07/27/14 08:48 PM
South San Francisco, Californi...
MidPenMopar Offline OP
Looking for fun? Keep looking
MidPenMopar  Offline OP

Quote:

For a stock rebuild I'd use a fresh crush sleeve.

Here's what one looks like.

That one is not at all what mine looks like though??

Mine for the 8.75 is way longer and tapered like this.

Re: Problem with my axle berrings [Re: Challenger 1] #1646051
07/28/14 01:07 AM
07/28/14 01:07 AM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stu IIRC you have a 489 case.Unless you replace the crush sleeve it might eat another bearing.Thats why the sell an eliminator for it.You can set up the old one but its a pain.Removing the yoke you have to get the crush sleeve almost perfect to where it was.Rocky

Rocky -

Tell me about the crush sleeve eliminator. I need to do a pinion seal on my 489 and have been putting it off because of the crush sleeve.

A crush sleeve is a one time use collapsible spacer that helps set the pinion bearings preload.
Once you disassemble it for a new anything, a new one must be used to achieve proper preload for the pinion bearings.

A solid pinion preload spacer can be used and is better, but it must be custom installed and turned down to the exact length needed for proper pre-load.
This all needs to be done/setup with custom milled/turned pinion bearings that have oversize IDs so they slip on and off the pinion to determine pinion pre load spacer thickness. Can't use pressed fit bearing races on the pinion until you can/determine find proper pre load thickness. I have done it several times. So using and installing one(solid spacer,crush sleeve eliminator, etc) is not easy to install.

For a stock rebuild I'd use a fresh crush sleeve.

So if a guy just needed to replace a leaking pinion seal on a 489 and wanted to keep it simple, what would you recommend?

Re: Problem with my axle berrings [Re: MidPenMopar] #1646052
07/28/14 02:34 AM
07/28/14 02:34 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Stu what brand is your A/F ratio meter ? I bought the latest Innovate Motorsports MTX-L and the instruction say the sensor needs to be 24 inches behind the end of the collector to get an accurate reading .

Yes the meter was run from the sensor up through the engine compartment and out the hood. Then into the interior where you can watch it as you drive.

Right now it was reading 13.00 to 13.55 when at freeway speeds but dropped to 11 to 12 at low speed. This will again need adjusting to help the low speed ratio.

Even not perfect the car ran 10 times better already! Keep in mind i also have a way to large cam profile that i am sure is hindering any low speed performance.

Sru I was talking about your sensor being mounted in the collector where it is , the directions should have told whomever installed that were to put it , the one I have the sensor needs to be mounted in the head pipe , not the header.

Re: Problem with my axle berrings [Re: JohnRR] #1646053
07/28/14 10:02 AM
07/28/14 10:02 AM
MidPenMopar Offline OP
MidPenMopar  Offline OP

Quote:

Sru I was talking about your sensor being mounted in the collector where it is , the directions should have told whomever installed that were to put it , the one I have the sensor needs to be mounted in the head pipe , not the header.

Ok John, i misread your question. When i see see my friend again i will ask why he mounted it there and not further back on the exhaust system.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3