Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: rickstershemi] #1733102
01/20/15 12:59 AM
01/20/15 12:59 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
[quote

It's been stripped of anything he could salvage to go into his new 68 Camaro Roadster.

Funny car cage keeps you in when the belts brake right? Opps no cage. Like a helmet will save your life when crashing a mortocycle at 100 mph

Rickster

Last edited by cudaman1969; 01/20/15 01:04 AM.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: cudaman1969] #1733103
01/20/15 01:08 AM
01/20/15 01:08 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I didn't realize this belt problem was so widespread, I'm surprised we don't soon see a 1 year replacement policy. I mean its all about safety about what might happen, especially by the dumbest of the sport.

"let them eat cake"

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: jcc] #1733104
01/20/15 01:16 AM
01/20/15 01:16 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
And yet NHRA lets guys continue to lock up their brakes skidding thru the lights at every race. And don't get me started about racers smoking pot to calm their nerves on race day and seat belts that are sooooo lose they can turn the whole way around in the drivers seat.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733105
01/20/15 01:42 AM
01/20/15 01:42 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

All saddled up and done here.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1733106
01/20/15 01:45 AM
01/20/15 01:45 AM
Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
chryco Offline
super stock
chryco  Offline
super stock

Winnipeg ,Mb. CA.
SIGNED !

Gas is fer washin' parts ....Alky`s fer drinkin' ...Nitro`s fer Racin'!
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733107
01/20/15 01:46 AM
01/20/15 01:46 AM
IL
knyech1 Offline
mopar
knyech1  Offline
mopar

IL
Quote:

I have no problem with safety or buying safety equipment. That's why I have more than required. What I do have issue with as does everyone else is "planned obsolescence" Otherwise known as SFI recerts. When you cert your car they don't even look at cage welds, yet require my tig welded chrome moly cage to be rechecked for thickness every 3 years? How many "cold fusion" certed cages have you seen? What makes it worse is that once you've spent the money nobody checks anyway. Tech?, give them your tech card and roll into the staging lanes. Yet they worry about 2 year belts? Get real.
Doug

I don't even know how they could tell if you TIG welded your moly cage or not. It's funny that it's a requirement. I have welded cages with a MIG, just made sure I used 100% Ar. No way you could tell, filler material was the same composition.

Quote:

And YET you say you can't afford to race your own car. Lets hear your story after you pay for gas money, entry fees, maintenance, and everything else required for supporting your car with your monies. Its more of a nuisance to me as I have 3 cars, two of which will hit the track this year. The part that bothers me the most is its a "money grab" and to keep the sponsors happy. I really feel for the guys that hit 1 or 2 Mopar races a year only to need belts again. My cars are teched by IHRA and NHRA officials and if while checking my belt certs needed replaced before the 5 year period I would have a new set in before next weeks race.

I am that guy. I make 1 race a year and 2 if I have the money (rare). I am just another guy, like the other 90% of the ppl out there that want to participate in blood pumping fun racing LEGALLY and the only way to do it is in a controlled environment, unless you want to get arrested. I don't go out to win, I go out for the fun and the camaraderie and to be part of the sport. My car is slow, not fast enough to require a 2 year belt rule, and on a single income family, yet have to pay for belts every 2 years. It sucks throwing away brand new belts, and not being able to put the money where it needs to be. I agree with Mr. P; 5 year old belts will still break the human body in two.

knyech1- '71 Sassy Grass Demon 340/904. Pump gas, 1.61 60ft, 7.439 1/8 @ 95mph, 11.824 1/4 @ 111mph "Not too bad for a pump gas 340, full of used parts and hillbilly ported stock heads." - V.B. '03 2500 5.9L HO 6-spd on 35's. 395hp/755ft-lb at tires.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733108
01/20/15 12:32 PM
01/20/15 12:32 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem with safety or buying safety equipment. That's why I have more than required. What I do have issue with as does everyone else is "planned obsolescence" Otherwise known as SFI recerts. When you cert your car they don't even look at cage welds, yet require my tig welded chrome moly cage to be rechecked for thickness every 3 years? How many "cold fusion" certed cages have you seen? What makes it worse is that once you've spent the money nobody checks anyway. Tech?, give them your tech card and roll into the staging lanes. Yet they worry about 2 year belts? Get real.
Doug

The fact that tech doesn't check stuff, is nobodys fault but that particular tech staff. Every police officer I see doesn't check my license and insurance card either, but that doesn't negate that fact that I am supposed to have it in case they do. Certain tracks are notoriously tough on tech at a weekly race, some aren't. But when we were running Super Stock and went to national events, there was NOTHING that didn't get checked. The Division 2 guy that does our cage certs, goes over every weld and every bar with a fine tooth comb. Do all of them......highly unlikely, but HE does. And the reason that your cage is certed every two years, is because guys are constantly working on cars and changing things, which may include welding on the chassis. Welding on a certed chassis, within the confines of the inspection portion of the structure, negates the current sticker and they KNOW most are not going to call up and say "hey, I welded on my car and I need to have it checked"......so as with most things, they make that call FOR you, by having scheduled cert expirations.

And as far as all these regulations, as already pointed out, but nobody seems to care, is that NHRA does NOT set the certs, SFI does and NHRA chooses to follow those guidelines. For some reason all the "conspiracy theory" guys, seem to think it is all some grand plan by the NHRA to milk you out of money, when it really doesn't have anything to do with them. This where the "kickbacks" and "under the table money" guys start telling us how it really works. Well ok, if that's what you think fine. But SFI is an independent organization that NHRA, NTPA(as well as most pulling orgs), most drag boat orgs, World of Outlaws and dozens of other racing organizations follow. If you have an issue with a time line........SFI is who you should complain to, not NHRA. Everybody brings up NASCAR...........well they DON'T use SFI, they set their own standards and have the money behind them to fund it and do their own testing. NHRA doesn't.

And if you want to know what orgs use SFI standards, go to the SFI site and look under "coalition members" and it tells you

Monte

Here you go again preaching to the ones of us who have a race car about spending the extra $$$ and your Daymn car is not even running!!! There ain't no way in Hell I'm gonna take advice from anybody about my race car that does not even have a running/race ready race car! It seems the people who do not have to buy the useless sh*t,because they do not have a car or their car is not fast enough are the ones who are always pushing and wanting all of the stoopid A$$ rules. Ya'll say if you can afford to build a $80,000.00-$100,000.00 you can afford all these little piss A$$ $150.00-$250.00 parts that we don't need.I say after we have done spent $100,000 on our race car with all the latest greatest stuff,we need to keep our $$$ to race.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733109
01/20/15 12:44 PM
01/20/15 12:44 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

The Division 2 guy that does our cage certs, goes over every weld and every bar with a fine tooth comb. Do all of them......highly unlikely, but HE does.

And what does this prove? Nothing unless he has x-ray vision.

A friend of mine welds professionally for a living and he has shown me examples of welding that looks great.. till you put the pipe in a vise and pull on it and it breaks.

I find someone "looking" at a weld of dubious value after his hands on demonstration.

Oh I'm against the 2 year rule as well. Belts that are brand spanking new in the box are junk due to a date but you can race with 40 or 50 year old factory belts. Madness.

Another reason I don't race as much as I use to and the rules being unevenly applied at certain tracks.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733110
01/20/15 02:02 PM
01/20/15 02:02 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

The fact that tech doesn't check stuff, is nobodys fault but that particular tech staff. Every police officer I see doesn't check my license and insurance card either, but that doesn't negate that fact that I am supposed to have it in case they do. Certain tracks are notoriously tough on tech at a weekly race, some aren't. But when we were running Super Stock and went to national events, there was NOTHING that didn't get checked. The Division 2 guy that does our cage certs, goes over every weld and every bar with a fine tooth comb. Do all of them......highly unlikely, but HE does. And the reason that your cage is certed every two years, is because guys are constantly working on cars and changing things, which may include welding on the chassis. Welding on a certed chassis, within the confines of the inspection portion of the structure, negates the current sticker and they KNOW most are not going to call up and say "hey, I welded on my car and I need to have it checked"......so as with most things, they make that call FOR you, by having scheduled cert expirations.

And as far as all these regulations, as already pointed out, but nobody seems to care, is that NHRA does NOT set the certs, SFI does and NHRA chooses to follow those guidelines. For some reason all the "conspiracy theory" guys, seem to think it is all some grand plan by the NHRA to milk you out of money, when it really doesn't have anything to do with them. This where the "kickbacks" and "under the table money" guys start telling us how it really works. Well ok, if that's what you think fine. But SFI is an independent organization that NHRA, NTPA(as well as most pulling orgs), most drag boat orgs, World of Outlaws and dozens of other racing organizations follow. If you have an issue with a time line........SFI is who you should complain to, not NHRA. Everybody brings up NASCAR...........well they DON'T use SFI, they set their own standards and have the money behind them to fund it and do their own testing. NHRA doesn't.

And if you want to know what orgs use SFI standards, go to the SFI site and look under "coalition members" and it tells you

Monte

Here you go again preaching to the ones of us who have a race car about spending the extra $$$ and your Daymn car is not even running!!! There ain't no way in Hell I'm gonna take advice from anybody about my race car that does not even have a running/race ready race car! It seems the people who do not have to buy the useless sh*t,because they do not have a car or their car is not fast enough are the ones who are always pushing and wanting all of the stoopid A$$ rules. Ya'll say if you can afford to build a $80,000.00-$100,000.00 you can afford all these little piss A$$ $150.00-$250.00 parts that we don't need.I say after we have done spent $100,000 on our race car with all the latest greatest stuff,we need to keep our $$$ to race.

I already said ALL my safety gear was current.............and you are not going to listen to me......fine, I could care less, do whatever you want. But YOU yourself admitted on this board, to driving your dragster, wearing only a T-shirt and sneakers, because it was too hot. So we already seem to understand your point of view on safety gear.......because yeah, you're right, if you are not even gonna wear a jacket, shoes and gloves, having to buy new belts sure don't make much sense. So I stand corrected......you're right.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733111
01/20/15 02:31 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck and all that, but in reality you have 3 choices. Put belts in every 2 years, run at outlaw tracks or stay home. It's their playground, their rules.

I'm not a big cheerleader for NHRA, but I've raced at tracks with zero tech and I've done tech at an NHRA track. Both experiences were often times very scary. With everything else that it takes to go racing, a lousy set of belts is way down the list of crap for me to lose sleep over. They're a consumable, like tires, gaskets, fuel, oil.

Without safety being a priority, there is no insurance. Without insurance, there is no racing. Why do you think your new street car has all the safety devices and designs built in? Lawyers and insurance companies.

This right here. This rule has been this way for years and is not going to be changed. Guys have class cars that cost up to 100k and complaining about a $150 set of belts every two years...........ok then. You want to start a petition, how about something that you MIGHT actually have a chance with.........like maybe lower entry fees for sportsman classes.

I have NEVER understood the uproar over this deal

Monte

Sometimes I think if you actually owned and RACED your own car you might think differently but then again maybe not. MOST of us are small-time racers on small time budgets. Have a nice day.

I find it humorous what guys THINK they KNOW. I have raced my whole life, just because I am currently not racing my own car, don't amount to SQUAT. I make plenty of runs over the course of a season, just not in MY car at this time. But when I was, you know what, I put belts in my car every two years, because it was the damn rules and never complained about it. I had my chassis certed when they said I needed to. When they said my Simpson helmet was no longer legal because it was out of date, but didn't have a scratch, I bought a new one. When they said I needed a -15 suit for a nitrous car, I bought one........So now I have a -15 suit, I have fire boots instead of my sneakers, I have a Hans device and -20 gloves......why, because it is the rules, plus I am pretty fond of keeping my extremities intact. I wear all that gear, regardless the ETs the car I am driving runs. And when it expires, I will get more.

If a $150 set of belts over the course of two years is a deal breaker......maybe you need a new hobby. That amounts to a few less trips through the drive thru or the beer store over a couple years.

Monte

And YET you say you can't afford to race your own car. Lets hear your story after you pay for gas money, entry fees, maintenance, and everything else required for supporting your car with your monies. Its more of a nuisance to me as I have 3 cars, two of which will hit the track this year. The part that bothers me the most is its a "money grab" and to keep the sponsors happy. I really feel for the guys that hit 1 or 2 Mopar races a year only to need belts again. My cars are teched by IHRA and NHRA officials and if while checking my belt certs needed replaced before the 5 year period I would have a new set in before next weeks race.

I never said I couldn't afford to race my car. What I DID say was that I couldn't afford to cough up about 40k at one time for the motor I want. I have a couple motors I could put in it just to "get to" the track, but that isn't what I want to do. So for now it sits until I gather the parts for it to be like I want it. I am a working guy, just like everyone else. Now, I could sell my truck and trailer and buy smaller and cheaper. I could sell my boat, my bike, my jeep, some guns and likely a bunch of other "toys" I have accumulated over the years. I could stop taking my girl out to eat as much, or buying her stuff...........lots of things I COULD do, but I choose not to at this point. I will have the parts, when I have them and won't sacrifice other things I WANT to do in the process.

Monte

You need to stop spending so much on your girl and get a mopar motor in that GTX

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733112
ontario canada kingston
aspenrt360 Offline
super stock
aspenrt360  Offline
super stock

ontario canada kingston
the nhra lost track of the little guy a long time ago which will lead to the death of the sport soon enough. one day someone will come along to fill he void they leave because there are a lot of folks that want to run. you see it all the time in the grass roots armdrop events that pop up at tracks that are starving for events. we have a track here that runs races that can't bring 20 cars to a test and tune the night before a race and less than 50 cars to the race. why it costs too much money! hell they would charge for the air you breath if they could. another event that we have locally is run at an airstrip with insurance and ambulance present there is tech as well. it costs 20 bucks to run what you drove up in and get as many runs in as you like. last event had at least 250 cars and a couple of thousand spectators. it has been building for a couple of years now. a lot of the cars are race cars that had stopped running due to costs now they are back and loving it again. it is heads up racing if you win great if not tough but everybody seems to be having a really good time!

2013 Chrysler 300 touring 1974 Dodge Charger SE. 360-727-8.75-3.23 sure grip 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733113
01/20/15 03:00 PM
01/20/15 03:00 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Monte

I already said ALL my safety gear was current.............and you are not going to listen to me......fine, I could care less, do whatever you want. But YOU yourself admitted on this board, to driving your dragster, wearing only a T-shirt and sneakers, because it was too hot. So we already seem to understand your point of view on safety gear.......because yeah, you're right, if you are not even gonna wear a jacket, shoes and gloves, having to buy new belts sure don't make much sense. So I stand corrected......you're right.

Monte

Monte,would you like to see the picture again?

PS Monte,I just have to ask when you put on your all of your SFI NHRA mandated neck brace,helment,butt plug,fire suit,gloves and shoes and you are setting in the staging lanes with your new $250.00 belts snugged down good & tight and you have to fart...?

8402580-mmp05.jpg (81 downloads)
Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 01/20/15 03:22 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733114
01/20/15 03:46 PM
01/20/15 03:46 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
You seem to be awfully proud of the fact, that you basically do what YOU want WHEN you want and thumb your nose at the safety rules................Then you and others seem to wonder why there are so many seemingly meaningless and arbitrary rules. If people actually FOLLOWED the rules and used some common sense, there would probably be LESS rules..........some just can't see the forest for the trees............LOL!!!

As for my own personal cares........if you feel you want to race in shorts and flip flops, makes no damn difference to me. It's your azz..............BUT, when and if you do have an accident and it is found you were not wearing your safety gear, what do you think they will do........mandate LESS because you didn't think it was required...............alrighty then.........carry on and don't get too hot now. Would hate to see that happen

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733115
01/20/15 03:58 PM
01/20/15 03:58 PM
Ohio, United States
BuckeyeBrawler Offline
BuckeyeBrawler  Offline

Ohio, United States
Quote:

Doug

That is the worst of it, when you spend hard earned dollars on the required equipment and then it's not even checked. Really ! Here's your tech card a great tech inspection.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: BuckeyeBrawler] #1733116
01/20/15 04:31 PM
01/20/15 04:31 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Looks like about 4077 people that go on different websites aren't happy with this STUPID rule. Just think if everyone that disagrees with it would sign up.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Al_Alguire] #1733117
01/20/15 04:46 PM
01/20/15 04:46 PM
Renton Washington
T
Triple Threat Offline
master
Triple Threat  Offline
master
T

Renton Washington
http://sfifoundation.com/article-2/

Given the data or findings here I dont think any amount of people signing it is going to have an impact. In the end increasing the length of time belts can be used is an insurance risk for the SFI foundation.

It sucks for people who only make a dozen passes a year, but the other side of the coin says there are guys making 300+ laps a year in their dragsters where the belts are exposed to the elements much more. In that case, replacing them more often might make sense, instead they've chosen to say if you want to play in our sand box, 2 years is all you get.

For what it's worth I signed it, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Triple Threat] #1733118
01/20/15 05:21 PM
01/20/15 05:21 PM
Kalispell Mt.
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
Happy Birthday HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here

Kalispell Mt.
Funny thing about this whole argument to me is how a salvage yard I used to deal with in tennessee would pull a 40 year old lap belt out of a car, tie the free end to a tine on the scoop of a backhoe and pick up the entire car by that strap with one anchor bolt holding it they said they done it that way for years and never saw one break. I saw them one time pull a cummins out of an old dodge tranny and all with a seat belt from a 30 year old honda accord.

If the belts they are certifying are losing 1/2 there strength in one year they need to up the standards of the belts not make you replace them every two year.

Sure they should inspect them for fraying but if a belt won't last 2 years it is a piece of garbage to begin with and should never receive a certification from SFI

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: HotRodDave] #1733119
01/20/15 06:02 PM
01/20/15 06:02 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

If the belts they are certifying are losing 1/2 there strength in one year they need to up the standards of the belts not make you replace them every two year.

Nothing but a money grab pure and simple.

Like I said- A joke that 40 year old belts that have sat out in the sun for decades are ok to make a pass with but 3 year old 3" race belts are treated as junk.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733120
01/20/15 06:55 PM
01/20/15 06:55 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I wondered if this post would turn into this. I am sceptical about a re-cert every 2 years, but with everything I spend on my equipment, another $65 to have my belts done, is nothing. It's 4 gallons of race gas. I also had a problem initially with re-certing the car every 2 years. Then on a re-cert a few years ago, they found a break in the chassis I didn't see. I'm on board with these rules. If some dufas wants to race a 6.90 car without the gear on, have at it. To me, I feel safe with it all on and current. BTW, the bi-annual renewal is how I found out I had Diabetes 15 years ago. It looks like the street race guys only wear -1 suits. Maybe that would be a good place to race with no rules. I like the show.....just sayin. JMO

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733121
01/20/15 07:00 PM
01/20/15 07:00 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
All the regulation and rules are set by the insurance companys, they want no possible chance of paying for any personal injury, hence the over kill on requirments. Just pay the premium. They spread the fear of imposing danger so its the right thing to do with every body jumping on the band wagon, if you question them on being to much, oh you the bad guy. So much safty crap in every industry in the last tweenty years its over-whelming. Before long we will need lawsuit insurance. Sadly its here to stay they own the house.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13