Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733242
01/24/15 04:02 PM
01/24/15 04:02 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
So I guess the only reason they changed the rule from 2" belts to 3" belts is just so the manufacturers could make MORE money because there is more material to be sold correct.............because if a 2" is "plenty strong" switching to 3" could ONLY be because they wanted to make more money.......correct? Because both would have to be replaced in 2 years.

And as far as the factory car restraint system........if you think that ONE belt kinda going across one shoulder, the lap anchored on one side, with a single latch and no crotch will keep you and the seat in place...........well, you have WAY more faith in it than I do. But is it obviously your option to feel that way.

And is sure does seem like a lot of the crashes we see at the race track, are cars nosing directly into the wall on the top end at a nearly 90* angle, at 200+ and then barrel rolling several times. One only need go back and look at the pic of the Vette roadster posted in this very thread. looks Like he more than "brushed" the wall a little. Find it hard to believe the restraints in my "driver" would have resulted in that guy walking away..........but what do I know

But as much fun as this thread has been........I believe I have had enough fun for now...........LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733243
01/24/15 04:09 PM
01/24/15 04:09 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.

So if the thread in the webbing is completely shot after 2 years, and I send my belts in to have them re-certified, I should expect all new thread in the webbing? Not just a new certification date?

Mark

http://marsh-racing.com/Mark%20Mahorney-Allstate.htm
1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Hemi Allstate] #1733244
01/24/15 05:54 PM
01/24/15 05:54 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

So if the thread in the webbing is completely shot after 2 years, and I send my belts in to have them re-certified, I should expect all new thread in the webbing? Not just a new certification date?

Mark

That's were they put the good thread. Its holding the cert sticker and the products name on the harness.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733245
01/24/15 06:17 PM
01/24/15 06:17 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

So I guess the only reason they changed the rule from 2" belts to 3" belts is just so the manufacturers could make MORE money because there is more material to be sold correct.

What?

What does hypothetical deterioration of belt fabric have to do with width? As already pointed out 3" belts spread out the point of impact better than 2" belts which no one is advocating a return to.

I say hypothetical because the organization who is claiming the belts need to be replaced in a fairly short period of time is funded by those who would profit from frequent belt sales.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733246
01/24/15 06:18 PM
01/24/15 06:18 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

So I guess the only reason they changed the rule from 2" belts to 3" belts is just so the manufacturers could make MORE money because there is more material to be sold correct.............because if a 2" is "plenty strong" switching to 3" could ONLY be because they wanted to make more money.......correct? Because both would have to be replaced in 2 years.

And as far as the factory car restraint system........if you think that ONE belt kinda going across one shoulder, the lap anchored on one side, with a single latch and no crotch will keep you and the seat in place...........well, you have WAY more faith in it than I do. But is it obviously your option to feel that way.

And is sure does seem like a lot of the crashes we see at the race track, are cars nosing directly into the wall on the top end at a nearly 90* angle, at 200+ and then barrel rolling several times. One only need go back and look at the pic of the Vette roadster posted in this very thread. looks Like he more than "brushed" the wall a little. Find it hard to believe the restraints in my "driver" would have resulted in that guy walking away..........but what do I know

But as much fun as this thread has been........I believe I have had enough fun for now...........LOL!!!

Monte

The 3" is mainly to spread the load out on the body..
the 2" has enough strength that the body couldnt
withstand the pressures it takes to rip the belt
in half(and thats just 1 single 2" belt..not 4 or 5
belts

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: pittsburghracer] #1733247
01/24/15 06:39 PM
01/24/15 06:39 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
Quote:

Quote:

Mark

That's were they put the good thread. Its holding the cert sticker and the products name on the harness.

My belts get a free re-cert, when expired. If the thread is so dangerously deteriorated in 2 years, I would expect new thread. If the belts come back with the same thread, then only an inspection is actually necessary not replacement?

Mark

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Hemi Allstate] #1733248
01/24/15 06:57 PM
01/24/15 06:57 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

My belts get a free re-cert, when expired. If the thread is so dangerously deteriorated in 2 years, I would expect new thread. If the belts come back with the same thread, then only an inspection is actually necessary not replacement?

Mark

When you get your belts re-certed.. they cut off all
the belts and supply new material and sewing... the
only thing that is original from the old set is the
hardware... and on the 5 re-cert you have to buy a
whole new set... there is a certain pattern on the
sewing that has to be done so it certs

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733249
01/24/15 07:08 PM
01/24/15 07:08 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Mark

Ok , Thanks Mike,
I have already mailed them for re-cert. More of a hassle to remove and install on my car as others have stated. Then package and ship back to RCI.
So obviously the concern is not the hardware at all?

Mark

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Hemi Allstate] #1733250
01/24/15 07:22 PM
01/24/15 07:22 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Mark

Ok , Thanks Mike,
I have already mailed them for re-cert. More of a hassle to remove and install on my car as others have stated. Then package and ship back to RCI.
So obviously the concern is not the hardware at all?

Mark

One of the guys that use to be on here did testing
on the belts... old belts... in EVERY CASE the hardware
let go before the belts or any sewing... every case
the hardware failed... and yet when you re-cert the
only thing you keep is the hardware

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733251
01/25/15 01:10 AM
01/25/15 01:10 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Did everybody get their free lottery tickets yet?

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: bigtimeauto] #1733252
01/25/15 01:18 AM
01/25/15 01:18 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

You offering?

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733253
01/25/15 01:32 AM
01/25/15 01:32 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Quote:

Quote:

You offering?

ice cream and trophy's for all to!

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733254
01/25/15 01:33 AM
01/25/15 01:33 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Go to any big money five-day bracket race and you will find dragsters and roadsters sitting outside in the sun all day long for the entire week....covered with tarps only over-night....some of these teams carry 4-5 dragsters in a trailer....they don't put them away every night....they would rather party

And these guys race week after week chasing the big buck races....they get their share of wear&tear

Rickster

Have you got a dragster???? I have 2 of them a 2012 & 2014 both purpose built T/D,and have owned dragsters since 1990 and can tell you 1st hand you can not leave the cage & seat uncovered all day in the hot sun or the seat,steering wheel and every daymn thing else will be so hot you can not set down in them or touch anything!Most times at the Big $$$ Bracket Races we carry 2 dragsters & 3 door-cars and put all 5 of them back in the trailers.And I have never noticed people leaving their cars out all night while they are gone partying!But to be honest I have never rode through the pits at night to see if anyone has left there cars out.But I do know this for certain you let a dragster set out in the hot sun very long when you set your a$$ down it,it will be like putting an egg in a hot frying fan. Ask me how I know that.

Not interested in what you do with your cars....just stated what I'm used to seeing.....and my roadster would sit out all day with nothing more than my jacket on the cage.

No need for you to respond.

Rickster

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: rickstershemi] #1733255
01/25/15 02:19 AM
01/25/15 02:19 AM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Go to any big money five-day bracket race and you will find dragsters and roadsters sitting outside in the sun all day long for the entire week....covered with tarps only over-night....some of these teams carry 4-5 dragsters in a trailer....they don't put them away every night....they would rather party

And these guys race week after week chasing the big buck races....they get their share of wear&tear

Rickster

Have you got a dragster???? I have 2 of them a 2012 & 2014 both purpose built T/D,and have owned dragsters since 1990 and can tell you 1st hand you can not leave the cage & seat uncovered all day in the hot sun or the seat,steering wheel and every daymn thing else will be so hot you can not set down in them or touch anything!Most times at the Big $$$ Bracket Races we carry 2 dragsters & 3 door-cars and put all 5 of them back in the trailers.And I have never noticed people leaving their cars out all night while they are gone partying!But to be honest I have never rode through the pits at night to see if anyone has left there cars out.But I do know this for certain you let a dragster set out in the hot sun very long when you set your a$$ down it,it will be like putting an egg in a hot frying fan. Ask me how I know that.

Not interested in what you do with your cars....just stated what I'm used to seeing.....and my roadster would sit out all day with nothing more than my jacket on the cage.

Rickster

So you cover your cage with your jacket,is that not keeping the sun of your seat and belts instead of sitting open in the sun all day?

Just because you take no Pride in yourself or your Race-Car and you are foolish enough to leave your car sitting out in the open all day with your seat belts exposed to the sun all day instead of taking care of them like the rest of us,why should the rest of us have to pay for your Foolish mistakes?

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 01/25/15 03:40 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733256
01/25/15 03:38 PM
01/25/15 03:38 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Rickster

So you cover your cage with your jacket,is that not keeping the sun of your seat and belts instead of sitting open in the sun all day?

If you are foolish enough to leave your car sitting out in the open all day with your seat belts exposed to the sun all day instead of taking care of them like the rest of us,why should the rest of us have to pay for your Foolish mistakes?

I bet he wears his jacket.......but yet HE is the foolish one.............Pot, meet kettle.........LMFAO!!!!!

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733257
01/25/15 03:48 PM
01/25/15 03:48 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Rickster

If you are foolish enough to leave your car sitting out in the open all day with your seat belts exposed to the sun all day instead of taking care of them like the rest of us,why should the rest of us have to pay for your Foolish mistakes?

I bet he wears his jacket.......but yet HE is the foolish one.............Pot, meet kettle.........LMFAO!!!!!

Monte your race car has not run since the "Roaring 60's" I think that tells everyone what they need to know about you! When and if you ever get your race car running again and only then maybe people will start paying attention to what you say.Talking about what one needs to do and doing it are not the same!When are you going to get off you Fat Butt from in front of the computer eating Bon Bons and telling us how great you are and show us how good of a racer you are?

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 01/25/15 03:52 PM.

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733258
01/25/15 07:12 PM
01/25/15 07:12 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
If you really believe that SFI and the sanction's rule books are a conspiracy to steal money from you or if you actually consider driving a race car in a T-shirt and flip flops to not be a problem, this is likely over your head.

For those with a triple digit IQ and who want to actually learn something, here are 2 links on this subject that I've found to be quite interesting.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/seatb.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

MR P BODY, I don't dispute or question anything you've said. In fact, with your experience, I believe these links will be of interest to you.

My point is that the requirements of the material used in a 16.1 harness are much different and greater than that used in a passenger car assembly. It seems to me that the 16.1 assembly is required to restrain the driver in the seat with very little movement upon impact, even after losing much of it's original tensile strength over time and under extreme loads. While the passenger car material, which is different from that used in the 16.1, needs some give to reduce G-forces on the body in an accident. Maybe the use of airbags has allowed this cushion effect to be even less violent.

A little bit of time spent playing with numbers on the second link has shown that a 60 MPH impact on a 200lb. body, that is allowed 6 inches of cushion or stretch in the belts, results in an impact force of 24 tons on the body. Increase the speed to 250 and the number goes to 418 tons! Almost 18 times the load! Reduce the distance that the belts stretch to 3 inches and it goes to 836 tons! Unsurvivable, of course. But still desirable to the driver coming out of the car.

As with everything else we use, compressed gas cylinders, pressure hose, safety shields, high RPM items, lifting equipment, etc., the point of failure has to be so much higher than the maximum load rating under normal use, to allow a margin of safety under worst case situations. Overkill? Maybe. But I do know we have a lot less people killed in drag cars, at much higher speeds, than in the good old days. Why do people complain about the process that has been responsible for that?

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733259
01/25/15 08:27 PM
01/25/15 08:27 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Rickster

Monte your race car has not run since the "Roaring 60's" I think that tells everyone what they need to know about you! When and if you ever get your race car running again and only then maybe people will start paying attention to what you say.Talking about what one needs to do and doing it are not the same!When are you going to get off you Fat Butt from in front of the computer eating Bon Bons and telling us how great you are and show us how good of a racer you are?

I don't care if anyone pays attention to what I say or not. I am free to express my opinion like everyone else here, so thats what I do. People listen or they don't. Either way don't make much difference to me.

And One more time dude........even though I have said it SEVERAL times already. I make PLENTY of passes in the course of a year, just not in MY car at this time. I have a TS car in my garage right now that I will be testing when I finish my work on it, runs 4 teens. Will also be shaking down a grudge car in a few weeks we just finished up and it should be a low 4 sec player as well. I drive often for OTHER people.....and guess what, I WEAR my safety gear, ALL of it and never once complain about either having to buy, or wear it. In the past, I have driven alky funny cars, so I HAVE been on fire. I also had the wheelie bars break on a blown Pro-Mod, which put me on the roof a few years ago. I have NO problem with safety gear, because I have personally had it work for me on more than one occasion............And ALL you have done this whole thread is skirt the issue about you not wearing your own gear and talk about my car not running........which as of yet, have I figured out what THAT possibly has to do with this thread. But whatever dude.........carry on with it.

Oh yeah........and as far as getting in a HOT dragster, after it sits in the sun all day..........seems to me if you had pants, a jacket, shoes and gloves....it wouldn't really matter if it was hot...........LOL!!!.. But again, I don't know anything, because as you say, my own car hasn't run since the "roaring 60s"..........yeee haaa...........are we having fun yet........LOL!!!

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733260
01/25/15 08:34 PM
01/25/15 08:34 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

If you really believe that SFI and the sanction's rule books are a conspiracy to steal money from you or if you actually consider driving a race car in a T-shirt and flip flops to not be a problem, this is likely over your head.

For those with a triple digit IQ and who want to actually learn something, here are 2 links on this subject that I've found to be quite interesting.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/seatb.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

MR P BODY, I don't dispute or question anything you've said. In fact, with your experience, I believe these links will be of interest to you.

My point is that the requirements of the material used in a 16.1 harness are much different and greater than that used in a passenger car assembly. It seems to me that the 16.1 assembly is required to restrain the driver in the seat with very little movement upon impact, even after losing much of it's original tensile strength over time and under extreme loads. While the passenger car material, which is different from that used in the 16.1, needs some give to reduce G-forces on the body in an accident. Maybe the use of airbags has allowed this cushion effect to be even less violent.

A little bit of time spent playing with numbers on the second link has shown that a 60 MPH impact on a 200lb. body, that is allowed 6 inches of cushion or stretch in the belts, results in an impact force of 24 tons on the body. Increase the speed to 250 and the number goes to 418 tons! Almost 18 times the load! Reduce the distance that the belts stretch to 3 inches and it goes to 836 tons! Unsurvivable, of course. But still desirable to the driver coming out of the car.

As with everything else we use, compressed gas cylinders, pressure hose, safety shields, high RPM items, lifting equipment, etc., the point of failure has to be so much higher than the maximum load rating under normal use, to allow a margin of safety under worst case situations. Overkill? Maybe. But I do know we have a lot less people killed in drag cars, at much higher speeds, than in the good old days. Why do people complain about the process that has been responsible for that?

This was my point about comparing "factory" to "race". You are NOT supposed to move in a race car. Step in the lanes sometime.......watch a driver get strapped in a TF dragster or FC......even a Pro-Mod. Crewmembers actually put their feet on the car for leverage as they pull the belts THAT tight. If you can move at ALL, they are TOO loose. Because the belts have to anchor you AND the seat IN THE CAR in the event of a crash. In a factory car, while the belts MAY help keep you IN the car, the air bags is what keeps you from getting hurt. Videos of the amount of movement of "crash dummies" are easy to find. Move that much in your race car..it won't be good.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733261
01/25/15 09:18 PM
01/25/15 09:18 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Rickster

I don't care if anyone pays attention to what I say or not. I am free to express my opinion like everyone else here, so thats what I do. People listen or they don't. Either way don't make much difference to me.

And One more time dude........even though I have said it SEVERAL times already. I make PLENTY of passes in the course of a year, just not in MY car at this time. I have a TS car in my garage right now that I will be testing when I finish my work on it, runs 4 teens. Will also be shaking down a grudge car in a few weeks we just finished up and it should be a low 4 sec player as well. I drive often for OTHER people.....and guess what, I WEAR my safety gear, ALL of it and never once complain about either having to buy, or wear it. In the past, I have driven alky funny cars, so I HAVE been on fire. I also had the wheelie bars break on a blown Pro-Mod, which put me on the roof a few years ago. I have NO problem with safety gear, because I have personally had it work for me on more than one occasion............And ALL you have done this whole thread is skirt the issue about you not wearing your own gear and talk about my car not running........which as of yet, have I figured out what THAT possibly has to do with this thread. But whatever dude.........carry on with it.

Oh yeah........and as far as getting in a HOT dragster, after it sits in the sun all day..........seems to me if you had pants, a jacket, shoes and gloves....it wouldn't really matter if it was hot...........LOL!!!.. But again, I don't know anything, because as you say, my own car hasn't run since the "roaring 60s"..........yeee haaa...........are we having fun yet........LOL!!!

Monte,do you want us to believe no more seat time that you have had you just jump in a Blown Pro Mad and make a pass
Racers who race weekly or for that matter once a month,do you think you could climb in a Blown Pro-Mod Car that runs 5:80's-590's in a 1/4 mile while having to shift gears and make a full pass?Think about it could you go from a 8-9 sec car with no clutch and hop in a Blown Pro Mod with a clutch and make a full pass?Yet Monte has not had his race car running since the 60's and you know there is no way he even makes 1 pass a month in any kind of a car much less drive a 8-9 sec car on a regular basis's.Monte gets carried away some times like in a post he made above when someone said they used old seat belts out of junk cars to pull engines & trans out of cars.Well Monte was not gonna let them out do him so he says..I Have Used A Rope To Pull Engines Out Of Cars!
As for him hoping in a alky funny Car with no seat time......
Would any of you that race weekly try and do that?
And to hear him Boast about how much better racer he is than the rest of us when his car has not running in many many years...if he was a good driver back then after going this many years with little to no seat time

PS I do have a fire suit that I can put on if I choose and get in my race car and race!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 01/25/15 09:20 PM.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13