North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I don't push customers one way or the other either....but...as I stated, I TIG everything, MS or Moly. Here in this area, DOM is NOT that much cheaper than Moly, so, if you are only looking at a couple hundred dollars more for a Moly vs MS, what would you do Bob. You also have to consider my customer base. I do very little bracket type stuff and 25.5 is about the least spec we ever build. I also still maintain that Moly cars are worth more at resale and more desirable to potential buyers.

Monte

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Rapid588] #169653
12/19/08 03:42 PM
12/19/08 03:42 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

RADICALLY different cage designs as far as I am concerned, and the material has less to do with these " crash effect" differences than the structural layout.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Monte_Smith] #169654
12/19/08 03:51 PM
12/19/08 03:51 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I don't push customers one way or the other either....but...as I stated, I TIG everything, MS or Moly. Here in this area, DOM is NOT that much cheaper than Moly, so, if you are only looking at a couple hundred dollars more for a Moly vs MS, what would you do Bob. You also have to consider my customer base. I do very little bracket type stuff and 25.5 is about the least spec we ever build. I also still maintain that Moly cars are worth more at resale and more desirable to potential buyers.

Monte

I'am not dis-agreeing with you Monte.I'am just stating facts from my perspective.The majority of our work is bracket cars.You deal with a limited market like you stated,25.5 spec and up.I try to relate to the majority of people on the site.I think you agree that most adverage racers here,including me are not in your league.My comments and advice is for us regular kinda of racers.Sorry if you think I was stepping on your toes.I not worthy of that.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: B G Racing] #169655
12/19/08 08:16 PM
12/19/08 08:16 PM
Wild West
M_D Offline
pro stock
M_D  Offline
pro stock

Wild West
The cage design in the above photo examples were different, and chances are the mild steel cars were heavier too. Also, even though they all went on their tops, it's hard to say exactly where and how much the forces actually were. So I don't think the photos prove much of anything regarding MS versus CM. Having said that, I have nothing agaist CM, in fact I am of about the same mind as Monte and personally TIG everything and use only CM for reasons he stated.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #169656
12/19/08 08:53 PM
12/19/08 08:53 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

RADICALLY different cage designs as far as I am concerned, and the material has less to do with these " crash effect" differences than the structural layout.

And most good design practices try to avoid "bending" in the first place, striving for just simple tension and compression forces thru triangulation, which negates much of the wall thickness advantages mentioned before. And most of these discussions usually result in those who are striving for crash protection, and the other camp striving for the most efficient and stiffess design, with the least material and lightest solution. Never ends.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: M_D] #169657
12/19/08 08:54 PM
12/19/08 08:54 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
As I said I agree with Monte also for the upper end type of cars that he builds he is absolutey correct.If we were responding soley to those type of racers.That clientale is not the norm at most race venues.They are regulate to Quick 16, and such.At any give race they are luckey to have a fast program.The super pro and pro classes number in the hundereds at most events.Monte and I are certainly not at odds here we just are preaching to different congregations.We certainly can respect what Monte does and probably wouldn't make a pimple on his butt at what he does.If asked I might be able to write a paragraph or two about what I know about N2O and I certainly won't try building any T/F,Pro-Stock or Pro Mods chassis in the near future or in my life time.But we do well at what we do and are willing to share our opinions and limited knowledge.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: B G Racing] #169658
12/19/08 11:31 PM
12/19/08 11:31 PM
Missouri
C
Challenger Offline
enthusiast
Challenger  Offline
enthusiast
C

Missouri
Its all been some good reading here. A month ago my steel supplier the difference between DOM and CM was 40 cents a foot. He said he dont sell to much DOM anymore.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Monte_Smith] #169659
12/20/08 11:51 AM
12/20/08 11:51 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

I don't push customers one way or the other either....but...as I stated, I TIG everything, MS or Moly.

Monte

Im curious as to why M/S cages are TIG'ed. The test of a weld is that when you try to pull it apart, the material around it fails before the weld. Since a MIG weld has a larger radius than a TIG you end up with a larger surface area and (theoretically) a stronger weld. Is it for looks? A good TIG weld is usually nicer looking, but it is usually easier to get a MIG gun into the cramped areas, and you don't have to deal with trying to operate the pedal with your knee, etc. Keep in mind, I am asking this as an honest question; I know that you are a very competent builder and am not trying to insult you.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Evil Spirit] #169660
12/20/08 12:21 PM
12/20/08 12:21 PM
Sherwood park, Alberta.
go green Offline
super stock
go green  Offline
super stock

Sherwood park, Alberta.

With the MIG is a one shot deal .You start the weld and your committed to the end. Starts and stops are more noticeable . With TIG you can weld one inch.. stop..reposition yourself .. and proceed and it will look like a continuous weld.
The appearance of the MIG weld is just not as nice as a TIG weld , In the end result , everyone wants a tight and professional looking weld that you are trusting your life to.

6.50 @ 226 MPH 4.25 @ 186 MPH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX86DHGKBo0
Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Evil Spirit] #169661
12/20/08 12:40 PM
12/20/08 12:40 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

I don't push customers one way or the other either....but...as I stated, I TIG everything, MS or Moly.

Monte

Im curious as to why M/S cages are TIG'ed. The test of a weld is that when you try to pull it apart, the material around it fails before the weld. Since a MIG weld has a larger radius than a TIG you end up with a larger surface area and (theoretically) a stronger weld. Is it for looks? A good TIG weld is usually nicer looking, but it is usually easier to get a MIG gun into the cramped areas, and you don't have to deal with trying to operate the pedal with your knee, etc. Keep in mind, I am asking this as an honest question; I know that you are a very competent builder and am not trying to insult you.

A few of us here at BGR can make just as nice a weld with a mig as they can with a tig.It's just a little bigger weld.MS cages are usually .135 thick so when you weld two pieces of .135 material you want at least .270+- of weld width and at least the same weld thickness of the the material .135+- at the crown.These specs are from the Steamfitters weld testing for power plants and pressure vessels. But then what in hell do I know,I was only certified in only 5 states for bridge and structural and heavy equipment modification and repair.I was a student of the late Art Livinston one of the best in the business.I didn't take the test for nucular power plants.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: B G Racing] #169662
12/20/08 01:06 PM
12/20/08 01:06 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
A few of us here at BGR can make just as nice a weld with a mig as they can with a tig.It's just a little bigger weld.MS cages are usually .135 thick so when you weld two pieces of .135 material you want at least .270+- of weld width and at least the same weld thickness of the the material .135+- at the crown.These specs are from the Steamfitters weld testing for power plants and pressure vessels. But then what in hell do I know,I was only certified in only 5 states for bridge and structural and heavy equipment modification and repair.I was a student of the late Art Livinston one of the best in the business.I didn't take the test for nucular power plants.

You never win on Mopars using facts and logic - you should know better!!! As we know, any weld quality, both appearance and integrity, is dependant on materials used, surface fit/prep, and welder skills. As I said, I am trying to get an answer without trying to insult anybody.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: B G Racing] #169663
12/20/08 01:10 PM
12/20/08 01:10 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Nice resume, but IMO you didn't answer his question.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: jcc] #169664
12/20/08 01:17 PM
12/20/08 01:17 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
The question wasn't directed at BGR - it was initially asked of Monty - he stated that he TIGs all cages, and I was politely asking why the preference of TIG over MIG. If it's for appearance, OK. If it's structural, how?

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Evil Spirit] #169665
12/20/08 01:51 PM
12/20/08 01:51 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

The question wasn't directed at BGR - it was initially asked of Monty - he stated that he TIGs all cages, and I was politely asking why the preference of TIG over MIG. If it's for appearance, OK. If it's structural, how?

I would rather TIG a cage, mostly because of appearance. I don't care how good you are with wire, a TIG weld looks better than a MIG by far. The weld is small and clean, plus there is no splatter. TIG welding also requires very precise fits, which again, makes the weld and the overall cage look better. As I stated, if I do use MS, it is DOM .120 wall. I never use that thick .134 wall stuff, as it is heavy, plus the spec is .120, so why use thicker. DOM will pass every time.....I never said everybody needed a MOLY cage...all I said was that since I TIG everything anyway and Moly is barely higher than DOM, it made no sense for ME to use MS, even on a simple cage. If you are thinking it would cost more for me to put a cage in your car, than a lot of other people, you would be right. I never claim to be the cheapest at anything, nor do I wish to be. I am a one man show and high quality is very important to me. If someone does not want to pay the extra for me to do something, I fully understand and have no hard feelings if they take it somewhere else. That has never been a problem though, as my backlog of work is pretty large.

Monte

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Monte_Smith] #169666
12/20/08 03:23 PM
12/20/08 03:23 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Yeah, Monty, TIGed cages usually do look better, due to the better fit necessary and the quality of the welds. I was just curious as to your earlier post. I probably get involved with about 1-2 cages a year; I'll fit and tack them together and have someone more "ergonomically friendly" (100 lbs smaller) weld them in. We TIG C/M and MIG M/S - if they want a M/S TIGed, I tell them why I don't like to, and let them deal directly with my welder, or theirs after I do the basic fit and tack weld.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: LA360] #169667
12/20/08 05:08 PM
12/20/08 05:08 PM
Right Coast
Fabman Offline
master
Fabman  Offline
master

Right Coast
Quote:

Quote:

Looking at that cage, a gusset to the windscreen bar and Door bar could have minimised that. It certainly does look worrying though. I can also see why certain builders use a straight bar from the door bar footing to where the windscreen bar joins the door bar.
AL....

Alan

Anyway you can post a pic of the gusset you are speaking about for this fix?

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: Evil Spirit] #169668
12/20/08 08:16 PM
12/20/08 08:16 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
You never win on Mopars using facts and logic - you should know better!!! As we know, any weld quality, both appearance and integrity, is dependant on materials used, surface fit/prep, and welder skills. As I said, I am trying to get an answer without trying to insult anybody.

I don't think anyone is being insulted,just two different schools of thought and opinions.That I never win with facts and logic is not important.That I can back up my statments with fact and logic is.To say this is the correct way because that's how I do it is like me telling everyone"trust me"the check is in the mail We all know how that ends up. We cannot afford to choose to weld just cause it looks good.All our welds are subject to x-ray,mag-partical,and sonic testing as well as all our test welds are subject to destructive and non-destructive testing.We certainly don't want a bridge or tunnel to collaspe or a dam to fail.We carry our professionalism back to the shop at BGR.So trust me

Last edited by B G Racing; 12/20/08 10:36 PM.
Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: jcc] #169669
12/20/08 08:31 PM
12/20/08 08:31 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Im curious as to why M/S cages are TIG'ed. The test of a weld is that when you try to pull it apart, the material around it fails before the weld. Since a MIG weld has a larger radius than a TIG you end up with a larger surface area and (theoretically) a stronger weld. Is it for looks? A good TIG weld is usually nicer looking, but it is usually easier to get a MIG gun into the cramped areas, and you don't have to deal with trying to operate the pedal with your knee,

Nice resume, but IMO you didn't answer his question.

Thanks for the compliment on the resume.For that tight cage work set you TIG up with a small torch head and a thumb control.We hardly ever have to remove headliners on cars with full interior.Foot pedals are ok for bench work.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? [Re: B G Racing] #169670
12/21/08 02:48 AM
12/21/08 02:48 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Just kidding about the facts and logic, Bob. And like I said, I don't fit into the car to do the welding so I leave it up to the welder to do his thing; I think he finally bought the small torch that you mentioned. A few years ago I did a Mustang for a friend, and I hole-sawed holes under the floor plates. We fit the floor plates, loop, back bars, halo, and front down bars, then slid the floor plates out to drop the cage to weld. After the cage was welded we slid the floor plates back in, welded the tubes and floor, and braced the bottom of the floor to the rocker boxes. Came out really sweet. It wasn't as much work as it might sound, and it really got the halo tucked up into the roof.

Re: moly or mildsteel cage? *DELETED* [Re: Evil Spirit] #169671
12/21/08 09:42 AM
12/21/08 09:42 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Post deleted by B G Racing

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4