02/16/15 03:06 PM
02/16/15 03:06 PM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline OP
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline OP
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
How do you like it? Whats the pros and cons?

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Cudajon] #1755939
02/16/15 09:11 PM
02/16/15 09:11 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Chally426 Offline
top fuel
Chally426  Offline
top fuel

Columbus, Ohio
I have it in my Cuda, But haven't had it on the road yet...Very Easy to install and seems like quality stuff

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Chally426] #1755940
02/17/15 08:39 PM
02/17/15 08:39 PM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline OP
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline OP
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
Doesn't appear to be a hot item. I sure like the looks of it.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Chally426] #1755941
02/17/15 08:56 PM
02/17/15 08:56 PM
Mrytle Beach SC
J
johnscudashop Offline
pro stock
johnscudashop  Offline
pro stock
J

Mrytle Beach SC
Quote:

I have it in my Cuda, But haven't had it on the road yet...Very Easy to install and seems like quality stuff

Same here. Very easy to install. Great stuff

8432623-100_2044.jpg (185 downloads)
Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Cudajon] #1755942
02/17/15 10:13 PM
02/17/15 10:13 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
They sell a lot of those suspension kits. I know since I make one of the parts that goes into the kit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Moparts members who run that kit but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of kits sold.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Cudajon] #1755943
02/18/15 07:24 AM
02/18/15 07:24 AM
Hawaii
D
Dodgeballs Offline
mopar
Dodgeballs  Offline
mopar
D

Hawaii
Would this setup be better for corners than the Hotchkis setup? I was thinking of going with the TVS for my 69 Roadrunner. This setup looks intriguing.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Cudajon] #1755944
02/18/15 10:47 AM
02/18/15 10:47 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Pros and cons?

Many including myself, feel 95% here on Moparts in a handling rich environment will never exceed the capabilities of a well sorted out OEM system with the typical upgrades.

I have the Highest regard/respect for Bill's long proven designs, and I own a AlterK, except for this rear suspension.

We have had this public disagreement before, and nothing yet has convinced me this is mainly other then an adaption of a typical multi decade plus suspension used in the past on the Fox body and other cars. And if you do your homework on Fox bodies, the first thing they do is dump the rear suspension. Why is that?

It's target seems to be for the uninformed who want to spend money and have something different to show their prowess of making their classic mopar modern. The FOX OEM 4 link system relies on bind, and is mainly for packaging and low cost, to achieve an objective, not for performance.

Sorry Bill

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: jcc] #1755945
02/18/15 02:41 PM
02/18/15 02:41 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I agree, the triangulated 4 link is a compromise. GM used them before the fox body of course, including even in the Aussie Holden Toranas like I have. They have been road raced since they came out in the 70's and have been very good at it. But...the factory 4 link setup does as mentioned bind and is not an ideal setup if you are doing it for road racing.

I know a bunch of people who race competitively, and leaving the rear suspension stock is usually only done if the class dictates it.

Some guys as they did in the 70's just add a panhard bar, but that induces a bind when used with the triangulated upper arms. Going to soft upper bushing helps some but then you end up with more movement.

Some class guys that need to keep the stock location arms run basically sponge rubber bushings to make the stock upper arms useless, then add a 3rd center arm and a panhard or even better still, a watts link.

From scratch people who can run anything seem to be going with a similar 3 link setup with a watts link.

If you were going to run a different suspension setup like going going from Mopar leaf to anything from scratch, I think that would probably be a better route to think about.

That said, the triangulated 4 link is not terrible, and do know guys who are very competitive with them when they have no choice and are limited to it, but it still is not the best.

The length of the arms, and lots of other things play a big factor too, and you'd want to make sure they were designed for correct instant center, roll center, etc and not just what was best for packaging.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755946
02/18/15 03:39 PM
02/18/15 03:39 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline
master
B5 Bee  Offline
master

Pangaea
If spherical rod ends were used on a triangulated 4-link instead of bushings, wouldn't that eliminate binding during extreme body roll?

Even a 3 or 4 link with a Wishbone or Watts linkage would bind if the 3-4 links had bushings instead of rod ends.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755947
02/18/15 03:46 PM
02/18/15 03:46 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

I agree, the triangulated 4 link is a compromise.

snipped for brevity

The length of the arms, and lots of other things play a big factor too, and you'd want to make sure they were designed for correct instant center, roll center, etc and not just what was best for packaging.

above the snip - don't go over to the street rod forum and say this. Below the snip - most street rod builders and manufacturers focus on packaging and that is it.

My 96 Mustang was squirelly, stock. Put in poly bushings and it helped a bit. Added a watts linkage and it was as good as it was going to get for a DD without a complete redesign/different style suspension.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: B5 Bee] #1755948
02/18/15 06:26 PM
02/18/15 06:26 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

If spherical rod ends were used on a triangulated 4-link instead of bushings, wouldn't that eliminate binding during extreme body roll?

Even a 3 or 4 link with a Wishbone or Watts linkage would bind if the 3-4 links had bushings instead of rod ends.

The rod ends may help some, but I think it is the twisting motion that still is the issue with the triangulated 4 link moving in one plane, and the panhard bar trying to push the diff to the side in another plane. That is why the Watts link of course would be better as it moves straight up and down with no side to side arc. But a 3 link with bushings won't bind since the arms are all moving in the same plane...straight forward and rearward that is...

At least as far as I seem to understand it.

There was a good thread on the rear suspension design issues on a Torana site I am on a while back, have to try and dig up a link, it was very interesting when it comes to the factory design (triangulated 4 link) versus "fixing it" in different ways.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Supercuda] #1755949
02/18/15 06:31 PM
02/18/15 06:31 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, the triangulated 4 link is a compromise.

snipped for brevity

above the snip - don't go over to the street rod forum and say this. Below the snip - most street rod builders and manufacturers focus on packaging and that is it.

My 96 Mustang was squirelly, stock. Put in poly bushings and it helped a bit. Added a watts linkage and it was as good as it was going to get for a DD without a complete redesign/different style suspension.

I just upgraded the stock suspension on mine Holden. I boxed the lower arms,better bushings, and use adjustable Edelbrock uppers. (Chevelle arms are slightly shorter but adjustable ones will work fine).

The more I read and understood about ways to change things around it, and not really worrying about keeping my car stock, some of the redesigns out there do look like an awesome way to go, but do take some fair modifing.

(I use an aluminum drop tank...oversize fuel tank...which limits my space for a watts link at this point without changing the tank, and to get a proper length 3rd link and drop the factory upper arms means the back seat gets a bit iffy. Another option would be a 3rd link like a late 90's Camaro...seen a few guys go that route when the class they are in doesn't let them go through and into the floor to run a top mount 3rd link)

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755950
02/18/15 06:47 PM
02/18/15 06:47 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline
master
B5 Bee  Offline
master

Pangaea
Quote:

Quote:

The rod ends may help some, but I think it is the twisting motion that still is the issue with the triangulated 4 link moving in one plane, and the panhard bar trying to push the diff to the side in another plane. That is why the Watts link of course would be better as it moves straight up and down with no side to side arc. But a 3 link with bushings won't bind since the arms are all moving in the same plane...straight forward and rearward that is...

There was a good thread on the rear suspension design issues on a Torana site I am on a while back, have to try and dig up a link, it was very interesting when it comes to the factory design (triangulated 4 link) versus "fixing it" in different ways.

Why add a panhard bar to a triangulated 4-link?
No need for one, that's why the upper bars are triangulated.

The two 3-link suspensions I've seen, old PS Camaro and Vega, didn't have the top bar in the same plane as the lower two. The top bar was on the right side, angled towards the center of the car. Both cars used wishbones for housing locators.
I once owned a Duster (former PS car) with 4-link and a Watts linkage. It's the more complex method to locate the rear housing but if I were building for the street, this is what I would go with over a panhard bar that will induce binding or a wishbone that puts a side load on the Heim joint.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: Supercuda] #1755951
02/18/15 06:48 PM
02/18/15 06:48 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Here is a pretty nice 3 link/watts link setup...

Might be a little overkill for a regular street car, but if you are going to the trouble to replace all the rear suspension design and system (in the case of asking about the lynx setup) you could always go all the way...

Again, suppose it is about compromise.

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755952
02/18/15 06:51 PM
02/18/15 06:51 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: B5 Bee] #1755953
02/18/15 06:54 PM
02/18/15 06:54 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why add a panhard bar to a triangulated 4-link?
No need for one, that's why the upper bars are triangulated.

The two 3-link suspensions I've seen, old PS Camaro and Vega, didn't have the top bar in the same plane as the lower two. The top bar was on the right side, angled towards the center of the car. Both cars used wishbones for housing locators.
I once owned a Duster (former PS car) with 4-link and a Watts linkage. It's the more complex method to locate the rear housing but if I were building for the street, this is what I would go with over a panhard bar that will induce binding or a wishbone that puts a side load on the Heim joint.

Even with the triangulated 4 link you can still get side to side diff movement...which was found out on the track in the 70's with Holden Toranas at least, and the early cars did add a panhard bar to the t-4 link on the track (sort of got away with that is )

As said the watts link is a better way to go, but more complex than a panhard. (since it lets the diff move in a straight up and down motion and not an arc like the panhard)

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755954
02/18/15 06:56 PM
02/18/15 06:56 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Oh and to go with the above pictures...here is the upper 3rd link that car uses. Again, not ideal for a street car perhaps...but...

Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755955
02/18/15 07:01 PM
02/18/15 07:01 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
And just for comparison sake..here is the factory rear suspension design (basically at least) My diff, which is a 9" now, and the different upper arms, but factory lengths and angles. Lowers are factory that I boxed.

Again, OE had to package everything for an everyday car, I think longer upper arms would have helped some from what I read.

But again there are better ways to go if you are building a setup from scratch so to speak.

8433640-045.JPG (106 downloads)
Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: OzHemi] #1755956
02/18/15 07:02 PM
02/18/15 07:02 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA

And that car above uses the factory lower control arm mounting points on the body to get an idea how it all sits..

8433643-046.JPG (142 downloads)
Last edited by OzHemi; 02/18/15 07:04 PM.
Re: Anybody running an Reilly Street Lynx rear suspension? [Re: B5 Bee] #1755957
02/18/15 08:45 PM
02/18/15 08:45 PM
Hershey, PA
73MagDuster Offline
73MagDuster  Offline

Hershey, PA
You guys are over selling the bind on a panhard, especially for a street car. Is there some? Yes. Can a difference be felt on a street car? Not by most.

The stock Mustang setup would allow the rear end to move laterally over an inch. Like stated above most Fox and Sn95 guys converted to a 3 link with watts or panhard setup.

The issue I see with trying a oanhard or watts setup on an old Mopar, especially A body is there is no room between the axle and fuel tank for even a panhard bar and going forward kills the exhaust clearance. I believe that is why RMS uses the design they do. I would like to know if that had something to do with XV not offering a Level II a body system or if it was purely a lack of interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2