12/29/14 11:11 PM
12/29/14 11:11 PM
San Francisco Ca
SCATPK Offline OP
master
SCATPK  Offline OP
master

San Francisco Ca
Do we need a ballast resistor with an electronic ignition? Who runs one and who does not? And those who do not, have any of you experienced any failures of a coil or distributor pick up with the extra voltage? Reading this article it seems I may be leaving some power on the table.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/mopp-1110-ballast-resistor-guide-ballast-blast-off/

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717565
12/29/14 11:23 PM
12/29/14 11:23 PM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
to eliminate the ballast you'll need a compatible coil. stock coils weren't designed to take a full 12 volts. personally i don't understand all the negative reactions to the ballast resister.

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: lewtot184] #1717566
12/29/14 11:35 PM
12/29/14 11:35 PM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
A lot of aftermarket pick ups will go bad with 12 volts constant.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717567
12/30/14 12:15 AM
12/30/14 12:15 AM
Illinois
StrkrDart69 Offline
super stock
StrkrDart69  Offline
super stock

Illinois
Points yes
Electronic no. Use an aftermarket performance coil.

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717568
12/30/14 01:37 AM
12/30/14 01:37 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You have ALOT of leeway on how little ballast you can get by with (always carry spares). it mainly depends on the coil selection as to how much ballast you should run & much less on what ECU you are running tho the ECU has to on/off switch the amount of current in the coil primary circuit which is the sum of your coil/ballast choice & will be affected by your choice of ballast in the long run. 35 yrs ago I ran an Accell super coil (the big yellow beast) with no ballast (OE 70's electronic dist/OE '75 chebby black HEI module) with no failure & it ran awesome. (Accell later told me to run a .7 or .8 (I forgot which) ohm ballast with that coil. Jacobs the ign people tell me that too much power can actually cavitate A/F molecules out of the spark plug gap

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717569
12/30/14 03:12 AM
12/30/14 03:12 AM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
What many don't understand is...
The ballast resistor protects the coil from overcurrent...
Its resistance increases as it gets hotter..
Traditional coils had thin internal wire windings and could not handle higher currents.

Some later coils are designed to handle higher currents, also some do not require a ballast resistor U need to check the maufacturer for their recommendations. Now the traditional oil-filled coil is being replaced with the EL transformer type design, which is more compact..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717570
12/30/14 08:10 AM
12/30/14 08:10 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Use of an aftermarket ignition like the MSD 6AL does away with the ballast.

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: GY3] #1717571
12/30/14 04:16 PM
12/30/14 04:16 PM
Niwot, CO Formerly denn...
dynorad Offline
mopar
dynorad  Offline
mopar

Niwot, CO Formerly denn...
The ballast protects the coil and the ignition module. If you want to bypass you should replace both of these with units that can withstand the current passing through them at 14V.

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717572
12/30/14 05:09 PM
12/30/14 05:09 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

The MSD Blaster is a popular coil, the instructions state " Most late model vehicles with electronic ignitions do not require a ballast resistor, check your ignition and manufacturers specifications to determine if a ballast is required in your application."

For points they specify a ballast be used.

OTOH, Pertronix says to use a ballast if the coil isn't within a certain resistance range.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: John_Kunkel] #1717573
12/30/14 07:08 PM
12/30/14 07:08 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline
pro stock

North Carolina
Yes, you should run a ballast with the OEM coil as well as most aftermarket coils. If you don't run it, the life of the coil will be greatly reduced as it will run much hotter and with nothing to limit current going to it.

FWIW, I tried to run my MSD Blaster II coil (Mopar chrome box ECU) with no ballast and it was searing hot after 5 minutes. I went to a .25 ohm ballast which dropped the voltage to the coil to 7-8V which kept it much cooler and with no discernable drop in output to the plugs (40-45kV).

Use the ballast.

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: cjskotni] #1717574
12/30/14 07:34 PM
12/30/14 07:34 PM
San Francisco Ca
SCATPK Offline OP
master
SCATPK  Offline OP
master

San Francisco Ca
I am going to change out the stock ballast resistor on my dart for one of the msd units and see what the voltage is to the plugs. Right now i am showing about 5 volts with the current setup, factory electronic distributor with chrome ecu and msd blaster coil. Seems there are various opinions on the use of a ballast resistor. Could just jump the terminals of my current resistor and see if the coil becomes smoking hot.

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: mopar346] #1717575
12/30/14 07:37 PM
12/30/14 07:37 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

A lot of aftermarket pick ups will go bad with 12 volts constant.

Not sure which aftermarket pickup coils you mean. The factory style pickup is a pulse generator(I believe MSD is also)it sees NO voltage..it creates an AC signal used as a trigger by the ECU

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: dynorad] #1717576
12/30/14 07:57 PM
12/30/14 07:57 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

The ballast protects the coil and the ignition module. If you want to bypass you should replace both of these with units that can withstand the current passing through them at 14V.

Its protecting only the coil. If you check the wiring diagram, the ECU gets full battery voltage from the vehicle harness.

As mentioned earlier, the stock distributor pickup doesn't care as it's a Variable reluctance sensor and is not powered. The magnetic field creates AC voltage as the reluctor passes by the pickup.

I ran an Accel 8140 coil for years with a stock replacement ECU and never had an issue.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: goldduster318] #1717577
12/30/14 08:13 PM
12/30/14 08:13 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

Quote:

Its protecting only the coil. If you check the wiring diagram, the ECU gets full battery voltage from the vehicle harness.

As mentioned earlier, the stock distributor pickup doesn't care as it's a Variable reluctance sensor and is not powered. The magnetic field creates AC voltage as the reluctor passes by the pickup.

I ran an Accel 8140 coil for years with a stock replacement ECU and never had an issue.

True the ECU is powered from the harness but it also carries the same current as the coil primary winding because it controls the coil negative on/off. When the coil is "on" current flows through the coil primary to ground provided by the ECU

Here's a pretty good description of system operation copy/pasted from the tech archives..just remember, any current flow through the coil primary also goes through the ECU:

The + wire supplies the power to the coil and the ECU grounds the negative part closing the circuit. This creates a magnetic field in the coil. The coil is what we call an autotransformer. When the ECU receives a signal from the magnetic pickup to fire a spark, the ECU OPENS the circuit, the magnetic field collapses and a spark is generated. A collapsing magnetic field creates a high reverse polarity voltage (energy).

The ballast resistor knocks the voltage down by a few volts to the coil (+) from 12 volts. The ballast resistor is bypassed during starting to produce a hotter spark. Run without the resistor and you will burn the coil up in a matter of minutes.

Simple actually.

Inside the distributor is the pickup and reluctor. The pickup has a magnetic field and a coil of wire. As the edges of the reluctor pass thru the pickup's magnetic field it generates a voltage in the coil, a small voltage and not enough to drive the coil.

This signal is sent to the ECU which uses it to control the coil. The ECU transforms the small pulse from the pick up into a signal of proper duration (this is where the dwell is created) to fire off the coil. It will generate a ground to the coil to allow it to charge up then remove the ground causing the spark.

The coil generates it's high voltage spark by collasping a magnetic field as described above.

The ballast resistor is not there to knock down voltage but to limit current thru the system. It's the excessive current that will burn out a coil. However, being that voltage = resistance times current any drop in current will affect voltage. But it is still the current that does the damage.

Last edited by Dcuda69; 12/30/14 08:26 PM.
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: Dcuda69] #1717578
12/30/14 09:03 PM
12/30/14 09:03 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Any of you ever burn your finger on the ballast?

Without it there to limit current that heat would be added to the coil.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: Supercuda] #1717579
12/31/14 12:33 AM
12/31/14 12:33 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

Any of you ever burn your finger on the ballast?

Without it there to limit current that heat would be added to the coil.

Exactly! AND the ECU!!

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: Dcuda69] #1717580
12/31/14 01:27 AM
12/31/14 01:27 AM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True the ECU is powered from the harness but it also carries the same current as the coil primary winding because it controls the coil negative on/off. When the coil is "on" current flows through the coil primary to ground provided by the ECU

Here's a pretty good description of system operation copy/pasted from the tech archives..just remember, any current flow through the coil primary also goes through the ECU:

The + wire supplies the power to the coil and the ECU grounds the negative part closing the circuit. This creates a magnetic field in the coil. The coil is what we call an autotransformer. When the ECU receives a signal from the magnetic pickup to fire a spark, the ECU OPENS the circuit, the magnetic field collapses and a spark is generated. A collapsing magnetic field creates a high reverse polarity voltage (energy).

The ballast resistor knocks the voltage down by a few volts to the coil (+) from 12 volts. The ballast resistor is bypassed during starting to produce a hotter spark. Run without the resistor and you will burn the coil up in a matter of minutes.

Simple actually.

Inside the distributor is the pickup and reluctor. The pickup has a magnetic field and a coil of wire. As the edges of the reluctor pass thru the pickup's magnetic field it generates a voltage in the coil, a small voltage and not enough to drive the coil.

This signal is sent to the ECU which uses it to control the coil. The ECU transforms the small pulse from the pick up into a signal of proper duration (this is where the dwell is created) to fire off the coil. It will generate a ground to the coil to allow it to charge up then remove the ground causing the spark.

The coil generates it's high voltage spark by collasping a magnetic field as described above.

The ballast resistor is not there to knock down voltage but to limit current thru the system. It's the excessive current that will burn out a coil. However, being that voltage = resistance times current any drop in current will affect voltage. But it is still the current that does the damage.

Yes, that's true that it carries that current as well, but that isn't an issue at all.

Here's the specs for the switching transistor commonly found on an orange box for reference: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/original/MJ10012.pdf

You won't be causing any ECU issue by deleting the resistor. I've gone 10 years without one with no issues.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: SCATPK] #1717581
12/31/14 02:33 AM
12/31/14 02:33 AM
South San Francisco, Californi...
MidPenMopar Offline
Looking for fun? Keep looking
MidPenMopar  Offline
Looking for fun? Keep looking

South San Francisco, Californi...
I have the Pertonix ignition and Pertonix matched coil on my 383 and it calls to bypass the ballast resistor. Works fine for me!

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: MidPenMopar] #1717582
01/03/15 06:34 AM
01/03/15 06:34 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Many electronic ign systems can eliminate the ballast if designed as they can control the dwell and current flow through the coil primary circuit by how long they want it grounded to build up a strong enough magnetic field by the electronics in the unit. Just like GM HEI eleiminated the resistance wire they used in the cars wire harness that feeds the coil primary + side that they used on their point systems right up until they eleminated points and went to HEI around 1974. Yes Ford and GM used primary resistance to drop the voltage and current flow to the coil just like Mopar only they used a resistance wire that was part of the wire harness from the ign switch to the coil. I remember that article when it ran in Mopar Muscle about 5 years or so ago as they basically said if you have electronic ign you dont need a ballast. Hymm then why did Mopar engineers still use one in their electronic ign and Ford also still used a resistance wire in their wire harness when they first went to electronic ign around 1974 with their Dura Spark ign as they called it. I have been using the old big yellow Acell Super Coil since 1999 in my cars with the MP orange ECU and a .75 ballast as its still on my 63 working great to 6500 rpm and never missing a beat running 10's. And I have never had any ign part go bad as its the same ballast I started using in 1999 when I put the setup on my Dart first and then transfered it to my 63. So should I take off my ballast for a hotter spark and chance burning up a coil since that article says so ?? Na I dont think I will ruin a good ign thats worked flawless for me. Ron

Re: Ballast Resistor Yes or No? [Re: 383man] #1717583
01/03/15 02:48 PM
01/03/15 02:48 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.

It depends on the ignition package.
A capacitive discharge system (like MSD 505, , 7 etc) or an indutive system that is designed to actively control the current (like the Pertronix mentioned above) will not need the resistor. Everything else was designed to use the resistor(s) for this function.

As Christopher Jacobs wrote in his book, for short WOT bursts (1/4 mile) one can try to get a little more out of the coil with a bypass switch. IIRC the purpose is to make up for the lack of time at high rpm for the coil to rebuild its field. Whether it is going to make a difference to performance will depend on what is happening in the combustion chamber.

Another variable is how the coil itself is internally designed. They can be designed to perform better at low rpms or at high rpms. It has to do with the windings. If you compare the specs for a Blaster 2 vs a stock coil you'll notice a differnce in windings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2