Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
I am installing a gear vendor in the Coronet convertible. There seems to be more interference in the tunnel than I expected. Gear Vendor says that there are shorter mounts for the 727 but could not give a part number or brand. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks all
Lynn

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1700795
11/19/14 04:35 PM
11/19/14 04:35 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Hey Lynn,
I used a standard spool type mount but had to modify my stock crossmember to do it. The "block/cube" type mount in mine was in poor condition so I thought it made sense to make the change. The spool type allows you to use a multitude of mounts far greater in numbers than the stock type.
The standard procedure for the fitment has been to dimple the tunnel at the points where the two case bolts make contact. Another consideration is where the speedometer sender sits near the floor. You can dent/dimple the floorpan to get the GV to sit higher but then you'll need the 90 degree adapter so the speedo cable isn't pressed against the floor, causing misalignment and erratic readings. I had a 90 degree adapter but the threaded nose cracked. Gear Vendors was out of stock so I had to lower the end of the case to allow use of the standard speedo housing.
If you are heading into the winter with some down time, it may be worth it to call Gear Vendors and inquire about that 90 degree housing. Ask for Mike. They actually are pretty helpful even when you don't buy new from them. I was impressed enough when I was installing mine that I sent them several extra speedometer gears that I had once they told me that they had customers waiting for them. The GV uses a speedo gear from a GM turbo 400 trans. I pulled NUMEROUS ones from local junkyards trying to find the correct tooth count for my car. If you still have my number, feel free to bend my ear about this install.

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Kern Dog] #1700796
11/19/14 10:05 PM
11/19/14 10:05 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Thanks for the help, and the GV unit. I "dimpled" the tunnel in the bolt area, and speedo area. And yes Gear Vendors has been a big help and a 90 degree speedo adapter is in route.
With all this, the flange (round) at the end of the adapter that the unit bolts to, is flush against the floor.
Luckily, my customers are all machine shops and one of them is building me a "custom" mount that will be 5/8" shorter than the original. As a side note, I sold the 8" (no efficiency) torque converter and have a Hughe's 11" high efficiency in it's place. I can't wait to drive it with 97% of the power getting to the trans!
Since the exhaust (2-1/2") is also in the way, I am bravely going to a tti 3" with Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. My bet is the car will not be the same after all this!

8336281-DSCN1300.JPG (103 downloads)
Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1700797
11/19/14 11:40 PM
11/19/14 11:40 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I don't recall your cam specs, but those Ultra Flo mufflers make a sweet sound in a big cammed engine. I have a 3" middle section with mandrel bends, an X pipe crossover and the Ultra Flo mufflers. Relatively quiet at cruise and idle but great under power too.

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Kern Dog] #1700798
11/20/14 03:26 AM
11/20/14 03:26 AM
france
J
jose jones Offline
super stock
jose jones  Offline
super stock
J

france
Make sure you tell TTI that you have a Gear Vendor so they can put the H pipe crossover in the correct location

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: jose jones] #1700799
11/20/14 09:01 AM
11/20/14 09:01 AM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
That was one reason I chose the tti, they make headpipes specifically for the gear vendor clearance. The cam is just 246/254 so it is fairly mild but adding to the diameter is going to make the sound more aggressive and the engine will see more load with the tight converter which will add to the sound. I just hope that I won't get into the dreaded "drone". Being able to install myself without going to a muffler shop and the 13 positive responses about the tti system that I got here, sealed the deal.

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1700800
11/20/14 10:30 AM
11/20/14 10:30 AM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
On my install on my '69 Charger Daytona, I rounded off the housing on the topside ( basically rounding the square casting in a circular shape following the attach bolt. I used a heavy impact socket to make a curved "dimple" in my floor pan where the GV housing was close. I used some paint on the housing to mark where it touched. Then, I enlongated the holes of the crossmember upwards (a slight oval shape as opposed the circle). This caused the overall unit to drop a wee bit more for clearnance. I haven't had any issues and have hundreds of miles on it.

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1700801
11/20/14 07:35 PM
11/20/14 07:35 PM
Beavercreek, Ohio
OA5599 Offline
super stock
OA5599  Offline
super stock

Beavercreek, Ohio
Quote:

That was one reason I chose the tti, they make headpipes specifically for the gear vendor clearance. The cam is just 246/254 so it is fairly mild but adding to the diameter is going to make the sound more aggressive and the engine will see more load with the tight converter which will add to the sound. I just hope that I won't get into the dreaded "drone". Being able to install myself without going to a muffler shop and the 13 positive responses about the tti system that I got here, sealed the deal.

No drone problems here with 3" Ultraflo. Best sounding full exhaust I have ever heard, in my humble opinion. I think you will be very happy. I have several videos on my YouTube page before and after the stroker. Some vids with other muffles I didn't care for as much, too.

http://youtu.be/IoV0rg3vuww

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: OA5599] #1700802
11/20/14 08:03 PM
11/20/14 08:03 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I have the 3" Ultra-Flo mufflers in the Charger. The engine is a 440/493 with 10 to 1 compression and a 261/271 @ .050 solid cam. I had Flowmasters but wanted a quieter cruise tone. These new mufflers are fantastic...relatively quiet at idle and cruise but with a great sound under throttle.

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: Kern Dog] #1700803
11/20/14 11:46 PM
11/20/14 11:46 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Thanks guys, you are making me feel better about the decision on the exhaust, after all, given the total project, it is a lot of money and I would hate to regret it. Thanks again for your feedback, I can't wait to hear the exhaust and feel the difference with the tightened converter.
Now on to the install. At first, I could not understand what was going on. With the Gear Vendor adapter on the trans, EVERYTHING was too high. The headers were tilted up, the engine lost some of it's tilt and of course the flange that mated the adapter to the overdrive unit was flush against the driveshaft/transmission tunnel. Careful inspection revealed that the position of the trans mounting point was lower than the same point in the stock tailshaft. This was causing the whole unit to be too high, causing the interference and misalignment. Everyone has had to deal with this, modifying the crosmember & mount, extreme "massaging" the tunnel excessively, etc. What I did was take the stock mount to a good friend and customer who built me a new mount 5/8" shorter than the original. It took him about an hour, including painting. To look at it, you couldn't tell it wasn't original except the rubber was not in the middle but instead we used a piece of 80 durometer urethane on the bottom. With this installed, everything aligned PERFECTLY! The 5/8" at the mount equaled 7/8-1" at the flange/tunnel, plenty of clearance!
I just couldn't beat the perfect floor pans of this car unmercifully, after all, it has been a good car for a long time. LOL.

Re: gear vendor install question, trans mount [Re: OA5599] #1700804
11/20/14 11:50 PM
11/20/14 11:50 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

No drone problems here with 3" Ultraflo. Best sounding full exhaust I have ever heard, in my humble opinion. I think you will be very happy. I have several videos on my YouTube page before and after the stroker. Some vids with other muffles I didn't care for as much, too.

Thanks, your car sounds great!

http://youtu.be/IoV0rg3vuww