MORE wrong............waiting on an answer

How about a picture. So according to some of you THIS would be considered CORRECT since the engine/trans and rear are on the same angle. Even though the rear joint angle is over center and going to get worse on accel.........OK, find me a chassis guy who would set a rear angle up like this on a race car, thinking that is good to go and I will be quiet. For further clarification, we will even say this is where it is under power. Now I was always taught, that you NEVER want the rear joint to go over center under power in a race car.........but apparently it seems all those people who say that are full of hooey......LOL!!!
Monte you know I am not asking you what positive pinion angle is. I was asking you what you were basing your statement off of. what is it in relation to. Positive to what??????

Positive with respect to the back end of the driveshaft. Monte has explained several times that the driveline (trans/engine angle) is not considered, only the relationship of the back end of the driveshaft to pinion. Under power, you want the pinion to be in perfect alignment (or as close as possible without ever going positive) with the back end of the driveshaft, so you'll want to set the pinion angle several degrees negative with respect to the back end of the driveshaft. Hopefully that is an accurate interpretation of what Monte is trying to drive into the skulls of the unwashed masses.....LOL
get out of here, we are talking cars that go down a track not show poodles laugh2

Show poodles need proper pinion angle, too! devil

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1821134
05/07/15 04:12 PM
05/07/15 04:12 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
If the transmission and pinion centerlines are parallel, the pinion angle in relation to the transmission is zero, not 6 degrees positive.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: DoctorDiff] #1821136
05/07/15 04:20 PM
05/07/15 04:20 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By DoctorDiff
If the transmission and pinion centerlines are parallel, the pinion angle in relation to the transmission is zero, not 6 degrees positive.

I will agree with that. However, the difference between the driveshaft and pinion centerlines, which is what my definition of "pinion angle" is, is 6 degrees. If the d-shaft is running uphill 3 degrees and the pinion is pointed up 3 degrees, that's 6. The actual numbers would depend on height difference between the front and rear joints and the length of the d-shaft.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: DoctorDiff] #1821151
05/07/15 04:34 PM
05/07/15 04:34 PM
1.5 miles west of Jacksonburg ...
Ohio Joe Offline
Ohio Joe  Offline

1.5 miles west of Jacksonburg ...
Originally Posted By DoctorDiff
. I agree when both parallels are the same, it's when u change the elevations and angles of those parallels and try to transmit power from one to the other that things get interesting!!!

66 Dart GT " Rat Racer"
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Ohio Joe] #1821156
05/07/15 04:44 PM
05/07/15 04:44 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Notice in the top drawing on my diagram, that the pinion centerline is above the tailshaft centerline. If the trans and the front u-joint are higher than the rear, those lines would be reversed and it would be fairly easy to make them parallel and maintain the desired negative pinion angle at the same time.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1821161
05/07/15 04:51 PM
05/07/15 04:51 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
You must always take into consideration suspension type, vehicle usage and traction when setting up driveline angle and static pinion angle.

Regadless of the application, a 2 joint driveshaft will ALWAYS operate the best when the pinion is parallel to the transmission. Of course, the driveline operating angle can't be too severe that the U-joints bind.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: CMcAllister] #1821174
05/07/15 05:11 PM
05/07/15 05:11 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
Once again, it does not matter if the pinion is higher or lower than the transmission. The same procedure applies:

1. Make the pinion parallel to the transmission as a base-line
2. Set the pinion downward an additional X degrees to compensate for suspension wind up.
3. The result is X degrees negative (static) pinion angle.

This is a perfect example of why the "other way" does not always work.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: CMcAllister] #1821175
05/07/15 05:12 PM
05/07/15 05:12 PM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
Originally Posted By CMcAllister

Here are 2 drawings. In each the engine/trans assembly is lower than the rear and is in the car with the tailshaft 3 degrees down. In the top one the pinion angle is 6 degrees positive and the centerlines are parallel. In the bottom one it is 3 degrees negative and the centerlines are not parallel. Which way would you set up your car?

I would be interested in knowing which of the above sketches is correct... I'll admit being a dumba$$...I have my yoke 3 degrees down from whatever the driveshaft is.

...FAFO...
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: sixpackgut] #1821232
05/07/15 06:54 PM
05/07/15 06:54 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
Looks like the slow guys trying to teach the faster guys a thing or two in this thread. lmao
what do you consider fast? I am faster than you shocked

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Quicktree] #1821241
05/07/15 07:05 PM
05/07/15 07:05 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI

I'm a slow car.. but I'm not telling anyone what to do.. I
do it my way.. and it works... my U-joints have been in there
so long its embarrassing
wave

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1821242
05/07/15 07:06 PM
05/07/15 07:06 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

I'm a slow car.. but I'm not telling anyone what to do.. I
do it my way.. and it works... my U-joints have been in there
so long its embarrassing
wave
same here

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Quicktree] #1821342
05/07/15 10:13 PM
05/07/15 10:13 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
I just now finished scaling and adjusting a stock front clip, backhalved, 9 second stickshift car. 4 link. Dana 60. 3500# full of fuel.

The trans is tail down 1.25 degress with a spacer under the mount to lift it up some. The drivesahft runs up towards the pinion 1.5 degrees. The pinion is 2.7 degrees down for a pinion angle of 1.2 negative. Kind of looks like the bottom drawing. That's how I sent it to the race track, again.

To make the centerlines parallel on this car would require a 3 degree positive pinion angle. And the front u-joint operating angle would likely exceed 4 degrees because rotating the rear around that far would raise the rear of the driveshaft up increasing the difference between the trans and the d-shaft. Everyone has an opinion of what is correct, and that's OK. This is how I did it.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1821343
05/07/15 10:14 PM
05/07/15 10:14 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Any of you that think the drawing I showed is CORRECT.......then there is no need for me to even continue in this discussion. In a RACE CAR, if you think it is desirable the have the u-joint over center, making the shaft and pinion come together to form a teepee, then there is nothing left for me to say, other than you have no clue how to set up a RACE car.

And whoever said the driveshaft doesn't even come into play as far as "pinion angle" is concerned is DEAD WRONG. Pinion angle is nothing more than the angle of the pinion TO the driveshaft, so yes, the driveshaft matters VERY much. The rest of this crap about parallel angles is "driveline" angle and does not matter when it comes to pinion angle. All I can say is Google is your friend.

It's apparent some don't get it and never will, so the rest of you can hash it out from here......McAllister, Bob George and a few others get it, but that's a short list........LOL!!!

Skicker........the bottom drawing is correct

Monte

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12