Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: charge70] #1754000
02/15/15 04:21 PM
02/15/15 04:21 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Is there any possibility that it is one of the end exhaust manifold studs/bolts leaking.Coolant leaking there and running down onto the freeze plug making it look like the plug is leaking? Just thinking out loud. My John.

I thought the same thing so I blew it dry with air and confirmed it's coming from the freeze plug.

Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: Instigate] #1754001
02/15/15 04:27 PM
02/15/15 04:27 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I know you are probably not thinking it would be fun, but have you thought about pulling the engine back out and going through it to check things internally like clearances, torque specs on things, etc.

Just with the errors so far, makes you tend to wonder about the rest of the job done on it.

Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: OzHemi] #1754002
02/15/15 05:23 PM
02/15/15 05:23 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

I know you are probably not thinking it would be fun, but have you thought about pulling the engine back out and going through it to check things internally like clearances, torque specs on things, etc.

Just with the errors so far, makes you tend to wonder about the rest of the job done on it.

I believe someone mentioned something like this baack when it was just the rockers in the wrong places

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: Supercuda] #1754003
02/15/15 05:29 PM
02/15/15 05:29 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I believe someone mentioned something like this baack when it was just the rockers in the wrong places

Probably..

back to doing some yard work..

Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: OzHemi] #1754004
02/15/15 05:46 PM
02/15/15 05:46 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

haha ya it was mentioned. But the way I see it. I paid for it to be done right and it's on warranty. So if they did something wrong hopefully it shows up within the one or two year warranty period. Besides that, I don't really have the luxury of being able to spend the time to disassemble it and check it out, otherwise I would have done the whole rebuild myself. But I don't have time for all that.

I'm going to fire it up today and if they don't seal up the machine shop will have to take care of it.

Last edited by Instigate; 02/15/15 05:47 PM.
Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: Instigate] #1754005
02/15/15 06:39 PM
02/15/15 06:39 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Quote:

haha ya it was mentioned. But the way I see it. I paid for it to be done right and it's on warranty. So if they did something wrong hopefully it shows up within the one or two year warranty period. Besides that, I don't really have the luxury of being able to spend the time to disassemble it and check it out, otherwise I would have done the whole rebuild myself. But I don't have time for all that.

I'm going to fire it up today and if they don't seal up the machine shop will have to take care of it.

so...you paid them to do it right and get a warranty and they can fix their mistakes.

...you are finding lots wrong and have either fixed it yourself, or they told you "meh, run it anyway, it'll be alright"

at what point are you actually going to take it in for them to fix their mistakes?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: 70Cuda383] #1754006
02/15/15 06:40 PM
02/15/15 06:40 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Food for thought... If you start it, run it and something lets go, are they going to say "hey, if you brought it in we would have fixed it, but you ran the motor and hurt it worse. we're not obligated to fix that"

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: 70Cuda383] #1754007
02/15/15 07:28 PM
02/15/15 07:28 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I think if they assembled the engine with items like rockers and shafts on wrong, I would tow the vehicle down to their shop after you have everything hooked up and have them fire it up. Then if it starts knocking or smokes like a locomotive they can't blame you. As for the freeze plug, there is stop leak or replacement. Which leads to the question: what is the proper procedure for installing a freeze plug. Hint: most people do it wrong.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Newly rebuilt engine leaking coolant from a freezeplug [Re: OzHemi] #1754008
02/15/15 08:04 PM
02/15/15 08:04 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Probably..

back to doing some yard work..

So it backfires thru the throttle body. Makes me think the timing is not right.

Pulled the dist and rotated the rotor 180 deg put it back in and it fired right up. But the freeze plug didn't seal up I don't think.

Last edited by Instigate; 02/16/15 01:12 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2