Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733142
01/21/15 08:54 PM
01/21/15 08:54 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work OP
"Little"John

PA.
IHRA tracks have the same rule too so its real hard to avoid.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733143
01/22/15 01:26 AM
01/22/15 01:26 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

IHRA tracks have the same rule too so its real hard to avoid.

Yep......pretty much every drag racing organization there is, follows SFI rules on safety. Any track affiliated with these orgs is SUPPOSED to enforce the rules. Now whether they do or not is subject to debate. So this is NOT just an NHRA problem, seeing as every major and minor org uses the same rules. So the choice is follow the rules, stay home, or go to a track with no tech or affiliations.

Also why I said the petition was useless..............because guys are petitioning the WRONG people, as this has NOTHING to do with NHRA.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733144
01/22/15 02:03 AM
01/22/15 02:03 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
You damn A well that the NHRA can accept or decline
any or all or the SFI rules or suggest anything they
want... they just go with the WHOLE SFI package..
I'm sure if SFI were to test 5 year old nasty looking
belts they would come up with the SAME failure rate
as nice looking new or 2 year old belts.. but companies
pay money to be SFI certed

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733145
01/22/15 02:57 AM
01/22/15 02:57 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I understand that.........but WHY is it that NHRA is the only villain here. Where is the "up in arms" and threats against AHRA, IHRA, PDRA, NMCA, NMRA, ARCA, NTTPA, World of Outlaws and virtually EVERY other sanctioning body in the world. NHRA is just the EASY target and everybody wants to pile on. You see many here railing against the NHRA, yet praising how great the IHRA is on other threads........same rules

And of course companies pay to have their belts approved by SFI, if they didn't, who is going to buy them, seeing they wouldn't be legal anywhere.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733146
01/22/15 03:05 AM
01/22/15 03:05 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I understand that.........but WHY is it that NHRA is the only villain here. Where is the "up in arms" and threats against AHRA, IHRA, PDRA, NMCA, NMRA, ARCA, NTTPA, World of Outlaws and virtually EVERY other sanctioning body in the world. NHRA is just the EASY target and everybody wants to pile on. You see many here railing against the NHRA, yet praising how great the IHRA is on other threads........same rules

And of course companies pay to have their belts approved by SFI, if they didn't, who is going to buy them, seeing they wouldn't be legal anywhere.

Monte

The IHRA doesnt hold to the 9.99 for the license..
but they pretty much else follow the NHRA rule book..
I would basically say they did that because it was there
and already in effect... and yes ANY of them could
and CAN say something else

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733147
01/22/15 07:26 AM
01/22/15 07:26 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

want...

So.. does the Hellcat have an SFI balancer? Aftermarket axles? Trans shield? How about a rollbar?

Oh I see.

NHRA can do anything they want. If I build a low 11 second car, I'm required to have a rollbar but if I buy a Hellcat not so much.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733148
01/22/15 01:32 PM
01/22/15 01:32 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
It more or less comes down to who you are and if they want you to come to there Track and race.The small tracks have to operate like the Big Time NHRA Tracks.Think about it they are not gonna throw JFR or DSR out if they bend the rules a little!
If no racers show up at the track to race,just how long are they going to stay in business?People sit back and tell us Racers nobody cares what we think or do,well if all of us stick together and do not race at there Tracks unless they have a Big NHRA or IHRA race to keep them in business with 15-20 cars showing up each week to race they go belly up!It has already been proven the Tracks can not only stay in business with just racers and only a hand full of spectators but do just fine.If they pack the stands with spectators and have no racers,things do not go very well for them.
I can not speak for anyone other than myself,but I am only going to race at the Tracks were they come up and tell me they are Glad to see me and Happy to have me there.Not some where where they think they are doing me a favor by letting me be there and want me to jump through hoops to please them.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733149
01/22/15 03:59 PM
01/22/15 03:59 PM
Staten Island, NY
R
RO23dave Offline
enthusiast
RO23dave  Offline
enthusiast
R

Staten Island, NY
One thing i fail to see anybody mention, and, i haven't verified it as fact, but wasn't the 2 year rule enacted due to NJ State Police, and, NJ Law requiring race cars to have belts current date within 2 years. Just my opinion, but, NHRA, couldn't just have NJ racers, replace belts, every 2 years, so just make it apply to all racers, so everybody is compliant. Example, if another racer, from another division, came to NJ, not knowing the rule, and, his division had a 5 year rule, he'd fail tech. So E-Town, and Atco, are the affected tracks. Just my Dave ss/ea #1355

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733150
01/22/15 04:11 PM
01/22/15 04:11 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

want...

So.. does the Hellcat have an SFI balancer? Aftermarket axles? Trans shield? How about a rollbar?

Oh I see.

NHRA can do anything they want. If I build a low 11 second car, I'm required to have a rollbar but if I buy a Hellcat not so much.

What does factory cars have to do with ANYTHING........but to answer your question. You can do anything you want with your new Hellcat.......BUT, if you plan on running it at a sanctioned racetrack of ANY organization, it better meet safety standards.

You can go to the Suzuki dealer, plunk down your hard earned cash and ride that Hyabusa off the lot with no helmet, flip flops, shorts and no shirt. The salesman could care less about your dumb azz. Take it to the track and expect to ride it down and you will have a helmet, leathers and gloves or you DON'T go down........these are fairly simple concepts to grasp

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733151
01/22/15 04:33 PM
01/22/15 04:33 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

want...

Oh I see.

What does factory cars have to do with ANYTHING........but to answer your question. You can do anything you want with your new Hellcat.......BUT, if you plan on running it at a sanctioned racetrack of ANY organization, it better meet safety standards.

You can go to the Suzuki dealer, plunk down your hard earned cash and ride that Hyabusa off the lot with no helmet, flip flops, shorts and no shirt. The salesman could care less about your dumb azz. Take it to the track and expect to ride it down and you will have a helmet, leathers and gloves or you DON'T go down........these are fairly simple concepts to grasp

Monte

I totally agree with the belt rule....but what is disconcerting is NHRA has ruled that SFI equipment in the newer models is not needed due to the safety features installed and in place from the Factories.....found this over on Class Racer...???? Just do a search over there.

Rickster

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733152
01/22/15 04:48 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

What does factory cars have to do with ANYTHING........

Clearly you are unaware that NHRA has waived certain rules for 2008 and up vehicles.

I have to have a rollbar in my GTX to run low 11's but Hellcats are exempt till 9.99

"Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733153
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Quote:

It more or less comes down to who you are and if they want you to come to there Track and race.The small tracks have to operate like the Big Time NHRA Tracks.Think about it they are not gonna throw JFR or DSR out if they bend the rules a little!
If no racers show up at the track to race,just how long are they going to stay in business?People sit back and tell us Racers nobody cares what we think or do,well if all of us stick together and do not race at there Tracks unless they have a Big NHRA or IHRA race to keep them in business with 15-20 cars showing up each week to race they go belly up!It has already been proven the Tracks can not only stay in business with just racers and only a hand full of spectators but do just fine.If they pack the stands with spectators and have no racers,things do not go very well for them.
I can not speak for anyone other than myself,but I am only going to race at the Tracks were they come up and tell me they are Glad to see me and Happy to have me there.Not some where where they think they are doing me a favor by letting me be there and want me to jump through hoops to please them.

So are you saying we should only race at some marginal, backwater track where we know the tech guys who let you slide? Just inferring that but that's kind of what it sounds like. Correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, NHRA cares about image and attendance at their events but not at the expense bodily harm or fatalities to their racers caused by compromised safety equipment.

Also, comparing weekend warrior/sportsman racers to an operation like Force or DSR is silly. Would you get into a Top Fuel car with out of date belts? I wouldn't. I bet they change harnesses and belts pretty often.

Regardless, those guys are subject to the rules just like everyone else. They can either comply or not but my guess is that it would be very costly for them NOT to be in compliance.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733154
01/22/15 05:02 PM
01/22/15 05:02 PM
Renton Washington
T
Triple Threat Offline
master
Triple Threat  Offline
master
T

Renton Washington
Quote:

Quote:

What does factory cars have to do with ANYTHING........

Clearly you are unaware that NHRA has waived certain rules for 2008 and up vehicles.

I have to have a rollbar in my GTX to run low 11's but Hellcats are exempt till 9.99

"Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

Fairly certain if I had to choose i'd rather wreck a 2008+ newer model car on the strip over my own stuff with a rollcage and harnesses. I'd bet I walk away with less injuries.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Triple Threat] #1733155
01/22/15 05:18 PM
01/22/15 05:18 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Fairly certain if I had to choose i'd rather wreck a 2008+ newer model car on the strip over my own stuff with a rollcage and harnesses.

So the guy with the 2007 car is just S.O.L. right?

Unequal application of the rules, aka NHRA doing what they want.

Good luck with that.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733156
01/22/15 05:45 PM
01/22/15 05:45 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

want...

Oh I see.

Monte

we will not be happy till you sign the petition so stop fighting us

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: sixpackgut] #1733157
01/22/15 05:49 PM
01/22/15 05:49 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

we will not be happy till you sign the petition so stop fighting us

Do you like poking aggitated grizzly bears, too?

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: RMCHRGR] #1733158
01/22/15 05:52 PM
01/22/15 05:52 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

So are you saying we should only race at some marginal, backwater track where we know the tech guys who let you slide? Just inferring that but that's kind of what it sounds like. Correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, NHRA cares about image and attendance at their events but not at the expense bodily harm or fatalities to their racers caused by compromised safety equipment.

Also, comparing weekend warrior/sportsman racers to an operation like Force or DSR is silly. Would you get into a Top Fuel car with out of date belts? I wouldn't. I bet they change harnesses and belts pretty often.

Regardless, those guys are subject to the rules just like everyone else. They can either comply or not but my guess is that it would be very costly for them NOT to be in compliance.

Does this look like a marginal back water track to you?This is one of not just the Best Tracks in the South but the nation!Like I said its the Racer you are that dictates what you can & can't do.

8404784-mmp05.jpg (83 downloads)

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733159
01/22/15 05:56 PM
01/22/15 05:56 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Quote:

want... they just go with the WHOLE SFI package.

And they will continue to do so.

2 words. Liability. Insurance.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733160
01/22/15 06:46 PM
01/22/15 06:46 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does this look like a marginal back water track to you?This is one of not just the Best Tracks in the South but the nation!Like I said its the Racer you are that dictates what you can & can't do.

How could we tell ANYTHING about the track in question, from THAT tiny pic.........other than the fact that tech and safety take a back seat there, because they are allowing you to race a dragster with a t-shirt and no gloves. Or are you saying because of "who you are" they let you by with this.........Either way, sounds pretty "back water" to me............But I will take a shot......Montgomery?

And if that IS Montgomery......while a decent track, it is far from one of the nicest tracks in the nation. You need to get out more...............LOL!!!..........but Jackie DOES plant pretty flowers there..........LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733161
01/22/15 07:01 PM
01/22/15 07:01 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work OP
"Little"John

PA.
I will throw another example of NHRA and IHRA lack of rule consistencies. Here I am running 8's or 9's with my certified chassis, window net, fire suit, neck collar, fire proof shoes, yada, yada, yada. Now we enter our Gamblers race at both NHRA and IHRA tracks and race against motorcycles. Bike against bike has a fair chance at survival, car against bike and something goes wrong how do you think that spells out. NOT SO GOOD FOR THE BIKER. But it goes on year after year at the same tracks were God forbid our seat belts are expired. Were are the insurance companies on this policy.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13