M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
Quote:

As a Bronco owner, I love ICON builds, although I would never spring six figures for a Bronco. They have incredible skills and this will be badass.
Everyone loves the Superbird and Daytona race ars like Big Willy. What is the difference?

Because those are recognizable pieces of drag history. This is not, apples and oranges.

1971 Plymouth Duster 340 auto
1937 Plymouth PT50
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 speed
2013 Ram laramie 2500 hemi
2008 Harley FLSTSB springer
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: mopars_1] #1758269
03/03/15 03:32 PM
03/03/15 03:32 PM
MD
p d'ro Offline
pro stock
p d'ro  Offline
pro stock

MD
Quote:

Quote:

As a Bronco owner, I love ICON builds, although I would never spring six figures for a Bronco. They have incredible skills and this will be badass.
Everyone loves the Superbird and Daytona race ars like Big Willy. What is the difference?

Because those are recognizable pieces of drag history. This is not, apples and oranges.

I guess my theory is that to become pieces of drag history they had to be cut and mangled. I do get your point that back then they were ugly cars that couldn't sell for various reasons.
Maybe the new owner wants something he can road race or do SCCA stuff. I would love to have one with coil overs, slammed low, 4 wheel discs, a new gen EFI hemi, etc.. To me they look so much better than an OEM skinny tire show car. If I had a survivor, ok leave it, but this rusted out one is free game. Not a rare hemi 4 speed..
I like this one..

8447505-daytona.jpg (139 downloads)
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: gtsuperbee] #1758270
03/05/15 12:08 AM
03/05/15 12:08 AM
mn.
T
taxidermy man Offline
taxidermy man  Offline
T

mn.
Quote:

I don't have a problem with mods to a rare car. At least someone is throwing some money at it. Pretty much everything I own is modded. There is room for everyone in the hobby to do their thing. Personally, I would walk past 100 restored birds to check out the one with mods... but that's just me. The car was very rough, and somebody wants to put the time and effort to save it. That's all that matters to me.

BINGO

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: taxidermy man] #1758271
03/05/15 12:43 AM
03/05/15 12:43 AM
KY
B
b5a12bee Offline
mopar
b5a12bee  Offline
mopar
B

KY
After looking at the one pic of the car, it doesn't look like much of the sheet metal can be saved and I could only imagine what the underside looks like. After you replaced all the original sheet metal and frame rails and what not, how much of the original car would you have anyway? I like cars to be restored to original as much as the next guy, but I don't see any harm here.

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: SattyNoCar] #1758272
03/05/15 09:36 PM
03/05/15 09:36 PM
The Historic Hudson Valley
MONC Offline
master
MONC  Offline
master

The Historic Hudson Valley
Quote:

Quote:

Judging by the website, and it's name, hoping it's not going to be transformed into some 4 X 4 abomination...

How about crawling out from under your rock. ICON builds more than 4X4's. I love the Derelict cars....original looking, totally new/modern underneath.

ICON Derelict

video

The derelict car thing is cool, I've seen that video a while back.
Ultimate sleepers.
A Superbird in it's original form does NOT look like a sleeper.
So where are they going to take it?
Hmmm, they do 4 X 4 s too, don't they?

Relax John, just messing with you.
Guess you want me to crawl back under my rock...

We'll see what they do with it and let the masses decide...

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: MONC] #1758273
03/06/15 02:51 AM
03/06/15 02:51 AM
CA, USA
JcodeCharger Offline
enthusiast
JcodeCharger  Offline
enthusiast

CA, USA
Its a shame because I tried to buy that very Superbird and plan to restore it. I was told was sold just after the talks started. What a shame. Affordable birds in project form are rare. Not mad at you Scott, just that the Superbirds and Daytonas have become the flavor of the week for the "more dollars than sense crowd".

68 twin turbo Dart 8.19 so far
70 Swinger 360
69 Roadrunner 383 4 speed
69 Mod Top Satellite 383 auto
69.5 A12 Super Bee 4 speed
70 T/A Challenger
70 FC7 Duster 340 4 speed
70 FJ5 Superbird
68 Hemi 4 speed Roadrunner
71 Duster W2 340
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1758274
03/06/15 08:07 PM
03/06/15 08:07 PM
Connecticut
jeff968 Offline
master
jeff968  Offline
master

Connecticut
Quote:

The guidelines were that it had to be a real Superbird (so no clones need apply)

Add me to the "I don't get it" list. I know, you are just the messenger but a nice 1970 Satellite would have produced the exact same results sans VIN and without the loss of a special car.

If I were to see it all done I would look at it but leave it shaking my head. IMHO of course.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: jeff968] #1758275
03/07/15 12:13 PM
03/07/15 12:13 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
It continues to astound me that people think a car with 90% of the parts replaced with aftermarket sheet metal is "saved and original". Do you really think if a basket case such as this with aftermarket parts (and a lot of them) most likely mig welded is any different than adding Superbird parts to a 70 Belvedere that was rust free? Why the VIN? I say build what you want, not what others think should be done with it. There are still plenty of rust buckets around. If you guys think they should be restored back to original, buy them up.
Doug

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: dvw] #1758276
03/07/15 01:40 PM
03/07/15 01:40 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

Do you really think if a basket case such as this with aftermarket parts (and a lot of them) most likely mig welded is any different than adding Superbird parts to a 70 Belvedere that was rust free?

Yep...

Because if the cowl, and core support numbers remain intact, it still gives provenance that it is indeed the real thing...

Along with the rest of the documentation..

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: RSNOMO] #1758277
03/07/15 04:11 PM
03/07/15 04:11 PM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
Quote:

Quote:

Do you really think if a basket case such as this with aftermarket parts (and a lot of them) most likely mig welded is any different than adding Superbird parts to a 70 Belvedere that was rust free?

Yep...

Because if the cowl, and core support numbers remain intact, it still gives provenance that it is indeed the real thing...

and the obvious difference in initial price tag.

1937 Plymouth PT50
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: mopars_1] #1758278
03/07/15 07:24 PM
03/07/15 07:24 PM
Sacramento, Ca
Darius Offline
master
Darius  Offline
master

Sacramento, Ca
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep...

and the obvious difference in initial price tag.

This whole discussion about "original" had me laughing (yet again) the other day. I was presenting a proposal to a woman who lives in an Eichler home. In Calif it was a "mid century modern" style home built in the mid 50's -mid 60's.
They are pieces of crap! 2x6T&G roof over exposed post and beam construction, 1/4" PLYWOOD on the walls, NO sheetrock, and ZERO insulation.
This woman was all out of sorts because to change the ALUMINUM wiring we would have to remove the wood paneling and new stuff just would not look right to a potential buyer!
Nevermind all the other non original stuff , like HVAC ducting exposed on the roof after the in the slab boiler heat finally failed.

Too much emphasis placed on "original" stuff. Did anyone notice the $$$ flying out at the January auctions for "restomod" style cars?????????

Driving modern convenience in classic beauty
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: RSNOMO] #1758279
03/07/15 08:13 PM
03/07/15 08:13 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Yep...

Again makes me laugh. The "real thing". How much has to be left to make it real? A Belvedere (factory metal, welds,flaws,etc.) has more in relation to a factory car than a Superbird tag stuck on $20K worth of Chinese replacement sheet metal. I could care less if the tag says what it started life as something rare. I'm not saying to fake one for profit. But lets face it this is a Hobby for 99% of us, not a business. I can't buy that a 2" tag makes a difference unless it's someones ego. Just my 2 cents. I guess that's why I cut stuff up and race it.
Doug

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: dvw] #1758280
03/07/15 09:39 PM
03/07/15 09:39 PM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep...

Again makes me laugh. The "real thing". How much has to be left to make it real? A Belvedere (factory metal, welds,flaws,etc.) has more in relation to a factory car than a Superbird tag stuck on $20K worth of Chinese replacement sheet metal. I could care less if the tag says what it started life as something rare. I'm not saying to fake one for profit. But lets face it this is a Hobby for 99% of us, not a business. I can't buy that a 2" tag makes a difference unless it's someones ego. Just my 2 cents. I guess that's why I cut stuff up and race it.
Doug

Are you implying that at a certain point, documented number don't mean anything? I guess the rest of the car world respectfully disagrees with you on that one. To each his own though.

Sounds like you're arguing against yourself. If this isn't a real superbird anymore and the numbers now don't mean anything, why bother sticking serious money into it rather than get a nice clean belvedere, buy good reproduction superbird pieces and save yourself a pile of money in the end while letting the next guy deal with the headache of restoring it?

1937 Plymouth PT50
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1758281
03/07/15 10:44 PM
03/07/15 10:44 PM
CO
R
Redbird Offline
super stock
Redbird  Offline
super stock
R

CO
For me, this is one of the few rust bucket wing car projects that I like.

If year one would have started with a real S/B like this for their B-J car, I might have felt different about it.

I've seen so many restored rust bucket wing cars that 10 years later are advertised as originals that I find this refreshing.

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: mopars_1] #1758282
03/08/15 12:38 AM
03/08/15 12:38 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep...

Doug

Are you implying that at a certain point, documented number don't mean anything? I guess the rest of the car world respectfully disagrees with you on that one. To each his own though.

Sounds like you're arguing against yourself. If this isn't a real superbird anymore and the numbers now don't mean anything, why bother sticking serious money into it rather than get a nice clean belvedere, buy good reproduction superbird pieces and save yourself a pile of money in the end while letting the next guy deal with the headache of restoring it?

Personally that's what I would have done. But my point is its the owners car. His build, his money, the finished product is up to him. I think people get hung up on what they perceive a car is worth rather than enjoying it. To each there own.
Doug

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1758283
03/11/15 01:04 PM
03/11/15 01:04 PM
Central Ohio
B
BMChrysler68 Offline
Smarter than the average bear? I think not.
BMChrysler68  Offline
Smarter than the average bear? I think not.
B

Central Ohio
I'm just excited by the possibility of a 'bird that doesn't have Goodyear Polyglas on it. I'll be watching.

1968 Plymouth Fury III
2dr FT, 383-4v, 4 speed

1972 AMC Ambassador SST wagon
360-4v, automatic

2014 Challenger R/T Classic 6-speed
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: wally426ci] #1758284
03/16/15 03:38 AM
03/16/15 03:38 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

The only reasoning I can think of (without the owner here to state correctly) is shock value. Saying it's a Satellite made to look like a Superbird vs. a real Superbird will definitely raise a few eyebrows on the show circuit.

That's just my I can't throw stones as I changed the color of my car and added a few things.

While it may be for "shock value"?...for some that are seeking a car for a project, they don't want the "fuss" looking for the parts needed to convert/clone a base model, or research what is correct, so the call goes out for a particular model to avoid that hassle...I've mentioned it before in another thread, I have/had a customer that wanted a Superbird, he contacted me thru an associate for the necessary repro parts to convert a 70 RR he had purchased for the project(black California rustfree car!), after visiting his shop, the RR was indeed a V code car, after discussing his build plans, of which a GM LS and OD trans were part of the build, I asked him why he was using the V code rather than a base Sat or 383 RR ?, his response was it was the first RR that he looked at, and had all the performance parts/trim that he needed to make a Superbird from it, and at the right price...I'm sure if he saw a Superbird at the right price it would have been used as well...this guy runs a shop dedicated to Mustangs and Cobras, so what those in the Mopar circles hold dear, those in other automotive circles look at as just machinery, I did manage to score the V code driveline for one of my projects though...

I look forward to seeing this HellCat build on this Superbird, it's currently 1 of 2 Superbird builds going on using Hellcat engines and so called "real" Superbirds...

I think as these cars start to change hands in this "new market" where the resto craze of late is being viewed as passe, more builds will be seen where updated drivelines, suspensions, interiors, etc, etc will be seen/done regardless of the cost, or the vehicle's pedigree

Mike

Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: wally426ci] #1758285
03/16/15 07:24 AM
03/16/15 07:24 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

The only reasoning I can think of (without the owner here to state correctly) is shock value. Saying it's a Satellite made to look like a Superbird vs. a real Superbird will definitely raise a few eyebrows on the show circuit.

Here's your answer (from another site) pretty much what I said above in my post

8461648-hellbird.JPG (173 downloads)
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: p d'ro] #1758286
03/22/15 09:45 AM
03/22/15 09:45 AM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline
top fuel
peabodyracing  Offline
top fuel

Minnesota
Thanks Scott for posting. This will be a fun one to watch. I'm sure you knew what you were getting into by posting in the first place.

Funny thing is just last week a local guy stopped at my place looking for an original GTO Judge. I knew a guy in SE MN who was heavy into them, but before I gave him the info, I asked him why he was looking for one. I'm always hesitant to send an unknown individual somebody's way without knowing a bit more of their story.

"I want to pro street it: tubs, lowered, 9" rear, blower", on and on.
He turned out to be one of those that couldn't put a sentence together without at least a couple of 4 letter words, normally starting with "F".

I just asked why he didnt locate a GTO or Tempest body and clone it the way he wanted. It would be easier to locate and less expensive to purchase, not to mention the Judge cars are somewhat rare.

"Nope; it's gotta be an original one." Some people just get it in their head and you're not going to change their mind.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way
Re: Wild Superbird Build To Keep An Eye On! [Re: DAYCLONA] #1758287
03/29/15 06:34 PM
03/29/15 06:34 PM
California
S
Stevo427 Offline
Stevo427  Offline
S

California
I can see the reason for wanting a real superbird and not a clone. Same goes for my roadrunner that I'm making a street/strip car. I could of went out and bought a satellite for way cheaper (and in better condition) but thats not what I wanted..I Wanted a ROADRUNNER and I didn't want to have to explain to everyone that it's a clone. Car would of probably just sat rotting way for another 10 years anyways.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3