Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733082
01/19/15 08:28 PM
01/19/15 08:28 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck and all that, but in reality you have 3 choices. Put belts in every 2 years, run at outlaw tracks or stay home. It's their playground, their rules.

I'm not a big cheerleader for NHRA, but I've raced at tracks with zero tech and I've done tech at an NHRA track. Both experiences were often times very scary. With everything else that it takes to go racing, a lousy set of belts is way down the list of crap for me to lose sleep over. They're a consumable, like tires, gaskets, fuel, oil.

Without safety being a priority, there is no insurance. Without insurance, there is no racing. Why do you think your new street car has all the safety devices and designs built in? Lawyers and insurance companies.

This right here. This rule has been this way for years and is not going to be changed. Guys have class cars that cost up to 100k and complaining about a $150 set of belts every two years...........ok then. You want to start a petition, how about something that you MIGHT actually have a chance with.........like maybe lower entry fees for sportsman classes.

I have NEVER understood the uproar over this deal

Monte

Because of a PERFECTLY GOOD set of belt being thrown
in the trash can.. thats a good enough reason for
me... and if you REALLY THINK they are shot after
2 years... think again

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: BuckeyeBrawler] #1733083
01/19/15 08:33 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
The only way to smart rules without ties to the money purse is to start a grass roots racers association and have the tracks join. It will have to be crediable for the insurance companys to get on board and we should pay dues to have a voice in matters that arise along the way and elect the officers. It has to be run by the racers not owned by some group. I know it is a great undertaking but we're just peeing in the wind the way it stands now.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733084
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck and all that, but in reality you have 3 choices. Put belts in every 2 years, run at outlaw tracks or stay home. It's their playground, their rules.

I'm not a big cheerleader for NHRA, but I've raced at tracks with zero tech and I've done tech at an NHRA track. Both experiences were often times very scary. With everything else that it takes to go racing, a lousy set of belts is way down the list of crap for me to lose sleep over. They're a consumable, like tires, gaskets, fuel, oil.

Without safety being a priority, there is no insurance. Without insurance, there is no racing. Why do you think your new street car has all the safety devices and designs built in? Lawyers and insurance companies.

This right here. This rule has been this way for years and is not going to be changed. Guys have class cars that cost up to 100k and complaining about a $150 set of belts every two years...........ok then. You want to start a petition, how about something that you MIGHT actually have a chance with.........like maybe lower entry fees for sportsman classes.

Monte

Sometimes I think if you actually owned and RACED your own car you might think differently but then again maybe not. MOST of us are small-time racers on small time budgets. Have a nice day.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733085
01/19/15 08:56 PM
01/19/15 08:56 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Sometimes I think if you actually owned and RACED your own car you might think differently but then again maybe not. MOST of us are small-time racers on small time budgets. Have a nice day.

Monte,you have to admit he is right,I remember a while back you said you was waiting till you got up the $$$ to do your car like you wanted it!Think about it when you finally save up enough $$$ to build your car,you will not want some JackA$$ adding on more things that you don't need that cost even more $$$ that takes away from your racing!

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733086
01/19/15 09:27 PM
01/19/15 09:27 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I find it humorous what guys THINK they KNOW. I have raced my whole life, just because I am currently not racing my own car, don't amount to SQUAT. I make plenty of runs over the course of a season, just not in MY car at this time. But when I was, you know what, I put belts in my car every two years, because it was the damn rules and never complained about it. I had my chassis certed when they said I needed to. When they said my Simpson helmet was no longer legal because it was out of date, but didn't have a scratch, I bought a new one. When they said I needed a -15 suit for a nitrous car, I bought one........So now I have a -15 suit, I have fire boots instead of my sneakers, I have a Hans device and -20 gloves......why, because it is the rules, plus I am pretty fond of keeping my extremities intact. I wear all that gear, regardless the ETs the car I am driving runs. And when it expires, I will get more.

If a $150 set of belts over the course of two years is a deal breaker......maybe you need a new hobby. That amounts to a few less trips through the drive thru or the beer store over a couple years.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733087
01/19/15 09:37 PM
01/19/15 09:37 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte,you have to admit he is right,I remember a while back you said you was waiting till you got up the $$$ to do your car like you wanted it!Think about it when you finally save up enough $$$ to build your car,you will not want some JackA$$ adding on more things that you don't need that cost even more $$$ that takes away from your racing!

That reference about money holding me up, was in reference to building a 40k motor.....had nothing to do with a $150 set of belts.

And MrP, if you think there is no way a set of belts can be trashed in two years, you would be dead wrong. I worked tech at a track for several years. I have looked at thousands of sets of belts. Just because YOU take pristine care of your equipment and your car sits inside all the time, doesn't mean everybody does the same. As a matter of fact, it is quite the opposite. I told several guys over the course of the years to not come back with those belts, I don't care if they ARE in date. Just like the header tethers. Just because you or anyone else here has never had a rusted ass collector fall off their car while making a pass, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Used to happen on a near weekly basis at the track I worked at and still does. It obviously happens with enough frequency to have a rule written........same with the belts.

The point here is........this is a SAFETY issue and as such, racers can "petition" til the cows come home. The NHRA is not going to "soften" a safety issue because guys are complaining about such a low dollar item.......not going to happen, so might as well find something else to complain about. Like somebody said above, if you are that adamant about it, you can always stay home.

Over the course of the years, I have strongly expressed several opinions to various organizations, about several things I thought were not needed or didn't make sense...........but none of that was ever because I thought they were trying to be TOO safe

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733088
01/19/15 09:44 PM
01/19/15 09:44 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I find it humorous what guys THINK they KNOW. I have raced my whole life, just because I am currently not racing my own car, don't amount to SQUAT. I make plenty of runs over the course of a season, just not in MY car at this time. But when I was, you know what, I put belts in my car every two years, because it was the damn rules and never complained about it. I had my chassis certed when they said I needed to. When they said my Simpson helmet was no longer legal because it was out of date, but didn't have a scratch, I bought a new one. When they said I needed a -15 suit for a nitrous car, I bought one........So now I have a -15 suit, I have fire boots instead of my sneakers, I have a Hans device and -20 gloves......why, because it is the rules, plus I am pretty fond of keeping my extremities intact. I wear all that gear, regardless the ETs the car I am driving runs. And when it expires, I will get more.

If a $150 set of belts over the course of two years is a deal breaker......maybe you need a new hobby. That amounts to a few less trips through the drive thru or the beer store over a couple years.

Monte

And YET you say you can't afford to race your own car. Lets hear your story after you pay for gas money, entry fees, maintenance, and everything else required for supporting your car with your monies. Its more of a nuisance to me as I have 3 cars, two of which will hit the track this year. The part that bothers me the most is its a "money grab" and to keep the sponsors happy. I really feel for the guys that hit 1 or 2 Mopar races a year only to need belts again. My cars are teched by IHRA and NHRA officials and if while checking my belt certs needed replaced before the 5 year period I would have a new set in before next weeks race.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733089
01/19/15 09:51 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

It's not just seat belts. It's license (sign up for ND), recert chassis (did the bars get thin?, Man I've seen certed chassis that I wouldn't get into), collector tethers, Recert aluminum trans shield (did it corrode away?), recert flex plate shield (it's .250" thick steel). The list never ends. To make it worse they never check anything anyway. I went to 12 events at various tracks last year. I had my belts and helmet checked 3 times. Never once did they look at the chassis cert or ask for my license. My car is 100% legal, it runs extra bars in the cage, I wear an upgraded fire suit and gloves, the car has a diaper. None of that stuff is required. But paying once and paying all the time? I have no sponsors. I pay for my own tow rig, trailer, car, maintenance, and travel. Not all of us make a ton of money. Does that mean we can't race? Many times I side job for entry and fuel.
Doug

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733090
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
And MrP, if you think there is no way a set of belts can be trashed in two years, you would be dead wrong. I worked tech at a track for several years. I have looked at thousands of sets of belts. Just because YOU take pristine care of your equipment and your car sits inside all the time, doesn't mean everybody does the same. As a matter of fact, it is quite the opposite. I told several guys over the course of the years to not come back with those belts, I don't care if they ARE in date. Just like the header tethers. Just because you or anyone else here has never had a rusted ass collector fall off their car while making a pass, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Used to happen on a near weekly basis at the track I worked at and still does. It obviously happens with enough frequency to have a rule written........same with the belts.

The point here is........this is a SAFETY issue and as such, racers can "petition" til the cows come home. The NHRA is not going to "soften" a safety issue because guys are complaining about such a low dollar item.......not going to happen, so might as well find something else to complain about. Like somebody said above, if you are that adamant about it, you can always stay home.

Over the course of the years, I have strongly expressed several opinions to various organizations, about several things I thought were not needed or didn't make sense...........but none of that was ever because I thought they were trying to be TOO safe

Monte

We test belts all the time at work... set them in
high HV, in dirt, heat... they are way stronger than
you think.. and this was just 2" belts.. the human
body will crush before the belt let go

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733091
01/19/15 09:56 PM
01/19/15 09:56 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

And YET you say you can't afford to race your own car. Lets hear your story after you pay for gas money, entry fees, maintenance, and everything else required for supporting your car with your monies. Its more of a nuisance to me as I have 3 cars, two of which will hit the track this year. The part that bothers me the most is its a "money grab" and to keep the sponsors happy. I really feel for the guys that hit 1 or 2 Mopar races a year only to need belts again. My cars are teched by IHRA and NHRA officials and if while checking my belt certs needed replaced before the 5 year period I would have a new set in before next weeks race.

I never said I couldn't afford to race my car. What I DID say was that I couldn't afford to cough up about 40k at one time for the motor I want. I have a couple motors I could put in it just to "get to" the track, but that isn't what I want to do. So for now it sits until I gather the parts for it to be like I want it. I am a working guy, just like everyone else. Now, I could sell my truck and trailer and buy smaller and cheaper. I could sell my boat, my bike, my jeep, some guns and likely a bunch of other "toys" I have accumulated over the years. I could stop taking my girl out to eat as much, or buying her stuff...........lots of things I COULD do, but I choose not to at this point. I will have the parts, when I have them and won't sacrifice other things I WANT to do in the process.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733092
01/19/15 10:11 PM
01/19/15 10:11 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Racing is as expensive as YOU choose to make it. Nobody is twisting your arm to build a car that requires lots of safety gear to be inspected, or fast enough to require a comp license to drive it, or have the cage certed. That is a choice YOU make. License, safety gear, all that stuff was in place BEFORE anybody elected to build the car they built. You knew it going in and NOW complain about it. You want to do it on the cheap? Build a slow beater that requires little to no safety gear, run it at any number of small outlaw tracks that check NOTHING and will even let you get by with shorts and a t-shirt.

Kinda like buying an exotic sports car and then complaining the insurance and fuel is too expensive.......didn't you know that going in?

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733093
01/19/15 10:55 PM
01/19/15 10:55 PM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Offline
top fuel
rickraw  Offline
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
Not being a smart azz, do u change ur belts in ur daily driver every 2 years? Same deal as ur race car.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733094
01/19/15 11:06 PM
01/19/15 11:06 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Some of this stuff is proactive. But most of the rules on these things that are being complained about, belts, helmets, suits, certs, shields, diapers, tethers, licenses, etc, etc, are the result of someone, maybe more than one someone, being killed or crippled by something stupid and/or unforeseen. There are accidents and then there's asking for it. I understand the organizations running the show have to protect the sport from the idiots who are asking for it, and they have to try to prevent hard learned lessons from being repeated. Everybody, from John Force to the kid in a Honda on a test and tune day, has to deal with it or not go down the track. Like it or not.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: rickraw] #1733095
01/19/15 11:14 PM
01/19/15 11:14 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Not being a smart azz, do u change ur belts in ur daily driver every 2 years? Same deal as ur race car.

Do you wear a helmet and fire suit in your daily driver? Same deal as your race car.....right?

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733096
01/19/15 11:48 PM
01/19/15 11:48 PM
Fredericksburg Va
P
plycuda Offline
mopar
plycuda  Offline
mopar
P

Fredericksburg Va
If all us poor people finds a new hobby there probably wouldn't be to many tracks left open for all the rich people

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: plycuda] #1733097
01/20/15 12:03 AM
01/20/15 12:03 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I have no problem with safety or buying safety equipment. That's why I have more than required. What I do have issue with as does everyone else is "planned obsolescence" Otherwise known as SFI recerts. When you cert your car they don't even look at cage welds, yet require my tig welded chrome moly cage to be rechecked for thickness every 3 years? How many "cold fusion" certed cages have you seen? What makes it worse is that once you've spent the money nobody checks anyway. Tech?, give them your tech card and roll into the staging lanes. Yet they worry about 2 year belts? Get real.
Doug

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733098
01/20/15 12:28 AM
01/20/15 12:28 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

I have no problem with safety or buying safety equipment. That's why I have more than required. What I do have issue with as does everyone else is "planned obsolescence" Otherwise known as SFI recerts. When you cert your car they don't even look at cage welds, yet require my tig welded chrome moly cage to be rechecked for thickness every 3 years? How many "cold fusion" certed cages have you seen? What makes it worse is that once you've spent the money nobody checks anyway. Tech?, give them your tech card and roll into the staging lanes. Yet they worry about 2 year belts? Get real.
Doug

The fact that tech doesn't check stuff, is nobodys fault but that particular tech staff. Every police officer I see doesn't check my license and insurance card either, but that doesn't negate that fact that I am supposed to have it in case they do. Certain tracks are notoriously tough on tech at a weekly race, some aren't. But when we were running Super Stock and went to national events, there was NOTHING that didn't get checked. The Division 2 guy that does our cage certs, goes over every weld and every bar with a fine tooth comb. Do all of them......highly unlikely, but HE does. And the reason that your cage is certed every two years, is because guys are constantly working on cars and changing things, which may include welding on the chassis. Welding on a certed chassis, within the confines of the inspection portion of the structure, negates the current sticker and they KNOW most are not going to call up and say "hey, I welded on my car and I need to have it checked"......so as with most things, they make that call FOR you, by having scheduled cert expirations.

And as far as all these regulations, as already pointed out, but nobody seems to care, is that NHRA does NOT set the certs, SFI does and NHRA chooses to follow those guidelines. For some reason all the "conspiracy theory" guys, seem to think it is all some grand plan by the NHRA to milk you out of money, when it really doesn't have anything to do with them. This where the "kickbacks" and "under the table money" guys start telling us how it really works. Well ok, if that's what you think fine. But SFI is an independent organization that NHRA, NTPA(as well as most pulling orgs), most drag boat orgs, World of Outlaws and dozens of other racing organizations follow. If you have an issue with a time line........SFI is who you should complain to, not NHRA. Everybody brings up NASCAR...........well they DON'T use SFI, they set their own standards and have the money behind them to fund it and do their own testing. NHRA doesn't.

And if you want to know what orgs use SFI standards, go to the SFI site and look under "coalition members" and it tells you

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733099
01/20/15 12:40 AM
01/20/15 12:40 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Winter time on Moparts,,,,ahhhh,,,love it. I think I am starting to like the "new belts every 2 years" discussion more than "how to set my pinion angle".

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733100
01/20/15 12:51 AM
01/20/15 12:51 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
You Won't Ever Hear The Owner of this Car complain about replacing the safety harness every two years.....his safety equipment saved his life after rolling my old 63 Vet at 170mph

It's been stripped of anything he could salvage to go into his new 68 Camaro Roadster.

Rickster

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733101
01/20/15 12:52 AM
01/20/15 12:52 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
I bet the more rules SFI makes the more money they charge, or is it a non-profit org. Oh yea the manufacters pay them to spec there product, kinda fuzzy there, i got an itch, could you scratch it for me. It is a dangerous sport, if no thrill of getting hurt why do it? Just play your X-Box

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13