I have an 08 Ram 1500 5.7 with the 246 transfer case that has the auto 4wd position. The truck has 88,000 miles on it and I have had it for two years.

When I test drove the truck they had to jump start it and the 4wd did not work properly after the first engagement in auto mode(gravel lot to test). I drove it back and told them and they claimed it was due to the low battery. They replaced the battery and I put it through several tests and all the 4wd functions worked great so I bought the truck.

Now that I have had it two years the automatic 4wd feature doesn't always work. It seems to work fine when the headlights are off oddly enough. It will engage one time in auto mode and then no 4wd features will work until the truck has been shut down for a few minutes. If you skip the auto 4wd option and just use 4wd or 4wd lo it works great!

Now the scary part, when the auto 4wd feature tries to work(when the headlights are on) it will make the lights blink and the heater blower motor cut out and the volt meter will go way high. My initial thought was the battery could be bad, however I am the general manager for an Interstate Batteries distributorship so I know that is not the case. I even swapped batteries to see if it helped and no luck.

Does this sound like a TIPM deal? Would it be worth a trip to the dealer for them to plug it in and look at it? In the daytime the auto 4wd feature will work fine. Thanks!

Clark

68 Barracuda Formula S 340