11/05/14 10:26 AM
11/05/14 10:26 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great looking head but so what--$2K range??? I think that slot has been covered by EZ etc
I think the race is the other way--To the BOTTOM! As most of our builds are STREET units now compared to race I think the Sidewinder kind of head for around $800 range is what I am looking for!!!! I build many Chevy and Fords--I use fantastic aluminum heads that cost the shop around $600 range so when a Mopar head comes along like that I will buy a pallet of them--It will happen sooner or later--I can take a head like that build an EASY Breezy 525 HP and that is all a street car will ever need --a REAL 500 plus HP on the street is a killer fun unit---Customers that call asking for 700 HP pump gas street engines --when interviewed--have usually never even had an engine before and have no idea--when they get the cost diff they usually go for a decent reasonable priced 500 HP unit --when they get it in with correct converter etc they are always Thrilled!!
Give me a cheapo alum head --that will make me happier than a 400 CFM wedge head ANY day!!!
one or two hundred folks here want a 1000 HP pump gas engine--the rest of the world can get by with
what is really one heck of an engine--just not one you would read about.

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1694164
11/05/14 11:56 AM
11/05/14 11:56 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hey Brian,

Can you tell us if either one of the next two versions will need piston changes?

Thanks
Damon

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: mopardamo] #1694165
11/05/14 12:05 PM
11/05/14 12:05 PM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
What's the valve length? Stock 4.9"? Those valve sizes make me hope they used Cleveland valves, 5.2 ish" and raised the ports some.

Crab, this is an EZ, without the hassle of dealing with Indy and that clownshoe nonsense. S/F....Ken M

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: mopardamo] #1694166
11/05/14 12:59 PM
11/05/14 12:59 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Hey Brian,

Can you tell us if either one of the next two versions will need piston changes?

Thanks
Damon

What's the BIG deal about changing pistons?????????? Heck its done everyday. Some guys want to go fast.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1694167
11/05/14 01:47 PM
11/05/14 01:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Unlike every single mopar head out there, these heads are a TRUE bolt on!
And they actually flow as advertised...and they have upgraded hardware.

This is the first of 3 heads they will offer...

Take note what they flow, the quality castings, machine work and parts, then compare them with Eddy or whoever's heads. You'll quickly see they are priced damn good!

For you to say that, I would assume you have a set, and have personally flowed them ??? Please share the details and some photos...Thanks !

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: EchoSixMike] #1694168
11/05/14 01:54 PM
11/05/14 01:54 PM
Romulus, MI
GTS340 Offline
mopar
GTS340  Offline
mopar

Romulus, MI
Quote:

Crab, this is an EZ, without the hassle of dealing with Indy and that clownshoe nonsense. S/F....Ken M

Are you considering them an EZ based on the similar flow numbers? Having 240cc intake runners after being CNC machined they are still 30cc smaller than the as cast EZ. I wonder how the CSA compares to the EZ.
Anyone know where runner volume ends up on the RPM/Stealth that have been CNC'd by Modern?

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: ] #1694169
11/05/14 02:25 PM
11/05/14 02:25 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

Take note what they flow, the quality castings, machine work and parts, then compare them with Eddy or whoever's heads. You'll quickly see they are priced damn good!

For you to say that, I would assume you have a set, and have personally flowed them ??? Please share the details and some photos...Thanks !

I have to follow chain of command, sorry.

Just like the Edelbrock RPM heads are NOT RACE heads, neither are these...I see a lot of mixup about a race head vs. a performance head.
Yes you can race anything, but this first head is not a RACE head...it's intended for performance, quality, and value.
Can't please everybody that's for sure!!

Brian Hafliger
Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1694170
11/05/14 02:57 PM
11/05/14 02:57 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

My $.02 -- or maybe more like my $.10 -- on this subject:

1. Based on what I see in how Trick Flow prices their other heads w/ comparable features, I'm expecting them to be $2000-2200 a pair assembled. Not sure if I see a solid roller-type spring option listed, though.

2. I believe I could take those heads, put 'em on my 452 RB shortblock, stick in the 265 @ .050" x .650" solid roller I got from Dwayne Porter, drop on my plenum-ported Edelbrock Victor intake & one of my carbs and make 640+ HP on pump gas, easily enough to put my street/strip E-body into the low 10s. It ran 10.5s w/ 610 HP on Dwayne's dyno, so it looks reasonable to me that those heads and a nice roller would pick it up at least a couple of tenths.

3. They're sized (runner volume) much better for a 450-ish cube application than someting like a standard Indy EZ, because the EZ runners are just tapered-down MW-sized runners. The velocity on the Trick Flow head is probably way better across the lift range than a modified standard-port size EZ, even if the flow #s aren't as good. An EZ is really just a Max Wedge port waiting for a grinder to open up the entry, which puts the CSA and runner volume up to IMO what's much better suited to a 500" application.

4. They've got a better chamber than any that Edelbrock offers for the Performer RPM (or what Stealth & Sidewinder copied), the OOB CNC porting and decent flow #s are reasonable for that size of head, and they won't require any special valve train. If I wasn't already vested in Edelbrock Victors (own one ported set & the requisite offset intake rockers & roller lifters, and have another unported set on hand for a future project), I'd be giving these Trick Flows a serious look... or waiting to see what the "intermediate" set that Brian hinted about looks like.

5. Yeah, they need to fill in that gap on the intake manifold side to let people punt the OEM-type valley pan.

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: BradH] #1694171
11/05/14 03:11 PM
11/05/14 03:11 PM
Romulus, MI
GTS340 Offline
mopar
GTS340  Offline
mopar

Romulus, MI
Quote:

My $.02 -- or maybe more like my $.10 -- on this subject:

2. I believe I could take those heads, put 'em on my 452 RB shortblock, stick in the 265 @ .050" x .650" solid roller I got from Dwayne Porter, drop on my plenum-ported Edelbrock Victor intake & one of my carbs and make 640+ HP on pump gas, easily enough to put my street/strip E-body into the low 10s. It ran 10.5s w/ 610 HP on Dwayne's dyno, so it looks reasonable to me that those heads and a nice roller would pick it up at least a couple of tenths.

3. They're sized (runner volume) much better for a 450-ish cube application than someting like a standard Indy EZ, because the EZ runners are just tapered-down MW-sized runners. The velocity on the Trick Flow head is probably way better across the lift range than a modified standard-port size EZ, even if the flow #s aren't as good. An EZ is really just a Max Wedge port waiting for a grinder to open up the entry, which puts the CSA and runner volume up to IMO what's much better suited to a 500" application.

4. They've got a better chamber than any that Edelbrock offers for the Performer RPM (or what Stealth & Sidewinder copied), the OOB CNC porting and decent flow #s are reasonable for that size of head, and they won't require any special valve train. If I wasn't already vested in Edelbrock Victors (own one ported set & w/ the requisite offset intake rockers & roller lifters, and have another unported set on hand for a future project), I'd be giving these Trick Flows a serious look... or waiting to see what the "intermediate" set that Brian hinted about looks like.

I agree, fills the void between the small 210cc RPM and the necked down max wedge 270cc EZ. Be great for 440-470 CID engines. Anyone remember what the intake runner size options were on the Chapman heads?

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: GTS340] #1694172
11/05/14 03:40 PM
11/05/14 03:40 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Nice head with a nice design that puts Trick Flow right in the middle of the market of the most common BBM heads. Great for Trick Flow, but does NOTHING for those of us who want something NEW to make big power with.

Monte

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: pittsburghracer] #1694173
11/05/14 03:42 PM
11/05/14 03:42 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Quote:

Hey Brian,

Thanks
Damon

What's the BIG deal about changing pistons?????????? Heck its done everyday. Some guys want to go fast.

Some guys can spend a ton on a motor upgrade and others can't, pistons cost money, labor is certainly worth money even if you do it yourself, re-balancing costs money then if you want a different head someday you got to do the whole thing again... that is the big deal with piston swaps. Also you are gonna have a hard time getting anyone to stock a piston like that so you spend more on a piston and have more wait time. Gonna cost $6000+ at a shop.

VS pull off your old POS 906's and bolt on a more powerful lighter weight, more efficient set of trick flows. You could be under $3000 paying a shop to do it for you.

My customers are all like crabmans, 500 real HP and they can't believe it. They are so used to riding in their buddys 500 hp 350 with an aluminum intake and headers, they have no idea what a real 500 HP is like.

The only thing they really missed the boat on is not doing a SB first. There are soooooo many 92-02 ram, dakota, durango owners with cracked heads who want a big jump in power and weight loss not to mention how easy and smart it is to retrofit the old LAs shame shame for not jumping on that market when the BB market they jumped in is flooded already. The eddy magnum heads are not bolt on ootb, can't use stock rockers, need hard pushrods, guides are too tight and the valves are heavier than stock... RHS and EQ are iron and almost fixed the problem but are heavier than stock instead of lighter and it is tough to convince someone an iron head is any upgrade.

There must be something about jumping in a crowded market that is over my head just like how Lowes always builds across the street from Home depot, Autozone accross from advance auto parts, Mc Donalds accross from Burger king...

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: HotRodDave] #1694174
11/05/14 04:01 PM
11/05/14 04:01 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline OP
master
BBR  Offline OP
master

Amarillo, Texas
That they are producing ANYTHING for an engine that was last installed in a vehicle in 1978, is freaking cool.

Enjoy it.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: BBR] #1694175
11/05/14 04:09 PM
11/05/14 04:09 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I think I am gonna enjoy it (got a customer looking at them already this morning!) I am just perplexed at a company ignoring one big market to get into an already crowded one

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: Monte_Smith] #1694176
11/05/14 04:27 PM
11/05/14 04:27 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Nice head with a nice design that puts Trick Flow right in the middle of the market of the most common BBM heads. Great for Trick Flow, but does NOTHING for those of us who want something NEW to make big power with.

Monte

I look at it this way. You gotta start somewhere and build from there. I sat and talked to these guys for several hours over the past 3 years at Norwalk and they offer some very nice looking products. I for one am happy to see them jump into the Mopar market and look for great things in the future.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: HotRodDave] #1694177
11/05/14 04:33 PM
11/05/14 04:33 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Brian,

Thanks
Damon

Some guys can spend a ton on a motor upgrade and others can't, pistons cost money, labor is certainly worth money even if you do it yourself, re-balancing costs money then if you want a different head someday you got to do the whole thing again... that is the big deal with piston swaps. Also you are gonna have a hard time getting anyone to stock a piston like that so you spend more on a piston and have more wait time. Gonna cost $6000+ at a shop.

VS pull off your old POS 906's and bolt on a more powerful lighter weight, more efficient set of trick flows. You could be under $3000 paying a shop to do it for you.

My customers are all like crabmans, 500 real HP and they can't believe it. They are so used to riding in their buddys 500 hp 350 with an aluminum intake and headers, they have no idea what a real 500 HP is like.

The only thing they really missed the boat on is not doing a SB first. There are soooooo many 92-02 ram, dakota, durango owners with cracked heads who want a big jump in power and weight loss not to mention how easy and smart it is to retrofit the old LAs shame shame for not jumping on that market when the BB market they jumped in is flooded already. The eddy magnum heads are not bolt on ootb, can't use stock rockers, need hard pushrods, guides are too tight and the valves are heavier than stock... RHS and EQ are iron and almost fixed the problem but are heavier than stock instead of lighter and it is tough to convince someone an iron head is any upgrade.

There must be something about jumping in a crowded market that is over my head just like how Lowes always builds across the street from Home depot, Autozone accross from advance auto parts, Mc Donalds accross from Burger king...

The question is HOW many direct bolt on heads do we need. That market is saturated already with sub-par performance heads. Until you make the need for different rockers, intakes, and pistons your performance gains are limited. I really really pushed for a better small block head in my discussions with them and they are very open minded but someone lead them in this direction first.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: 67Satty] #1694178
11/05/14 05:12 PM
11/05/14 05:12 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

So are these going to cost about the same as Edelbrock RPMs about the same as standard-port Indy EZs about the same as CNC-Stealths? Is it supposed to be a secret right now

Prices are not Concrete yet so that's why nobody is saying but the should be less than 2K. Not bad for an aluminum performance BB head that can be bolted on and ran.

Brian Hafliger
Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1694179
11/05/14 05:21 PM
11/05/14 05:21 PM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Quote:

Quote:

So are these going to cost about the same as Edelbrock RPMs about the same as standard-port Indy EZs about the same as CNC-Stealths? Is it supposed to be a secret right now

Prices are not Concrete yet so that's why nobody is saying but the should be less than 2K. Not bad for an aluminum performance BB head that can be bolted on and ran.

Thanks for the info so far!

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1694180
11/05/14 05:27 PM
11/05/14 05:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to follow chain of command, sorry.

Not sure what that means, but....Do You Have, or have you had a set of these Heads ???

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: ] #1694181
11/05/14 05:43 PM
11/05/14 05:43 PM
Oil City PA
1baddart Offline
1baddart  Offline

Oil City PA
Good lord do I hope they come out with a good alternative for us bigger cube guys. Something to give indys or even b1s a run for their money!

Re: Trick Flow introduces BBM heads [Re: ] #1694182
11/05/14 05:57 PM
11/05/14 05:57 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

Do You Have, or have you had a set of these Heads ???

Any chance you're related to the late Senator Joseph McCarthy?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9