U.S.
M
moparniac Offline OP
master
moparniac  Offline OP
master
M

U.S.
where do you guys or how are you getting the pinion angle of the dana 60 thx... I have caltracs and no pinion snubber pad...

Iput the angle finder on the back of the tranny seal and on the yoke on the dana 60....

Last edited by wedgeOmatic; 12/24/08 04:57 PM.

Mopar Performance
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: moparniac] #174173
12/24/08 06:09 PM
12/24/08 06:09 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

where do you guys or how are you getting the pinion angle of the dana 60 thx... I have caltracs and no pinion snubber pad...

Iput the angle finder on the back of the tranny seal and on the yoke on the dana 60....

NO, the pinion angle as reffferrred to in the Mopar chassis manuals is the difference between the driveshaft and the pinion flange or the seat where the U joints sit against the pinion seats. Does your pinion flange have a machine surface on the outside edges? If so disconnect one of the pinion straps or U bolts so you can accurately measure off of the surface. The driveshaft angle on the front in relationship to the trans is another seperate angle. There are some racers, book smart people that always throw the trans angle discusion into pinion angle, not the same thing.Two different entitiys, IMO. Which both need to be right to get the car to work properly, again in my opinion Merry Christmas to all and please have a happy and sane New Year

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Cab_Burge] #174174
12/24/08 06:14 PM
12/24/08 06:14 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
You can get the rearend pinion angle off the machined surface that the rear cover plate bolts on or if the cover is on put yor angle finder on the heads of two vertical cover bolts.

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: B G Racing] #174175
12/24/08 06:57 PM
12/24/08 06:57 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

don't listen to these old geezers

Pinion Angle
Tired of breaking cases and drive shafts? There are many books that misled you on setting the pinion angle. For Drag Racing this is simple. You are trying to set the pinion angle to be parallel with the centerline of the engine & transmission on hard acceleration. To achieve this you must first figure out the parallel setting of the rear end to correspond to the angle of the engine & transmission, then add the proper amount of pinion angle. Add 1 deg. for 4-Link vehicles, 2 to 3 deg. for ladder-bar vehicles. Place stands under suspension to duplicate vehicle at ride height. Caution do not remove drive shaft without securing vehicle first. Take measurement with drive shaft removed.

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Quicktree] #174176
12/24/08 07:32 PM
12/24/08 07:32 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

don't listen to these old geezers

Pinion Angle
Tired of breaking cases and drive shafts? There are many books that misled you on setting the pinion angle. For Drag Racing this is simple. You are trying to set the pinion angle to be parallel with the centerline of the engine & transmission on hard acceleration. To achieve this you must first figure out the parallel setting of the rear end to correspond to the angle of the engine & transmission, then add the proper amount of pinion angle. Add 1 deg. for 4-Link vehicles, 2 to 3 deg. for ladder-bar vehicles. Place stands under suspension to duplicate vehicle at ride height. Caution do not remove drive shaft without securing vehicle first. Take measurement with drive shaft removed.

Any one can regurgitate what they read in a book or repeat some one else.Are you gonna crap your self when some one disproves Einsteins Theorys?What if you have a trans angle that is acute to the working angle of the rear u-joint.Do you point the pinion nose into the dirt to give it that certain degree of relationship.No,you adjust the trans tail shaft angle to the working angle of the u-joints and the same with the rearend pinion angle,then adjust the negative degress for wrap up alignment under load.The relationship of the trans angle and pinion angle is determined with what links them together,I read somewhere it's called a driveshaft or propeller shaft.Once you establish the geometry of the best working range of the u-joints you have created the plane of alignment.Now you adjust for reaction movement(final alignment under load)static pinion angle to torque load movement.Since the trans is in a fix position and only the rearend rotation is the only reaction movement,1 degree with 4 link,2 degrees with ladder bar and 4 to 6 degrees recommended for ,springs,you are ready to set your pinion angle to the shaft.I read this some where long,long ago.I think this crap was studyed very hard on when driveshafts were were a fixed solid tube with a ball and trunion joint at only one end.Anyone remember those?Your turn

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Cab_Burge] #174177
12/24/08 08:12 PM
12/24/08 08:12 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline OP
master
moparniac  Offline OP
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

Quote:

If so disconnect one of the pinion straps or U bolts so you can accurately measure off of the surface.

thats what I did and it was coming up 9* down ill cehck on the back of the cover bolts....

Last edited by wedgeOmatic; 12/24/08 08:16 PM.

Mopar Performance
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 *DELETED* [Re: B G Racing] #174178
12/24/08 08:15 PM
12/24/08 08:15 PM
Mt.Vernon ,Ohio
VernMotor Offline
master
VernMotor  Offline
master

Mt.Vernon ,Ohio
Post deleted by ZIPPY

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: VernMotor] #174179
12/24/08 08:19 PM
12/24/08 08:19 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

LMAO

Yep,yep

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: B G Racing] #174180
12/24/08 08:34 PM
12/24/08 08:34 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: slantzilla] #174181
12/24/08 09:47 PM
12/24/08 09:47 PM
Michigan
G
Get-X Offline
mopar
Get-X  Offline
mopar
G

Michigan
LOL !! Well said BG, well said!!

'65 Belvedere
'68 GTX
'57 Dodge pickup
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: moparniac] #174182
12/24/08 10:46 PM
12/24/08 10:46 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Measure the drivesahft angle and the pinion angle with your angle finder and then do the math to get the differences between the two, that is what is called the pinion angle in all of the old Mopar chassis manuals, believe it or not For instance, if the driveshaft measures 90 degrees on your angle finder and the pinon measures 87 with the pinion nose down instead of up you have 3 degrees differences in the correct way, if the pinion is pointed up then you need to rotate the rear end housing down 6 to 9 degrees to get 3 to 6 nose down in relation to the driveshaft. If the driveshaft measures two degrees left of the 90 degree mark looking at it from the drivers side and the pinion measures three degrees right of the 90 degree mark you add the two measurements up which comes to five degrees which will work fine on a Cal Track car, usually. Some Cal track cars need more and some need less. If the driveshaft reads two degrees left of the 90 degree mark and the pinion reads 3 or more degrees left of the 90 degree mark also then the rear end housing needs to be rotated down down to get the needed dergrees of difference. Nothing to it, huh Keep at it, get it done corerectly now and prevent damage later

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Cab_Burge] #174183
12/24/08 11:03 PM
12/24/08 11:03 PM
wisconSIN
B
Blown61 Offline
pro stock
Blown61  Offline
pro stock
B

wisconSIN
Perhaps this needs to get moved to yellow bullet?

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Cab_Burge] #174184
12/25/08 12:19 AM
12/25/08 12:19 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
First, Merry Christmas

Those old MP manuals had Lots of good info. In general thier advice on pinion angle was decent and works Fine in most cases.

U joints are forgiving and in alot of cases measuring pinion angle off the Drive shaft works fine.

And that Is what the MP manuals referred to as Pinion angle. But those old school guys were wrong But not that wrong that thier advice was bad.

Pinion angle off the drive shaft is just that, and that Only.

Lets take a example desired number, say 4* pinion down. We want 4* for a pinion angle with our setup.

And our car just happens to have a Perfect alingment between the Tranny and rear pinion.

Pinion-----------------------Tranny

0----------shaft-------------0 Like this!

This diagram shows 0 down pinion angle and we Dont want that, so we lower the rear pinion angle by 4* to the shaft as the MP manuel states. In this case it works out Perfect!! And you are indeed 4* pinion Down, not only on the Shaft, but from the Parallel angle off the "pinion and the tranny" too.

Now in the real world the tranny cl is hardly ever perfectly inline with the pinion cl. Throw in some SS springs to the mix your rear pinion and tranny are far from centerline.

So lets say that because of the above , the rear pinion cl is down say, 3.36" inches from the tranny centerline but yet they are still parellel with each other.

Whats our driveshaft doing, since the rear is down? At a 4'length its angling down at 4* towards the Pinion from the tranny.

Doing it the MP manuel way in this case, you wouldnt adjust the pinion down from the Shaft, because your already at 4* down.

Yep your 4* down from the shaft, but unlike in the first scenario you are not 4* down from the tranny and pinion parallel angle as you were in the First scenario.

In the first example 4* down from the shaft is 4* down from parallel.

In the second example 4* down from the shaft is 0* down from parallel.

We wanted 4* down for the setup. In the first example all the old dogs would of adjusted for it.

In the second example the old dogs would of said its dead on wrong

Im an old dog myself, But Ive been enlitend. I like Hellen Keller spent many years in the darkness.

But the lite is now shining Old dogs Follow the lite

With due respect to all, Merry Christmas, mike

Last edited by Sport440; 12/25/08 02:12 AM.
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: moparniac] #174185
12/25/08 12:36 AM
12/25/08 12:36 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I can tell you a easy way to measure it(which ever
way you wish to do it). If you want to go off of
the drive shaft... car on stands, in neutral, have
the rear U-joint level... now take a socket that
fits the U-joint cup set it on the bottom cup,
take a reading with your protractor on the socket
(the socket is nothing but a spacer). Turn the U-
joint 90* and do the same thing again and look at
the reading, remember that you want the nose lower.
If you take the reading from the trans do the same
thing but only on the yoke side at the trans and
the other reading on the rear U-joint on the diff
side of it..... very simple and you dont pull the
drive shaft

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: moparniac] #174186
12/25/08 02:02 AM
12/25/08 02:02 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
PINION angle is the difference between the angle of the engine/trans centerline and the PINION, and NOTHING ELSE. U-JOINT angle is the difference between the driveshaft and the engine/trans in the front, and the driveshaft and pinion in the rear, and NOTHING ELSE. You want the centerline of trans and pinion to be parallel under power, with about 1-2* of u-joint angle to make the joints wear properly, and to cancel vibration. Measure with the weight on the rear axle. So, to make it easy, if the trans is level - 0*, you want about 2* down on the driveshaft, and the pinion level -0*- as a baseline. Add to the rear u-joint angle 0* for a 4 link, 1-2* for ladders, and 3-5* for leaf cars. So in this application, the trans would be 0* (level), you would have -2* front u-joint angle, the driveshaft would be angled down 2*, +6* rear u-joint angle, and +4* (FROM LEVEL) downward pinion angle for a leaf spring car. This gives the correct (-2* and +2*) U-JOINT ANGLES under power, after the springs wrap up 4*. My printer is down, so I can't draw it and scan it to post, but this is the correct way to measure U-JOINT and PINION ANGLES.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Sport440] #174187
12/25/08 04:03 AM
12/25/08 04:03 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

First, Merry Christmas

Those old MP manuals had Lots of good info. In general thier advice on pinion angle was decent and works Fine in most cases.

U joints are forgiving and in alot of cases measuring pinion angle off the Drive shaft works fine.

And that Is what the MP manuals referred to as Pinion angle. But those old school guys were wrong But not that wrong that thier advice was bad.

Pinion angle off the drive shaft is just that, and that Only.

Lets take a example desired number, say 4* pinion down. We want 4* for a pinion angle with our setup.

And our car just happens to have a Perfect alingment between the Tranny and rear pinion.

Pinion-----------------------Tranny

0----------shaft-------------0 Like this!

This diagram shows 0 down pinion angle and we Dont want that, so we lower the rear pinion angle by 4* to the shaft as the MP manuel states. In this case it works out Perfect!! And you are indeed 4* pinion Down, not only on the Shaft, but from the Parallel angle off the "pinion and the tranny" too.

Now in the real world the tranny cl is hardly ever perfectly inline with the pinion cl. Throw in some SS springs to the mix your rear pinion and tranny are far from centerline.

So lets say that because of the above , the rear pinion cl is down say, 3.36" inches from the tranny centerline but yet they are still parellel with each other.

Whats our driveshaft doing, since the rear is down? At a 4'length its angling down at 4* towards the Pinion from the tranny.

Doing it the MP manuel way in this case, you wouldnt adjust the pinion down from the Shaft, because your already at 4* down.

Yep your 4* down from the shaft, but unlike in the first scenario you are not 4* down from the tranny and pinion parallel angle as you were in the First scenario.

In the first example 4* down from the shaft is 4* down from parallel.

In the second example 4* down from the shaft is 0* down from parallel.

We wanted 4* down for the setup. In the first example all the old dogs would of adjusted for it.

In the second example the old dogs would of said its dead on wrong

Im an old dog myself, But Ive been enlitend. I like Hellen Keller spent many years in the darkness.

But the lite is now shining Old dogs Follow the lite

With due respect to all, Merry Christmas, mike

Merry Christmas Mike and everyone else. but you know we can't convince some of these guys know matter how well it is explained

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: Quicktree] #174188
12/25/08 06:04 AM
12/25/08 06:04 AM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline OP
master
moparniac  Offline OP
master
M

U.S.
confusing stuff

Last edited by wedgeOmatic; 12/25/08 06:08 AM.

Mopar Performance
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: moparniac] #174189
12/25/08 09:12 AM
12/25/08 09:12 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

confusing stuff

Well,well now you have it.Setting up off the trans tailshaft as discribed is correct for setting working angles of the u-joints.Once you establish the working angles(both u-joints opperating with in their working range in a parallel or near paralell plane,them you can set your pinion angle for your type of suspension.You new wave experts and book buddys need to understand what you're talking about.We old timers allready have figured for the working range during the chassis build or suspension modification.That's second nature for us.Assuming that your build and modification had allowed for this,then set the pinion angle off the driveshaft is the acceptable method.And as stated many times your basic mopar engine and trans is a fix position,your not likely to change it,and anyone that does change it or the suspension (should) have the basic knowledge of working range of u-joints.With that being said the youngsters and book buddys are also in their own way correct,they should have explaned their method as such(setting the working range of the u-joints correctly so that proper pinion angle can be achived.)My advice for them is to totally understand what they read and what picture they look at before claiming to be the altimate authority on the subject.We old dog geezers are always a step ahead of the pups.MERRY CHRISTMAS,HO<HO<HO

Last edited by B G Racing; 12/25/08 10:46 AM.
Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: moparniac] #174190
12/25/08 09:35 AM
12/25/08 09:35 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
WedgeOmatic, excellant diagram and chart. Pretty much what I said on my post, and on the 10 or so other times I have posted on this. They call "working angle" what I call "u-joint" angle, but the result is the same. The chart is a touch more aggressive than I posted, but I certainly wouldn't argue with it. I also shoot for an absolute max of 10* on any "working angle", so on leaf spring cars that have high angles I will limit spring wrap-up with Cal-Tracs, slappers, etc. Good work on the chart, and Merry Christmas!

Re: Measuring pinion angle for Dana 60 [Re: B G Racing] #174191
12/25/08 09:41 AM
12/25/08 09:41 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Now, Bob, if we can get people to grasp that pinion angle has absolutely squat to do with traction and E/T, our job here would be finished!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4