Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733222
01/24/15 02:19 AM
01/24/15 02:19 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
If this "outdoor Exposure" is such a problem,
and it seems according to the supplied chart that deterioration is fairly linear,
and it seems most here do not have much, if any "outdoor exposure",
and those same people feel a 2 year life cycle in their own case is therefore foolish,

Why not incorporate a tattletale UV exposure color changing thread/strip/indicator? into the belt and make it a simple pass/fail, and no longer time based?

I'm sure the technology exists.

Oh I forgot, no money to be made.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: rickstershemi] #1733223
01/24/15 02:26 AM
01/24/15 02:26 AM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Go to any big money five-day bracket race and you will find dragsters and roadsters sitting outside in the sun all day long for the entire week....covered with tarps only over-night....some of these teams carry 4-5 dragsters in a trailer....they don't put them away every night....they would rather party

And these guys race week after week chasing the big buck races....they get their share of wear&tear

Rickster

Have you got a dragster???? I have 2 of them a 2012 & 2014 both purpose built T/D,and have owned dragsters since 1990 and can tell you 1st hand you can not leave the cage & seat uncovered all day in the hot sun or the seat,steering wheel and every daymn thing else will be so hot you can not set down in them or touch anything!Most times at the Big $$$ Bracket Races we carry 2 dragsters & 3 door-cars and put all 5 of them back in the trailers.And I have never noticed people leaving their cars out all night while they are gone partying!But to be honest I have never rode through the pits at night to see if anyone has left there cars out.But I do know this for certain you let a dragster set out in the hot sun very long when you set your a$$ down it,it will be like putting an egg in a hot frying fan. Ask me how I know that.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733224
01/24/15 02:30 AM
01/24/15 02:30 AM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I have to ask how many of you racers come back and put your cars back in the shop or leave them in your enclosed trailer and take the belts out of them and throw them outside on the ground till next week?That is the only way I see them being in direct sun light 24 7 365 days a year.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733225
01/24/15 02:39 AM
01/24/15 02:39 AM
Tucson AZ,
M
MadMopars Offline
pro stock
MadMopars  Offline
pro stock
M

Tucson AZ,
Quote:

Quote:

But I do know this for certain you let a dragster set out in the hot sun very long when you set your a$$ down it,it will be like putting an egg in a hot frying fan. Ask me how I know that.

Is it because your track let's you race in cut off shorts? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: jcc] #1733226
01/24/15 02:41 AM
01/24/15 02:41 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I'll buy that the 3" race belts are better than the factory 2" belts. Though I highly doubt the factory attachment systems that are tested over and over, built with crush zones are not as good. But that's all a moot point. Why do the threads and material go bad in racecar belts from exposure while pass car belts don't? Do you think if they failed after 2 years of exposure the National Highway Traffic Safety administration would allow the auto company's to build cars with them??????????????? Can you say recall? Maybe the rule will stay, maybe not. What happened when the NHRA was going to require window nets to be replaced every 2 years, same materials, thread and exposure. It was rescinded. Apparently the fact that nets are in the window causes them to last longer,LOL. The rule is wrong plain and simple.
Doug

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733227
01/24/15 10:54 AM
01/24/15 10:54 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
what is the webbing material[and thread] for [car and or load] tie downs made from, and what is the DOT expiration[if any] ? i'm not talking cheap, offshore harbor freight stuff. these see more abusive use than any seat belt ever will. i know most of the belt material is stiffer than seat belt webbing, but what about the thread used ? if thread degradation is the main issue, and the thread used on tie downs is superior, couldn't this be a good argument to extend the replacement cycle ?

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: moparx] #1733228
01/24/15 11:34 AM
01/24/15 11:34 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
This is a direct copy from an e mail question I asked SFI. IMO if the material is only good for two years USE A BETTER MATERIAL!

"The life of the harness certification is due to the known properties of webbing and the relatively rapid degradation over time. There have been many studies, including those by the U.S. Army, the NTSB, Industry associations, and SFI. Some of these studies are summarized in the attached document."

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MadMopars] #1733229
01/24/15 01:15 PM
01/24/15 01:15 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But I do know this for certain you let a dragster set out in the hot sun very long when you set your a$$ down it,it will be like putting an egg in a hot frying fan. Ask me how I know that.

Is it because your track let's you race in cut off shorts? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I would prefer you did not admire my legs. I know what you meant thats what racing all about "The Thrill,The Fun and Hopes Of Winning" If it ever gets to the point and it has been there before that I no longer have fun and enjoy racing,that when I will quit racing,if anything is no fun I'm no longer going to do it!

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733230
01/24/15 01:23 PM
01/24/15 01:23 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I just don't believe when we tighten down our belts we put any stress what so ever on them big 3" belts like some suggest.Think about it you want them snug,but do you think you could stand the pressure if someone grab them and pulled them tight enough to come any where close to doing any damage to them.
If anyone thinks they can stand the pressure I will be more than happy to snug their belts up on them.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733231
01/24/15 01:37 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Quote:

By the way underwear over two years old should be replaced according to reports released by Hanes.

Underwear should never be thought of as a safety device...

A containment device, maybe...

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: justinp61] #1733232
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

This is a direct copy from an e mail question I asked SFI. IMO if the material is only good for two years USE A BETTER MATERIAL!

"The life of the harness certification is due to the known properties of webbing and the relatively rapid degradation over time. There have been many studies, including those by the U.S. Army, the NTSB, Industry associations, and SFI. Some of these studies are summarized in the attached document."

Perhaps they should use the same thread as the factory belts (Ford, Chrysler, GM) as they don't see to degrade in 2 years.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733233
01/24/15 01:52 PM
01/24/15 01:52 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Frankly factory belt specs really don't matter. They are NEVER tight, except in the case of an impact, which may be never. They are not pulled and tugged on through tightening clamps hundreds of times. They are not stressed at the point of attachment, at some odd angles and they are NOT designed to keep YOU and your SEAT, anchored in a car in the event of a high speed........like 200+ mph impact. The vast majority of "street" accidents are at speeds of 40 mph or less. The majority of racing accidents are at speeds in excess of 100mph.

Simple question......if your "street" car were capable of the speeds that your "race" car is, would you be confident in your factory restraint system keeping you in the car, in the event of a high speed crash. If your answer to that is yes.........well I guess that makes you a much braver man than me. Because my answer would be HELL NO. And I don't car if you can pick up a Sherman tank with a stock seat belt......I wouldn't trust it in my race car. Somebody mentioned junkyards pulling motors with stock seat belts..........well I would HOPE so, seeing the average small block is less than 600lbs. When we used to go "junking" all the time, I have pulled motors with some old pieces of rope we found lying around. You know what that means......NOTHING.......unless of course that signifies that we should trust a piece of old rope to be "good enough".........after all, you can pull a motor with it.

Monte

Monte... maybe you dont know what the hell your talking
about... BELTS are a containment system.. in your
street car or race car... a street car uses a 2" system
and the race car uses a 3" system... both do the SAME
damn job... the cage keeps you from the big hurt..
I quit.... whether I were to supply you with data
I would be full of SH!T...as usual you MUST be right...
BUT I totally disagree

You didn't answer my question...........In the event of a high speed crash, at "track" speeds, do you think the "containment" system in your everyday car would be good enough to keep you and the seat in place...........simple question with a yes or no answer.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733234
01/24/15 02:00 PM
01/24/15 02:00 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
I leave my belts outside but it rains every damn day so theyre still good

8406410-0124151054.jpg (39 downloads)
Last edited by sixpackgut; 01/24/15 02:02 PM.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733235
01/24/15 02:03 PM
01/24/15 02:03 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Frankly factory belt specs really don't matter. They are NEVER tight, except in the case of an impact, which may be never. They are not pulled and tugged on through tightening clamps hundreds of times. They are not stressed at the point of attachment, at some odd angles and they are NOT designed to keep YOU and your SEAT, anchored in a car in the event of a high speed........like 200+ mph impact. The vast majority of "street" accidents are at speeds of 40 mph or less. The majority of racing accidents are at speeds in excess of 100mph.

Simple question......if your "street" car were capable of the speeds that your "race" car is, would you be confident in your factory restraint system keeping you in the car, in the event of a high speed crash. If your answer to that is yes.........well I guess that makes you a much braver man than me. Because my answer would be HELL NO. And I don't car if you can pick up a Sherman tank with a stock seat belt......I wouldn't trust it in my race car. Somebody mentioned junkyards pulling motors with stock seat belts..........well I would HOPE so, seeing the average small block is less than 600lbs. When we used to go "junking" all the time, I have pulled motors with some old pieces of rope we found lying around. You know what that means......NOTHING.......unless of course that signifies that we should trust a piece of old rope to be "good enough".........after all, you can pull a motor with it.

Monte

Monte... maybe you dont know what the hell your talking
about... BELTS are a containment system.. in your
street car or race car... a street car uses a 2" system
and the race car uses a 3" system... both do the SAME
damn job... the cage keeps you from the big hurt..
I quit.... whether I were to supply you with data
I would be full of SH!T...as usual you MUST be right...
BUT I totally disagree

You didn't answer my question...........In the event of a high speed crash, at "track" speeds, do you think the "containment" system in your everyday car would be good enough to keep you and the seat in place...........simple question with a yes or no answer.

Monte

I would say yes.... you seem to think you are hitting
something at 200 mph... no one pulled a concrete
wall out into the middle of the lane...you are hitting
at some angle(unknown) so the actual impact speed
might be 100 mph(just a number) but it isnt a head
on crash.. so yes I believe the standard 2" belts
would keep the driver in the seat

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733236
01/24/15 02:27 PM
01/24/15 02:27 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I will have to agree with Mr_P as it is not uncommon for someone in a passenger car to be running 60-70 mph and some idiot coming from the other direction be running 60-70 mph and veer into there lane and hit them head on and that would be equal to 120-140 mph head on crash into a concrete wall......"And It Happens All The Time"!And more passenger cars are left out in the sun than race cars and yet the 2" factory belts are good for life,no need to ever replace!

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733237
01/24/15 02:40 PM
01/24/15 02:40 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
The more I give this subject more thought the more I think were getting screwed so seat belt manufactures can keep cranking out belts.

If the thread is subpar then use a better grade of thread. This of course would reduce sales if the date is extended to 5 years.

The car manufactures clearly are making a quality seat belt as they would be sued into oblivion if they did not and someone was injured and a belt was to blame.

As always, follow the money.

How many people are using tie downs and tow straps from the same thread? The only ones I have ever seen damaged were from cuts & abrasion from years of use and abuse.

Pulling on belts cause them to be worn out? Get real. A lovers kiss compared the banging around some belts see in circle track cars. I have a buddy who raced short track cars and he would have bruises from the belts and wall impacts.

I guess I should throw out my hold down straps every two years if they are made from the same thread, after all SFI claims the material is junk after two years. I guess I'm really pushing my luck with 6 year old straps holding down a 4000 pound car.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733238
01/24/15 02:46 PM
01/24/15 02:46 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
A 2" belt has plenty of strength to do what they are
called to do... the reason for the 3" belt is to spread
the load out on the persons body

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733239
01/24/15 02:56 PM
01/24/15 02:56 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
The solution is simple and been pointed out numerous times. DONT RACE or find a nice little outlaw track to run at. We know one person posting loves to run at places where safety is not a big concern and a couple of the others posting seldom if ever hit a race track. This is getting a bit old and if a $70 set of seatbelts every couple of years is what keeps you from racing then for gods sake FIND A NEW HOBBIE

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Al_Alguire] #1733240
01/24/15 03:01 PM
01/24/15 03:01 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

The solution is simple and been pointed out numerous times. DONT RACE or find a nice little outlaw track to run at. We know one person posting loves to run at places where safety is not a big concern and a couple of the others posting seldom if ever hit a race track. This is getting a bit old and if a $70 set of seatbelts every couple of years is what keeps you from racing then for gods sake FIND A NEW HOBBIE

This is not the problem/issue at all... the thing
that some are TRYING to do is get the time frame
changed... I myself dont see ANY problem trying to
do it... if you never try.. it sure wont ever happen

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Al_Alguire] #1733241
01/24/15 03:11 PM
01/24/15 03:11 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

If what other Racers do or don't do with or too there race cars really stress's you out all that bad then maybe its you who should find another Hobby!

PS I do not run cheap belts in my cars I run the Hi $$$ cam lock belts in my cars,it takes to long to un-latch the cheaper kind,but thats the only thing they are still just as good.And yes I could afford to change the Daymn Belts every year if I chose,but it just does not make sense to have to,the only reason it is being done is too pad some "Fat Cats" pocket!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 01/24/15 03:25 PM.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13