10/24/14 04:15 PM
10/24/14 04:15 PM
RI
cudascooter Offline OP
enthusiast
cudascooter  Offline OP
enthusiast

RI
I have a 70 Cuda 440-6 with the original 4 speed and 4.10 dana. However, I have the original bare block and intake, no engine internals etc. I would like it to look stock under the hood. My assumption is to buy a quality new crank and rods as those can not be seen. I believe the harmonic balancer is different than a tradditional 440, I would like the correct looking one. The cylinder heads, better off with a used set or better off with a new set that look correct? Are the correct heads readily available? The camshaft, i have been told that I am better off with a hydraulic roller camshaft. They make more power and better off than a solid lifter type... Sorry about the book, I am new to the site and appreciate the input.
Thanks!!

Re: 440-6 guidance [Re: cudascooter] #1690059
10/24/14 05:33 PM
10/24/14 05:33 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Six paks rock I've built, owned, race and abuse more than one motor combination using them As buying a new crank and rods I would buy a 4.25 stroke stroker kit from your favorite parts vendor, like 440 Source There are othhers out there also I buy my stroker cranks from Ohio Crankshaft Company with the BB Chevy 2,200 size rod journals and good brand of 7.100 long forged steel H beam rods from a good souce like Molnar, Scat, Ohoi Crank CO or others, your choice. Piston will need to be made to match your combination to make sure ou can safely run todays pump swill If your going to use iron heads mske sure to keep the compression ratio at or below 9.5 to 1 I built a similar combination, pump gas, 906 heads, six pak intake and stock OEM type vacume 1970 carbs, it was a 400 block ,505 C.I., with a Eddy low deck sixpak intake, it had a custom ground Comp Cams solid roller cam and roller lifters in it.I had several different sets of six pak carbs at that time, I sent one stock set off to C&J Engr. to have them custom build them for my motor, they made 605 HP and 640 Ft.Lbs torque on a DTS engine dyno in Ontario, CA on CA pump swill back in 2002 or so Lots of choices out there, have fun

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: 440-6 guidance [Re: Cab_Burge] #1690060
10/24/14 05:55 PM
10/24/14 05:55 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
What are you trying to do with the car? Keep it stock looking? Go fast? Budget?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 440-6 guidance [Re: cudascooter] #1690061
10/24/14 09:43 PM
10/24/14 09:43 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I believe the harmonic balancer is different than a tradditional 440, I would like the correct looking one. The cylinder heads, better off with a used set or better off with a new set that look correct? Sorry about the book, I am new to the site

Welcome aboard! that ain't a book, you're new you'll see . My next one & what I would suggest is a 4.5" stroke crank/rods/pistons from 440 source (as you said it'd be hidden). 906 heads which are what you had originally are readily available used & with a stroker they would hold you back but you could have em ported to the max. the only issue (for you) is the 4.5 stroker requires external oiling which'd be a pickup in the bottom side of the pan and a braided line to the oil pump. Not sure what the strok(er) limit for not needing that is but 'source would know. Not sure what balancer you had originally but someone here does & with a stroker you'd just have it in the parts pile given to your crank guy when you have it all balanced

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 440-6 guidance [Re: cudascooter] #1690062
10/24/14 10:37 PM
10/24/14 10:37 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Online Rolleyes
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Quote:

I have a 70 Cuda 440-6 with the original 4 speed and 4.10 dana. However, I have the original bare block and intake, no engine internals etc. I would like it to look stock under the hood. My assumption is to buy a quality new crank and rods as those can not be seen. I believe the harmonic balancer is different than a tradditional 440, I would like the correct looking one. The cylinder heads, better off with a used set or better off with a new set that look correct? Are the correct heads readily available? The camshaft, i have been told that I am better off with a hydraulic roller camshaft. They make more power and better off than a solid lifter type... Sorry about the book, I am new to the site and appreciate the input.
Thanks!!

The 6BBL balancer looks different than the 4BBL. I don't know for sure, but I would think that it could be balanced to your new internals. It and the flywheel are unique due to the different pistons and rods. Additional external weights, if I remember correctly. I would be a little concerned about their integrity as old as they are now. Can they be rebuilt? I don't know.

On the heads, give us some more info on the engine and it's intended use. That way guys can point you in the right direction. But to look right, you will need some heads from the 70s. The new aluminum heads out now would do a much better job on your engine, but they do not look at all like the originals.

Hydraulic roller cam set-ups are expensive. Again, lay out your intentions and there are many here that can help you with cam and head recommendations. But the only heads that will look correct are the heads from that period of time. And they will limit the amount of power and displacement that you will likely make. Unless you intend to throw a bunch of money at it.

Master, again and still
Re: 440-6 guidance [Re: DaveRS23] #1690063
10/27/14 10:40 AM
10/27/14 10:40 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
You surely aren't building the original 6bl block for extensive power are you. If your building for originality and want better pieces internally use H-beam rods and a lighter piston then have it balanced to the special offset weight 6 pack balancer. Use the 906 or 452 head with hard seats installed with stainless valves and good guides installed then have some valve pocket bowl work done with a good 38/45/60/75 valve seat job done. Mill heads to get a good final squench area. For user friendly operation use a good standard hydraulic cam to keep the cost down,and use a good oil.

MLR426