02/03/15 10:28 PM
02/03/15 10:28 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
B
Big Den Offline OP
Big Den  Offline OP
B

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone. I am a new member here and just found this section and wanted to share my so called "barn find" survivor that I am restoring.
I bought it from a fellow in Ottawa Ontario who had just purchased it from a family estate in the Ottawa area. It had been in the family since day one and had about 85,000 miles on it. It had been in storage for about 22 yrs, untouched.

I purchased it thinking I could spend about 5 gran on it and sell it to make a few bucks after having the fun doing it. Has not worked that way as I could not stop doing a full restoration. Too much of a perfectionist. So here is the story.

It was running rough (3 stuck valves) but everything else worked on the car, lights etc. We drove it onto the trailer for the trip home to outside Toronto. Alright, it wasn't perfect, what Canadian car is, as it needed some rust repair on the bottom of the quarters and over the rear wheel wells. Trunk, a bad spot on these, was great, just some surface rust, extensions just the very bottoms of them was rusted. A bit at the bottom of the wheel wells. Two minor spots in the floor boards. I replace both fenders as it was easier than fixing them but they were not bad. Inner fenders and firewall were near perfect. I changed the passenger door as the top hinge was seized and someone had opened the door and bent and broke the hinge mount on the door. Easier to replace. At the back quarter on the passenger side, someone had hit it and bent it pretty good so took a piece from a donor car and welded it in.

The interior was great, untouched, no rips tears and the upholstery was perfect and still soft. Dash pad perfect and soft, convertible top, perfect and soft still. This car was all original and still had the original bias ply tires on the car and in the trunk, two of them in excellent tread and no cracks. Hub caps were perfect, no dents.

Has a 383 2 barrel (275 hp)727 automatic trans, 8 3/4 rear, limited slip with 2.94 gears. Power steering, manual brakes, console, buckets. This is the Satellite Sport which is the top of the line just below the GTX.

Will tell you some of the work done in another post but here is a picture of the car when I bought it. Want to see more and pics of restoration and how it looks almost finished click on the drop box file to see all the pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1i4w3eg0m4uk9p2/AADh5x2mbDXZdL4VCztIOe-Ya?dl=0

8418172-Carpic1.jpg (243 downloads)
Last edited by Big Den; 02/03/15 11:29 PM.
Re: Barn Find - 67 Satellite Convertible [Re: Big Den] #1745905
02/03/15 11:17 PM
02/03/15 11:17 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
B
Big Den Offline OP
Big Den  Offline OP
B

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I ended up dismantling the entire car and rebuilding everything. The car was sand blasted except for outside sheet metal which was hand stripped, all minor dings fixed and any rust, surface or otherwise repaired. The underside, front K frame and steering, rear axle inside the cabin, under the hood area and trunk sprayed with Por 15 rust protection. Then sprayed with Por-15 finish coat chassis black, Areas to be painted with finish coat were then primed with Por-15 special primer. The car was then primed with 2 part primer before painting. Obviously this is the abbreviated version as anyone who has done this knows there is a lot of sanding, fitting, block sanding etc.

Attaching a picture of underneath the car before applying the chassis coat semi-luster black finish.

8418235-IMG_0517.JPG (216 downloads)
Re: Barn Find - 67 Satellite Convertible [Re: Big Den] #1745906
02/04/15 07:45 PM
02/04/15 07:45 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Nice car. Did you buy 1/4 patch panels from someone? If so who and how did you like them?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Barn Find - 67 Satellite Convertible [Re: Big Den] #1745907
02/04/15 11:09 PM
02/04/15 11:09 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Neat car.

Sheldon

Re: Barn Find - 67 Satellite Convertible [Re: GTX MATT] #1745908
02/05/15 12:20 PM
02/05/15 12:20 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
B
Big Den Offline OP
Big Den  Offline OP
B

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No actually there was a guy advertising hand made lower quarter full length panels on Ebay. I need only a small area at the bottom behind the wheel some over the wheel well (just the lip actually) and a very small area just ahead of the rear wheel on both sides. So I purchased the panels I think for $75.00 each and took a chance. They actually worked out pretty good with only some minor work needed around the wheel well to smooth some crinkles from the bending. I see many of these cars restored and they eliminate the bulge or lip around the wheel well and you know immediately they made the panels. These have the lip but not quite as large as the factory lip but most people will not notice. All in all, I was happy with them and was able to make them work. I expected to have to do work and I think what every you get you must expect that. I think, last I seen he is still advertising a set you may try to find them.
Dennis

Re: Barn Find - 67 Satellite Convertible [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1745909
02/05/15 12:26 PM
02/05/15 12:26 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
B
Big Den Offline OP
Big Den  Offline OP
B

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Sheldon. It sure has been a labour of love but near the end now. I always loved those cars and I thought that was the best colour for that car as well so I was hooked when I seen it. Still thinking I am going to sell it when done but can never get my money out of it as I have touched every bolt and nut, replaced anything and everything that used to go wrong with those cars with new parts, keeping the original appearance where possible. Wanted to keep the originality with a few period correct upgrades such as the rims etc. Will be posting the finished product when done.

Re: Barn Find - 67 Satellite Convertible [Re: GTX MATT] #1745910
02/21/15 12:48 AM
02/21/15 12:48 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
B
Big Den Offline OP
Big Den  Offline OP
B

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here is a link to a sight that has full length r & left lower patch panels. I think these are the ones I got and they were not bad but did need some work.
http://www.vintagepartsclub.com/search.php?search_query=plymouth+belvedere+2+door&x=12&y=4